|HMdb.org ||THE HISTORICAL|
MARKER DATABASE “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Add A Marker
Links & Books
Word or Phrase
|Crenshaw County Markers
|Alabama (Crenshaw County), Dozier — Sports|
|The area known as Sports was settled by Jonathan Sport and his son, William, who migrated from South Carolina in 1842. Jonathan and William owned 600 acres of land in the area at one time, farming and operating a grist mill. Williamís sons John Solomon, William Garmon, Thomas Benjamin, Malachai, Daniel Webster, and Joseph Nathaniel have descendents living in the 2009.
Originally called “Piney Woods,” Sports first appeared on an official railroad map in 1900. — Map (db m42825) HM|
|Alabama (Crenshaw County), Glenwood — New Providence Primitive Baptist Church Site|
|Constituted in 1833 about 1 mile northwest of this location with 10 charter members. The Church was admitted to the Conecuh River Baptist Association in November 1833. In 1863, the Church moved to this location on land bought from Benjamin Dorman where a building was erected. Services continued until August 1981, when the building was destroyed by arson. — Map (db m72055) HM|
|Alabama (Crenshaw County), Highland Home — Site of Highland Home College|
|A pioneer institution organized in 1889 by Justus M. Barnes, Samuel Jordan and Milton L. Kirkpatrick. This was an extension of Strata Academy, founded in 1856 by Barnes six miles north in Strata. In 1881 Strata Academy was moved to Highland Home and the name changed to Highland Home Institute.
From its inception, the school was coeducational. It brought culture to pioneer Alabama—music, foreign languages, science, literature and drama as well as “The Three Rís.” Although . . . — Map (db m72058) HM|
|Alabama (Crenshaw County), Rutledge — Rutledge|
|Rutledge was the first county seat of Crenshaw County and held that position from March 1867 to May 1893. Originally called Barberís Cross Roads, it was briefly named Crenshaw; but June 10, 1867, it was changed to Rutledge in honor of Captain Henry Rutledge, Company H. 59th Alabama Infantry, C.S.A.
The first elected county officials were: George W. Thagard, Probate Judge; James M. Lawrence, Tax Collector; W.T. Massey, Tax Assessor; John R. Snow, Sheriff; F.M. Cody, Circuit Clerk; and John . . . — Map (db m72053) HM|
|Alabama (Crenshaw County), Rutledge — Rutledge Primitive Baptist Church|
|The Rutledge Primitive Baptist Church was built circa 1890, on land donated by Thomas Warren Shows and his family. The Rutledge Primitive Baptist Church was a member of the Ebenezer Primitive Baptist Association, which was formed in 1837. It was one of the first churches built in Crenshaw County. The church building was donated to the town of Rutledge in 2006 by the remaining membersí families. — Map (db m72054) HM|
2006–2016, Some rights reserved.
— About Us
— Contact Us
in 230 ms.