|Wisconsin (Clark County), Colby — 161 — The Home of Colby Cheese|
|At his father's cheese factory about one mile south and one mile west of here, Joseph F. Steinwand in 1885 developed a new and unique type of cheese. He named it for the township in which his father, Ambrose Steinwand, Sr., had built northern Clark County's first cheese factory three years before. The town had taken its name from Gardner Colby, whose company built the Wisconsin Central railroad through here.
Colby is a mild, soft, moist cheese. Its taste became known in the neighboring . . . — Map (db m9189) HM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Curtiss — History of The Big White Pine|
|This tree was a landmark near the Iron-Ashland Co. line northeast of Glidden, Wis. The first section of 20 ft. is in Glidden. Les got the next cut of 12 ft.
The tree measured 6 ft. on the stump. The tree was 144 ft. high. The first limb was 65 ft. up. The age of the tree is over 400 years.
This tree was located in the area where the Les Bowen family and friends have hunted since 1939.
Dec. of 1985 — Map (db m22327) HM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Curtiss — The Yellowstone Trail 1912–1930|
|The first coast-to-coast auto route across the northern tier of states.
"A Good Road from Plymouth Rock to Puget Sound"
Before 1912 Railroads dominated long distance transportation. Local roads were dust and mud. There was little help from government so owners of the newly arrived autos rose to the challenge.
1912 Small town businessmen from South Dakota formed the Yellowstone Trail Association to "get out of the mud" and to pressure counties to build usable automobile . . . — Map (db m43262) HM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Curtiss — Veterans Memorial|
This memorial is solemnly
dedicated to our living war
veterans and to those who
made the supreme sacrifice. — Map (db m50289) HM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Dorchester — Dorchester Veterans Memorial|
all men and women
who fought to gain
and maintain our
great American freedom.
American Legion Auxiliary
— Map (db m47677) HM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Dorchester — S.S. Dorchester Memorial|
Length overall · 368'
Beam · 52'
Draft · 19'
Gross tons · 5,649
Speed (knots) · 12
Radius (miles) · 5,500
Propulsion · Recip. eng.
Passengers · 788
Cargo (cu. ft.) · 187,250
Jan. 24, 1942 Became U.S. Warship USAT
Jan. 22, 1943 Departed N.Y. to Greenland (6th trip)
Feb. 3, 1943 Torpedoed in the North Atlantic (by U-223)
Lat. 59° 23' N Long. 48° 42' W
[number On Board, Saved, Lost] . . . — Map (db m29648) HM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Greenwood — 23 — Mormon Settlements|
|The Mormons, Clark County's first loggers, came in 1844 and established camps between Wedge's Creek and Greenwood to cut timber for their Illinois city of Nauvoo. After the murder of their leader Joseph Smith at Carthage, Illinois in mid-1844, the Mormons soon left. The sole legacy of their Clark County settlements is Cunningham Creek, named for Jonathan Cunningham who drowned in it while running logs. — Map (db m21953) HM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Loyal — Castner–Mack Cemetery Est. 1855|
1st Cemetery in the Loyal Township
Child of Daniel & Mary Mack 1858
Daniel Mack 1866
13th child of Erastus & Maria Mack 1860
Mary Benedict Mack 1874
Frank Castner 1877
Infant child of John & Lydia Castner 1880
Twin infants of John & Lydia Castner 1880
Mr. King 1880
An Indian Baby — Map (db m21947) HM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Loyal — Loyal Veterans Memorial|
|All Gave Some
Some Gave All
This memorial is dedicated to our Loyal area veterans of the past and present for their bravery, service, and sacrifice in times of peace and war while protecting the principles of our United States of America.
August 2003 — Map (db m49534) HM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Loyal — Samuel Hartford Soldier of 1812 1798 – 1884|
|When a lad of 14 he went as a substitute for his brother in law that his sister and her 7 little ones might not be deprived of a husband and fathers care.
Served as Private in N. Y. Militia.
Was in Battle of Niagara.
Honorably discharged Sept. 30, 1818. — Map (db m9691) HM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — 1897 Clark County Jail|
The Clark County Historical Society
1897 Jail Museum
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
December 8, 1978
Wisconsin Historical Marker
This property is listed in the
State Register of
The State Historical Society of Wisconsin
has been recognized as a . . . — Map (db m41452) HM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — 1919 Case Steam Engine|
|Originally used for threshing grain in the area by William Neville, this steam engine was owned by Martin "Max" Feuerstein from the 1930s through the 1960s to power a sawmill along 18th Street on Neillsville's northside. This sawmill produced lumber used by the B & F (Bruhn and Feuerstein) Machine Shop for framing truck bodies used for hauling milk cans, as well as lumber for other local uses. Since 1969 this steam engine has been on display as a memorial to the life and times of threshers and . . . — Map (db m41389) HM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — 42 — Clark County Moraines|
|Most of the topographical features to be seen here can probably be attributed to deposits or moraines left when the glacier receded. The castellated hills or mounds northwest of Neillsville are of greater geological significance and interest, however. These are believed to be nunataks -- hills which projected through the ice sheet so that their tops were left untouched by the glacier. — Map (db m9851) HM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Dickinson-Hoesly House|
| . . . — Map (db m76734) HM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Fragments Wisconsin Vietnam Veterans Memorial|
|Honoring the men and women from Wisconsin who served in Vietnam.
We left pieces of ourselves in Vietnam. We brought parts of Vietnam home.
Each fragmented figure supports the others. A close inspection of the figure with the helmet reveals the long hair of a woman – the first depicted on a U.S. veterans memorial. Her poncho supports 1244 rods engraved with the names of those who didn't return.
Their chimes hang among the rod clusters allowing them to speak to us.
The rifle . . . — Map (db m25146) HM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Kilroy Was Here|
|During World War II this was a symbol for the American serviceman. Any place in the world where one of them went he would see it. It was found in restrooms, on trucks, tanks, ships, bombed out walls, and almost any place it could be painted, penned, scratched, or chalked. Even during an invasion or battle, someone would leave this symbol where those following would see it. It was a symbol of courage, pride, encouragement, and very definitely a morale booster. That is why it was selected to . . . — Map (db m18637) HM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — 41 — Major General Clarence L. Sturdevant 1885 – 1958|
|General Sturdevant, chief architect and father of the Alcan Highway, was born in Neillsville and married Beth Youmans of this city. During forty years of devoted service General Sturdevant was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, the Bronze Star, and for his Alcan Highway feat, the Legion of Merit. Sturdevant was characterized by General Douglas MacArthur as "great soldier, great engineer, great American." — Map (db m30863) HM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — National Native American Vietnam Veterans Memorial "The Forgotten Warrior"|
|This memorial statue was envisioned to serve as a touchstone where the quiet tears of unresolved grief from mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, relatives and friends could be shed in an honorific setting and be strengthened by the groundswell of pride that their departed loved ones stand in an elite company of Native American warriors who fought in America's longest and costliest undeclared war. "The Forgotten Warrior" stands forth symbolically to uphold an memorialize the honor of those . . . — Map (db m29599) HM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Neillsville Civil War Memorial|
1861–1865 — Map (db m38763) HM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Neillsville Post Office|
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Henry Morgenthau Jr
Secretary of the Treasury
James A Farley
Post Master General
Louis A Simon
Neal A Melick
1937 — Map (db m47630) HM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — The Korean War Tribute Dedicated to those who served|
|We, the Korean Veterans Tribute Committee, designed this tribute to convey to you insight into the hardships and isolation experienced by our troops.
The three bronze figures represent bitter cold, extreme heat and seemingly never ending monsoons. They rest on a platform in the shape of the Korean Peninsula – a reminder of the ongoing uneasy truce.
The hillside is sculpted to resemble the terraced rice paddies in Korea.
The Korean War began as a civil conflict between communist . . . — Map (db m78738) WM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Women Airforce Service Pilots Monument|
World War II
Dedicated July 31, 2006 — Map (db m78703) WM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Women Veterans Memorial|
|In Honor and Remembrance of
the Women of Wisconsin
Who Have Served Our Nation
Dedicated September 19, 1992
The Wisconsin Women and Men
of Vietnam Veterans of America — Map (db m78718) WM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Stanley — The Worden Church of the Brethren|
|Site of The Worden Church
of the Brethren
Erected in 1904
Destroyed by tornado in 1958
Dedicated Sept. 28, 1975
by members and friends — Map (db m22324) HM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Thorp — Liberty Tree Memorial|
|Planted in honor of those who lost
their lives in the tragic events on
September 11, 2001
The American Liberty elm was named after "The Liberty Tree": Our Country's first Symbol of Freedom. On the morning of August 14, 1765, the people of Boston awakened to discover two effigies suspended from an elm tree in protest of the hated Stamp Act. From that day forward, that elm became known as the "Liberty Tree". For the next ten years, it stood in silent witness to countless meetings, . . . — Map (db m47912) HM|
|Wisconsin (Clark County), Thorp — 537 — St. Hedwig's / Poznan Colony|
In 1891, a wooden church was built and named St. Hedwig's for a queen of Poland. In 1904, the present-day structure was built and accommodated the growing congregation with seating for 700 people. Members of the congregation furnished labor and contributed artistic talent. Some families took out second mortgages on their farms to help pay for the cost of the new building.
As the lumber industry waned in the late 1880s, Polish land agents hoped to . . . — Map (db m48771) HM|