|Texas (Coke County), Blackwell — 1973 — Fort Chadbourne|
|Established by the United States Army, October 28, 1852, as a protection to frontier settlers against Indians. Named in honor of
Lieutenant T.L. Chadbourne,killed at Resaca de la Palma, May 9, 1846. Occupied by Federal troops, 1852-1859; 1865-1867. An important station on the Butterfield Overland stage route, 1858-1861. — Map (db m77861) HM|
|Texas (Coke County), Blackwell — 2637 — Indian Rock Shelters|
|Throughout this area during the last several centuries, rock ledges gave protection to Lipan, Kickapoo, Comanche, and Kiowa Indians. In one typical shelter archeologists found evidence of 3 periods of occupation, plus numerous intricate petroglyphs (rock carvings). River shells, turkey and deer bones, flint knives, scrapers, and points lay about the area. One of several hearths (2' x 3' in size) consisted of small pieces of sandstone lining a natural rock trough. On the highest level was found . . . — Map (db m77615) HM|
|Texas (Coke County), Blackwell — 4374 — Route of the Southern Overland Mail Line|
|One mile southeast to Fort Chadbourne, a station on the Butterfield Mail and Stage Line, which linked St. Louis and San Francisco, 1858-1861. The fort was established in 1852, occupied until its surrender to State forces in 1861, and garrisoned at times after the Civil War. — Map (db m77943) HM|
|Texas (Coke County), Blackwell — 4983 — Southern Overland Mail, 1858-1861 — (Butterfield Stage)|
|Passed near this site, providing for the first time combined passenger and mail service between Pacific and Atlantic Coasts. Operating west from St. Louis and Memphis, John Butterfield’s company used 1350 horses and mules and 90 Concord coaches and wagons.
Stage traveled at a run, despite lack of good roads. A signal given approaching a station would have fresh horses ready and food on the table for crew and passengers. Route had stations 12 to 113 miles apart, and was sometimes changed . . . — Map (db m77944) HM|
|Texas (Coke County), Bronte — 517 — Bronte|
|Eastern gateway to Permian Basin, in Coke County called Oso and Broncho in early 1880's. Formally named for English novelist Charlotte Bronte, in 1890, incorporated 1907.
Basic agricultural economy, predominately ranching. Site of major oil and gas development since 1948. — Map (db m77860) HM|
|Texas (Coke County), Bronte — 518 — Bronte Depot|
|Built by local stonemason James C. Lammers (1874-1942), this depot was completed in 1911, two years after the first train arrived in Bronte. Built of locally quarried materials, the depot features stone lintels and window sills and a red tile roof. Originally owned by the Kansas City, Mexico, & Orient Railway, the Bronte Depot was sold in 1928 to the Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe Railway Company, which discontinued operations here in 1967.
Recorded Texas Historical Landmark - 1989 — Map (db m12236) HM|
|Texas (Coke County), Bronte — Bronte Veterans Memorial|
(Front Side, Center Panel)
Dedicated to the veterans of all wars who freely and courageously joined in the great world-wide conflicts for the preservation of peace freedom and democracy
Killed in Action
Verdon T. Allen • Joey Lee Boles • Richard L. Briscoe • James Caudle • Richard I. Collier • Claude O. Ditmore, Jr. • James M. Eubanks • Dean E. Hallmark • George C. (Lum) Hines • Jesse (Cotten) Hudman • Chester Kiker, Jr. • A. James Kunkel • Pammie Z. Landers • Percy Lord . . . — Map (db m18739) HM|
|Texas (Coke County), Bronte — 1618 — First Baptist Church — Of Bronte|
|Organized by visiting minister W.G. Green and a congregation of three on June 19, 1887, the Baptist Church in Bronte met in homes. In 1890 a brush arbor was built and the Rev. R.M. Cumbie was called as first pastor. Services were later held in the community school in winter and the brush arbor in summer. A Sunday school was organized in 1901 and the first church building was dedicated in 1907. A new building was completed in 1951. From its beginning, this church has been involved in missionary and community activities. — Map (db m82380) HM|
|Texas (Coke County), Bronte — 1749 — First Methodist Church — Of Bronte|
|This congregation traces its history to the summer of 1890, when a small group of worshipers led by the Rev. J.W. Montgomery gathered under a brush arbor on East Kickapoo Creek to organize a church. Later that year the Rev. G.F. Fair became the pastor of the church, which met in an old schoolhouse. A sanctuary was built in 1907 and served the congregation until it was replaced by a new structure in 1951. Throughout its history this congregation, which became the first United Methodist church in 1968, has been involved in missionary activities. — Map (db m82379) HM|
|Texas (Coke County), Bronte — 1974 — Fort Chadbourne C.S.A. / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense|
Fort Chadbourne C.S.A.
Located 8 mi. north on old Butterfield Stageline. Upon secession, company of First Regiment Texas Mounted Rifles occupied this post to give protection against Indians. Stopover on way west for many Union sympathizers and people wanting to avoid conflict of war. Permanent personnel left the fort in 1862 when the frontier defense line was pulled back more than 50 mi. east. However, scouting parties and patrols of Confederate and state troops used the fort . . . — Map (db m82378) HM|
|Texas (Coke County), Bronte — 4983 — Southern Overland Mail, 1858-1861 — (Butterfield Stage)|
|Passed near this site, providing for the first time combined passenger and mail service between Pacific and Atlantic coasts. Operating west from St. Louis and Memphis, John Butterfield’s company used 1,350 horses and mules and 90 Concord coaches and wagons.
Stage traveled at a run, despite lack of good roads. A signal given approaching a station would have fresh horses ready and food on the table for crew and passengers. Route had stations 12 to 113 miles apart, and was sometimes changed . . . — Map (db m83088) HM|
|Texas (Coke County), Robert Lee — 933 — Coke County|
Formed from Tom Green County
Created March 13, 1889
Organized April 23, 1889
Named in Honor of
1829 - 1896
Governor of Texas 1874-1876
Member of United States Senate
1878 - 1896
County Seat, Hayrick, 1889
Robert Lee, since 1890 — Map (db m82995) HM|
|Texas (Coke County), Robert Lee — 1390 — Edith — Original Site One Mile North|
|Settled by cattlemen who ran herds on open range, and stock-farming homesteaders.
Development began in early 1880's after Winfield Scott, rancher, fenced his spread.
Area had three schools, lodge hall, tabernacle, general store, cotton gin and blacksmith shop.
The post office, established in 1890, was named for Edith Bonsall, an admired young lady of Ballinger. It closed in 1955. Dwindling schools combined, then consolidated with those of nearby Robert Lee.
As trend . . . — Map (db m83087) HM|
|Texas (Coke County), Robert Lee — 2414 — Hayrick|
First County Seat of
Coke County. 1889–1890
Then Became the
County Seat — Map (db m82903) HM|
|Texas (Coke County), Robert Lee — 12505 — Henry Davis Pearce — (June 4, 1845 - December 8, 1911)|
|Born in Illinois. Came to Texas 1856. Joined Confederate Army in New Orleans, 1861; fought in siege of Vicksburg (1863), in Battle of Mansfield (1864), and at Pleasant Hill, LA., where he was captured. Exchanged at Blair's Landing, he served to end of war. He wrote history of Confederate veterans. Married Sarah Elizabeth Pride. Had eight children. Pioneered and helped organize Runnels County. He moved to Robert Lee, Coke County, in 1906. — Map (db m18741) HM|
|Texas (Coke County), Robert Lee — 2722 — James Franklin Byrd — (December 18, 1844 - June 9, 1915)|
|Born in Kentucky. Joined the Confederate Army at Gonzales, Texas, 1862. Was in Co. F, Willis’ Battalion of Cavalry, Army of Virginia. Fought in battles of Holly Springs, Harrisburg, Fort Pillow and others. Captured, he became prisoner of war on Ship Island. Escaped by volunteering to help load boat, then joining prisoners to be exchanged.
Married Eliza Elizabeth May. Made permanent home at Pecan Mott, west of Hayrick Mountain.
Recorded - 1969 — Map (db m82905) HM|
|Texas (Coke County), Robert Lee — 4300 — Robert Lee Cemetery|
|Established in 1891, two years after the founding of the city of Robert Lee, developers L. B. Harris and Eugene Cartledge, as president and secretary of the Austin & Northern Land & Cattle Company, on Sept. 29, 1892, sold for $1.00 this 11.7-acre burial ground. Already site of several graves, it was deeded to Hayrick Lodge No. 696, A.F.&A.M., for “sole use as cemetery grounds for the members, relatives, and friends”. Later it was named by the lodge.
Buried here are 34 Civil War . . . — Map (db m18740) HM|
|Texas (Coke County), Robert Lee — 4558 — Sanco — (Originally Located 1 Mile East)|
|On site of prehistoric Indian camps, in area where in 1850's Fort Chadbourne soldiers often skirmished with Indians.
One of the first settlements and second pioneer post office (established 1888) in county.
Named for the Comanche Chief Sanaco, who with Chief Yellow Wolf had regularly camped here. Yellow Wolf, killed in a fight with Lipans, is buried nearby.
In 1907, new site was surveyed. Town relocated here on Yellow Wolf Creek. School, post office, store, blacksmith shop . . . — Map (db m82994) HM|
|Texas (Coke County), Silver — 1855 — First Producing Oil Well — In Coke County|
|Sun Oil Company’s well – No. 1 Allen Jameson – was staked in Sept. 1946 and struck oil Nov. 17.
Intermittent drilling had gone on in Coke County for 30 years, but this discovery began a county-wide oil boom.
Drilled by the Dallas firm of Roberts & Hawkins, the well hit pay dirt at 6,230 feet in fossil-bearing limestone 280 million years old. In a 24-hour test it flowed 168 barrels.
Coke County recently ranked among the top quarter of oil-producing counties in . . . — Map (db m83082) HM|
|Texas (Coke County), Silver — 770 — Old Community of Cedar Hill|
|The Cedar Hill area, settled by stock-farming homesteaders about 1890, was named for the nearby cedar-covered elevation.
A one-room school built in 1891 was located about 100 yards north of the cemetery, which remains. However, no post office or town ever developed.
Discouraged by drouths and the lack of conveniences, many people had departed by 1904. The school closed after 1917.
30 years later, an oil boom swept the county. Cedar Hill area, supplying 2 big companies, now . . . — Map (db m83086) HM|
|Texas (Coke County), Silver — 4695 — Silver — Coke County Cattle, Oil and Gas Center|
|A pioneer ranching center, settled about 1880. Early land owners included S.M. Conner, W.G. Jameson and W.R. Walker. Dr. J.E. Reed for 50 years was only physician here. R.B. Allen was outstanding civic leader.
Post office, named for peak nearby, was opened 1890 with Thomas J. Wylie postmaster.
School (2 mi. SW) was moved here and renamed Silver Peak.
Oil discovery, 1946, brought drilling, refining, employees’ camps, much growth. The town became busy oil-gas center. . . . — Map (db m83081) HM|
|Texas (Coke County), Tennyson — 5225 — Community of Tennyson|
|In area roamed by Indians for centuries. Tamed by open-range cattlemen in the late 1870s.
Permanent settlement began in 1880s. A post office, named for British poet Alfred Tennyson, was established in 1894 with Mrs. Sarah E. Kiser as the first postmaster. Seven persons have held that office to date (1970). Over years, area has had several schools, but all are now closed.
Nearby Mt. Margaret (height 335 feet), once locale of Indian activities, is now site of annual community . . . — Map (db m77617) HM|
|Texas (Coke County), Tennyson — 3528 — Mule Creek Cemetery — (4.5 miles southwest)|
|Established by pioneers of Mule Creek community, a small frontier settlement founded in 19th century. Said to be named either for (1) an early horse and mule ranch, or (2) a stagecoach mule that died at a creek which runs nearby. The Abilene - Fort Concho stage once served area.
For years principal building here was a combination school-church. Since 20th century, shift to urban living has diminished population of Mule Creek.
Inscriptions on tombstones chronicle history of . . . — Map (db m77618) HM|