|Ohio (Clark County), Enon — Mad River Township Civil War Memorial|
|In memory of the Patriots of Mad River Township who died for the Union. 1865. — Map (db m13302) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), North Hampton — North Hampton Veterans Memorial|
|In memory of those who served God and Country.
[Post 4358 Veterans Panel on Memorial]:
Joseph Scott . . . — Map (db m13905) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), North Hampton — 5-12 — Springfield, Troy, & Piqua Electric Railway|
Asa Bushnell, former Governor of Ohio, encouraged by the light grade of the land, decided to establish the Springfield, Troy, and Piqua Railway (ST&P) in July 1904. The interurban traction line utilized sixty-pound rail and traveled over only one bridge. With direct current electricity generated in Springfield, the ST&P used four double-ended fifty-foot cars, each with a railroad roof, arch windows, GE-57 engines, and fifty-horsepower motors. The ST&P traveled from . . . — Map (db m13890) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — A. B. Graham Founder of 4-H|
|On January 15, 1902, Mr. Albert B. Graham called to order the first meeting of a “Boys' and Girls' Agriculture Experiment Club”. Before growing season 85 children from 10 to 15 years of age had already volunteered to join. One hundred years later, 286,000 Ohio youth join children from the other 49 States and 86 foreign countries in 4-H membership.
Mike Major has sculpted a youthful Graham with two of his early club members as they present their projects.
Funding provided by: . . . — Map (db m13217) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Asbury Methodist Church Memories in rural Clark County, Ohio|
|Site of Asbury
1840- 1907 — Map (db m79498) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Battle of Piqua August 8, 1780|
|Within this park and immediate vicinity, former site of the Shawnee Indian Village of Piqua. The Shawnees and their British Allies were defeated by General George Rogers Clark with his army of Kentucky Frontiersmen. This battle greatly advanced the cause of the American Revolution on the Western Front. — Map (db m35295) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — 2-12 — City Building|
|The Old City Building and Market, also known as the Municipal Building or Marketplace, was designed by local architect Charles A. Cregar. It was completed in 1890 at a cost of $250,000. Vendors, who sold meats, fish, provisions, vegetables, and other products, used the first floor of the building as a city market. The second and third floors accommodated city offices, the police department, the City Council Chamber, and City Hall, which doubled as an opera house. The Old City Building and . . . — Map (db m13309) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Clark County Memorial|
|This building erected AD 1915 by the People of Clark County in memory of the Soldiers, Sailors, Marines & Pioneers of Clark County — Map (db m13284) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Clark County Revolutionary War Memorial|
In memory of the men
buried in Clark County
who fought in the
1775 - 1783
Lt. John Bancroft Jacob Ellsworth
William McIntire Frederick Brown
Samuel Lippincott Sr. James Kelly
Corneilus Toland Isaac Davisson
Lt. Jesse Christy Benjamin Bridge
Elijah Beardsley John Kellar
Merryfield Vicory George McCleace
Capt. Richard Bacon Jacob Ebersole
Stephen Harriman ____ Farnum
Lt. Henry Dawson James Galloway
John Craig George . . . — Map (db m28796) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — 1-12 — Davey Moore Park|
|Davey Moore was the Featherweight Champion of the World from 1959 to 1963, punching his way to a 56-6-1 record while always admitting that "Only 10 seconds separate me from being champion or nothing." A tough little boxer with a powerful punch, he died at the age of 29, a victim of the sport he loved. Born November 1, 1933, a fighter from the age of 14, he died March 25, 1963. — Map (db m13277) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — DeMint Memorial Park|
|Where Would We Be Without Them
Dedicated to the Veterans of Clark County and the DeMint Family — Map (db m13354) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Esplanade/Fountain Square|
|Since 1826, the Esplanade has been the traditional center of Springfield and Clark County. The National Road passed within one block of “Market Square” as it was then called. Three city halls, several hotels, train stations, and numerous commercial interests were located here. It was the site of the Champion Reaper Plant, the company that made Springfield the “Champion City”, and Kelly's Springfield Arcade. The Esplanade has hosted scores of parades, community . . . — Map (db m13316) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — General George Rogers Clark / Tecumseh|
|[Front Side of Marker]
With his Kentucky soldiers
Defeated and drove
From this region
The Shawnee Indians
August 8 1780
Thus aiding to make
The Northwest Territory
Part of the United States
[Reverse Side of Marker]
The Great Indian Chief
Was born here in the
About 1768 — Map (db m35379) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — George Rogers Clark Namesake of Clark County|
|In June of 1780 British and Indian forces seized Ruddle's and Martin's Stations in Kentucky. On August 8, 1780 George Rogers Clark led a force of nearly 1000 Kentucky militia under authority of Virginia to engage the British led Shawnee at the Village of Peckuwe approximately 6 miles west of here where George Rogers Clark Park now exists. This was the largest Revolutionary War Battle fought west of the Allegheny Mountains and helped to diminish the British influence in the west.
Sculptor . . . — Map (db m13887) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — H. A. "Harry" Toulmin Sr. (1859 - 1942) Offices at Suites 47 - 48 Bushnell Building|
|Toulmin, as patent attorney for the Wright Brothers, plays a key role in one of the greatest sagas in American history. After failing to obtain the necessary patents on their own, the Wright's hire Toulmin to defend their inventions. His legal work guides them through numerous counter claims by competitors and thus leads to the award of the pioneering patent for the “flying machine” in May 1906 and four additional patents for aircraft controls over the next eight years.
Toulmin . . . — Map (db m13907) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — In Memory of Those Men Who Died in the Battle of Piqua|
|"In memory of those men who died in
the Battle of Piqua, August 8, 1780,
the largest Revolutionary War battle
West of the Alleghenies." — Map (db m35288) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — John M. Temple 43rd Infantry US Army 12/10/31 - 02/21/99|
|Dedicated to the Springfield community in memory of
John M. Temple, 43rd Infantry US Army
He was a man of honor and integrity. This is the legacy he left behind for others to follow and build upon to continue their journey, pursue their dreams and achieve their goals.
He loved his family and loved his country. The Marine Corp [sic] Drill Team Honor Guard proudly bid farewell to a comrade during this dedication on September 1999 — Map (db m13906) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Madonna of the Trail|
|In 1912, Congress appropriated funds for a new highway, the National Old Trails Road, or Ocean-to-Ocean Highway. The route crossed 12 states from Maryland to California following much of the National Road and the Santa Fe Trail. To celebrate the designation of the National Old Trails Road, the daughters of the American Revolution commissioned 12 statues as a tribute to the pioneer women who braved the uncertainties of the great journey west. The sculpture depicts a pioneer mother with an infant . . . — Map (db m45529) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Oliver S. Kelly 1824 - 1904|
|Raised on farms in Greene Township, O.S. Kelly became one of the most respected local businessmen and benefactors of his age. A skilled carpenter, he made his fortune building housing for miners during the California gold rush. Upon returning to the area he entered into a partnership with William Whitely and Jerome Fassler to produce agricultural machines, such as the famed Champion Reaper. After leaving the company in 1881 he built Kelly's Arcade and Hotel and established the O.S. Kelly Co., . . . — Map (db m13312) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Peckuwe Shawnee Memorial|
|The Shawnee village of Peckuwe stood on this site until August 8, 1780. This village was inhabited by the Peckuwe and Kispoko Divisions of the Shawnee Tribe.
The Shawnee, along with the other tribes in Ohio, often placed a large cedar pole in center of their villages. The pole would serve as a calendar by casting its shadow on pre-designated spots during the year. It would also be used as a gathering place, and decorated to identify the village inhabitants.
Today a new pole erected by . . . — Map (db m35274) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — 4-12 — Pennsylvania House / The National Road|
David Snively built the Federal-style Pennsylvania House in 1839 along the newly constructed National Road. This tavern and inn was an important stopover for livestock drovers and pioneers traveling by foot, on horseback, or in Conestoga wagons during the westward expansion of the United States in the nineteenth century. Dr. Isaac K. Funk, of Funk & Wagnalls fame, lived in the house in the 1840s while his father served as its tavern keeper. Closed as an inn after the . . . — Map (db m13278) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Purple Heart Memorial Combat Wounded Veterans|
|Dedicated to all men and women wounded in all our wars. My stone is red for the blood they shed. The medal I bear is my countrys way to show they care. If I could be seen by all mankind maybe peace will come in my lifetime.
Erected by Chapter #620, Military Order of the Purple Heart — Map (db m13355) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Simon Kenton|
|Famed Indian fighter, associate of Daniel Boone and George Rogers Clark, soldier of the Revolution and the War of 1812 - Leading settler of the Mad River Valley, built his first home in Ohio a few hundred feet east of this spot. — Map (db m44113) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Site of Simon Kenton's First Log Cabin Home in Ohio|
|Site of Simon Kenton's
first log cabin home
in Ohio - Built beside
the old war trail over
which he was led into
captivity - Scene of
his killing the last
Indian slain in combat
in Clark County — Map (db m44177) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Site of Springfield's First Church 1805 1955|
|Site of Springfield's First Church
Placed by Central Methodist Church
October 16, 1955 — Map (db m13912) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Snyder Park|
|Erected June 1904 by the people of Springfield to the memory of John and David L. Snyder who gave and amply endowed Snyder Park — Map (db m13909) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Springfield City Hall Bell|
|This bell from Springfield's first City Hall, located on this site in 1848, is placed here to honor the school children of Springfield and Clark County who participated in the Esplanade/Fountain Square Project.
Time capsule encased beneath this bell.
October 14, 1993 — Map (db m13356) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Tecumseh (1768-1813)|
|Statesman, Warrior and Patriot was born March 1768, three miles west of Springfield, close to Route 40 - State Route 369 - at the Shawnee Indian Town called Piqua. Site of the battle of Piqua, August 8th, 1780, presently George Rogers Clark Memorial Park.
As a leader of the Shawnee tribe and a spokesman for the Western Indian he resolutely resisted encroachment on their territory.
Through his efforts and under his leadership the Indian Tribes for a time combined in confederation in an . . . — Map (db m35123) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — The A. B. Graham Building|
|In this building, on January 15, 1902, A. B. Graham organized the first boys and girls agricultural club in the United States out of which grew the 4-H Clubs of America. — Map (db m13220) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — The Battle of Piqua August 8th, 1780|
|Approximately three miles west of Springfield at the present site of George Rogers Clark Memorial Park lay the Shawnee Indian Town called Piqua. This town was the site of the battle of Piqua on August 8th, 1780 - one of the last battles of the American Revolution in the West.
General George Rogers Clark with his Kentucky soldiers defeated and drove from this area the Shawnee Indians thus aiding to make the Northwest Territory part of the United States. The battle was a significant one in . . . — Map (db m35171) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — The Battle of Piqua, or Picawey|
|Before you lay Piqua, or Picawey, a Shawnee settlement where 1,000 Kentucky militiamen under Col. George Rogers Clark defeated an alliance of Shawnee, Delaware, Mingo and Wyandot warriors on August 8, 1780 in the largest battle fought west of the Allegheny Mountains during the Revolutionary War.
Intent on halting Indian raids into Kentucky, Clark marched in seven days from the Ohio River to the Mad River. Crossing in the early afternoon nearly a mile downstream from here fierce fighting . . . — Map (db m34207) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — 3-12 — The Birthplace of 4-H|
|A. B. Graham, superintendent of Springfield Township Rural schools in Clark County, established the "Boys and Girls Agricultural Experiment Club," which revolutionized agricultural education and non-formal youth development methods. The first meeting of the club, said to be the nation's first farm club for young people, was held at this site on January 15, 1902 in the basement of the Clark County Courthouse. This was the start of what would be called a "4-H Club" a few years later. Through the . . . — Map (db m13216) HM|
|Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — The National Road|
|A short distance west of the Springfield City limits at the top of Sugar Grove Hill ended the continuous metaled or paved portion of the National Road.|
The National Road was, outside of the navigable rivers and harbors, the first great internal improvement of the fledgling nation, the United States of America.
This road commenced at Cumberland, Maryland and continued through the mountains to Brownsville; Washington, Pennsylvania; Wheeling, West Virginia; Zanesville, Ohio; Columbus, Ohio and . . . — Map (db m45531) HM