|South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Cheraw — Captain Mose Rogers — Commander S. S. Savannah — First Steam Ship to Cross the Atlantic|
Died Nov. 11, 1821
First Steam Ship To
Cross the Atlantic
Crossed in 1819 — Map (db m46197) HM|
|South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Cheraw — 13-4 — Cash Homesite / Capt. Thomas Ellerbe|
About 100 yards east of here was the home of General Ellerbe Boggan Crawford Cash, widely known for his 1880 duel with challenger Colonel William M. Shannon, whom he killed. Subsequently, all officers of the state and members of the bar were required to take oath that they had not participated in a duel since January 1, 1881. This proviso was placed in the 1895 SC Constitution.
Capt. Thomas Ellerbe
About three miles northeast of here is the Ellerbe Burial Ground . . . — Map (db m28267) HM|
|South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Cheraw — Cheraw Confederate Memorial|
|(Front): Erected by Ladies Memorial Association To the memory of our Heroic Dead who fell at Cheraw during the War 1864 - 1865. (Left Side): Fallen but not dead! "They have crossed over the river And they rest in the shade of the trees." (Right Side): Loved and Honored but Unknown Hope (Back): "Stranger, bold champions Of the South revere; And view these tombs of love Brave heroes slumber here." — Map (db m46221) HM|
|South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Cheraw — 13-5 — Coulter Memorial Academy Site|
Organized in 1881, this Negro Presbyterian (USA) school was founded by the Rev. J.P. Crawford with support from Mrs. C.E. Coulter from whom it received its name. The Rev. G.W. Long was academy president from 1908 until 1943, and Coulter offered junior college credit, 1933-1947. The academy merged with the public school system, 1949. — Map (db m18197) HM|
|South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Cheraw — 13-6 — Dizzy Gillespie Birthplace|
John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie was born in a house on this site on Oct. 21, 1917. His family lived here until they moved to Philadelphia in 1935. A founder of modern jazz, Gillespie was an innovative trumpeter and bandleader known for his bent horn, bulging cheeks, sense of humor, and showmanship. In the 1950s he became a good will ambassador for the U.S. State Dept., playing concerts around the world.
Gillespie was invited to perform at the White . . . — Map (db m28273) HM|
|South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Cheraw — 13-11 — Francis Asbury's First Visit to S.C.|
Francis Asbury (1745-1816), pioneer bishop of American Methodism, came to Cheraw in 1785, on his first visit to S.C. Asbury had just been ordained a general superintendent at the first General Conference in Baltimore on December 27, 1784. He was on his way to Charleston with Revs. Woolman Hickson, Jesse Lee, and Henry Willis. They crossed the Great Pee Dee River and arrived in Cheraw on February 17, 1785.|
Asbury’s party spent the night with a merchant . . . — Map (db m46201) HM
|South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Cheraw — Grave of British Soldier|
|Grave of British Soldier
Who died during the
Revolutionary War when using
St. David's Church as a hospital
in the summer of 1780
Colonel Campbell, Commander
of the 71st. Regiment, is also
buried here. — Map (db m46203) HM|
|South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Cheraw — 13-1 — Old St. David's|
St. David's, authorized by the General Assembly in 1768, was the last parish established in colonial S.C. Said to be buried in its churchyard are soldiers of British forces occupying the Cheraws in 1780. The steeple and vestibule of this Episcopal church were added c.1827 and services were held here until a new church was built in 1916. — Map (db m28270) HM|
|South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Cheraw — 13-8 — Pee Dee Union Baptist Church|
This church, formally organized in 1867, had its origins in Cheraw Baptist Church, founded in 1837. Shortly after the Civil War 285 black members there received permission to organize a separate church. Rev. Wisdom London, the first pastor here, preached from a platform erected on this site until a new sanctuary was built. The first church here, a frame building, was destroyed by a tornado in 1912.
The present brick church, replacing the original one destroyed by . . . — Map (db m28271) HM|
|South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Cheraw — The 71st Regiment of Foot — "The Fraser Highlanders"|
|Encamped at Cheraw Hills in the summer of 1780 during the American Revolutionary War.
The Fraser Highlanders were recruited in Scotland in 1775 by their Clan Chief Simon Fraser, Master of Lovat, to serve in the army of King George III. They fought with honor in more Battles and Skirmishes, in both the Northern and Southern Campaigns of the American Revolutionary War, than any other British regiment.
Following the Fall of Charleston to the British in May 1780, their Commander in the . . . — Map (db m54803) HM|
|South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Chesterfield — 13-10 — Austin-Craig-Laney House|
This Carpenter Gothic house was begun ca. 1858 for Aaron Austin (1831-1863) and his wife Margaret Jane Craig. Austin, a Northerner who settled in Chesterfield in the 1850s, was a lawyer and also a Chesterfield District magistrate. He joined the Confederate army in 1862, became 2nd lt. of Co. D, 6th S.C. Cavalry, and died in 1863 in Charleston County. This house remained unfinished until after the war. (Reverse):
In 1903 Aaron Austin’s widow Margaret gave this house . . . — Map (db m47435) HM|
|South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Chesterfield — 13-3 — Chesterfield Courthouse|
|Chesterfield County's first courthouse was built here soon after the county was established in 1785. The second courthouse on this site was built 1825-1829 from plans by architect Robert Mills, designer of the Washington Monument. According to local tradition it was burned by troops under William T. Sherman in 1865. The current structure, built c.1884, was used as a courthouse until 1978. — Map (db m28327) HM|
|South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Chesterfield — First Secession Meeting|
First Secession Meeting, Chesterfield Courthouse.
Nov. 19, 1860.
Banner used on Secession Day.
Dedicated by the U.D.C's of Chesterfield Co. to the brave men, devoted women and faithful slaves, '61-'65. — Map (db m28328) HM|
|South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Chesterfield — 13-9 — John Craig House|
This house, the oldest in Chesterfield, was built ca. 1798 for John Craig (1755-1839), veteran of the American Revolution, merchant and miller, and county official. Craig’s father Hugh moved his family from Ireland to Virginia in 1760; John and his older brother Alexander came to S.C. soon after the war and helped organize Chesterfield District, later Chesterfield County. Craig was also Clerk of the Court of Common Pleas and Commissioner of Locations.
[Reverse]: . . . — Map (db m28329) HM|
|South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Chesterfield — 13-2 — W. D. Craig House|
|One of Chesterfield's earliest houses, the Wm. Duke Craig House, c.1820, stood here before it was moved in 1975. Craig (1845-1935), farmer and merchant, also owned nearby Craig's Grist Mill. He fought in the Civil War with the 21st Regiment, S.C. Infantry, Co. E. In 1933, he donated the land for Craig Park, just north on Page Street. Altered through the years, the house now stands on county property, some 500 yds. N. — Map (db m28330) HM|
|South Carolina (Chesterfield County), McBee — 13-7 — Seaboard Air Line Railway Depot|
|This depot, built in 1914, was the second station built by the Seaboard Air Line Railway in McBee. The town, the most successful of those established along Seaboard's Columbia-to-Cheraw line after it was completed in 1900, grew so quickly that a new depot became a high priority by the end of the decade. This depot was both a passenger and freight depot until it closed in 1971. Now the McBee Library and Railroad Museum, it was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1998. — Map (db m28265) HM|