HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Chester County Markers
South Carolina (Chester County), Beckhamville — 12-6 — Alexander's Old Fields
The skirmish which took place here at Alexander's Old Fields, now Beckhamville, on June 6, 1780, was the first victory for S.C. Patriots after the fall of Charleston. A band of Whigs under the command of Captain John McClure attacked and routed an assembly of Loyalist. The victory helped solidify resistance to the Crown in this up country area. — Map (db m13688) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Beckhamville — Battle Of Beckhamville May 1780
British under Houseman surprised and defeated by band of 33 patriots under Capt. John McLure with 9 Gaston brothers and neighbors, who struck first blow for liberty and resisted attempt to subject people to oath of allegiance to king. — Map (db m13689) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Beckhamville — 12-1 — Catholic Presbyterian Church
One mile south. Divergent Presbyterian groups held services in this area as early as 1759. Rev. William Richardson, active in the area, is credited with unifying and naming them in 1770. The cemetery contains many graves of Revolutionary and Confederate soldiers. The present building was dedicated in 1842. — Map (db m13687) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Blackstock — Burrel Hemphill
In memory of Burrel Hemphill killed by Union Soldiers Feb. 1865 although a slave he gave his life rather than betray a trust He was a member of Hopewell — Map (db m14282) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Chester — Aaron Burr Rock
In 1806 Aaron Burr while passing through Chester a prisoner dismounted on this rock and appealed in vain to the citizens for help. — Map (db m14273) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Chester — 12-10 — Brainerd Institute
This institute grew out of an 1866 school for freedmen; it became Brainerd Institute in 1868 when the Board of Missions of the Presbyterian Church in New York appointed Rev. Samuel Loomis to help establish churches and schools among the blacks near Chester. At first an elementary school. Brainerd grew to ten grades by 1913 and was a four-year high school by the 1920s. Renamed Brainerd Junior College about 1935, it emphasized teacher training until it closed in 1939. — Map (db m14280) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Chester — Chester Confederate Monument
. . . — Map (db m14269) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Chester — 12-9 — Chester County Courthouse
This courthouse, built in 1852, was designed by Edward Brickell White (1802-1888) of Charleston, whose work was greatly influenced by Robert Mills. Additions by Alfred D. Gilchrist of Rock Hill in 1896 and 1928 included three-story rear wings and a rotunda. An elevator tower added to the rear wing, designed in 1994 by Frank M. Williams, complements the designs of White and Gilchrist. — Map (db m14276) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Chester — Colonel Robert Patton 1737-1807
Revolutionary War Soldier and Patriot SC Militia under General Thomas Sumter Justice of the Peace Tax Inquirer & Collector Member Committee of Elections Member, 1st & 2nd Provincial Congresses Member, General Assemblies — Map (db m13767) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Chester — 12-7 — Fishing Creek Church
Presbyterian church reportedly est. 1752. Present building, enclosed with brick in 1958, dates from 1785. Cemetery contains pioneer settlers and veterans of many wars. — Map (db m13759) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Chester — Fishing Creek Confederate Monument
In Memory of Our Confederate Dead. — Map (db m13796) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Chester — Fishing Creek Revolutionary / Confederate War Memorial
[Front Side]1775-1781 Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Fishing Creek Presbyterian Church Cemetery [List of Names] [Reverse Side] 1861-1865 In Memoriam Confederate Veterans Buried in Fishing Creek Pres. Cemetery [List of Names] Map (db m13794) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Chester — Monument Square
Historic downtown Chester, established as the county seat in 1971, features the Confederate Monument, Cistern, Civil War Cannon, and Aaron Burr Rock landmarks. This area, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, still serves as a hub of commercial, political, and social activity. Beautiful architectural features can be seen throughout the downtown area. Dedicated to the people of Chester, South Carolina [List of Names] — Map (db m14267) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Chester — Original Site of Purity Presbyterian Church
Original Site of Purity Presbyterian Church Organized 1787 Moved to Chesterville 1839 Erected by Old Purity Society 1939 — Map (db m58902) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Chester — Reverend John Simpson
[Front Side] In Memory of The Reverend John Simpson 1740-1808 Wife Mary Remer 1743-1812 Minister Educator Soldier Patriot Married 1765- New Jersey Graduated Princeton College with high honors 1768 Studied Divinity two years under private minister Licensed to preach by Presbytery of New Brunswick, New Jersey 1770 Preached there two years Moved to Philadelphia Pastorate 1772 Traveled to Chester County, SC 1773 Ordained and installed 1774 by . . . — Map (db m13799) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Chester — World War Soldiers
Dedicated November 11, 1932 to the memory of the boys who entered the service of their country from Chester County and who gave their lives in the World War Names on marker front: Robert L. Atkinson Walter Campbell King Castle William F. Cauthen Leander T. Dixon David W. Drennan William M. Edmonds Edward B. Foutz James Hemphill James A. L. Love Charles LeFevre William E. McGarity Fred T. Miller Obed Loughridge Nichols James Nunnery Thomas M. Robinson William . . . — Map (db m14279) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Fort Lawn — Culvert
At several points along its path, the canal crossed natural streams flowing toward the river. To avoid damage to the fragile canal bed, the streams were channeled under the canals through culverts. This arch culvert consisted of a wing wall on the outside of both canal banks and arched stone channel that passed under the canal bed through which the stream flowed. Portions of both the entrance and exit arch and walls still remain. If you look closely between them you can see the foundation . . . — Map (db m13740) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Fort Lawn — Footbridge
Not far from the Guardlock, the canal passed under a wooden bridge. Cut stone abutments on each bank supported the simple wooden truss structure. This was the first of four bridges that crossed the canal on it two mile path beside the river. The ford here remained an important point to cross the river and without these bridges the canal would have proven an impediment to this traditional route. — Map (db m13739) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Fort Lawn — Great Indian Warrior Trading Path (The Great Philadelphia Wagon Road)
The most heavily traveled road in Colonial America passed through here, linking areas from the Great Lakes to Augusta, GA. Laid on ancient animal and Native American Trading/ Warrior Paths. Indian treaties among the Governors of NY, PA, & VA and the 19 chiefs of Iroquois League of Five Nations in 1685 and 1722, opened the Colonial Backcountry for peaceful settlement and colonization. In SC, the Path forked going West through Rock Hill, Chester, & Newberry; and, East through Camden on animal salt trails. — Map (db m13719) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Fort Lawn — 12-4 — Home Site of Justice John Gaston
Two miles south, at Cedar Shoals on the south side of Fishing Creek, was the home of John Gaston, Esq., Justice of the Peace under both the Royal and State governments. Though advanced in years, he was the leading spirit in arousing resistance to the British in this area. All nine of his sons fought for freedom; four died in service. — Map (db m13758) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Fort Lawn — 12-5 — Landsford / Landsford In The Revolution
[Front Side] Located about 4 mi. E., this ford, an early Indian crossing, was probably named for Thomas Land who received a nearby land grant from the Crown in 1775. Used by Patriot and British armies during the American Revolution. Later home of Wm. R. Davie, founder of University of N.C. The 1823 Landsford Canal bears witness to S.C.'s first great period of public works. [Reverse Side] Thomas Sumter, William R. Davie, and Andrew Jackson all camped or quartered near here . . . — Map (db m13757) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Fort Lawn — Landsford Canal
A vital link in South Carolina's internal improvements program of the 1820's, the canal stands as a monument to the following men who typified the South Carolina spirit during this first great era of public works building: William R. Davie, distinguished general, lawyer, educator, and statesman, who dreamed of the canal and donated the land for it. Robert Leckie, engineer and master stonemason, who designed the canal and supervised its building. Robert Mills, Joel Poinsett, and Abram . . . — Map (db m13720) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Fort Lawn — Mill Complex
Near its halfway point, the canal passed the mill complex built by William Richardson Davie around 1810. This mill sawed lumber and ground grain, both by use of water power. A waste weir at the entrance to the complex regulated the level of water in the canal. The weir, a stone wall with spillway at the highest safe water level, kept excess water in the complex from damaging the mill area. Under the weir can still be seen the outflow arch of a culvert which carried a small stream under the . . . — Map (db m13744) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Fort Lawn — The Canal Bed
It is this upper section of the canal that has best survived periodic flooding in tact. The canal bed is not always straight but curves in several places to follow the contour of a natural hill. By cutting into the hill along a constant level and transferring the earth to the outer bank, a minimum of excavation and earth moving was necessary. The extreme upper part of the canal was cut straight across level land, the greatest difficulty being the bed rock which was encountered. This was blasted . . . — Map (db m13745) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Fort Lawn — The Dam
As a boat approached the canal traveling south on the Catawba River, the patroon, or river boat pilot, first saw the diversion dam. The dam consisted of piles of loose stone on the river bottom. The dam projected from the bank at roughly forty degrees, and did not completely cross the river. It was designed simply to keep a sufficient water supply flowing through the canal when the river was low and to maintain an area of calm water to prevent boats from being swept into the shoals during floods — Map (db m13722) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Fort Lawn — The Guardlock
During the Nineteenth Century the rivers of South Carolina Piedmont were notorious for flooding. This lock was used to safely lower boats into the canal when high river levels threatened to damage the banks and structures. During periods of normal water levels the gates were often left open. The fine stone work seen here and along the rest of the canal was constructed by Irish masons under the direction of master contractor Robert Leckie of Scotland. — Map (db m13723) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Great Falls — 12-3 — Battle of Fishing Creek
At this site on August 18, 1780 General Thomas Sumter camped with captured booty and 800 men. He was surprised and defeated by Lt. Col. Tarleton and 160 soldiers. The disaster followed only two days General Gate's defeat by Lord Cornwallis at Camden. The patriots lost 150 men killed and many captured, but Sumter escaped and soon rallied another large force. — Map (db m13690) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Leeds — 12-2 — Battle of Fishdam Ford
On the east side of Broad River by an old Indian fish dam, General Thomas Sumter's camp was attacked before dawn on November 9, 1780 by the British 63rd Regiment and a detachment of the Legion, led by Major James Wemyss. The American campfires made excellent targets of the mounted British, who were severely defeated. Wemyss was taken prisoner by General Sumter. — Map (db m13685) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Leeds — Fish Dam Battle Ground
Rotary International To mark Fish Dam Battle Ground Nov. 8, 1780 between Gen. Sumter, American Maj. Wemyss, British Won by Americans — Map (db m13686) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Lowrys — “Thirteen Original Colonies Bicentennial Covered Wagon Train”
Front The state of Pennsylvania authorized the “Thirteen Original Colonies Bicentennial Covered Wagon Train” as an official Bicentennial project. It was one of five such trains that traveled across the country to reach Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, for the 1976 July fourth Independence Day celebration, after having scouted ahead for overnight stops, the wagon train left Stone Mountain, Georgia, on April 1, 1976 under the direction of Pensacola, Florida native Harry Lee. When . . . — Map (db m55707) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Rodman — Wilbur G. Grant Reservoir of Chester Metropolitan District
Dedicated by resolution of the Commission in recognition of the work and service of Senator Wilbur G. Grant in making possible this Reservoir and water system, for the people of Chester County. E.J. Fowler, Chairman; Robert H. King, Secretary; W.E. McGuinn, Jr.; J.A. Ballard; C.A. Bell; P.L. Coogler; E. H. Dawson; R.M. Hicklin; J.G. Kirkpatrick; B.F. Nichols; J.R. Rumford; R.D. Wilson Legislative Delegations: Wilbur G. Grant, Senator; Paul Hemphill, Jr., Senator; Harry R. Gardner; Jimmie E. . . . — Map (db m55723) HM
31 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 324 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.