Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Covington County Alabama Historical Markers

 
Covington County Veterans Memorial Park Marker (Reverse) image, Click for more information
By Mark Hilton, April 24, 2016
Covington County Veterans Memorial Park Marker (Reverse)
Alabama (Covington County), Andalusa — Covington County Veterans Memorial Park
In 2001 Andalusia Mayor Earl Johnson enlisted Kenneth G. Johnson, a local Marine Corps veteran, to help begin the process of developing a veterans' park and monument to honor U. S. veterans, a project that had long been the dream of thousands . . . — Map (db m94202) WM
Alabama (Covington County), Andalusia — Andalusia City Hall / Three Notch School
Andalusia City Hall Today, the Andalusia City Hall houses city government offices and is a host site for meetings and special events. Modern information, technology, and communications of city government mesh with the original . . . — Map (db m94169) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Andalusia — Bank of Andalusia National Historic Place
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m94197) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Andalusia — Covington County War Memorial
West Covington County Veterans Memorial Park Inscribed hereon are the names of those who made the supreme sacrifice in defense of our nation To those who died, honor and eternal rest To those who . . . — Map (db m94213) WM
Alabama (Covington County), Andalusia — First National Bank Building National Historic Place
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m94200) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Andalusia — History of the Library / Andalusia Post Office becomes Public Library
History of the Library In 1913 the Study Club of Andalusia was organized to establish a library for Andalusia. Led by founder Miss Ethel Darling the club held a book shower resulting in $5.50 and 15 books which became the . . . — Map (db m94201) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Andalusia — Old Courthouse Clock Bell
Old courthouse clock bell from 1897 to 1917 has been donated to Covington County this Bicentennial year 1976 by H. Speller Moates and family. Dedicated to the early settlers of Covington County Erected in honor of the . . . — Map (db m94205) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Andalusia — Purple Heart Memorial Combat Wounded
To Honor Covington County Purple Heart Recipients — Map (db m94900) WM
Alabama (Covington County), Andalusia — Rodney J. Evans
Sergeant, U.S. Army, Company D, 1st Battalion, 12th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division, Tay Ninh Province, Republic of Vietnam, 18 July 1969. For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and . . . — Map (db m99522) HM WM
Alabama (Covington County), Andalusia — Three Notch Road / Hank and Audrey Williams
[Side A:] Three Notch Road Established 1824 The Three Notch Road was a 90-mile section of a 230-mile military road to connect Pensacola with Fort Mitchell in Russell County on the Chattahoochee River. Capt. Daniel E. . . . — Map (db m83456) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Florala — Downtown Square and Veterans Memorial Park
The name Florala came from combining the names of Florida and Alabama. Lake Jackson, located in Florala, is the state's largest natural lake. It is named for Andrew Jackson, who in 1818 camped on the lake with his soldiers while en route to . . . — Map (db m83457) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Florala — Lake Jackson
Andrew Jackson in Seminole War with an army of 1200 camped here in May 1818 enroute westward from Fort Gadsden to subdue marauding Indians abetted by Spaniards at Pensacola. Jackson determined to seize Pensacola . . . — Map (db m99237) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Opp — The Depot / Opp, Alabama
The Depot In 1900, the L&N Railroad won the right to establish the railroad through this area. The town is named for Henry Opp, who represented L&N in successful legal negotiations. The coming of the railroad consolidated the surrounding areas . . . — Map (db m39777) HM
Alabama (Covington County), River Falls — Montezuma
On December 18, 1821, the Alabama General Assembly appointed Covington County commissioners William Carter Jr., James R. Mobley, Aaron Lockhart, Henry Jones, and Abel Polk “to fix and designate a suitable place for a seat of Justice, and to . . . — Map (db m42549) HM
Alabama (Covington County), River Falls — The Horseshoe Lumber Company / River Falls Power Company
(side A) The Horseshoe Lumber Company E.L. More, president of the A&F Division of the L&N Railroad, arrived in River Falls from Nashville in 1897 to spearhead the construction of a branch line of the L&N. Recognizing a business . . . — Map (db m83458) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Sanford — Town of Sanford
Side 1 Sanford first came into being as a community post office which was established on May 19, 1879. Around the turn of the century, Sanford had a period of progress that lasted for several years. The L&N Railroad had come through in . . . — Map (db m94166) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement