|Florida (Collier County), Everglade City — F-269 — Old Laundry Building - Everglades Women's Club|
|The first permanent white settlers arrived in this region in the late 19th century. A community dependent on hunting, fishing, and farming soon emerged. The land upon which Everglades City now stands was acquired in 1921-22 by Barron Collier, a wealthy advertising man. In 1923 Collier County was formed with the Town of Everglades as county seat. A planned town It was built on filled land at Collier’s direction, service facilities were provided, and by 1928 this building had been completed as a . . . — Map (db m90092) HM|
|Florida (Collier County), Everglades — F-649 — Everglades Community Church — Established 1926|
|This building was completed by April 1940 on land donated in May 1939 by the estate of Barron Gift Collier, founder of the county which bears his name and its largest landholder. The congregation at that time was Presbyterian, officially established in 1926, and had met in various places in the city. Before then, various visiting pastors served the area, the first being the Reverend George W. Gatewood in 1888. One condition of the gift of land was that the structure be erected before October 1, . . . — Map (db m90290) HM|
|Florida (Collier County), Everglades — Old Collier County Courthouse|
|This building was completed in 1928 to be the first seat of government for Collier County which was founded in 1923 by entrepreneur and landowner Barron Gift Collier. The Town of Everglades was also headquarters for the building of the Tamiami Trail through the swamp.
In 1953, the town was incorporated as Everglades City. In 1962, the county seat moved to Naples and the building became Everglades City Hall.
In 2005, it was damaged by Hurricane Wilma and has since been completely restored by Mayor Sammy Hamilton, Jr. — Map (db m90095) HM|
|Florida (Collier County), Naples — Lester J. and Dellora A. Norris|
|In grateful appreciation to
Lester J. and Dellora A. Norris
Acquisition of this park was made possible when Lester J. and Dellora A. Norris arranged the purchase of the land on April 24, 1964, through their St. Charles, Illinois charities.
The Board of County Commissioners of Collier County named the park Delnor Park, as a tribute to Dellora A. Norris, until the state purchased it from the county in 1970 and renamed it Delnor-Wiggins Pass State Recreation Area. . . . — Map (db m15877) HM|
|Florida (Collier County), Naples — Rosemary Cemetery|
|Opened in 1931, Rosemary Cemetery was originally established on twenty acres of land given by Edward W. Crayton, a prominent Naples citizen and president of the Naples Improvement Company. It served as the town's only cemetery until 1955. The graves of several pioneer families were moved to this site during the 1930's from an earlier cemetery once located at Third Street and Tenth Avenue South in old Naples. Among those believed buried here are John and Madison Weeks, Naples' first permanent . . . — Map (db m15878) HM|
|Florida (Collier County), Naples — F-157 — The Naples Pier|
|Built in 1888 as a freight and passenger dock, the Naples Pier stands as a community landmark. Narrow gauge train rails spanning the length of the pier transported freight and baggage in the early 1900’s. Part of the structure as well as the post office located on the pier was razed by fire in 1922. Rebuilt after damage by hurricane in 1910, 1926, and 1960, it remains a public symbol of the area’s history. — Map (db m92802) HM|
|Florida (Collier County), Naples — Tin City — City of Naples Diamond Jubilee — 1923-1998|
|Tin City's legacy began in the 1920's when Henry Espenlaub, brother-in-law of Ed Frank (Swamp Buggy Creator), leased his property to pioneering commercial fishing families. They constructed docks and tin roofed buildings to serve fishing fleets and clam and oyster processing plant. Its strategic positioning near the Tamiami Trail (est. 1928,) and the Naples Depot (est. 1927) made it one of the City’s first economic centers and attractions. In 1977 Kenney Schryver led the initiative to transport . . . — Map (db m90088) HM|
|Florida (Collier County), Ochopee — Ochopee Post Office|
|Considered to be the smallest post office in the United States, this building was formerly an irrigation pipe shed belonging to the J. T. Gaunt Company tomato farm. It was hurriedly pressed into service by postmaster Sidney Brown after a disastrous night fire in 1953 burned Ochopee’s general store and post office. The present structure has been in continuous use ever since—as both a post office and ticket station for Trailways bus lines—and still services residents in a three-county . . . — Map (db m90091) HM|