“Die Deutsche Kolonie Von Nord Alabama” (The German Colony of North Alabama) lies south of Highway 278E and consists of 27 blocks containing 135 buildings representing various types of historic architecture. The District was added to the . . . — Map (db m33837) HM
Here Gen. Forrest (C.S.A.) overtook
Col. Streight’s raiders (U.S.A.)
In hand-to-hand battle after dark 3 horses shot from under Forrest, Union force fled southward with Forrest in . . . — Map (db m33802) HM
The Betz Addition Historic District, also known as “Quality Hill”, lies to the north of Highway 278 East and is named in honor of Cullman’s first mayor, Fred Betz. The district is listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage. . . . — Map (db m33839) HM
This 270 foot bridge was constructed in 1904, destroyed by a flood in 1921 and rebuilt the following year. The only remaining covered bridge in Cullman County, it was restored by the Cullman County Commission in 1975 as an American Revolution . . . — Map (db m33833) HM
Col. John G. Cullmann
July 2, 1823 - December 3, 1895
Thrifty German Colonists led by Col. John G. Cullmann in 1873 settled this thinly populated plateau of Alabama.
This plaque and Restoration Sponsored by Cullman Federated Garden . . . — Map (db m35629) HM
The Louisville and Nashville Railroad Company completed building this Mission Style depot in 1913. When the tracks were laid below ground level, it replaced Cullman's first station located on First Avenue at Third Street, SW.
Passenger service . . . — Map (db m29975) HM
The city of Cullman is the county seat of Cullman County, which had scattered settlers as early as 1823. Called "The Crossroads of the True South," Cullman was founded by Col. Johann Gottfried Cullmann. After fleeing his German homeland and living . . . — Map (db m66397) HM
The first church in the City of Cullman was established on this block of land donated by the North and South Railroad in February 1874. Lots 154, 155, and 181 were granted to Henry Dietz, August Henning, and George Stoback as trustees of the . . . — Map (db m33841) HM
Born Frankwetler, Bavarta, Germany July 2, 1823
Died Cullman, Alabama December 3, 1895
Colonel Cullmann Founded the City of Cullman, Alabama, in 1873.
Later, in 1877, he founded Cullman County. He also established the Alabama Towns of Bangor, . . . — Map (db m83459) HM
Thrifty German colonists, led by Col. John G. Cullman, in 1873 settled this thinly populated plateau.
This section, previously thought unproductive, became famous for its diversified crops. — Map (db m29976) HM
The first church at the town site of Cullman. Founded May 1, 1874, at the beginning of the second year of settlement.
An ethnic German church formed by immigrant families. Services held exclusively in the German language until 1932. In 1937, . . . — Map (db m33840) HM
Preservation of this Weiss Cottage was initiated by the Cullman County Historical Society and implemented by the Cullman County Federation of Women’s Clubs, City of Cullman Bicentennial Commission and the City of Cullman Community Development . . . — Map (db m33836) HM
Pursuit and Union Col. Streight’s defense, from Battle Ground (26 M. - NW) to capture at Lawrence (80 M. - East) - said to be greatest cavalry fight in modern warfare. It passed here May 1, 1863. — Map (db m33801) HM
Early settlers to Cullman County established Shady Grove Methodist Episcopal Church as a brush arbor in the 1870s on land homesteaded and donated by Richard McCain. Trustees, J. J. McKissack, W. H. Martin, J. C. Vickery, J. W. Kilgo, together with . . . — Map (db m34244) HM
Named after a Civil War Battle fought April 30, 1863, between Confederate troops commanded by General Nathan Bedford Forrest and Union troops commanded by Colonel Abel D. Streight. Confederates lost 50 to 75 men killed or wounded. Union lost 30 men. . . . — Map (db m33807) HM