|Louisiana (Concordia Parish), Ferriday — 107 — The Blues Trail: Mississipi to Louisiana|
Louisiana and Mississippi have long shared a close musical relationship. One of the most important musical paths was that between Natchez and Ferriday, where African American entrepreneur Will Haney operated Haney’s Big House for several decades. In addition to major national acts the club feature local musicians including Ferriday’s Leon “Pee Wee” Whittaker and Natchez’s Hezekiah Early and Y. Z. Ealey. A young Jerry Lee Lewis often visited the club, soaking up the sounds of the blues. — Map (db m79555) HM|
|Louisiana (Concordia Parish), Frogmore — Frogmore Mound — Ancient Mounds Trail|
|Frogmore is an Indian mound and village site that dates to about AD 700-1200. The mound is rectangular and was built in two separate episodes. It is 14 feet high, 157 by 190 feet at the base, and 60 by 72 feet at the summit. The mound was built within the village area. — Map (db m10581) HM|
|Louisiana (Concordia Parish), Vidalia — Natchez|
|Here passed, in 1543, De Soto’s men under Moscoso. In 1682 La Salle and De Tonti here visited the Natchez Indians. In 1716 Bienville here built Fort Rosalie and established a French settlement. In 1763 the fort was ceded to the English and renamed Ft. Panmure; in 1779 it passed to the Spaniards; in 1798 it was occupied by American troops. Chartered in 1803, the city of Natchez was from 1798 to 1802, and from 1817 to 1821 the capital of Mississippi.
In this, the 224th year since its . . . — Map (db m87168) HM|
|Louisiana (Concordia Parish), Vidalia — Relocation of Vidalia — 1938–1939|
|"Vidalia, a City on the Move!" is the slogan which has, in recent years, signified a progressive town surging ever forward. But, in 1938, it meant something entirely different to Vidalians as they literally moved their town from the banks of the Mississippi River one mile inland to accomodate navigation and flooding issues on the river.
Two U.S. Corps of Engineers projects, the Giles Point Cut-off in 1935 just north of Vidalia, followed by the need to widen the river between Natchez and . . . — Map (db m10582) HM|
|Louisiana (Concordia Parish), Vidalia — Sidney A. Murray, Jr., Hydroelectric Station — 1990|
|In 1990, construction of the largest prefabricated power plant in the world, the Sidney A. Murray, Jr., Hydroelectric Station, was completed 40 miles south of Vidalia. It was the vision of Mayor Sidney A. Murray, Jr. to harness the power of the Mississippi River and to stabilize energy rates for the citizens of the Town of Vidalia.
The first hydroelectric generating station in the State of Louisiana was developed jointly by the Catalyst-Vidalia Corp. and Dominion Capital, Inc. which . . . — Map (db m10583) HM|