The First Congregational Church was organized in the Public Hall at Vanville (later renamed Bloomer) Chippewa County on November 20, 1868. In 1870, lots 4 and 5 of block 4 of the Town of Bloomer were donated by Mr. Samuel Gilbert of Gilberstville, . . . — Map (db m55654) HM
Edson Union Cemetery was dedicated in 1887 by Maria and Edson Chubb, as a memorial to their only child Joseph. Buried here are Civil War veterans, victims of the 1880 diphtheria epidemic, and soldiers of the Spanish and American War.
Edson . . . — Map (db m42597) HM
In 1880, Captain Ellery Clark of DePere, Wisconsin moved his hub and spoke factory to Cadott. Clark had been a steam boat operator moving logs on the Fox River. He was drawn to the Cadott area because of the high quality and abundant supply of white . . . — Map (db m48931) HM
In 1787, Michel Cadotte, famous Madeline Island fur trader, had a trading post nearby on the Yellow River. Here Michel Jr. was born, and another son, Jean Baptiste, is said to be buried on the river's bank. Robert Marriner built a dam at "Cadotte . . . — Map (db m31159) HM
America Will Never Forget
Sept. 11, 2001 · Cadott, WI
"Whether we bring our enemies to justice, or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done."
George W. Bush
Sept. 20, 2001
. . . — Map (db m43068) HM
The block diagram right depicts in simple format the major geological components of the Cadott region. The time scale [below right] shows that the geologic history at any one place on Earth represents only a miniscule part of the Earth's long and . . . — Map (db m42006) HM
Lansing A. Wilcox, last surviving Wisconsin veteran of the Civil War, was born in Kenosha March 3, 1846. In February 1864 he enlisted from Chippewa County in F Company, Fourth Wisconsin Cavalry, returning to the Cadott community in 1866. A farmer, . . . — Map (db m30758) HM
From here you can see Precambrian rocks exposed along the river below the dam. Although mostly covered by a dark gray coating of carbon, their fresh pinkish gray colors show where they have been scoured off by floodwaters. We are looking at rocks . . . — Map (db m49997) HM
The first coast-to-coast auto route across the northern tier of states.
"A Good Road from Plymouth Rock to Puget Sound"
Before 1912 Railroads dominated long distance transportation. Local roads were dust and mud. There was little . . . — Map (db m40098) HM
The ZCBJ Lodge Hall which 45 charter members built in 1907 is a tangible symbol of the ethnic heritage – social, fraternal and philosophical ideals of the Czech immigrants settling 7 miles north of Cadott.
. . . — Map (db m47505) HM
In reverent memory of the men and
women who served their country
in peace and war.
Dedicated May 18, 1991 by
grateful citizens of
Chippewa County Veterans Marker
Army · Navy · Marines · . . . — Map (db m42843) HM
This site is near the location of the first sawmill called the "Blue Mills" built just north of Lake Hallie, built over a two year period 1842-1843 by Steven McCann and the brothers Simon and George Randall. In 1867 it was sold to T.S. Schoefield. . . . — Map (db m56289) HM
The Bear Den Road Bridge was an example of a Pratt bridge construction, which was a design used in Wisconsin from 1895-1910. The Milwaukee Bridge and Iron Company fabricated the bridge, and it was moved to this site in 1940. The original site and . . . — Map (db m43065) HM
Millions of years ago the Midwest area of North America was covered by a great inland sea that laid down virgin white Cambrian sandstone. As the sea filled in, most of this sandstone became buried thousands of feet below the surface. The rim . . . — Map (db m42326) HM
In September of 1873 James Monroe Bingham, a local attorney, State Assemblyman, and future lieutenant governor of the State of Wisconsin, purchased this land which had just been plotted as Block 14 of the Western Addition to the City of Chippewa . . . — Map (db m42667) HM
This building was built in 1917 in memory of Edward Rutledge.
Mr. Rutledge was born in northern Ireland on March 6, 1834. As a child he moved with his parents to South Mountain, Ontario, Canada where they farmed. At age 16 Edward and his two . . . — Map (db m39426) HM
First Presbyterian Church is the oldest Protestant Church in the City of Chippewa Falls.
It was organized in 1855 by Rev. W. W. McNair. The first services were held in a log cabin 12 x 14 feet located on the east bank of Duncan Creek, just . . . — Map (db m42611) HM
Hiram S. Allen was born in Chelsea, Vermont and came to the Chippewa Valley of Wisconsin in 1834. Here he began a long and flourishing career and an active business life. He built the first grist-mill, the first flour-mill, and the first hotel . . . — Map (db m42343) HM
Sergeant Charles E. Mower, Company A, 34th Infantry, on November 3, 1944, was an assistant squad leader in an attack against strongly defended enemy positions on both sides of a stream running through a wooded gulch near Capoocan, Leyte, Philippine . . . — Map (db m41559) HM
The soldier bird who was captured in Chippewa County by Chief Sky and taken to Eau Claire by Daniel McCann of Eagle Point. With Company "C" of the Eighth Wisconsin Regiment, he participated in twenty-five battles of the Civil War and was afterwards . . . — Map (db m38223) HM
The Irvine Park Drive Bridge was an example of a Pratt bridge construction, which was a design used in Wisconsin from 1895-1910. The Milwaukee Bridge and Iron Company fabricated the bridge in 1907. The structure originally crossed Duncan Creek on . . . — Map (db m38734) HM
On Sunday, May 2, 1937, Wisconsin Power Cooperative was organized by an assembly of farmers for the purpose of developing a generating and transmission facility to provide low-cost electric service for the rural areas of Buffalo, Chippewa, Clark, . . . — Map (db m13798) HM
Before the 19th-century social reform movement, developmentally disabled people were relegated to almshouses and county poor farms where the “indigent, insane, epileptic and “idiotic” were housed together without regard to . . . — Map (db m13297) HM
Primarily rural in the 19th century, Wisconsin promoted the state fair to advance better state farming practices. Since 1851 to the present, this fair has been held in southern Wisconsin. Recognizing the impracticality of entering or attending the . . . — Map (db m13318) HM
Notre Dame was Chippewa County’s first church, the Mother church of all area Catholic Churches. Originally called St. Mary’s (“Our Lady of the Pines”) was a 16' x 18' foot log structure erected in 1856. A carpenter’s bench served as . . . — Map (db m39975) HM
The building to your right is the oldest commercial building in Chippewa Falls. It was built (Circa 1859) by Peter Morie (Morey) and was used originally as a Saloon and Boarding House for lumberjacks and others. In 1861 at the start of the Civil . . . — Map (db m55299) HM
This log house, constructed of hand-hewn White Pine logs, was built by Norwegian immigrant Ole Pederson Bjerke about 1881. Ole and his wife Mari had three sons: Gus, John, and Charles.
Around 1880, Ole had applied for a Homestead in the . . . — Map (db m43658) HM
Charles was born in Rochester, New York. At the early age of thirteen he entered the provincial seminary of St. Francis near Milwaukee. He graduated in 1864 and then entered the American College at Louvain, Belgium. There he earned two divinity . . . — Map (db m39937) HM
He gave his life to the Jaycees and to his community, in the belief that service to humanity is the best work of life. We shall not forget...
Ronald P. Anders Memorial Pure Water Fountain was constructed by the Chippewa Falls Jaycees and . . . — Map (db m41525) HM
In 1904 on this 25 acre site between the Chippewa River and the Soo Line Railroad tracks, sugar processing became a new industry in the Chippewa Valley. The Chippewa Sugar Company was incorporated and a huge six-story sugar beet factory was . . . — Map (db m42693) HM
This Columbia Street site was the location of the ornate pioneer mansion built by Hiram Stores Allen. Called the founder of Chippewa Falls, Hiram built the first grist-mill, the first flour-mill, and the first hotel in Chippewa Falls. He operated . . . — Map (db m38891) HM
Chippewa Falls was born with the logging era and with it came support industries such as shoe factories. One of the most important tools for the loggers was strong boots. In 1869, Colliche Vinette was the first shoemaker to come to town. The area . . . — Map (db m38822) HM
Joseph Sokup opened Sokup’s Market in Downtown Chippewa Falls around 1891 on the northwest corner of Bay and Willow Streets. He built the current grocery store at 624 N. Bridge Street in 1894. The market is one of the oldest family owned businesses . . . — Map (db m55380) HM
Sunny Valley School, originally called Goethel School was built in 1903 approximately eight miles west of Chippewa Falls on State Highway 29 where it crosses County Highway T. The one room schoolhouse served the north half of School District No. 5, . . . — Map (db m43255) HM
This waiting shelter at the northern most point of service is the only physical structure remaining of what was once the 12½ mile long Eau Claire/Chippewa Falls interurban electric streetcar line.
In 1897, Boston financier Arthur Appleyard . . . — Map (db m39822) HM
This Federal Post Office Building was built in 1910 at a cost of $90,000. The property was purchased from the Thornton estate for $10,000. The Neo-Classical design style was often used by governmental architects of the Treasury Department during the . . . — Map (db m39009) HM
Chippewa Fall's oldest industry. In 1867, Jacob Leinenkugel, the son of a Bavarian brewmaster, came to Northern Wisconsin searching for a promising location to build a brewery. He settled on this spot purchasing the land from lumberman Hiram S. . . . — Map (db m42360) HM
The City of Chippewa Falls was organized around two moving bodies of water, the Chippewa River and its tributary Duncan Creek. Bridges soon became necessary with rapid expansion of the transportation system in the late 19th and early . . . — Map (db m38806) HM
Built in 1871 by Alexander Wiley Sr. and Nels Elikson, the rooming house over the years was home for hundreds of immigrants, lumber jacks, mill workers, farm hands and log drivers (known as river pigs). In 1887 Wiley Sr. became the sole owner and . . . — Map (db m42697) HM
Before there were numbered highways in the United States there were names attached to roads to help motorists navigate from town to town or from county to county. In 1912 no one thought in terms of an inter-state highway. However, a small band of . . . — Map (db m42158) HM
As early as 1846, Methodists were meeting in Chippewa Falls, with Thomas Randall preaching to his neighbors in a boarding house owned by the Chippewa Lumber and Boom Company. On March 10, 1860, Reverend Thomas Harwood, the first assigned . . . — Map (db m42615) HM
William Irvine was born in Mount Carroll, Illinois of Scotch-Irish ancestry. He came to the Chippewa Valley when he was 14 years old to work for his brother-in-law, who was captain of a raft boat towing lumber from Chippewa Falls to Mississippi . . . — Map (db m38788) HM
The Cobban Bridge, constructed in 1908 by the Modern Steel Structural Company of Waukesha, is a two-span Pennsylvania overhead truss type bridge and is the oldest of its kind in Wisconsin. Originally it crossed the Chippewa River just upstream from . . . — Map (db m12761) HM
In 1912, after a permanent dam was built across the Chippewa River near this location, the Cornell Wood Products Company, a large paper milling operation, began production here. The company manufactured paper products, cardboard and wallboard. The . . . — Map (db m45015) HM
This tablet was erected in 1931
by The Women's Club of
and serves a twofold purpose.
On the hillside below, unmarked and obliterated, are many Indian graves of days long past. At a later period this plot . . . — Map (db m46047) HM
Ezra Cornell was the man who founded the City of Cornell, Wisconsin, but actually never lived here. Cornell was born in 1807 in New York State of Quaker parents. He was a farmer, inventor, businessman, statesman, and a philanthropist. He . . . — Map (db m46026) HM
Jean Brunet is one of the most noteworthy pioneers of the Chippewa Valley. Born in France in 1791, Brunet immigrated to this country in 1818 and moved to Chippewa Falls in 1828. He built the first dams on the Chippewa River at Chippewa . . . — Map (db m46018) HM
The Cornell Pulpwood Stacker is believed to be the last of its kind in the world and is listed in the State and National Register of Public Places. Designed and constructed in 1911-12 by the Joors Manufacturing Co., of England for the Cornell . . . — Map (db m46068) HM
This cemetery with original records written in Czech dated October 22, 1905, nestles in the heart of the Bohemian farm settlement ¼ mile north of their Fraternal Hall on Highway 27.
The 33 families who cleared the land and plotted it into 10' x . . . — Map (db m45268) HM
This is the former site of a dam, a grindstone and an electrical power plant, locally known as "Stanley's Mill." It was also used as a log sluiceway and popular recreation area. First used on December 26, 1877, the electrical plant furnished power . . . — Map (db m48998) HM
On July 7, 1905, sixteen loggers of the Chippewa Lumber and Boom Company attempted to break a log jam on the Chippewa River at Holcombe below Little Falls dam, one of the largest wooden dams in the world. The batteau boat they were riding in reached . . . — Map (db m45434) HM
The Holcombe Indian was known to river men along the Chippewa since 1876. Called the King of the Chippewa River, he stood guard on the old Holcombe (Little Falls) Dam and was a most welcome site to lumberjacks driving their logs down the river to be . . . — Map (db m45431) HM
In the Spring of 1861 a band of hungry Chippewa Indians came to the McCann farm just across the river from here and traded a young eagle for corn. The eagle became a family pet. When Company C, 8th Wisconsin was organized at Eau Claire for Civil War . . . — Map (db m49313) HM
This wayside is part of the old McCann farm, childhood home of Old Abe, the War Eagle. In the Spring of 1861 a band of hungry Chippewa came to the McCann farm and traded a young eagle for corn. The eagle became a family pet. When Company C, Eighth . . . — Map (db m13984) HM
The present Village of New Auburn approximates the site of Cartwright Mill, founded in 1875 by David J. and Paul W. Cartwright. To the original sawmill, powered by steam, they added a lath, shingle, and planing mill. Some buildings were of brick . . . — Map (db m45182) HM
A 1928 act of Congress made obsolete World War I weapons available to municipalities and veteran's organizations for commemorative purposes. The Stanley American Legion Post requested this 5-inch bore artillery piece and it was dedicated on Memorial . . . — Map (db m42131) HM
Before there were numbered highways in the United States there were names attached to roads to help motorists navigate from town to town or from county to county. In 1912 no one thought in terms of an inter-state highway. However, a small band of . . . — Map (db m42144) HM
In 1847, a German by the name of George Myers arrived in Chippewa Falls looking for a tract of land for farming purposes. Prior to that time no one had attempted to cultivate any larger spot of ground than a garden patch. He chose this tract of land . . . — Map (db m55590) HM
In the early 1850's, settlers from Rhine, Bavaria, Bohemia, and Luxembourg came to this part of Wisconsin now known as Tilden Township. They vowed to build a church in honor of the "Blessed Virgin Mother of God" giving thanks for their safe voyage . . . — Map (db m55397) HM