First church building of record in Clarke County.
Erected here in 1810 by John French of Virginia,
who organized Methodist congregation here 1811.
Combined with Gainestown Church 1897. — Map (db m101575) HM
Established by Choctaw and Creek Indians about 1808 as the northern limit of boundary line between their lands. This line begins at the cut-off in South Clarke County, follows the watershed between Alabama and Tombigbee Rivers without crossing . . . — Map (db m83271) HM
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Mt. Nebo Cemetery is home to the unique folk art of African American inventor and artist, Issac "Ike" Nettles, who used concrete to make images of living people's faces for . . . — Map (db m101576) HM
This 4000 acre complex has been recognized for its contribution to our understanding of the history of Monroe County and the State of Alabama. Originally developed as a cotton plantation during the Antebellum period, this farm has been in continuous . . . — Map (db m80345) HM
The Clarke-Washington Electric Membership Corporation was organized near this site on March 2, 1936, by some 83 members from Clarke and Washington Counties. This was the first rural electric cooperative organized in Alabama under an executive order . . . — Map (db m80356) HM
Founded in 1809 by George Strother Gaines as Choctaw-Creek Indian Trading Post on Alabama River, now Gainestown Landing. Here lived Alabama Indians for whom State & River named. At Battle of Maubila De Soto's hogs escaped, from whence . . . — Map (db m101609) HM
On November 12, 1813, the Canoe Fight, one of the key assaults of the Creek War, took place nearby at the mouth of Randon’s Creek where it flows into the Alabama River. Following the Fort Mims Massacre in August, small bands of . . . — Map (db m101574) HM
Born 1785 in Robeson County, N.C.
Came in 1818 to Monroe County, Alabama. Represented Monroe County in Alabama Constitutional Convention in 1819 and in State Legislature 1819-1822. Served as Governor of Alabama 1825-1829. Elected 1833 to Congress . . . — Map (db m47637) HM
Lemuel Alston, William Armistead, Thomas Bradford, John Bradley, William Cochran, John Cox, John Creighton, Benjamin Darby, John Dean, Sr., Matthew Gayle, John Giles, William Goode, John Harvey, Aaron Lewis, Axom Lewis, Thomas Moody, Elijah Pugh, . . . — Map (db m47748) HM
This is a replica of the original tablet from the 1924 World War I monument located in front of the Clarke County Courthouse. The monument was the first memorial ever erected to honor county war dead. It cost $1,650 and was paid for with . . . — Map (db m57385) HM
Built by Judge John Gates Creagh, attorney, commissioner, county treasurer, judge of county orphans court and state legislator. It was originally located on lot 15 Court Street, facing the county court house, and was moved in the mid 1930's to . . . — Map (db m47652) HM
Near this spot are the graves of American Revolution soldier Elijah Pugh and his son Issac, a War of 1812 veteran. Elijah, born in Guilford Co., N.C. in 1760, was 18 when he joined a patriot band led by Col. Elijah Clarke at the . . . — Map (db m83270) HM
Grove Hill, first inhabited by Choctaw Indians, was settled by pioneers in the early 1800s. The settlement was called Magoffin's Store after James Magoffin whose shop, two miles from the present courthouse, opened in 1815. Grove . . . — Map (db m47653) HM
The Brooke cannon designed by Captain John M. Brooke C.S. Navy, and manufactured in Selma, Alabama, was credited by experts North and South the most powerful cannon used in the War for Southern Independence its range was up to 2200 yards.
. . . — Map (db m101571) HM WM
First home of Creek and Choctaw Indians, Jackson’s first pioneer settlers arrived about 1800. The little village was first called Republicville, then Pine Level, before its incorporation by an act of the Mississippi Territory . . . — Map (db m101591) HM
On this site was located the First District Agricultural College, authorized by an act of the Alabama Legislature and opened in 1896. The street in front was changed from Grove Hill Road to College Avenue in honor of the new school. An Experimental . . . — Map (db m101603) HM
First village called Republicville. Town laid out in 1815 by Pine Level Land Company and named Pine Level. Incorporated 1816 and renamed Jackson for General Andrew Jackson. First commissioners, David Taylor, David White, Reuben Saffold, Peregrin . . . — Map (db m101589) HM
Just west of this spot, along Ocre Ave. on a 10-acre tract, was the site of a WWII prisoner of war camp. The camp was one of twenty such labor camps in Alabama. Hdqrs. for the camp was at Camp Shelby in Hattisburg, MS. The camp . . . — Map (db m101593) HM
Built circa 1848 by Isham Kimbell on Lower Commerce Street. Given to city by Woodson family and moved
to this site in 1977 by Jackson Historical Commission, successors to Jackson Bi-Centennial Committee, with a grant from the M. W. Smith, Jr. . . . — Map (db m39202) HM
The area from Stave Creek to Jackson Creek was one of sites for the making of salt during the years 1862-64.
Furnaces of native stone were built and salt water from dug wells evaporated by boiling in large kettles.
Amount of salt six hundred . . . — Map (db m101607) HM
William Bartram, America’s first native born artist-naturalist, passed through Clarke County during the Revolutionary era, making the first scientific notations of its flora, fauna and inhabitants. As the appointed botanist of Britain’s King George . . . — Map (db m101568) HM
Here was located the large and important Central Salt Works. Official government reports indicate that salt was being mined at this works as early as 1816, but the Indians had obtained salt here for centuries prior to this. During the blockade of . . . — Map (db m101605) HM
Near this site, is the gravesite of Maj. Jeremiah Austill, folk hero & prominent figure in the early settlement of Clarke County. Born in 1794 in S. C., he lived, along with his parents, Capt. Evan and Sara Austill, among the . . . — Map (db m101588) HM
This marks the site of pioneer stockade
commanded by Captains Sam Dale and
Evan Austill. Choctaw Chieftain
Pushmattaha often here. Expedition
terminating in noted Canoe Fight on
Alabama River immediately east of
this site, was . . . — Map (db m101566) HM
This Greek Revival style brick structure is known as the Hope Family Grave Shelter. Constructed in 1853, it is listed on the National Register of Historical places. The unusual splayed eaves and vaulted or “compass” . . . — Map (db m47621) HM
In the summer of 1887, a notice was published confirming that the route for the Mobile and West Alabama Railroad would be the Choctaw Corner route. Soon the sounds of building could be heard over the swamp that was the . . . — Map (db m101601) HM
Founded by the CME (Christian Methodist Episcopal) Church as the only school for black students in the area in the early 1900’s, Williams’ Temple eventually consolidated with another school in Booker City to form Miles College . . . — Map (db m101596) HM
Sept. 1, 1813
Creek Indian War. 1813-14
Part of War of 1812. British used Pensacola as base to arm, incite Indians against U.S..
Prophet Francis led Indians in this raid on Kimbell home. They Killed and scalped 12 of 14 (two survivors . . . — Map (db m47635) HM
Commences at the Cut-Off, or the first high ground in that vicinity, follows the watershed between the Alabama and Tombigbee Rivers, and ends at Choctaw Corner. Established in 1808 by the Creek and Choctaw Indians as the dividing line between their . . . — Map (db m47628) HM
February 16, 1826, November 8, 1913.
Minister, Teacher, Historian, Author.
His love of history, natural resources and mankind led him to record events, past and present, writing many of his notes on the pommel of his saddle and also walking . . . — Map (db m83272) HM
Town laid out in 1819 at crossing of Old Line and Old Federal Roads. Named for Wm. Suggs, storekeeper. Site of Clarke County's first newspaper, cotton gin, carriage, shoe and silk factory. Site of extensive aviation experiments by Dr. Denny 100 . . . — Map (db m47698) HM
Established 1858, ¼ mile east of here. Camp meetings were held in summers. Congregation moved to site near Peniel 1894. The "arbor" and church building were left at original site. These buildings convenient for annual encampment of county . . . — Map (db m101579) HM