“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Columbia County Markers
Florida (Columbia County), Fort White — F-362 — Town of Fort White
The town of Fort White, named for a former Second Seminole War fort built nearby in 1837, was founded in 1870 and flourished briefly after the arrival of the railroad in 1888. Phosphate mining and the growing of citrus and cotton sparked a boom that before 1900 made Fort White the second largest city in Columbia County with a population of nearly 2,000. The boom collapsed when severe freezes in the winter of 1896-1897 destroyed the local citrus industry. Phosphate mining ceased by 1910, and the . . . — Map (db m64600) HM
Florida (Columbia County), High Springs — Bellamy Road
Florida Historic Civil Engineering Landmark. Near this point, the Bellamy Road crossed the Santa Fe River. The road was named for its builder, John Bellamy, a civil engineer. Approved by Congress in 1824 and completed in 1826, it was the first Federally funded road in Florida, connecting St. Augustine and Tallahassee. — Map (db m3381) HM
Florida (Columbia County), Lake City — F-68 — Alligator
Originally called Alpata Telophka, or Alligator Town, this site was a Seminole village, ruled by the powerful chief Alligator, an instigator of the Dade Massacre, which began the great Seminole War of 1835. Following the cessation of hostilities, a white settlement sprang up on the site of the old Seminole village and became known simply as Alligator. Prior to the War Between the States, the name was changed to Lake City. — Map (db m57686) HM
Florida (Columbia County), Lake City — Apalachee Trail
The Apalachee Indian Trail of early times passed in this vicinity through Alligator - now Lake City - to near the upper mineral springs - White Springs - on to Tallahassee via Alapaha. This marker commemorates, also, the historically prominent Chief Alligator, whose village stood at head of lake nearby. — Map (db m57642) HM
Florida (Columbia County), Lake City — F-350 — Bethel United Methodist Church
Old Bethel Church was first organized by Alligator area settlers as early as the 1820s. The original church was a small log structure located some two miles northeast of this site. In 1855, this building was erected to accommodate a growing number of parishioners. One of only a few Antebellum church buildings which have survived in rural Florida, Bethel Church has served its congregation continuously since its mid-19th century founding. The building has been known in the community as "the white . . . — Map (db m54580) HM
Florida (Columbia County), Lake City — Confederate Monument
CSA Officers Commanding Brigadier- General Joseph Finnegan Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Hopkins      1st. Battalion Lieutenant-Colonel Theo. Brevard      2nd. Battalion Lieutenant-Colonel, McClellen      4th. Battalion Lieutenant-Colonel, John M. Martin      6th. Battalion This monument erected to perpetuate in loving memory the 151 soldiers of the Confederate Army who lost their lives in the battle at Olustee and . . . — Map (db m58161) HM
Florida (Columbia County), near Mikesville — "CCC Boy" Statue
This "CCC Boy" Statue was erected by Chapter 143, NACCCA, Gainsville, Florida In 2007. Chapter 143 was organized by CCC veterans of the area on October 1, 1988. This statue was donated to Chapter 143 and O'Leno State Park by George and Peggy Lecouris of Tarpon Springs, Florida. George joined the CCC in 1934 and served in Co. 1439, Camp F-9, Vilas, Florida, in the Apalchicola National Forest. This statue is dedicated to the 50,000 Florida "CCC Boys" who replanted . . . — Map (db m66128) HM
Florida (Columbia County), near Mikesville — Civilian Conservation CorpsApril 5, 1933   June 30, 1942
2,876,638 American youth served in 4500 CCC Camps restoring ravaged lands of a depressed America. Some Accomplishments 2 to 3 billion trees planted, 800 parks built, 3980 historical sites restored, and 6 million days fighting fires. "We Can Take It" — Map (db m65804) HM
Florida (Columbia County), near Mikesville — F-89 — Town of Leno
Originally called "Keno", for a variation of lotto gambling, the town was settled in the 1860's. Ecclesiastical and commercial pressure changed the name to "Leno" in 1876. A grist and saw mill, cotton gin, stores, and hotel sprang up in the settlement. Railroad construction bypassed the town, and by the 1890's Leno became a ghost town. The site of old Leno (O'Leno) was purchased by the state as a park and forestry station in 1934 — Map (db m64075) HM
9 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 

More Search Options
Near You

States and

Counties or

To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.