|Washington (Clark County), Camas — 58004 — Camas-Washougal War Memorial|
|This memorial is dedicated to all servicemen from the Camas-Washougal area who have died as a result of hostile action since the beginning of the Vietnam War. — Map (db m58004) WM|
|Washington (Clark County), Camas — Crown Zellerbach Employee World War II Memorial|
|In honor of the employees from this division who gave their lives while serving in the armed forces during World War II.
Curtin P Barnett • James F Hagensen • Thelma A Rancore • Jimmie Clark Berg • Wayne A Harwood • Lewis L Ray • Eugene P Brundage • John D Howard • Walter E Resner • Elmer Buskirk • Vernon W Kane • Gordon E Robertson • Chester H Bonde • Laurence C Koplin • Eugene P Shauvin • Leonard B Conway • Mickey B Ludwig • Albert F Tews • Harold D Farris • Joseph R Nash • Robert C Tracy • Clarence E Osborne — Map (db m58851) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Camas — The First School in Camas — 1882|
|The first school in Camas (La Camas) was built prior to 1882. It was replaced by a four room school (with inside plumbing) in 1886. The first school remained on the school grounds until 1907. In 1907 the then Columbia River Paper Company gave the Boy Scout Organization permission to put the first school on their property where it still stands today. For years it was used as a scout meeting place and referred to as the Scout Hall. In 1934 the new owners of the mill, Crown Willamette Paper . . . — Map (db m57954) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Ridgefield — Fort Vancouver|
|Hudson’s Bay Company established Fort Vancouver in 1824 within the area of present-day Vancouver, 83 nautical miles from the Pacific Ocean. Forty Wooden buildings were enclosed within a 20-foot high log palisade until the treaty of 1846 set the international boundary at the 49th parallel. This fort supplied Hudson’s Bay Company posts west of the Rocky Mountains. The fort became part of the U.S. military system in 1848 as Columbia Barracks, later changed to Vancouver Barracks. Vancouver is recognized as the oldest settlement in the state. — Map (db m8400) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Salmon Creek Heights — Harley H. Hall|
Harley H. Hall
Listed P.O.W. 1-27-73
The last pilot shot down in Vietnam just 10 hours before final cease fire was signed.
Vancouver, Washington — Map (db m8513) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — A Busy Place Is This|
|You are standing on the site of a once-bustling riverfront complex at Fort Vancouver. A boat building operation, blacksmith shop, and tannery filled the air with the sights, sounds, and smells of industry.
A busy place is this. The blacksmith is repairing ploughshares ... the tinman is making cups for the Indians ... the wheelwright is making wagons, the cooper is making barrels for pickling salmon and packing furs.
Thomas Jefferson Farnham, American visitor, 1839
Vessels . . . — Map (db m12292) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — A River of Settlers|
|Before 1846 American immigrants traveling the Oregon Trail to Fort Vancouver had to make a choice at The Dalles (80 miles upriver from here). They could navigate their own handmade raft or take a Hudson's Bay Company boat down the Columbia River to here. Many travelers chose to complete these last 80 miles on a Company boat.
Fort Vancouver's manager, Chief Factor John McLoughlin, generously offered food, supplies, and medical treatment to the weary Americans when they arrived here. He then . . . — Map (db m12295) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Cannon Replica Project|
|These Napoleon 12-Poind Light Field Cannons are replicas created by Mountain View High School students during the 1990 to 1992 school years in Vancouver, Washington. They are the property of the City of Vancouver, which supplied materials. This community project involved students from the metalworking and woodworking classes under the leadership of teachers Larry books and Darell Midles. The cannons were dedicated to the four Medal of Honor recipients buried in the Vancouver Barracks Cemetery. . . . — Map (db m8519) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Captain George Vancouver Monument — Boat of Discovery|
|[Panel 1]:Captain George Vancouver Monument
October 31, 1792
Lt. William Broughton
Named This Area
For His Captain
October 31, 1992
[Panel 2]:Boat of Discovery
“…The real story of George Vancouver and other explorers of the Pacific Northwest is not in one great voyage. It is in the hundreds of lesser voyages made by the small boats, thoroughness and unfailing courage with which these tasks were carried out through the long years of . . . — Map (db m8516) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Captain George Vancouver Monument Plaza — 1792 Discovery|
Capt. George Vancouver, from King’s Lynn, England, at age 35 and with orders from the British Admiralty to explore and chart the West Coast of America, charted hundreds of miles of coast line from California to Alaska. His maps were so accurate that they were later used in establishing boundaries between the Spanish, the English, the Russians and the Americans.
During the return voyage of his expedition, Capt. Vancouver commissioned Lt. William Broughton to enter the . . . — Map (db m8515) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Carlton Foster Bond — 1893 - 1980|
|CO Pearson Field
1929 - 1933 & 1938 - 1940
Honoring Aviation Pioneers — Map (db m8427) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Clark County Veterans Memorial|
|Dedicated in memory of those who died in the defense of our Country
Lest We Forget — Map (db m8536) WM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Congressional Medal of Honor Monument|
|This monument is presented to the city of Vancouver, Washington by the Congressional Medal of Honor Society, in recognition of the spirit and sacrifice shown by the valiant Medal of Honor recipients now at rest in the Vancouver Barracks Cemetery.
First Sergeant James M. Hill
5th U.S. Cavalry, The Indian Campaigns, 1873
First Sergeant Moses Williams
9th U.S. Cavalry, The Indian Campaigns, 1876
First Lieutenant William W. McCammon
24th . . . — Map (db m22867) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Covington House|
|Erected 1848 by Richard and Anne Charlotte Covington on Fourth Plain. Boarding school was conducted herein in 1850. This building housed first piano in the Oregon Country and was center of social activity in entire region. — Map (db m8517) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Early Aviation History in Vancouver — Pearson Field|
|Even before the advent of a U.S. Army Air Service field at Vancouver Barracks in 1921 and the eventual dedication of “Pearson Field” in 1925, aviation had early hallmarks at Vancouver Barracks.
As part of the 1905 Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition in Portland, Oregon, eighteen-year-old Lincolnd Beachey piloted 23 controlled flights in an airship named the City of Portland.
The flight on September 19, 1905 landed on the parade ground of Vancouver Barracks, where . . . — Map (db m8425) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Esther Short — Esther Short Park|
|After marrying Amos Short in 1829, Esther (Clark) Short set out on the adventure of her life! Originally from Tioga County, Pennsylvania, Esther Short, who was ½ Algonquin Indian, her husband Amos and 10 children traveled west to Linton, Oregon in 1845 and moved again to the present site of downtown Vancouver in 1847.
In 1847, this downtown area was under the Treaty of Occupation (1818-1846 England and America shared rights of the territory). The Short’s claim included most of Vancouver . . . — Map (db m64239) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — First Japanese on the North American Continent|
|In October 1832, the Japanese cargo ship Hojun Maru set sail from near Nagoya bound for Edo (present day Tokyo). Disabled in a storm off Enshu Nada, the Hojun Maru drifted for fourteen months before running aground on the coast near Cape Flattery, at the northwest tip of what is now Washington State. The three surviving crew members, Iwakichi, Otokichi and Kyukichi lived briefly among the coastal tribes before they were brought here to Fort Vancouver by the Hudson’s Bay Company. They were the . . . — Map (db m8423) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Fishers|
|For centuries Indians used the trail that later became
old Evergreen Highway. Where each creek entered the Columbia River the Indians made camp.
In 1805 Lewis & Clark and their expedition camped on Government Island, a haven for waterfowl. The Army from Vancouver Barracks later pastured horses on the island. Six families homesteaded and raised cattle there.
Solomon Fisher and William Simmons in 1851 filed donation land claims, founded Fishers community, built docks and cut firewood . . . — Map (db m57879) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — From Military to Municipal Airfield|
|The history of Pearson Field goes back almost to the origins of mechanized flight itself. The landing site of Lincoln Beachey’s groundbreaking flight across the Columbia River from Portland to Vancouver, during the 1905 Lewis & Clark Exposition, marked the future location of the Vancouver Barracks Aerodrome. Soon after that, a growing number of aviators used the field for aerial exhibitions and experimental flights until the field was transformed into a spruce mill during World War I. At the . . . — Map (db m8406) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Heart of a Trading Empire|
|Look around you. The scenic spot where you now stand was once the heart of one of the busiest shipping ports west of the Rocky Mountains. From 1825 to 1846, Fort Vancouver's waterfront served as the western economic artery of the Hudson's Bay Company, connecting a wilderness of wealth to a powerful trading network.
Trading vessels large and small once moored at a wharf here, supplying a variet of goods to distant ports. Company ships exported northwest goods throughout the world: fur to . . . — Map (db m12293) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Howard C. French / Alexander Pearson|
|[Top marker]:In loving memory of
Howard C. French
Major Air Corps Reserve
1894 – 1938
Dedicated by his comrades of the 321st Observation Squadron
United States Army Air Corps Reserve
In loving memory of
Lieutenant Air Corps
1895 – 1924
Presented by his comrades of the Engineering Division United States Army Air Corps. — Map (db m8962) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Ilchee|
| In Recognition of the People Who Have Inhabited this Region for Thousands of Years.
Ilchee Moon Girl
History says she was born along the Columbia River about 1800, daughter of Chinook Chief Concomley and, later, wife of Chief Casinos leader in Vancouver area.
Lore tells us she had the power of a Shaman and that she paddled her own canoe, the sign of a chief.
By both accounts she was remarkable. — Map (db m8422) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — 66 — Officers Row — Fort Vancouver Barracks|
|Registered National Historic Place
Advisory Council on Historic Preservation
Under the provisions of the National Historic Preservation Act of October 16, 1966, this property possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating American history.
Placed on the National Registry on Nov. 11, 1974 by the National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior — Map (db m8523) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Officers Row|
|When the U.S. Army arrived in 1849 to establish a new post on the western frontier, few of the officers could afford to bring their families out to such a remote and lonely command. A thriving community of soldiers, officers, wives, and children grew as the region gained importance. The early log cabin style quarters on Officers Row were eventually replaced with larger and more elegant residences better suited to the status of their occupants.
From the last decades of the 19th century . . . — Map (db m8527) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Officers Row|
|Officers Row, a procession of homes for officers and their families, began during the early frontier years when Vancouver Barracks was considered by many to be a remote and lonely assignment. The first officer’s quarters on the Row wer log cabins built in 1850 – the only surviving example is now called the Grant House.
By the time the Department Commander’s quarters (now known as the Marshall House) was constructed in 1886, Vancouver Barracks was the headquarters for the Department . . . — Map (db m8529) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — St. James Mission — Officers Row|
|Many employees of Fort Vancouver were of French-Canadian descent, and had been raised as Roman Catholics. Separated by thousands of miles from their home parishe, these men pleaded with the Bishop of Quebec to send them priests.
The Reverend Francis Norbert Blanchet and the Reverend Modeste Demers arrived at Fort Vancouver in 1838 at the official request of Dr. John McLoughlin, and established the first Catholic mission in the Oregon Country. IN 1844, the Hudson’s Bay company donated a . . . — Map (db m8964) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The 321st Observation Squadron (1923-1941)|
|Although the U.S. Army allowed civilian aircraft to land at Vancouver Barracks beginning in 1905, military aircraft began operating here in 1921, when the U.S. Army Air Service established a landing field for an aviation forest patrol. The patrol was a cooperative forest fire spotting effort by the U.S. Army and the U.S. Forest Service. Two years later, the 321st Observation Squadron arrived at Vancouver Barracks, with three biplanes initially stationed at the field.
The 321st was a reserve . . . — Map (db m8405) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The Artillery Barracks — Officers Row|
|At the beginning of the 20th century, Vancouver was the headquarters for the Department of the Columbia, a vast administrative unit in the Northwest. The population of the post almost tripled in response to increased military activity both at home and abroad. There were not enough barracks for soldiers stationed here, and men were sleeping in tents. An ambitious building scheme was begun that would enable the post to garrison a regiment of infantry and two batteries of artillery. The gouble . . . — Map (db m8742) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The Chkalov Transpolar Flight — Pearson Field|
|On June 20, 1937, the world’s attention turned to Pearson Field when a Russian ANT-25 aircraft landed after making the first non-stop flight over the North Pole.
The red and gray, single-engined aircraft “Stalin’s Route” carried over 2,000 gallons of fuel, and sported a 112 foot wingspan. It was crewed by three of the Soviet Union’s top airmen: Valery Chkalov, pilot; Georgi Baidukov, co-pilot; and Alexander Belyakov, navigator.
Taking off from Moscow on June 17, 1937, and . . . — Map (db m50830) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The First Fort Vancouver|
|In 1824 the Hudson's Bay Company chose this place as the site for a new fort which they named Vancouver in honor of the British explorer, George Vancouver. Little is knowns of this fort as it was moved early in 1829 to its now well-known location one mile west of here. — Map (db m8403) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The Grant House — Officers Row|
|When the U.S. Army arrived at Fort Vancouver in May of 1849, they quickly built nine log cabins for shelter against the upcoming winter. Shown here is the 1850 plan of the two-story post commander’s quarters. It is the only remaining structure built during the initial years of Army occupation at Fort Vancouver.
Called the Grant House, it was never the residence of its namesake, though Ulysses S. Grant did serve as a quartermaster at Fort Vancouver from 1852 to 1853. It was the residence of . . . — Map (db m8499) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The Infantry Barracks — Officers Row|
|The Infantry Barracks is the oldest surviving structure in Vancouver Barracks proper. It was constructed in 1887, one of three identical buildings built to house individual companies of the 14th Infantry. Though it was built prior to the standardization of architecture at army posts, the Infantry Barracks shows only slight modifications to an 1872 design issued by Quartermaster General Meigs. It is a simple, Classic Revival style building, and originally had a porch on the second story as well . . . — Map (db m8741) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The Marshall House — Officers Row|
|As part of a natural reorganization, the U.S. Army returned the headquarters of the Department of the Columbia from Portland, Oregon to Fort Vancouver in 1878. As a result, the Army funded construction of several new buildings on Officers Row, including this 1886 Queen Anne style home for the Department Commander.
The most famous individual to live in the residence, Brigadier General George Marshall, lived here with his wife, Katherine T. Marshall, from 1936 to 1938 while he was in command . . . — Map (db m8959) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The O. O. Howard House — Officers Row|
|This Italianate-Revival style home was built in 1878 for General Oliver Otis Howard, Commanding General of the Department of the Columbia from 1874 until 1880.
This gracious home was considered ”the finest dwelling house north of the Columbia.” It was home to many social events and hosted several famous guests, including Ulysses S. Grant in 1879 and U.S. President Rutherford B. Hayes in 1880.
After the Marshall House was built as the new department commander’s home in . . . — Map (db m8572) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The Post Hospital — Officers Row|
|In 1904, the U.S. Army built a new Post Hospital at Vancouver Barracks as a part of a nationwide effort to modernize its forces. Unlike the previous one, the hospital was constructed with brick to enhance sanitation and boasted a spacious floor plan with open verandas to provide light and fresh air to ailing soldiers. Until the end of World War I, the Post Hospital was considered one of the most modern and efficient military hospitals in the nation.
During World War I, the hospital staff . . . — Map (db m8739) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The Red Cross Convalescent House — Officers Row|
|Following the nation’s entry into World War I, the American Red Cross was authorized to construct convalescent houses adjacent to military hospitals. These facilities provided recreation away from a hospital atmosphere, and helped boost the morale of recuperating patients. The Red Cross provided writing supplies, books, games, movies, and other diversions, and offered hospitality to visiting family members.
The construction of this building, a unique adaptation to standard plans, was . . . — Map (db m8743) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The Reservation Monument|
|[Side one of six]: Under the influence of Dr. John McLaughlin, Manager of the Hudson Bay Co., civilization of Washington started at Vancouver, A.D. 1825.
[Side two of six]: The first school in Washington was taught by John Ball, at Vancouver, A.D. 1833.
[Side three of six]: The first gospel sermon in Washington was delivered by Jason Lee at Vancouver, Sept. 28, A.D. 1834.
[Side four of six]: The first marriage of American Citizens in Washington was Daniel . . . — Map (db m8383) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The Soviet Transpolar Flight of 1937 — Magnificent Triumph of Soviet Aviation|
Near this site at Pearson Airfield on June 20th, 1937, three Soviet aviators completed the first non-stop flight from the U.S.S.R. to the U.S.A.
Command Pilot Valeri Chkalov, Co-Pilot Georgi Baidukov, and Navigator Alexander Belyakov, completed the Moscow to Vancouver Flight in 63 hours 16 minutes, covering 5,288 nautical miles.
The plaques above and on the reverse side were cast in the Soviet Union and presented to Vancouver by the Soviet People to commemorate . . . — Map (db m50831) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The Sutler's Store — Officers Row|
|Until the late 19th century, the U. S. Army awarded sales commissions to civilian traders, known as sutlers. Each post or regiment was authorized to appoint one. Described as “a combination of saloon keeper and general store operator,” the sutlers supplied troops with goods and food to supplement army rations.
The first sutler at Vancouver Barracks was Elisha Camp, who came with the 4th Infantry in 1852. By all accounts, Camp rana profitable enterprise selling diverse items . . . — Map (db m8963) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Theodore A. Penland Rose Garden|
|This rose garden is dedicated
to the memory of
Theodore A. Penland
1849 – 1950
last Commander-in-Chief of
the Grand Army of the Republic
Plaque presented by The Daughters of Union Veterans and the Woman’s Relief Corps, Auxiliary to
the G.A.R. of Clark County, Washington — Map (db m8401) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — U. S. Grant Memorial — 1853|
|General U.S. Grant
when a young officer was stationed at Columbia Barracks, Vancouver, Washington.
One mile east from here he planted potatoes to reduce the expense of his officer’s mess. — Map (db m8424) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — United States Army Arrives|
|On May 13, 1849, the United States steamer Massachusetts arrived off the Hudson's Bay Company wharf and unloaded Batteries L and M of the First Regiment of United States Artillery. The first permanent official American presence in the Pacific Northwest had arrived!
The Army quickly rented buildings from the Hudson's Bay Company and constructed quarters on top of the hillside to the north. As the Army's role grew, the available facilities proved inadequate for its needs.
Over . . . — Map (db m12289) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Vancouver Barracks Parade Ground|
|On May 13, 1849, from the deck of the USS Massachusetts, the first U.S. Army troops in the Pacific Northwest spotted the Hudson’s Bay Company’s Fort Vancouver. “Mr. Douglas, the resident Governor received us very politely and Major Hatheway [U.S. Army] determined to encamp near Vancouver…” wrote an arriving soldier. The troops soon established themselves on high ground above the fort, beginning their assignment of keeping peace and providing support to Oregon Trail emigrants. . . . — Map (db m8496) HM|
|Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Whose Anchor?|
|This anchor was dredged from the Columbia River in 1960 near Fort Vancouver’s wharf, one-quarter mile east of the Interstate 5 bridge. The anchor gives some answers about its history, but poses many more questions.
It is a Rogers Paten Small-Palm anchor, manufactured in England between 1815 and 1850. The chain is wrought iron stud, used by the British Navy, and probably others, beginning in 1808. This size of anchor came from a ship of 1,000 tons or more, a large ship of the period. . . . — Map (db m8691) HM|