|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Baraboo — St. Mary's of the Pines|
| Built by B.I. Durward & Neighbors 1866 Damaged by fire 1923 Restored by Madison Council Knights of Columbus 1929 — Map (db m41612) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Cambria — David J. Jones|
|This memorial is dedicated to the life of David J. Jones Born in Cambria, WI, June 20, 1880. Davy grew up in Cambria playing baseball with well known local players such as the Dodge Brothers, Willard and Ben. Davy was an aggressive leadoff hitter, known for his quickness. His major league career spanned from 1901 to 1915. On Sept. 15, 1901 he made his major league debut with the Milwaukee Brewers of the newly formed American League. Davy also played for the St. Louis Browns, Chicago Cubs, . . . — Map (db m66065) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Cambria — Historical Site|
|On this site in 1844, John Langdon & his four sons erected a sawmill, a dam & gristmill. Other early settlers by the names of McConochie, Dodge, Torbert, & Williams joined in construction. The original place name of Langdon's Mill, later became Florence, Belleville and finally Cambria. The name Cambria is derived from the Welsh word Cymrie (meaning Wales) in honor of early settlement of the area by Welsh immigrants. The first group of Welsh people to come to this area left Liverpool, England . . . — Map (db m66352) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Columbus — Columbus City Hall|
|This 1892 Richardsonian Romanesque building was designed by T.D. Allen of Minneapolis using local materials. It originally housed the Library, Kindergarten and Fire Station in addition to the City Offices, Police Departments and Auditorium. The Annex was added in 1998. — Map (db m67231) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Columbus — Columbus Public Library|
|The Prairie Style Library was designed by Louis W. Claude (former associate of Louis Sullivan) and Edward F. Starck of Madison, Wisconsin, and built with funding from Andrew Carnegie and the Columbus Women's Club. The library was dedicated November 1, 1912. In 1990, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and became handicapped accessible with a new entrance. — Map (db m28344) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Columbus — Farmers & Merchants Union Bank — Established 1861|
|In 1919, Bank President J. Russell Wheeler and his wife, Anna May Wheeler, retained Architect Louis Sullivan. Known as the father of the skyscraper, Sullivan was to design a building that would give the bank an image of financial security, civic monumentality, and community activity. This building is the result of that endeavor. Sullivan referred to it as his “Jewel Box”. It was the last of eight mid-western banks that he designed and it was his last building commission. — Map (db m67230) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Columbus — 324 — Governor James Taylor Lewis / Governor Lewis: Civil War Era|
Governor James Taylor Lewis · 1819 – 1904
Governor James T. Lewis, the ninth Governor of Wisconsin (1864-66), led the state through the tumultuous conclusion of the Civil War. He was born in New Your State and in 1845 settled in Columbus where he practiced law. In 1854-56 he built this house in the Italianate style of architecture. Lewis began his political career as a Democrat, serving in the Assembly, state Senate and as lieutenant governor. He joined the new Republican party . . . — Map (db m22918) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Columbus — Grand Army of the Republic Memorial|
H. M. Brown Post No. 146.
G. A. R.
In memory of our comrades
formerly residents of
Columbus, Otsego, Hampden,
York, Elba & Calamus,
who now fill unknown graves.
1861—1865 — Map (db m28289) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Columbus — World War II Memorial|
|The citizens of the
Township of Elba
purchased this land
in 1947 as a memorial
to the men and women
who served their country
in World War II.
1995 — Map (db m65642) WM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Friesland — Inglehart Church|
|A congregation of German settlers had been worshipping in a log cabin about 200 feet north of this sign, on property homesteaded by James Inglehart in 1846.
In 1867 the congregation decided to build a church.
James Inglehart offered this site as a gift, but the congregation insisted on a legal land purchase. They offered Inglehart $25 but he would only accept $10. The land deed is dated April 6, 1867.
Inglehart hauled lumber and stone for the church, for which he charged nothing, . . . — Map (db m74235) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Lodi — Historic Tree|
|The Palmer Tree, a stately burr oak was a mere acorn in front of the Palmer Family log cabin, when Lodi was settled in 1848. Its testimony to a peaceful community continues, as it stands proudly to welcome all who enter the Lodi Valley Historical Society Dedicated on Arbor Day - April 26, 1997 Lodi, Wisconsin USA — Map (db m33882) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Merrimac — 187 — The Merrimac Ferry|
|Merrimac’s first permanent settler, Chester Mattson, obtained a territorial charter in 1848 to provide ferry service across the Wisconsin River. The State Legislature of 1851 authorized a road, subsequently to become State Trunk Highway 113, to connect settlements at Madison and Baraboo via Matt’s Ferry. Today, the Merrimac Ferry is the lone survivor of upwards of 500 ferries chartered by territorial and state legislatures before the turn of the century.
The fee charged by early ferrymen . . . — Map (db m1932) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Pardeeville — Angie Williams Cox Public Library|
Angie Williams Cox
is listed in the
State Register of
Historic Places — Map (db m22869) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Pardeeville — 423 — Historic Pardeeville / Belmont Hotel|
In 1848, New York native and Milwaukee merchant, John S. Pardee hired agents to oversee his Fox River land holdings and to establish business operations from this location. Yates Ashley, the most notable of Pardee's agents, managed the on-site operations and surveyed and platted the town in 1850. Although railroad tracks were laid here 1857, real growth did not begin until after the 1870s. By 1899, Pardeeville boasted of two hotels, a flour mill, a grain elevator, . . . — Map (db m22896) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Pardeeville — Pardeeville World War I Memorial|
Dedicated to those of this
community who served in
the World War and to the
memory of those who gave
their last full measure of
American Legion Auxiliary to
Harry D. Jerred Post No. 215 — Map (db m39566) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 61 — Fort Winnebago|
|In the autumn of 1828 a permanent fort was built on this site by the First Regiment of the United States Infantry under the command of Maj. David E. Twiggs, later a general in the Confederate Army. The fort was constructed primarily to control the important Fox-Wisconsin portage and to protect American traders from interference by the Winnebago Indians. Lieut. Jefferson Davis, later president of the Confederacy, served here after graduating from West Point. The fort was garrisoned until 1845 . . . — Map (db m2364) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Fort Winnebago Surgeons' Quarters|
|Home of Army Surgeons 1834 - 1845 Occupied by Francis LeRoy before 1828 Restored by Wisconsin Society, Daughters of the American Revolution 1954 — Map (db m42904) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 317 — Frederick Jackson Turner — 1861 – 1932|
|Considered the most important historian of the United States in the twentieth century, Frederick Jackson Turner brought a new understanding to the meaning of the American experience. He was born in Portage; his father was Andrew Jackson Turner, a longtime local newspaper editor and activist. Young Turner left Portage to study at the University of Wisconsin in Madison (B.A. 1884, M.A. 1888) and John Hopkins University in Baltimore (Ph. D 1890). He taught at the University of Wisconsin . . . — Map (db m20029) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Historic Indian Agency House — Built in 1832|
|The Indian Agency House was built in 1832 by the United States Government for John Harris Kinzie and his wife Juliette Magill Kinzie. John Kinzie was the Indian Agent to the Ho-Chunk (Winnebago) Indians. He had been assigned by the Government to protect the interest of the Ho-Chunk and pay them their stipend of silver.
Juliette Magill Kinzie wrote Wau-Bun, the Early Day in the Northwest about her life at Fort Winnebago and the Agency House. Wau-Bun means early day in . . . — Map (db m42998) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Jacques Marquette and Louis Joliet|
|This tablet marks the place near which Jacques Marquette and Louis Joliet entered the Wisconsin River June 14, 1673
Erected by Wau-Bun Chapter D. A. R. 1905 — Map (db m2342) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 451 — Ketchum’s Point|
|Ketchum’s Point, named for a local family, stands above the low, marshy Portage connecting the Fox River and Great Lakes with the Wisconsin and Mississippi rivers. This waterway served as a vital thoroughfare for supplies and furs during the fur trade era. Used in times of flooding, the fork in the portage trail began at this landmark. The trail ascended this bluff, following the Cook Street ridge to the Wisconsin River. The 1827 Ho-Chunk Uprising, begun by the rapid expansion of the lead . . . — Map (db m2407) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 63 — Marquette|
|On June 14, 1673 Jacques Marquette and Louis Jolliet started the portage (1.28 miles) from here to the Wisconsin River, which led to their discovery of the Upper Mississippi June 17, 1673 at Prairie du Chien. The expedition, in two birch bark canoes, traveled south to the mouth of the Arkansas River and returned to St. Ignace, a trip of nearly 3000 miles. Thus a new era of exploration, settlement and commerce began for the Great Lakes region, the Mississippi Valley and the Far West. . . . — Map (db m2341) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Pierre Pauquette Ferry|
|Landing place of the ferry built by Pierre Pauquette and operated by him from about 1828 until his death in 1836. This ferry was in use until the first bridge was built across the Wisconsin River in 1857. — Map (db m74344) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 106 — Potters' Emigration Society|
|Near here in 1849 Thomas Twiggs began a settlement of unemployed potters from Staffordshire, England. To help farmers on both sides of the Fox River reach his store and blacksmith shop at Twiggs' Landing, he operated Emancipation Ferry, named to express his hope that here they would find freedom from the poverty of the Old World. — Map (db m20084) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Revolutionary War Veteran|
|Patriots Cooper Pixley and Alexander Porter served the cause of gaining our nation's independence while dedicated members of the military. Both are buried in Section 33 of this National Soldiers Rest. Cooper Pixley, born in Great Barrington, Berkshire County, Massachusetts on July 16, 1763, enlisted at the age of 15 and served three years in Captain Joseph Troop's Company of Colonel Marius Willett's Regiment of New York Militia. He was present at the famed battle of Monmouth in New Jersey . . . — Map (db m42899) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Site of Fort Winnebago|
|1828 — 1845
Surrender of Red Bird
Noted Winnebago Chief
Erected by Wau-Bun Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1924 — Map (db m4609) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 480 — Society Hill Historic District|
|This 137 building district is bounded, in part, by Emmett, Cass, Wisconsin and MacFarlane streets. Most of the houses were constructed between 1870 and 1910 and are in the Italianate and Queen Anne architectural styles.
Society Hill reflects the wealth and prestige of Portage's early prominent families who lived here because of its convenience to the downtown and the railroad. Located just south of the large Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul Railroad complex, the district housed many . . . — Map (db m20042) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — The Indian Agency House|
|Built by the United States First occupied by John Harris Kinzie Indian Agent and Juliette Magill his wife Purchased and restored by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Wisconsin 1832 1932 — Map (db m42997) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 513 — Zona Gale|
|Zona Gale was born August 26, 1874, in Portage. She graduated in 1899 from the University of Wisconsin-Madison with a Masters in Literature. Gale then spent six years as a journalist in Milwaukee and New York.
Her visits to Portage proved a turning point, when Gale discovered that the people of her hometown were a source of literary material. She traveled frequently, returning to Portage and living with her parents in a home at 506 W. Edgewater that included a study of her own . . . — Map (db m20009) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Poynette — 29 — John Muir View|
|John Muir (1838-1914), world famous naturalist and "father of the national park system," often stopped to rest and admire this view as he walked from his home in Marquette County to the University of Wisconsin. Muir loved the wilderness from which his parents carved a farm and home, first at Fountain Lake, later at Hickory Hill, about 20 miles north from here (south of Montello). When he left Hickory Hill to enroll at the University, Muir's love for nature was matched only by his genius for . . . — Map (db m20148) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Poynette — 259 — Rest Areas on the I-Roads|
|Early roadside rest areas were rural school grounds and country churchyards with their two little houses in back.
In Wisconsin, by 1920, curves were built to eliminate sharp road corners. Local garden clubs, with the American Legion and Auxiliary, began to beautify many of the resulting triangles with flowers and shrubs. Motorists used these places to relax and picnic.
In 1931 the Wisconsin Legislature authorized highway beautification, and later the familiar waysides - small . . . — Map (db m22690) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Poynette — 178 — The Circus|
|Wisconsin has a unique heritage as the birthplace of circuses. More than a hundred had their beginnings in Wisconsin, with Delavan providing winter-quarters for twenty-six between 1847 and 1894. New York brothers Edmund and Jeremiah Mabie brought their United States Olympic Circus to Delavan in 1847, and the idea for P.T. Barnum's Asiatic Caravan was developed in Delavan by William Cameron Coup in 1871. In Baraboo the Ringling Brothers' World Greatest Shows began in 1884, followed by the five . . . — Map (db m41793) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Poynette — Veterans of the American Revolution Memorial Bridge|
|A living memorial to and in honor of veterans who are buried in Wisconsin who served this nation in the American Revolution and who, by their efforts, were responsible for the founding of our country.|
Veterans of the American Revolution After the American Revolution, some of the patriots moved west and settled in Wisconsin. This I-39/90/94 bridge, crossing the Wisconsin river 1.7 miles northwest, is in honor of those veterans and patriots. — Map (db m43824) HM
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Poynette — 545 — Wallis Rowan and His Cabin|
|Wallis/Wallace Rowan (1800-1847) was born in Kentucky of Scotch Irish descent. He was a lead miner, trader, innkeeper, land speculator, farmer, and mill owner. In 1818 he married Elizabeth “Betsy” Metcalf in Illinois. By 1828 Rowan was in Blue Mounds, working at Ebenezer Brigham’s lead mine and store. He then began trading with the Indians, first on the north side of Lake Mendota and later at Winnequah Point on Lake Monona, at Cross Plains, and at this spot.
This marker is . . . — Map (db m67233) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Poynette — Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Highway|
|A living memorial to and in honor of all Wisconsin veterans living and deat, of all wars in which the United States of America has engaged.|
Color guard of the 8th Wisconsin Infranty Regiment with Old Abe at Vicksburg, Mississippi, 1863 The contribution of Wisconsin veterans date to the Civil War, when over 90,000 men took up arms to preserve the Union at places like Antietam, Vicksburg and Gettysburg. Since then, numerous Wisconsin men and women have served in our nation's military during times of peace and war. — Map (db m43825) HM
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Rio — Samuel & Chloe Leonard Doud — 1793 – 1860 · 1791 – 1874|
In memory of
Samuel & Chloe Leonard Doud
1793 – 1860 · 1791 – 1874
Donors of Ohio Cemetery
First burial their grandson
Winfield Doud 1848
– 1955 – — Map (db m25656) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wisconsin Dells — Bailey’s Eddy – Municipal Dock — Kilbourn Landmark|
|This natural harbor is named for Gen. Joseph Bailey, original owner of the property. It has been the gateway to the magnificent dells of Wisconsin for millions of visitors for over 100 years. Sight-seeing boats have developed from spoon-oared rowboats of the 1850’s, through steamboats, wooden naptha, and gasoline launches to the present steel fleet. — Map (db m7757) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wisconsin Dells — Bailey's Landing — (A Landmark Store)|
|This building was constructed on the home site of General Joseph Bailey Civil War hero and a founder of Kilbourn City (now Wisconsin Dells) in 1856. Bailey became a national Civil War hero in 1864 when Porter's Red River Fleet was stranded in low water. Using raftsmen's techniques learned in this area, Bailey freed the fleet, saving the Union two million dollars and shortening the war by two years.
This property was leased from Jack and Ben Olson by Arnold Borcher Co. in 1978, remodeled . . . — Map (db m7966) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wisconsin Dells — Belle Boyd — Kilbourn Landmark|
Born May 9, 1844 in Martinsburg, VA.
Died June 11, 1900 at Kilbourn, WI.
On May 23, 1862 at the Battle of Front Royal, VA., Belle Boyd, then 18, ran across the battlefield between the firing lines with information for Gen. Stonewall Jackson on the disposition of Union troops. With this information Jackson broke through and captured Front Royal, Union forces under Gen. Banks were driven from the Shenandoah Valley.
"One God, One Flag, One People – Forever" – Belle Boyd — Map (db m8023) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wisconsin Dells — First Evangelical Lutheran Church|
This marks the site of the
First Evangelical Lutheran Church
in Moe Settlement
1863 — 1892 — Map (db m8172) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wisconsin Dells — H. H. Bennett Studio — Kilbourn Landmark — America’s Oldest Photographic Studio · Established in 1865|
|This building was constructed in 1875 by Henry Hamilton Bennett, pioneer landscape photographer, nationally known for his artistry, technical excellence and inventive genius. His views of this area brought the earliest tourists to his beloved Dells of Wisconsin. Generations of Bennetts have continued his work. — Map (db m7851) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wisconsin Dells — Kilbourn City — Kilbourn Landmark|
|The first bridge on this site, a wooden structure, was completed in 1857. Byron Kilbourn, land speculator and politician promoted the site. Through his influence the LaCrosse and Milwaukee Railroad crossed the river here instead of at Newport, 2 miles downstream. Newport quickly became a ghost town.
Not a modest man, Kilbourn had the city named after him. Kilbourn City retained that name until 1931 when the townspeople renamed it Wisconsin Dells, more in keeping with the scenic river . . . — Map (db m8047) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wisconsin Dells — 177 — Kingsley Bend Indian Mounds|
|The mounds of this group are a fairly representative sample of those built by the people of the Effigy Mound Culture between A.D. 700-1000. It has been through excavation of other burial mounds quite similar to these that archeologists have learned most of what they know about the people who built them. These people lived by hunting, fishing and gathering wild vegetable foods. They practiced little if any agriculture.
There was usually only a single burial in mounds such as these, but in . . . — Map (db m7731) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wisconsin Dells — 447 — Stroud Bank|
|Perry G. Stroud, a young attorney from New York, established this early bank in Kilbourn City, now Wisconsin Dells, in ca. 1870. Over his thirty-year career as the town's first attorney, Stroud preserved much of the city's early documentary history. Here, his bank still stands with its original brick front and vault. — Map (db m7850) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wyocena — Civil War Monument|
|In memory of
Henry R. Coffin. Charles Bloom. John Chapman.
Co. G. 2d Reg. Wis. Vol. •
Clovis V. Bushnell.
Co. B. 40th Reg. Wis. Vol. •
Co. F. 18th Reg. Wis. Vol. •
Volney Carpenter. Girard Dey.
Co. D. 19th Reg. Wis. Vol. •
Robert R. Williams.
Co. G. 23d Reg. Wis. Vol. •
David H. Everson.
Co. A. 32d . . . — Map (db m37975) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wyocena — Dickason Park / Toppe Field — Major Dickason / Erhardt Toppe|
Major Elbert Dickason founded Wyocena in 1843. He platted and named the village in 1846. He was instrumental in Wyocena being temporarily named the county seat. He died in 1848 and is buried in the Wyocena Cemetery.
Erhardt Toppe was solely responsible for recruiting and managing a baseball team that won the 40 team Home Talent League championship in 1953 and 1954. Toppe gave many youthful ballplayers their first baseball experience. — Map (db m37115) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wyocena — 468 — Major Elbert Dickason / Dickason's "Hotel"|
Major Elbert Dickason
Major Elbert Dickason founder of Wyocena, was born in Virginia in 1799. He moved to Illinois where he joined their militia during the Black Hawk War. Representing a Milwaukee land investor, he founded Columbus in 1839. When his ventures failed in 1843, he moved with his wife Obedience and family to Wyocena. He purchased land for $1.25 per acre, built a cabin, and surveyed, platted, and named the future settlement.
Dickason's . . . — Map (db m22839) HM|
|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wyocena — 550 — Wyona Park / Rifle Pit Legend|
This site has traditionally been a popular picnic area for Wyocena residents. As early as 1905, approximately 1,000 people attended an insurance company picnic at this location. In 1948, Gordon Spear, a lifetime Wyocena resident, sold the grounds to Columbia County and requested that the area be named a county park. In 1971, his dream was realized when the park was completed, dedicated and named Wyona Park. The Spear-Allen Shelter House honors pioneer families instrumental in . . . — Map (db m36448) HM|