“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Colleton County Markers
South Carolina (Colleton County), Ashepoo — 15-3 — Edmundsbury
A brick Chapel of Ease for St. Bartholomew's Parish was built here in 1785 in a town laid out in 1740 and named for Landgrave Edmund Bellinger. The vestry reported the chapel unfit for use in 1786, and in 1810 it fell in ruins. A new chapel was built in 1819, burnt 1852, rebuilt 1854, and was wrecked by Union troops in 1865. — Map (db m7923) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Ashton — 15-20 — Cross Swamp Methodist Church
[Front]: Cross Swamp Methodist Church, the first Methodist congregation in upper Colleton County, was founded in 1808. James and Asia Sineath deeded an acre on this site to church trustees in April and the first sanctuary, which was a log pole building, appears as a “meeting house” on a November 1808 plat. [Reverse]: The second sanctuary, a hewn log building, was replaced by a frame sanctuary shortly before the Civil War. That church burned in 1910; this . . . — Map (db m27161) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Ehrhardt — John Jacob Heyer
Historical Marker Eight Hundred fifty-three feet west of this marker lies the Northwest corner of the three hundred acre tract granted by The Colonial Governor's Council to John Jacob Heyer, Sr. and his wife Mary Magdalene Wagner of Pfalzgrafenweiler, Germany, who landed with their children John, Jacob, Michael Cristopher and Godfrey at Bedon's wharf, Charles Towne, in October, 1751 — Map (db m18422) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Green Pond — 15-13 — Temple of Sport
On top of this ridge stood a sylvan temple erected before the Revolution by Colonel Barnard Elliott, patriot and sportsman. The structure was supported by columns in the classic manor. The site, a part of Colonel Elliot's plantation "Belleview," afforded an excellent stand for hunting deer. — Map (db m7869) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Hendersonville — 15-16 — Hendersonville / Arab The Horse
Hendersonville Settled in 1791 and known as Godfrey Savannah, this area later was the summer home for a colony of Combahee River rice planters. The settlement, known as Hendersonville by 1862, was named for Dr. Edward Rogers Henderson, a local landowner and signer of the 1860 Ordinance of Secession from Colleton County. Arab The Horse The book Autobiography of Arab was written by his master Corporal Edward Priolean Henderson, and included their experiences in the Civil War. . . . — Map (db m7028) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Jacksonboro — 15-12 — Battle Of Parker's Ferry
Sent to intercept a raid by 540 Hessians, British, and Tories, General Francis Marion with a force of 400 men on August 30, 1781 set up an ambuscade along this road about 1 mile from the ferry. The enemy advancing along the narrow causeway were surprised and suffered heavy losses, forcing them to withdraw to Charles Town. — Map (db m7918) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Jacksonboro — 15-8 — Bethel Presbyterian Church
Founded on this site in 1728 by the Reverend Archibald Stobo, Bethel or Pon Pon Church served a large Presbyterian congregation until replaced by Bethel Presbyterian Church in nearby town of Walterboro early in the nineteenth century. The original bell was moved to the new church in Walterboro. The old building burned in 1886. — Map (db m7880) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Jacksonboro — Colonel Issac Hayne
As a grateful and reverential tribute to A noble martyr in behalf of liberty The State Of South Carolina Has erected this memorial to Colonel Issac Hayne who was captured near here by the British July 6, 1781, and in violation of the Customs of War was hanged in Charles Town August 4, 1781, and whose body was buried here in his garden. "DULCE ET DECORUM EST PRO PATRIA MORI." — Map (db m8790) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Jacksonboro — Fateful Choices - The Hanging Of Isaac Hayne
Isaac Hayne tried to spend the rest of the Revolutionary War in peace after the British captured Charleston in 1780. Although he had supported independence, Hayne accepted a parole - a promise to remain neutral - in exchange for his freedom. But the British soon forced him to choose sides and declare his alleigiance to them. In 1781, with the British losing the war, Hayne returned to the fight for independence, only to be captured after leading a raid. Desparate to keep other paroled . . . — Map (db m8010) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Jacksonboro — 15-6 — Martyr Of The Revolution / Hayne Hall
Martyr Of The Revolution When Loyalists soldiers attacked the camp of Col. Isaac Hayne's S.C. malitia about 5 mi. W on July 7, 1781, they captured Hayne. He was soon condemned as a traitor because he had previously declared allegiance to Great Britan after the fall of Charleston. Hayne, hanged in Charleston on August 4, 1781, became a martyr to those fighting for America's independence. Hayne Hall The surrounding land was part of Hayne Hall plantation, home of the Hayne . . . — Map (db m8001) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Jacksonboro — 15-1 — Old Jacksonborough
Founded about 1735 on lands granted John Jackson in 1701; county seat of Colleton District from 1799 to 1822. Provisional capital of state while Charleston was under siege in the closing months of the American Revolution. First South Carolina Legislature met here Jan.-Feb. 1782. Sessions held in Masonic Lodge and Tavern. Passed Confiscation and Amercement Acts. — Map (db m8660) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Jacksonboro — 15-14 — Pon Pon Chapel
On Parker's Ferry Road one mile northeast of here are the ruins of Pon Pon Chapel of Ease, established in 1725 by an Act of the General Assembly after the Yemassee War aborted plans for St. Bartholomew's Parish Church. John Wesley preached here in 1737. The brick building erected in 1754 was burned in 1801 and has since been known as "the Burnt Church." — Map (db m7073) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Jacksonboro — Pon Pon ChapelServing the Community for Many Years
Here on the old stage coach road connecting Charleston to Savannah, the Anglican Pon Pon Chapel of Ease served the Jacksonborough community for many years. The parish of St. Bartholomew's was established in 1706, however its first minister, the Reverend Nathaniel Osborne, did not arrive until 1713. An act of the General Assembly provided for a Chapel of Ease in 1725 and Vestry ordered a brick building to replace the wooden chapel. During a visit in April 1737, John Wesley, . . . — Map (db m66489) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Jacksonboro — Ruins of Pon Pon Chapel of EaseSt. Bartholomew’s Parish
1706 Parish Established Rev. Nathaniel Osborn, Missionary of the S.P.G. arrived 1715 Parish devastated by Yemassee, Indians 1725 Act of General Assembly provided for a Chapel of Ease here to be used as a Parish Church until one should be built 1737 John Wesley Preached here April 24th 1753 Vestry ordered a brick building to replace wooden Chapel Building was burnt between 1796 and 1806 Has since been known as “The Burnt Church.” — Map (db m7120) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Jacksonboro — The Burial Site of Captain John Herbert Dent
This U.S. Naval officer was born in Maryland in 1782 and died at his plantation in St. Bartholomew's Parish, S.C. in 1823. He served as acting captain of the frigate "Constitution" in 1804 during the war with Tripoli, and was senior officer in charge of naval affairs at Charleston during the War of 1812. — Map (db m7881) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Jonesville — 15-15 — Salkehatchie Presbyterian Church
This was formerly the site of a Presbyterian church organized in 1766 by the Reverend Arichibald Simpson, minister from Scotland. The church was incorporated on December 17, 1808. Serving the church were the Reverends Simpson, Edward Palmer, and J.B. Van Dyke. In the cemetery are the graves of early Scotch ~ Irish settlers. — Map (db m7118) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Lodge — Bonnie E. Cone
In Memory of Bonnie E. Cone June 22, 1907 ~ March 8, 2003 A native of Lodge and a tireless visionary whose unwavering belief in the love of God the kindness of people and the power of education led to the founding of The University of North Carolina at Charlotte and to an untold number of lives touched by her indomitable spirit of caring — Map (db m32935) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Ritter — 150 Years Of Faith at St. James Church1826-1976
In tribute to all those who, casting away the shackles of servitude and the humiliation of bondage, accepted the sweet yoke of Christ and the light burden of his teachings in the Holy Catholic Church founded by Jesus upon Simon Peter the Apostle, first bishop of Rome, to preach the Gospel to all nations and races, exhorting all to forgive and to be one in love, peace, and faith through the establishment of the reign of God in a world that so often in its weakness abused its fellow men and . . . — Map (db m7885) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Ritter — 15-10 — Catholic Hill
Settlers from Ireland of the Roman Catholic faith in this area helped form the ecclesiastical territory of Colleton, Beaufort, and Barnwell Districts under Bishop John England in 1831. The Church of St. James the Greater was dedicated on this site on December 10, 1832, and remained in use until destroyed by fire on April 12, 1856. — Map (db m7883) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Round O — 15-4 — General Greene At The Round O
General Nathanael Greene advanced into the Low Country with the Continental Army under his command and set up headquarters in this vicinity on the Round O in December 1781 before moving down to protect the General Assembly convened at Jacksonborough in January 1782 in defiance of the British who were confined to Charles Town. — Map (db m8788) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Springtown — Green Pond United Methodist ChurchFormerly Chapel and Camp Ground
December 14, 1808 Bishop Francis Asbury, Bishop William McKIendree, and Rev. Henry Boehm spoke here. June, 1820 Camp meeting was held here from Friday afternoon until Monday morning. There were 125 carriages of all kinds, 50 tents containing 800 persons, 1500 hearers on the Sabbath and 14 preachers. "We recieved sensible displays of the influence of devine grace ... about thirty professed to have recieved a saving change ... there appeared no occasion for one reproof." — Map (db m32160) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Walterboro — 15-17 — Anderson Field / Walterboro Army Air Field
(Anderson Field side): This airfield, the first in Colleton County, was built and dedicated in 1933 on 60 acres leased to the town of Walterboro by the estate of C.C. Anderson, foe whom it was named. By 1937 the town purchased the field and its 3 unpaved landing strips. Local, state, and federal sources combined to fund a large hanger and paved runways by 1941. The U.S. Army Air Corps leased the field from the town in early 1942 and purchased an additional 3,712 acres to create a new . . . — Map (db m4290) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Walterboro — 15-19 — Bethel Presbyterian Church
[Front text] This church, originally located at Jacksonboro, was founded in 1728 by Rev. Archibald Stobo (d.1741), father of the Presbyterian church in S.C. The first building at Jacksonboro was replaced in 1746 by a "hansome sanctuary" that stood until it was destroyed by a forest fire in 1886. A summer chapel built on this site in 1821 was a branch of the Jacksonboro church. [Reverse text] By 1830s the Walterboro church became the main sanctuary under the leadership . . . — Map (db m7117) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Walterboro — 15-18 — Colleton County Courthouse
(Front Text): The original section of this courthouse, completed in 1882 after the county seat moved to Walterboro from Jacksonborough, was built by contractor William Thompson. The front portico is attributed to Robert Mills, who completed an unfinished design by William Jay. The courthouse was in such poor condition within a few years, however, that it was extensively renovated in 1843-44. (Rear Text): This courthouse, listed in the National Register of Historic Places in . . . — Map (db m7063) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Walterboro — Colleton County Veterans War Memorial
Short and tall, rich and poor, black and white, farmer and shopkeeper - they came from every walk of life. The men and women of Colleton County have always answered the call to defend the flag and protect our freedom. They have done this without hesitation during times of conflict and peace. They gave their all for God and country. We owe them a great debt. — Map (db m7150) WM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Walterboro — Confederate Monument — Colleton County , South Carolina
(Front face):To the Confederate soldiers of Colleton County, SC To those who fought and lived To those who fought and died To those who gave much And to those who gave all (Rear face): To the mothers, wives, sisters and daughters of Colleton County Who fought the home battles of 1861-1865. — Map (db m7064) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Walterboro — 15-11 — Hickory Valley
Near here in a hickory grove Paul and Jacob Walter built in 1784 summer houses which formed the nucleus of a summer colony which grew into the town of Walterboro. The first store in the town was here and later the first drug store. The park here was the center of community life until the cyclone of 1879 leveled most of the trees. — Map (db m7112) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Walterboro — Prisoner Of War Camp and Camouflage School
During World War II over 400,000 German and Italian POWs were quartered in camps across the United States. In many cases the prisoners were used to fill vast labor shortages in production and agriculture. Their prisoner camps were small communities where they were able to shop at a canteen, put on plays and concerts, have sports matches and take courses in English. Most German POWs were not ardent Nazis. They came to appreciate the kindness they were shown in the US and carried the principals . . . — Map (db m22627) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Walterboro — The Beacon(Aircraft Guiding Light)
In 1945, the army deeded the Walterboro Army Airfield, previously known as Anderson Airfield, jointly to the City of Walterboro and Colleton County, including all surplus equipment. The Beacon (Aircraft Guiding Light) was left as part of the surplus equipment.In 1996, World War II Buffs, from out of the state, were caught making off with a load of military artifacts, including this beacon. Fortunately they were stopped. This pedestal was constructed for the Beacon by students from the . . . — Map (db m7020) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Walterboro — The Tuskegee Airman of World War II
In honor of the Tuskegee Airman, their instructors, and ground support personnel who participated in training for combat at the Walterboro Army Airfield during the Second World War. Because of their heroic action in combat they were called Schwartz Vogelmenschen, "Black Bird Men", by the Germans who both feared and respected them. White American bomber crews, in reverence, referred to them as the "Red Tailed Angels," because of their tail assemblies and because of their reputation for not . . . — Map (db m4324) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Walterboro — The Tuskegee Airmen
(Top left picture): In April of 1944, Walterboro Army Airfield stopped training fighter groups and switched to advanced individual air combat training. Over 500 black airmen from the training program at Tuskegee trained at the airfield between 1944 and October 1945. Class 44-F shortly before their transfer to Walterboro Army Air Field. Tuskegee Army Air Field June 1944. Photograph courtesy of Hiram Mann (Middle left picture): After transfer from Tuskegee Army Air . . . — Map (db m22611) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Walterboro — 15-21 — Training the Tuskegee Airmen
(Front text) Graduates of the Tuskegee Army Flying School, who belonged to the first African-American units in the U.S. Army Air Corps, took further combat flight training at Walterboro Army Air Field from May 1944 to October 1945. Many of the first “Tuskegee Airmen” had already won distinction and fame in missions over North Africa, Sicily, and Italy in 1943-44, and several of them were assigned here as combat flight instructors. (Reverse text) Trainees here flew . . . — Map (db m43420) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Walterboro — Walterboro
Settled by Paul and Jacob Walter in 1784. Became a summer resort for Edisto, Combahee and Ashepoo planters. Incorporated in 1826. Since 1822 the County Seat of Colleton. In the court house was held, June 1826, the first Nullification Meeting under the leadership of Robert Barnwell Rhett, the "Father of Sucession." Robert Y. Hayne and James Hamilton. — Map (db m7084) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Walterboro — Walterboro Army Air Field
"We were prisoners, but (we weren't made to) feel like prisoners. We were just people waiting to go back home" - Helmut Ulbricht, German POW, Walterboro Army Air Field, 1945.The Press and Standard, 1994. Two Hundred and fifty German prisoners of war were held at WAAF during WW II, providing essential labor for local farmers and repatriation at the end of the war. Look closely. Buildings are rising out of forgotten foundations in the surrounding woods. Listen . . . — Map (db m22631) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Walterboro — Walterboro Army Airfield
(Left Column) Walterboro Army Airfield In the late 1920's and 1930's, a rough landing strip was made on the farm of C.C. Anderson just outside Walterboro. Starting in 1941, as part of the World War II effort,The U.S. Government acquired the site of the strip and assembled a total of 3,815 acres for the Walterboro Army Airfield. Construction began in April 1942, and just four months later, on August 4, 1942, the base was activated. The completed installation consisted of a large . . . — Map (db m22479) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Walterboro — Walterboro Army Airfield
" Both white and negro troops will be stationed there, with negro troops to constitute about ten percent of the total personnel." - The Press and Standard, 1942 " A network of army air fields, used for training purposes and available for grimmer duty should the need arise, is developing over the South. One of them, Anderson field... has brought the war home to Walterboro." - The Press and Standard, 1942 Walterboro Army Air Field (WAAF) was activated on August 4, . . . — Map (db m22562) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Walterboro — 15-9 — Walterboro Jail
This neo-Gothic building, designed by Jones and Lee, noted architects of Charleston, and constructed by J.& B. Lucas in 1855-56, replaced the jail built in 1822 when Walterboro became the seat of justice of Colleton District. It served as a jail until 1937, since which time it has been used by Colleton County to house various offices. — Map (db m9970) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Walterboro — 15-7 — Walterborough Academy
Incorporated December 17, 1834, Walterborough Academy was the forerunner of the present city school system. Its trustees were Malachi Ford, John G. Godfrey, John D. Edwards, David Campbell, and Archibald Campbell. The Reverend John B. Van Dyke served as Preceptor until his death on February 17, 1840. — Map (db m8665) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Walterboro — Walterborough Library SocietyEst. 1820 - Inc. 1821
Marked geographic center of town First location on present site of St. Jude's Episcopal Church Moved in 1845 to land given by Richard B. Bedon Now used by the Colleton County Historical Society — Map (db m7114) HM
39 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 

More Search Options
Near You

States and

Counties or

To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.