HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Colonial Heights Markers
Virginia, Colonial Heights — S 31 — "Brave to Madness"
Nearby on 9 May 1864, Brig. Gen. Johnson Hagood's South Carolina Brigade attacked advancing elements of the Union X and XVIII Corps. As they 11th S.C. Infantry Regiment engaged the Federals across Swift Creek near Arrowfield Church, the 21st and 25th S.C. crossed the creek and charged up the hill to attack Brig. Gen. Charles A. Heckman's "Star" Brigade. Repulsed with a loss of 137 casualties, the South Carolinians were praised in an official report as "brave to madness." Their gallant charge . . . — Map (db m14624) HM
Virginia, Colonial Heights — Colonial Heights War Memorial
Dedicated in memory of the men of Colonial Heights who gave their lives in the service of their country World War II 1941 ··· 1945 Sponsored by Colonial Heights Post No. 284 The American Legion Percy M. Adkins Lewis F. Ayscue Oscar L. Bell W. Leslie Blankenship Robert G. Charles Thomas P. Crumpler J. William Dance, Jr. Stanley S. Dimirack Preston H. Goulder John A. Mann Herbert B. Nunnally Carlton B. Rowland John B. Trench Benjamin . . . — Map (db m57276) WM
Virginia, Colonial Heights — Confederate Fortification
This Fortification was part of a line of Confederate earthworks that guarded Swift Creek and the western approaches to Fort Clifton on the Appomattox River. It was probably constructed in response to Federal threats during Butler’s Bermuda Hundred campaign in May-June 1864. Archeological evidence indicates that this fortification was defended by field artillery, supported by infantry sharpshooters drawn from the garrison of nearby Fort Clifton. The defenders of Fort Clifton included Confederate . . . — Map (db m17077) HM
Virginia, Colonial Heights — Dunlop Station"...burning cartridges like shooting stars"
Dunlop Station on the Richmond and Petersburg Railroad was located here on the southern boundary of David Dunlop's Ellerslie estate. During the siege of Petersburg, June 1864-April 1865, a military rail spur was completed in March 1865 that extended southwest from here to a Confederate quartermaster depot at Ettrick, making this an important railroad junction. It enabled trains to avoid Federal shelling of the main rail line from Dunlop Station to Petersburg, two miles south. Passenger trains . . . — Map (db m14636) HM
Virginia, Colonial Heights — S 34 — Dunlop's Station
At the nearby junction of the Richmond and Petersburg Railroad and the Confederate military spur line to Ettrick, stood Dunlop's Station, a Confederate telegraph post and supply depot. During the siege of Petersburg, southbound passengers were detrained here to avoid Federal shells that endangered travel over the Appomattox River railroad bridge to the south. On 2 April 1865, surplus ammunition was moved here as the Confederates prepared to evacuate Petersburg. During the night of 2 April, the . . . — Map (db m14637) HM
Virginia, Colonial Heights — S 35 — Electric Railway
Located here was Stop 54 on the electric interurban railway line between Richmond and Petersburg. Opened in 1902 by the Virginia Passenger and Power Co., the line crossed Swift Creek on a steel truss bridge and followed Ashby Avenue to its intersection here with the Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike. Turning south, the line followed the Boulevard to Stop 66 (Chesterfield Ave.) and crossed the Appomattox River on a trestle. Stone and Webster purchased the line in 1925, renamed it the Virginia . . . — Map (db m1993) HM
Virginia, Colonial Heights — S 32 — Ellerslie
In 1839, David Dunlop and his wife, Anna Mercer Minge, a niece of President William Henry Harrison, acquired the Ellerslie tract. Robert Young designed the castellated Gothic Revival mansion for Dunlop in 1856, and construction began the next year. Surrounded by elaborately landscaped grounds, Ellerslie was damaged during the Civil War by Union artillery on 9 May 1864. Later, Gen. P. G. T. Beauregard established his headquarters here, and a Confederate rest camp occupied the grounds. In 1910, . . . — Map (db m17078) HM
Virginia, Colonial Heights — EllerslieBeauregard’s Headquarters
In 1864, Ellerslie stood in the middle of the Confederate defense line along Swift Creek. On May 9-10, Confederate Gens. Johnson Hagood and Bushrod Johnson, with 4,200 men, contested the advance of a much larger Federal force, composed of elements of Gen. Benjamin F Butler’s Army of the James. During the fighting on May 9, a Confederate battery near the house dueled with Federal gunners across the creek at Arrowfield Farm. A cannonball struck the house’s wall and remained embedded until 1910. . . . — Map (db m48440) HM
Virginia, Colonial Heights — S 33 — Fort Clifton
A short distance east on the Appomattox River stands Confederate Fort Clifton, an important fortification that guarded Petersburg against Union naval attack during the Civil War. On 9 May 1864, Federal gunboats commanded by Maj. Gen. Charles K. Graham attacked the fort. During the engagement, Fort Clifton's artillery disabled the army gunboat Samuel L. Brewster, which its crew then scuttled. The fort's garrison, commanded by Capt. S. Taylor Martin, of the Virginia artillery, received a . . . — Map (db m17073) HM
Virginia, Colonial Heights — Fort CliftonGuardian of the Appomattox
Confederate Fort Clifton guarded the Appomattox River and helped protect Petersburg in 1864-1865. The three earthworks that comprised the fort’s batteries still stand on the bluffs along the river. Artillerists and militiamen garrisoned the position in 1862, and the fortifications were completed early in 1864. A powder magazine, guardhouse and prison stockade, hospital, and even a “ladies quarters” stood inside the fort, while underground huts were “built into ravines and . . . — Map (db m17074) HM
Virginia, Colonial Heights — Fort CliftonA stronghold that was never taken
Fort Clifton, constructed between 1862 and 1864, helped protect the city of Petersburg from Union gunboats. Its high elevation and well-placed gun embrasures made Fort Clifton a stronghold that was never taken by Union forces until it was abandoned after the fall of Petersburg in April 1865. In 1864, Federal gunboats frequently steamed up the Appomattox River to observe the fort. The most important event in Fort Clifton’s history occurred on May 9, 1864, when five Union gunboats sailed up . . . — Map (db m17075) HM
Virginia, Colonial Heights — 26-S — Lafayette At Petersburg
From this hill Lafayette, on May 10, 1781, shelled the British in Petersburg. (On stone under the marker): Headquarters of General Lafayette 1781 Frances Bland Randolph Chapter D.A.R. 1903. — Map (db m14638) HM
Virginia, Colonial Heights — Lee at Violet BankSiege Headquarters
Lt. Col. Walter H. Taylor, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee’s aide, established Lee’s headquarters here at Violet Bank on June 17, 1864, at the beginning of the siege of Petersburg. The city, protected by Confederate defensive works to the east and south, remained connected to Richmond, the Confederate capital, via the Richmond and Petersburg Railroad as well as the Manchester and Petersburg Turnpike. Violet Bank was located near each transportation route, enabling Lee to travel quickly to . . . — Map (db m17069) HM
Virginia, Colonial Heights — S-27 — Lee's Headquarters
Lee's headquarters from the latter part of June, 1864 to September, 1864 were here. — Map (db m14639) HM
Virginia, Colonial Heights — Magnolia Acuminata
Commonly called “Cucumber Tree” One legend says that Thomas Shore, the owner of Violet Bank, planted this tree from a slip given to him by Thomas Jefferson. General Robert E. Lee was camped here on the morning of July 30, 1864 and heard the explosion of the Crater. — Map (db m17070) HM
Virginia, Colonial Heights — Violet Bank
The present building was built around 1815 as it is the domestic architecture of the federal period. There are two theories concerning the origin of the name “Violet Bank”. (1) Because of the thousands of violets that covered the hillside. (2) An allusion to the quotation from “Midsummer’s Night Dream – ‘the bank where the violets grow’”. Thomas Shore, the owner, was a reader of Shakespeare and had a mult-volume set of the poet’s works in his library. — Map (db m17065) HM
Virginia (Chesterfield County), Colonial Heights — S 24 — Advance on Petersburg
Elements of the Union Army of the James, led by Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Butler, landed at Bermuda Hundred on 5 May 1864 to cut the Confederate rail and supply lines between Richmond and Petersburg. On 9 May, Butler sent divisions to Port Walthall Junction and Chester Station and turned south toward Petersburg. At Swift Creek, they encountered Brig. Gens. Johnson Hagood's and Bushrod R. Johnson's divisions protecting the turnpike and railroad bridges. The Confederates launched a counterattack . . . — Map (db m17121) HM
Virginia (Chesterfield County), Colonial Heights — Howlett Line Park
Following the Battle of Ware Bottom Church on May 20, 1864, Confederate forces began digging the earthworks that would become known as the Howlett Line. Named after the Howlett house, which stood at the northernmost point, the line stretched across the Bermuda Hundred peninsula from the James River to the Appomattox River. These fortifications effectively “bottled up” the 30,000-man Army of the James led by Gen. Benjamin F. Butler. The Confederates at this location exchanged fire . . . — Map (db m16096) HM
Virginia (Chesterfield County), Colonial Heights — S 36 — Redwater Creek Engagement
While Union Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Butler's Army of the James entrenched at Bermuda Hundred on 11 May 1864, Confederate Maj. Gen. Robert F. Hoke led parts of two divisions north from Petersburg to unite with Maj. Gen. Robert Ransom's division near Drewry's Bluff and Proctor's Creek. Once there, Hoke formed the Confederate left wing with Ransom on the right facing south. At dawn on 12 May, Union Maj. Gen. William F. Smith led his corps through the Federal line to present-day U.S. Rte. 1, then . . . — Map (db m17123) HM
Virginia (Chesterfield County), Colonial Heights — S 20 — Union Army Railroad Raids
On 5 May 1864, leading elements of Union Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Butler's Army of the James disembarked off transports at Bermuda Hundred, located to the north of here. The next day this army began severing telegraph lines and nearby portions of the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad, a rail line that carried troops, supplies, and food to Richmond from other junctions. Over the next five days, Butler's troops focused on destroying portions of the railroad and fought a number of skirmishes with . . . — Map (db m17120) HM
20 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 129 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.