HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Cook County Markers
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — “Hubbard’s Folly”
On this site about 1834, Gurdon S. Hubbard built Chicago’s first warehouse for storing pork and other pioneer produce. Because of its size and substantial construction early skeptics called the building "Hubbard’s Folly." Erected by Chicago’s Charter Jubilee Authenticated by Chicago Historical Society 1937 City of Chicago Incorporated 4th March 1837 — Map (db m47692) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — “Rites of Spring”Milton Horn (1906-1995) — Sculptor
This terra-cotta work of art by Milton Horn depicts a ram and an image of Pan, who in Greek mythology was the god of fields, forests, wild animals flock and shepherds. The sculpture is one of two identical pieces created in 1952 for the now-demolished Seneca-Walton Building in Chicago. They were reclaimed from a neighborhood streetscape on the city’s Near North Side. Horn was born in Russia in 1906, emigrated to the United States in 1913 and became a naturalized citizen in 1917. He moved . . . — Map (db m47842) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — (Former) Marshfield Trust and Savings Bank
This terra-cotta-clad flat-iron building makes the most of its triangular building lot. Like many neighborhood banks from the 1920s, the Marshfield Trust and Savings Bank employed the Classical Revival style of architecture to convey a sense of permanence and security. Arcaded two-story arched-windows extend across both street facades. The building contractor was Avery Brundage, who went on to be president of the international Olympic Committee. Designated on October 8, 2008 Richard M. Daley, Mayor Commission on Chicago Landmarks — Map (db m47457) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — 1877 Keystone from City Hall Building
This keystone, taken from the arch of the Washington Street entrance, in the City Hall Building Chicago, which was erected in 1877, replaced by the present building in 1909. — Map (db m68563) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — 910 South MichiganBuilt 1911 — Architect: Marshall and Fox
The Karpen Furniture Company commissioned Marshal and Fox to design a 12-story showroom and company office. The building’s simple ornament contrasted with the exuberant facades of Marshall and Fox’s other work, including the Blackstone and Drake Hotels, and the South Shore Country Club. Date of Addition: 1927 Architect: Graham, Anderson, Probst & White The Standard Oil Company took over the building and added seven stories. — Map (db m47884) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Aaron Montgomery Ward GardensIn Grant Park — “Forever Open, Clear and Free”
Aaron Montgomery Ward had a vision for Chicago’s lakefront that set him apart from most of his contemporaries. For two decades (1890-1910),he fought tirelessly to preserve Chicago’s lake shore as an open space and assure the city’s “front yard” would remain free and clear, providing magnificent views and recreational opportunities to all of its citizens. Grant Park is his legacy to the city he loved... his gift to the future. Dedicated October, 14, 1993 — Map (db m47782) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Abandoned Shoreline of Lake Michigan
This ridge is an ancient beach or sand bar of Lake Michigan whose waters reached this point 8,000 years ago when the lake level was 20 feet higher than now. Clark Street runs north atop this ridge. The park ponds lie between such old beaches, abandoned by the shrinking lake. The outer boundary of Diversey Harbor and the boat slip running south of it to North Avenue are man-made land. — Map (db m47816) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Abraham Lincoln MonumentAugustus Saint-Gaudens, sculptor Stanford White, architect — 1887
Chicago Landmark One of the oldest and most important public sculptures in Chicago, this monument to America’s sixteenth president influenced a generation of sculptors due to its innovative combination of a natural-looking Lincoln-–depicted deep in thought as he is about to begin a speech-–with a Classical style architectural setting. It is the work of two nationally-important American designers and is widely considered to be the most significant nineteenth-century . . . — Map (db m47815) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Alexander Robinson
(Chee Chee Pin Quay) Chief of the Potawatomi, Chippewa, and Ottawa Indians Who died April 22, 1872 Catherine (Chevalier) his wife who died August 7, 1860 and other members of their family are buried on this spot - Part of the Reservation granted him By the Treaty of Prairie Du Chien July 29, 1829 In gratitude for his aid to the family of John Kinzie and to Capt. and Mrs. Heald at the time of the Fort Dearborn Massacre — Map (db m55451) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Alfred Caldwell Lily Pool
“Water has cut deeply into prairie soil. The clays and gravels of the Middle West are merely a thread on stone floors. In this loam, oak trees grass and corn take root.” Alfred Caldwell, 1943 A peaceful oasis surrounded by bustling Lincoln Park, the Alfred Caldwell Lily Pool is one of Chicago’s beloved landmarks. A Victorian garden and lily pool had existed on this site since 1889, but fell into disrepair. In 1937, utilizing funds from the Works Progress Administration, the . . . — Map (db m47844) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Alfred Caldwell Lily PoolAlfred Caldwell, landscape architect — 1936-38
Chicago Landmark One of the most important historic landscapes in Chicago, this “hidden garden” in Lincoln Park was designed by note landscape architect Alfred Caldwell in the Prairie style. Inspired by his mentor Jens Jensen and the work of architect Frank Lloyd Wright, Caldwell poetically interpreted the Midwestern landscape through the use of native plants, stratified stonework, and a natural-looking “prairie river,” with a waterfall that symbolizes it . . . — Map (db m47845) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Alfred Caldwell Lily Pool
has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site is a premier example of the Prairie style of landscape architecture. Alfred Caldwell, a landscape designer, architect, teacher and poet, transformed an old Victorian lily pool in Lincoln Park into a “sanctuary of the native landscape.” Funded by the Works Progress Administration and completed in 1938, it possesses national significance in commemorating the cultural history of the United States. — Map (db m47846) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Allan PinkertonGraceland Cemetery, Chicago IL
In memory of Allan Pinkerton, born in Glascow, Scotland, August 25th 1819. Died in Chicago, Illinois July 1st 1884. Aged 65 years.

A friend to honesty and a foe to crime, devoting himself for a generation to the prevention and detection of crime in many countries. He was the founder in America of a noble profession. In the house of the nation’s peril, he conducted Abraham Lincoln safely through the ranks of treason to the scene of his first inauguration as President. He sympathized with, . . . — Map (db m61986) HM

Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — American Book Company BuildingNelson Max Dunning, architect — 1912
This handsome building originally served as the Midwest office, warehouse and distribution center of the American Book Company, a nationally-prominent textbook publisher. Typical of industrial architecture of its time, this reinforced-concrete building features a distinctive tower and large window openings that give the facade its grid-like appearance. The red-brick exterior is embellished with terra-cotta ornament, including the publishing company's colorful crest and a torch, wings, and a wreath representing the pursuit of knowledge. — Map (db m69594) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Auditorium BuildingAdler and Sullivan, architects — 1889
The extraordinary engineering talent of Dankmar Adler and the architectural genius of Louis Sullivan created this building to reflect the cultural maturity of Chicago. Combining hotel and office space with a splendid theater, the Auditorium was a turning point in Sullivan's career and a milestone in the development of modern architecture. Designated a Chicago Landmark on September 15, 1976 by the City Council of Chicago. Richard J. Daley, Mayor — Map (db m34975) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Battle of Fort DearbornAugust 15 ,1812
From roughly 1620 to 1820 the territory of the Potawatomi extended from what is now Green Bay Wisconsin, to Detroit Michigan, and included the Chicago area. In 1803 the United States Government built Fort Dearborn at what today is Michigan Avenue and Wacker Drive.As part of a strategic effort to protect lucrative trading in the area from the British. During the War of 1812 between the United States and Great Britain, some Indian tribes allied with the British to stop the westward expansion of . . . — Map (db m67806) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Carbide and Carbon BuildingBurnham Brothers Inc., architect — 1929
Chicago Landmark According to popular legend, the architects chose this building’s dark green and gold colors based on a gold-foiled champagne bottle seen at an office holiday party. Whether true of not, the building is one of the most-distinctive features on the Chicago skyline. The lobby also is a classic of Art Deco design, with exceptionally fine bronzework and black marble. The building was designed by Daniel and Herbert Burnham, sons of the legendary architect and city planner Daniel . . . — Map (db m51698) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Catholic CemeteryHidden Truths — The Chicago City Cemetery and Lincoln Park, Then and Now
Chicago's early Catholic Cemetery ran from North Av. south to Schiller St., and Dearborn St. to the lake, now Astor St. Established in 1845, it existed until the 1871 Chicago Fire charred the grounds. Like the City Cemetery to the north, not all remains were exhumed as had been assumed. Skeletal fragments have been unearthed during construction projects in nearly every decade since the 1890's. This two-part project by Pamela Bannos continues on the Internet: http://hiddentruths.northwestern.edu — Map (db m10665) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Charles N. Loucks HouseClarence H. Tabor, architect 1889 — Chicago Landmark
Designed as a "model home," this Queen Anne-style house was built for Irving Park land developer Charles N. Loucks. It is a fine example of "pattern book architecture,", building designs sold through the mail--a popular method used to keep pace with housing demands in the rapidly-growing railroad suburbs of the time. The house is noteworthy for its colored beveled-glass windows, verandah with beaded spindle-work, applied metal ornament and its distinctive turret. — Map (db m66329) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Chicago & North Western Railway PowerhouseFoster & Granger, architects — 1909-1911
Chicago Landmark The Powerhouse is the best-surviving building associated with the Chicago and North Western Railway, one of the city’s most prominent historic railroads. While a utilitarian building, this grandly-scaled example of the Beaux-Arts architectural style is noteworthy for its giant round-arched windows and fine cream-colored brick walls laid to resemble rusticated stone. The powerhouse provided electricity and steam heat to the original terminal (demolished), standing . . . — Map (db m47726) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Chicago River
This river originally flowing eastward from the prairie home lands of the Potawatomi and other Indian tribes into Lack Michigan, linked the waters of the Atlantic, the St. Lawrence and the Great Lakes with those of the Illinois, the Mississippi and the Gulf of Mexico. From 1673, commerce and civilization followed this natural waterway from the seaboard to the heart of the continent.

The strategic importance to early American development of the junction of the Chicago River and Lake Michigan . . . — Map (db m47685) HM

Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Chicago Water Tower1869 – 1969
In this its centennial year the Chicago Water Tower has been designated the first American Water Landmark “because of its significance in the development of Chicago’s water resources and its symbolic identity with the spirit of Chicago.” Richard J. Daley, Mayor City of Chicago James W. Jardine Commissoner Department of Water & Sewer An American Water Landmark Water Tower Chicago, Illinois Significant in the History of Public Water Supply Designated by American Water Works Association — Map (db m47575) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Churchill Corner
A crossroads in the development of Oekology (Ecology) at the turn of the century. Named for Dr. Frank Spooner Churchill an early pediatrician, medical inspector of Chicago;s Board of Health who pioneered reforms in pure food, water, air and sanitation; physician to the Juvenile Court who advance psychology for the rehabilitation of children; and his wife, great-grand daughter of Lucretia Mott, Lucretia Mott Hallowell Churchill, a courageous worker for women's rights, child health and labor . . . — Map (db m47604) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — City CemeteryHidden Truths — The Chicago City Cemetery and Lincoln Park, Then and Now
This was the site of the City Cemetery, Chicago's only public graveyard from 1843-1859. Extending from North Av. to Wisconsin St., there were more than 20,000 burials here. For nearly twenty years beginning in 1866, as the grounds were converted to Lincoln Park, bodies were being exhumed and carried to new private cemeteries outside city limits. Since the 1890's construction projects have been revealing skeletal remains. For various reasons, many bones likely still remain here beneath the soil. . . . — Map (db m10660) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Columbia Yacht ClubFounded 1892
During the winter of 1891, a group of Chicago sailors gathered at the home of a bridge tender to discuss the formation of a club dedicated to the sport of sailing. Their idea was to create on the lakefront, a facility where men and women could enjoy the art and skill of recreational boating. In 1892, the State of Illinois granted these Chicago pioneers a charter for their organization and helped with the site selection at the foot of Randolph Street. The new club would adopt the name . . . — Map (db m47651) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Confederate Mound Monument
Confederate Dead Erected to the memory of the six thousand southern soldiers here buried, who died in Camp Douglas Prison 1862-5. These men suffered all, sacrificed all, dared all, and died. — Map (db m63605) WM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Continental and Commercial Bank BuildingD.H. Burnham & Co. ; Graham, Anderson Probst & White, architects — 1914
Chicago Landmark This massive block-long office building was built to house one of Chicago’s leading banks and exemplifies the large commercial buildings that define the distinctive LaSalle Street “canyon.” Architect Daniel Burnham personally supervised its design just before his death in 1912, and the building was completed by his successor firm. Designed in Burnham’s preferred Classical Revival style, the building is detailed with giant columns, pilasters, lion’s heads, . . . — Map (db m47757) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Couch TombHidden Truths — The Chicago City Cemetery and Lincoln Park, Then and Now
This stone vault is the oldest structure standing within the Chicago Fire zone. It was erected in 1858 for Ira Couch, a wealthy hotelier who died at age 50 while wintering in Cuba. Though some theories exist, there is no official answer as to why this tomb was left behind on the site of the Chicago City Cemetery. Varying accounts of the number entombed suggest 7 to 13 or merely Ira alone. This two-part project by Pamela Bannos continues on the Internet: http:/hiddentruths.northwestern.edu — Map (db m10664) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Couch Tomb
In 1857, the Couch Brothers, owner’s of Chicago’s Tremont Hotel, built this mausoleum in what was then a public cemetery on the edge of Lake Michigan. Designed by John Van Osdel, Chicago’s first professional architect, the classically-inspired structure is composed of limestone block masonry. The remains of the six Couch family members and one family friend are in the tomb. In the 1850s, less than twenty years after the creation of the City Cemetery, citizens became concerned that cholera, . . . — Map (db m47814) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Dearborn StreetChicago Cultural Walk
[Side A] Dearborn Street showcases some of Chicago’s best architecture, art, and urban design dating from the late 19th century. Great names in architecture include Chicago School architects William LeBaron Jenney, Burnham & Root, and Holabird & Roche, as well as highly regarded modern architects, Mies van der Rohe, Skidmore Owings and Merrill C.F. Murphy, and Perkins and Will. Sculptures by world famous artists line the street, including those by Pablo Picasso, Joan Miro, Henry Moore, . . . — Map (db m47885) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — DeWitt Clinton Cregier
This tablet is erected in recognition of the outstanding services to the city of Chicago given by DeWitt Clinton Cregier Engineer of Chicago Ave. Pumping Station 1853-1879 City Engineer 1879-1883 Commissioner of Public Works 1882-1886 Mayor of Chicago 1889-1891 — Map (db m47579) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — 2 — Early Prominent Residents of Old Town (#2)
In the early 1800s and 1900s, Old Town was a thriving community of immigrants, laborers, brewers and civic leaders who contributed to the early success of Chicago. William B. Ogden – resident of Old Town and first mayor of Chicago from 1837-38. Stephen F. Gale – resident of Old Town and first fire chief of Chicago – 1845. Michael Diversey – prosperous German brewer and landowner – 1810-1869. Charles H. Wacker – successful 1900s brewer and civic . . . — Map (db m47607) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Emil Bach HouseFrank Lloyd Wright, Architect — 1915
One of the last of Wright's small urban houses, the Bach House combines elements of the Prairie Style with a compact plan well suited for an interior lot. The inward orientation of the house ensures the privacy of its residents and reflects Wright's idea of the importance of family life. — Map (db m59980) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — First Post Office
Near this site in 1833, the log store of John S.C. Hogan, was this section’s only post office, serving settler from miles around. Eastern mail was delivered once a week from Niles, Michigan. Erected by Chicago’s Charter Jubilee Authenticated by Chicago Historical Society 1937 City of Chicago Incorporated 4th March 1837 Map (db m47724) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Fort Dearborn
Defense Fort Dearborn stood almost on this spot. After an heroic defense in eighteen hundred and twelve, the garrison together with women and children was forced to evacuate the fort. Led by Captain Wells, they were brutally massacred by the Indians. They will be cherished as martyrs in our early history. — Map (db m47670) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Gauler Twin HousesWalter Burley Griffin, Architect — 1906
Built as speculative housing by John Gauler, this pair of wood-and-stucco residences is a rare example of a "twin" Prairie School design. Their architect is internationally recognized for his distinctive designs and for his early contributions to the field of "land planning." The vertical composition of these houses, a hallmark of Griffin's work, shows his skill in adapting Prairie-style principles to a relatively small, narrow urban site. — Map (db m68556) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Grant ParkBuckingham Fountain — Architect: Bennett, Parsons and Frost • Engineer: Jacques Lambert • Sculptor: Marcel François Layau
[Decorative features listed left to right; click on marker to enlarge] Console Size: 7’-0” high 3’-6” wide 6’-0” deep Material Pink Marble The console is a decorative bracket carved as a vertical scroll and projecting from the wall to support the water sculpture. There are 16 total with 8 on the two lower basins. Shell Size 2’-9” high 2’-3” wide 1’-10” deep Material: Pink Marble The shells are part of the sea life decorative motif and . . . — Map (db m47659) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Great World War1917 – 1918
In Memoriam Erected by the Harold A. Taylor Post No. 47 American Legion In honor and grateful recognition of the gallant and meritorious services of the soldiers, sailors, and marines of the North Central District who sacrificed their lives in the Great World War 1917 – 1918 — Map (db m47581) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Green Bay Road
From this point, the Green Bay Road ran northwesterly to Clark Street and North Avenue, and followed Clark Street’s present route to the vicinity of Peterson Avenue. This road connected Fort Dearborn with Fort Howard, Green Bay, Wisconsin. Erected by Chicago’s Charter Jubilee Authenticated by Chicago Historical Society 1937 City of Chicago Incorporated 4th March 1837 — Map (db m66624) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Henry B. Clarke House1836
Known as the widow Clarke's house, this is Chicago's oldest building and its only surviving example of the Greek Revival style fashionable in the early 1800s. — Map (db m69587) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Henry Gerber House1885 — Chicago Landmark
This house is nationally significant as the earliest known site associated with the gay and lesbian civil rights movement in the United States. It was the home of pioneering activist Henry Gerber from 1924 to 1925, during which time he organized the Society for Human Rights, the nation’s first gay civil-rights organization. The house was the location of Society meetings and the place where Gerber write at least the first of the two issues published of “Friendship and Freedom,” the . . . — Map (db m47813) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Hidden TruthsThe Chicago City Cemetery and Lincoln Park, Then and Now
The 1852 funeral for David Kennison was the most elaborate Chicago had ever seen. The City paid all expenses, and donated 2 cemetery lots, intending to erect a monument on his grave. That never happened. The legend of his exploits grew to unfeasible proportions. His Boston Tea Party fame, military achievements, and his claim to have lived to the age of 115 years are disputed today. This boulder, installed 50 years after Kennison's death, is likely two blocks north of his actual burial site in . . . — Map (db m10657) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Hotel St. Benedict FlatsJames J. Egan, architect — 1882-83
This rare surviving example of Victorian Gothic design is also one of the city's best late-19th century apartment buildings. Because early luxury apartments were viewed with skepticism, this building was designed to look like a series of four separate townhouses. It was named for the Benedictines, a religious order that had operated a church on the site before the Fire of 1871. — Map (db m66612) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Indian Boundary Park1916
This 13.06 acre park commemorates the treaty of 1816 which established the land boundaries of the Pottawatomie Indians. — Map (db m68559) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Indian Boundary Village
Long ago, Native American Indians lived on this land. Before recorded history, the Mound Builders traveled the area, perhaps along the nearby Ridge. Later the Illinois Tribe hunted game and planted maize. Last it was the Ottawa, the Chippewa, and especially the Pottawatomie who lived here. The Pottawatomie, which means "People of the Place of the Fire", lived in villages on the Indian Boundary Line which runs through this Park. — Map (db m68560) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Jack BrickhouseHall of Fame Broadcaster — 1917-1998
[Front:] [Artwork motif of Wrigley Field, Soldier Field and Comiskey Park.] 'Hey Hey' [Left Side:] Inducted into Media Wing of Baseball Hall of Fame, Cooperstown, NY, in 1983, and 13 other Halls of Fame throughout the nation. Broadcasted for Chicago Cubs – 40 years; Chicago White Sox – 27 years; Chicago Bears - 24 years; 1st TV voice for Chicago Bulls. 1962 – play by play announcer for 1st satellite telecast. Recipient of . . . — Map (db m47668) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Jane Addams' Hull-House and Dining HallSettlement active from 1889 to 1963
Here, in 1899, Jane Addams and Ellen Gates Starr started what became the most influential social settlement in America. It eventually consisted of several buildings around this house which had been built in 1856 by Charles Hull. The Dining Hall and Hull-House itself, reconstructed in 1967, remain as a memorial to the work of these women. Designated a Chicago Landmark on June 12, 1974 by the City Council of Chicago. Richard J. Daley, Mayor Commission on Chicago Historical and Architectural Landmarks — Map (db m61819) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Jean Baptiste Beaubien
On this site, then the lake shore, Jean Baptiste Beaubien, Chicago's second civilian, in 1817, built a “mansion” to which he brought his bride, Josette LaFramboise. It remained their home until 1845. — Map (db m72205) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Jean-Baptiste Pointe DuSable1745-1818 — Founder of Chicago
African-Caribbean, born in St.Marc, Haiti In the 1770's he opened the first trading post, beside the Chicago River, establishing the settlement that became Chicago. The DuSable homestead was located near this site. This monument was given to the City of Chicago by Haitian-born Mr. Lesley Benodin to honor the legacy of its founder. Bust of Jean Baptiste Pointe DuSable Erik Blome 2009 City of Chicago Richard M Daley, Mayor Public Art Collection — Map (db m79428) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — John J. Glessner HouseHenry Hobson Richardson, Architect — 1887
A mature Richardsonian design, Glessner House is famous for its site development, innovative floor plan and rugged Romanesque facade. Glessner House, a reminder of the fabulous Prairie Avenue era, is the only remaining Chicago building by this renowned architect. — Map (db m69586) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Kennison Boulder Monument
In Memory of David Kennison The Last Survivor of the "Boston Tea Party" who died in Chicago, February 24, 1852, aged 115 yrs, 3 mos, 17 da, and is buried near this spot. This stone is erected by the Sons of the Revolution, the Sons of the American Revolution, and the Daughters of the American Revolution. — Map (db m10656) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Lake View High School
Here in 1874, was built Lake View High School, one of the first township schools in Illinois. Erected in accordance with legislation enacted by General Assembly of 1872 Erected by Chicago’s Charter Jubilee Authenticated by Chicago Historical Society 1937 City of Chicago Incorporated 4th March 1837 — Map (db m47456) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Landmark Landings
Along with the South Pond and Lincoln Park Zoo, the landmark buildings of Café Brauer and Carlson Cottage have served Chicago for more than 100 years. Their history parallels the growth of the pond—and the city around it. Timeless Elegance—Café Brauer A beautiful example of prairie-style architecture, Café Brauer overlooks the pond’s northwest end. Designed by Dwight Perkins, a contemporary of Frank Lloyd Wright, the building was built in 1908. While Café Brauer . . . — Map (db m47818) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Lincoln Park TransitionsHidden Truths — The Chicago City Cemetery and Lincoln Park, Then and Now
Lincoln Park, named in 1865 for the assassinated President, gradually replaced the 22 year old City Cemetery. This urban cemetery land, already desired for park grounds, was first deemed a health hazard in 1859. That same year officials began transferring remains to a private cemetery for the first time. In 1866, a civil lawsuit forced exhumations in a 12 acre tract. The 1871 Chicago Fire disfigured the remaining grounds. In 1874, unclaimed cemetery lots were condemned for the expansion of . . . — Map (db m10659) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Lion House, Lincoln Park ZooPerkins, Fellows & Hamilton, architects — 1912
Located in one of the country's oldest municipal zoological parks, the Lion House blends both the grandly-scaled public architecture of the Classical style with the innovative Prarie style developed by Chicago architects in the early 20th century. The building was designed by important architect Dwight H. Perkins, an advocate of park and school reform. The building has excellent brickwork and terra-cotta ornament, unique lion mosaic, and a grand interior with a vaulted Guastavino-tile ceiling, . . . — Map (db m10653) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Ludington BuildingWilliam Le Baron Jenney, architect — 1891
Chicago Landmark The city’s earliest surviving steal-frame building, a type of construction that changed commercial architecture. As one of the first structures clad in terra cotta, it marked an important step in the development of the architectural terra cotta industry. It was built by Mary Ludington to house the American Book Company, and it represents one of the high points of its architect, who is widely considered to be the “father of the skyscraper.” Designated . . . — Map (db m47781) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Monument of the Millennium
[Text on the right] The ASCE presented only ten such awards worldwide, each representing the most outstanding example of Civil engineering in a particular area of infrastructure over the past century.

Created in 1889, the District built canals that reversed the flow of the Chicago River away from Lake Michigan, protecting the public drinking water supply and eliminating waterborne diseases prevalent at the time. The District later built wastewater treatment plants to collect and treat . . . — Map (db m47658) HM

Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Office and Studio of Perkins, Fellows & Hamilton, architects1917 — Chicago Landmark
Finely detailed with tapestry brick and carved stone ornament, this Arts & Crafts-influenced facade is an excellent example of the type of designs for which this architectural firm was noted. "Towertown," as the area surrounding the Chicago Water Tower was referred to, was a bohemian enclave of artists' studios, galleries, coffee houses, and nightclubs. — Map (db m66729) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Old Fort Dearborn
Here • Stood Old • Fort • Dearborn 1803 – 1812 — Map (db m79616) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — 3 — Old Town and The Great Fire (#3)
On October 7, 1871, the Great Fire of Chicago started on the south side of the city and continued north. As the fire approached Old Town, the bells of St. Michael’s Church began to toll. The walls of church survived, but the interior was destroyed. The church bells melted in the intense heat. Much of the Old Town neighborhood was destroyed. As Chicago began to rebuild, wealthy families from the south and west sides of the city began moving into the area. With the neighborhood’s population and . . . — Map (db m47605) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Old Town TriangleChicago Landmark District
Settled in the 1850s by German immigrants, this area was virtually destroyed by the Fire of 1871. Most of these wood cottages and brick and stone townhouses date to the last decades of the 19th century. After World War II, this area became the focus of one of the city’s earliest neighborhood conservation efforts. — Map (db m47626) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — 1 — Old Town’s Entrepreneur Spirit (#1)
From 1870 through the 1800s, Henry Piper, one of Old Town’s early entrepreneurs, operated a successful bakery in a narrow alley. Today, the building at Wells and North is known as Piper’s Alley. The existing house located at 1546 North Wells was built in 1874 and was the site of a coal yard. Farmers returning home from doing business downtown would stop and water their horses at a trough provided in the yard. In the 1920s, German carpenter Louis Seipp, operated his wood working business from . . . — Map (db m47609) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Old Treaty Elm
The tree which stood here until 1933, marked the Northern Boundary of the Fort Dearborn Reservation, the trail to Lake Geneva, the center of Billy Caldwell’s (Chief Sauganash) Reservation, and the site of the Indian Treaty of 1835. — Map (db m55577) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Old Water Tower
This water tower, completed in 1869[,] marks establishment of Chicago’s second water works. Although most other buildings of pumping system were burned it stands as a principal memorial of 18 71’s great fire. Erected by Chicago’s Charter Jubilee Authenticated by Chicago Historical Society 1937 City of Chicago Incorporated 4th March 1837 — Map (db m47576) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Oz Park
Oz Park was created in 1974, as part of an renewal program for the Lincoln Park area. Historically, the neighborhood underwent numerous population shifts and by the 1950s home ownership was declining and many buildings were in sub-standard condition. The Lincoln Park Conservation Association approached the City of Chicago, and a large section of the community was designated as the Lincoln Park Urban Renewal Area. As part of the Urban Renewal Plan, a 13 acre site was identified for a new park. . . . — Map (db m47629) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Philip Rogers Home Site
Philip Rogers, born in Ireland, came to Rogers Park about 1834 and bought 1600 acres from the government. First lived in a log house at Lunt and Western Avenues. Died in 1856. Village named after him in 1844. — Map (db m68565) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Potter's FieldHidden Truths — The Chicago City Cemetery and Lincoln Park, Then and Now
From 1843 to 1871, this area was the City Cemetery potter's field, a graveyard for the poor and disenfranchised. More that 15,000 people, including 4,000 Civil War Rebels, were buried here on marshy land near the water's edge. Within six days in July 1854, over 200 cholera victims were laid to rest. Chicago's first Jewish cemetery, established in 1846, was located on what is today's furthest north baseball diamond. Baseball fields have occupied these grounds since 1877. Due to various . . . — Map (db m10663) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Q.S.M.V. Abegweit“Queen of The Northumberland Strait” — Prince Edward Island Service
Builder: Marine Industries Limited, Sorel, Quebec, Canada Launched on June 28, 1947 Hull Number: 144 Length: 372.6 ft. Width: 62 ft. Gross Tons: 7,600 Service: Operated by Canadian National Railway for service from Cape Tormentine, New Brunswick to Borden, Prince Edward Island, August 14, 1947 until March 2, 1983 Compliment: 65 crew, One complete passenger train, 60 autos and 960 passengers. Ship’s name: Pronounced (a-beg-wit), meaning “Cradled on The Waves”. . . . — Map (db m47648) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Regeneration
The Great Chicago Fire in October eighteen hundred and seventy-one devastated the city. From its ashes the people of Chicago caused a new and greater city to rise imbued with that indomitable spirit and energy by which they have ever been guided. Erected by trustees of the B.F. Ferguson Monument Fund, 1928. — Map (db m79609) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Rene Robert Cavalier Sieur de La Salle
In honor of Rene Robert Cavalier Sieur de La Salle & Henry de Tonti who passed through this river on their way to the Mississippi December 1681

This Tablet is placed by the Illinois Society of Colonial Dames of America under the auspices of the Chicago Historical Society 1925 — Map (db m47683) HM

Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Rookery BuildingBurnham and Root, architects — 1886
Chicago Landmark Its powerful exterior softened by John Root’s lively ornament, the Rookery typifies the 1880s’ lingering picturesque attitude toward commercial architecture. A transitional structure in the evolution of modern architecture, it employs both masonry wall-bearing and skeletal frame construction techniques. Designated a Chicago Landmark on July 5, 1972 by the City Council of Chicago. Richard J. Daley, Mayor Commission of Chicago Historical and Architectural Landmarks — Map (db m47758) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Rowe Building
Attributed to famed architect William Le Baron Jenney, the Rowe Building, a printing arts factory built in 1892, typifies the late nineteenth century Romanesque Revival style. Renovated in 1980, the Rowe Building is a distinguished member of the Printers Row family of residential and commercial loft buildings. — Map (db m47780) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Second City50th Anniversary — December 2009
Congratulations to The Second City on Serving up Chicago-style humor in this Old Town neighborhood for 50 years and to all who have helped make The Second City an institution that has been copied but never equaled. Vi Daley, Alderman Chicago’s 43rd Ward — Map (db m47624) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Second Presbyterian ChurchJames Renwick, Architect, 1874 — Rebuilt in 1900 by Howard Van Doren Shaw
When this neo-Gothic church was designed by a prominent New York architect, the surrounding streets, including Prairie Avenue one block east, were lined with the homes of wealthy Chicagoans. The fine interior decorations recall the congregation that built and, after a fire, rebuilt the church. — Map (db m69590) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Senator William J. ConnorsJuly 26, 1891 – June 24, 1961
Supt. of Chicago License Bureau – 1923 Member of the Sanitary District – 1924 Member – Bd. of City Improvements – 1925 Dem. Ward Committeeman 42nd Ward – 1930-1961 State Representative – 1932 to 1934 State Senator – 1934 to 1961 “The Senator” A big man Loyal always to the little guy, Large of heart and spirit, Generous and genuine. Never did he lose sight of who he was whence he came and whose side he was on. . . . — Map (db m47602) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Shelter Building
Serving as a connection between the Terminal Building to the west and the Recreation Building to the east, the Shelter Building was part of the original Pier construction of 1916. As such, it served the tens of thousands of city residents who would flock to the Pier each summer to picnic and to escape the heat of the city. The building was also well named. While its northern and southern exposures were open to the elements, the roof structure provided valuable shelter from the summer sun . . . — Map (db m47850) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Site of Fort Dearborn1803
Chicago Landmark Fort Dearborn served as the major western garrison of the United States until destroyed during an Indian uprising in August of 1812. A second fort, erected on the same site in 1816, was demolished in 1858. Designated a Chicago Landmark on September 15, 1971, by the City Council of Chicago. Richard J. Daley, Mayor — Map (db m47681) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Site of the First Self-sustaining Controlled Nuclear Chain ReactionDecember 2, 1942
Physicist Enrico Fermi and his colleagues established the first self-sustaining controlled nuclear reaction in makeshift laboratories constructed under the grandstands of Stagg Field Stadium on December 2, 1942. The success of this experiment ushered in the atomic age, opening tremendous potential to modern science. — Map (db m69608) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Site of the Haymarket Tragedy
(plaque 1) On the evening of May 4th, 1886, a tragedy of international significance unfolded on this site in Chicago’s Haymarket produce district. An outdoor meeting had been hastily organized by anarchist activists to protest the violent death of workers during a labor lockout the previous day in another area of the city. Spectators gathered in the street as speakers addressed political, social, and labor issues from atop a wagon that stood at the location of this monument. When . . . — Map (db m47728) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Site of the Sauganash Hotel/WigwamChicago Landmark
On this site stood the Sauganash Hotel, built in 1831 by pioneer Mark Beaubien, which was location of the frontier town’s first village board election in 1833. The Wigwam, an assembly hall built in 1860 (destroyed c. 1867) on the site of the hotel, was home to the 1860 Republican Convention which nominated Abraham Lincoln as a candidate for president. Lincoln’s nomination and subsequent election set in motion a series of events that ultimately lead the United States into Civil War and brought . . . — Map (db m47725) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — South Water Street
This was Chicago’s main business street in 1834, connecting the village with Fort Dearborn. Years before this also was the site of a trading post with the Indians. Erected by Chicago’s Charter Jubilee Authenticated by Chicago Historical Society 1937 City of Chicago Incorporated 4th March 1837 — Map (db m47691) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Terminal Building
Still withstanding the test of time, the Terminal Building has hosted numerous receptions, parties and shows since it was constructed in 1916. Originally named the Terminal Building due to its function as a streetcar terminal, the structure also housed restrooms, a first-aid station, restaurant, and rooftop garden. Throughout the years, this building has served a myriad of uses... as a mess hall for sailors who trained at the Pier during World War II, and as a classroom for students attending . . . — Map (db m47848) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — The Eastland Disaster
While still partially tied to its dock at the river’s edge, the excursion steamer Eastland rolled over on the morning of July 24, 1915. The result was one of the worst maritime disasters in American history. More than eight hundred people lost their lives within a few feet of the shore. The Eastland was filled to overflowing with picnic-bound Western Electric Company employees and their families when the tragedy occurred. Investigations following the disaster raised questions . . . — Map (db m61452) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — The 1992 River West Gas Fires
At 4 P.M. on January 17, 1992, a series of explosions and fires ravaged the River West community. The fires were in an area bounded by the Chicago River, the Kennedy Expressway, and Kinzie and Division Streets. The devastation was caused by over-pressurization in the natural gas pipelines leading to homes and businesses. Two-hundred and twenty-five fire fighters responded to the emergency. The disaster resulted in 4 fatalities and 18 buildings destroyed or damaged. Initially the . . . — Map (db m61460) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — 77 — The Blues TrailMississippi to Chicago
[Side A:] The "Great Migration" from the South to "the Promised Land" of Chicago brought more African Americans here from Mississippi than any other state, especially during and after World War II. With the migrants came the Delta blues that was the foundation of the classic postwar Chicago blues style. Muddy Waters, who became the king of Chicago blues, was among the thousands of Mississippians who arrived on Illinois Central trains at Central Station, which stood across the street . . . — Map (db m47901) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — The Chicago Board of Trade's StatuesSymbolizing Agriculture and Industry
These two statues, one symbolizing agriculture and the other industry, once stood over the main entrance of the Board of Trade Building built in 1885. The statues greeted commodity traders and the public for 45 years. Thought lost forever when the building was demolished in 1929 to make way for the exchange’s current Art Deco structure, in 2005 they were graciously returned to their origins through the generosity and good will of the DuPage County Forest Preserve District. Forest Preserve . . . — Map (db m47760) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — The Donohue Building
Built in 1883, the Donohue Building was the first large printing factory in historic Printing House Row. The Annex was added in 1913. The Donohue Buildings served until 1971 as the headquarters of the M.A. Donohue Publishing Company, a well known publisher of classic children’s literature. The building achieved another first in Chicago’s history in 1979, becoming the first of the city’s factory lofts to undergo conversion into a residential condominium. — Map (db m47779) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — The Honorable Joanne H. Alter
Joanne H. Alter was elected Commissioner of the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago, and served with distinction from 1972 until 1990. Commissioner Alter’s vision for improvement in the Chicago River led to the revitalization of the entire river system. She, Commissioner Gloria Alitto Majewski and a Centennial Committee helped organize the District’s Centennial Anniversary Celebration, which included the creation of the Centennial Fountain on the north bank of the Chicago . . . — Map (db m47665) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — The Platt Luggage BuildingFormerly the Ginn & Company Publishers Building — Howard Van Doren Shaw, architect
The Platt Luggage Building, originally located at 2301 South Prairie Avenue, was designed by Howard Van Doren Shaw for the publishing company originally owned by H. H. Forsythe. Howard Van Doren Shaw was one of the region's most successful and popular architects. The Platt Luggage Building is a wonderful example of the masonry craftsmanship prevalent at the turn of the 20th century. The building was designed in the classical Beaux Arts style with many elements of the building following the . . . — Map (db m69593) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — The Standard Time System in the United StatesAdopted on this Site – October 11, 1883
Chicago’s famous Grand Pacific Hotel, then on the site of the present Continental Bank building, was the location of the General Time Convention of 1883 which, on October 11 of that year, adopted the current Standard Time System in the United States. The Convention was called by the nation’s railroads. Delegates were asked to develop a better and more uniform time system to govern railroad operations. Previously, time had been determined by the position of the sun, with high noon as the . . . — Map (db m47759) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Tribune TowerChicago Landmark
Tribune Tower John Mead Howells and Raymond Hood, architects 1925 This design was the result of an international competition for ‘the most beautiful office building in the world,” held in 1922 by the Chicago Tribune. The competition proved extremely influential for the development of skyscraper architecture in the 1920s. The crowning tower, with its flying buttresses, is derived from the design of the French cathedral of Rouen and gives the building a striking silhouette. — Map (db m47666) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Victory, World War I Black Soldiers’ Memorial
Victory St. Mihiel, Argonne Forest, Mont de Signes, Oise-Aisne Offensive. In memory of the heroes of the old 8th Infantry, Illinois National Guard, redesignated during the World War as the 370th Infantry of the United States Army who died in France. [Honor Roll of the Dead. Names of 137 members of the Eighth Infantry, Illinois National Guard, who lost their lives during World War I] — Map (db m4683) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Wacker Drive
South Water Street 183[?] South Water Street 1924 Wacker Drive Begun 1924 Completed 1926 Built by the City of Chicago Wm. E. Dever Mayor Francis X. Busch Corporation Counsel Board of Local Improvement John J. Sloan President Frank X. Rydzewski, V. Pres. • Edw. J. Denemark • Edward J. Glackin, Sec’y • T. Arthur Evans, Chief Engineer • Mitchell C. Robin • Wm. G. Legner • C.D. Hill, Engr. • Arthur Engh, Ass’t Chief Engineer Chicago Plan Commission . . . — Map (db m47696) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Wheeler–Kohn HouseOtis L. Wheelock, architect — 1870
A rare survivor of the stately mansions built on the Near South Side prior to the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, this also ranks as one of the city's best examples of Second Empire architecture. Built by banker Calvin Wheeler, it was remodeled in the mid–1880s by clothier Joseph Kohn, who added the window bay and elaborate front-porch in order to compete with the newer mansions on nearby Prairie Avenue. — Map (db m69591) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Des Plaines — First McDonald's Franchise
Ray A. Kroc, founder of McDonald's Corporation, opened his first McDonald's franchise (the ninth McDonald's drive-in in the U.S.) on this site April 15, 1955 In memory of his wisdom and spirt, McDonald's Corporation dedicates this site to Ray A. Kroc, leader and friend April 15, 1985 — Map (db m78319) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Elk Grove Village — Reverend J. Ward Morrison Boulevard
In Recognition of The Reverend J. Ward Morrison Pastor Emeritus Queen of the Rosary Parish Elk Grove Village, Illinois This Boulevard is named in honor of the Reverend J. Ward Morrison. He devoted much of his time, energies and talents not only to his church but to the benefit of many of the people of Elk Grove Village. He especially demonstrated an affection for children and a concern for those in need. Father Morrison, a priest for over 50 years, was the first Pastor of Queen . . . — Map (db m10672) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Evanston — Archange Ouilmette
Lake Shore Chapter Daughters of the American Colonists marks the S.E. corner of the two sections of land given by the Federal government to Archange Ouilmette, Pottowatomie Indian, in gratitude for her fathers aid in helping with a treaty between the United States and the Pottowatomie, Chippewa, and Ottawa Tribes. This treaty was made at Prairie Du Chien in 1829. “This tract to have and to hold for Archange and children, never to be leased or conveyed unless by permission of the President of the United States.” — Map (db m55578) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Evanston — Grosse Point Light Station
has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1999 National Park Service United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m55579) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Franklin Park — Burial Site of Josette Beaubien
Josette Beaubien, a survivor of the Fort Dearborn Massacre, was buried here in 1845. She was married to Jean Baptiste Beaubien, one of Chicago's first settlers. Her brother was Claude LaFramboise, a chief of the Potawatomi Indians. Chief Alexander Robinson and Claude LaFramboise, local Native-Americans, were rewarded with large tracts of land after the War of 1812. These properties composed much of present-day Franklin Park and Schiller Park. Eventually this site was sold to the Schultz family. . . . — Map (db m55452) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Glenview — Kennicott House
Kennicott House was built in 1856 by John A. Kennicott, a prominent Illinois physician, horticulturist, and educational and agricultural leader. Kennicott moved to the Grove from New Orleans with his family in 1836 shortly after the birth of his son, Robert, in 1835. He devoted much of his time to the study and promotion of horticulture and agriculture, developing the Grove into the first major nursery in northern Illinois. Robert Kennicott developed an interest in nature at an early age, . . . — Map (db m55575) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Glenview — The Grove
has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1976 National Park Service United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m55576) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Schaumburg — Wise RoadDesignated a Historic Roadway
Wise Road is named for the Wiese Family, who once farmed nearly 80 acres of land at the corner of Wise Road and Spring Cove Drive. The road was named "Wiese Road" for many years. It is unknown whether the "e" was dropped accidentally by the Cook County Highway Department, or in the interest of simplification when the street was paved in the mid-1940s. Henry Wiese (November 24, 1845-May 7, 1915) and his wife, Caroline (December 17, 1848-January 15, 1918), raised corn, oats, alfalfa and . . . — Map (db m68495) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Winnetka — The Green Bay Trail
One branch of the Green Bay Trail traversed this region. Originally an Indian trail, after 1816 the route connected Fort Dearborn at Chicago with Fort Howard at Green Bay. Couriers faced hunger, cold and Indians to carry dispatches on a round trip which took a month. — Map (db m66618) HM
103 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 738 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.