|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Bivalve — Bivalve Oyster Shipping Sheds|
|The Central Railroad of New Jersey built this long complex of 30 sheds in 1904 to process oysters that were harvested from the Delaware Bay. Originally, oysters were shipped in their shells via the railroad. Shucking, or removing oysters from their shells, began in the 1920’s. The railroad knew that they would reap the monetary rewards of building a facility and infrastructure to move oysters efficiently from the water to one’s plate. The sheds housed numerous oyster-related businesses and . . . — Map (db m64333) HM|
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Bivalve — Delaware Bay and River — Port of Call — Bivalve, New Jersey|
|According to Megan Wren, director of the Bayshore Discovery Center, “Bivalve is a gritty, working waterfront (town) that a casual visitor might call ‘lost in time’. Someone who knows the place a little better would probably use words like defiant, independent, inventive, rebellious, stubborn, hard working and hard playing.”
This description might fit any number of small working waterfronts in the Mid-Atlantic region. But it especially fits this Delaware Bay community that is just . . . — Map (db m64381) HM|
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Bivalve — Ecology in the Watershed — Maurice River Watershed|
|The Maurice River watershed (pronounced Morris) is an area of 386 square miles that includes part of the Pinelands National Reserve, other pine, cedar and maple woodlands and agricultural lands, as well as, urban and suburban properties. The river stretches through 50 miles of Cumberland County on its way to the Delaware Bay and includes five major tributaries and about 20 lakes. Below Union Lake in Millville, the river is tidal, winding through a series of salt marshes and historic riverside . . . — Map (db m64497) HM|
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Bivalve — Maurice River|
|The Maurice River and its tributaries to the Delaware Bay have played a significant role in Southern New Jersey’s cultural landscape and shaped its diverse people—generation after generation.
Its resources, particularly fish and shellfish, were first embraced by the Native American cultures. It fact, middens (dumps) filled with oyster shells are how archaeologists determine where and how the Lenni Lenape lived. Oysters and claims were important food sources and their shells served as . . . — Map (db m64337) HM|
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Bivalve — Steps to Harvest Oysters and Bring to Market — Marker #1|
|1. Oystermen harvested oysters from the Maurice River Cove by a dredge or tongs.
2. Oysters were off-loaded from schooners into floats along the banks of the Maurice River where they were left to fatten and to remove impurities.
3. Oysters were forked from the float into scows.
4. Scows were moved under the covered wharves at the Shipping Sheds.
Shell Trade: Planting and Harvesting The public’s appetite for oysters was the driving force to harvest the oyster. Beginning in the . . . — Map (db m64392) HM|
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Bivalve — Steps to Harvest Oysters and Bring to Market — Marker #2|
| 5. Oysters were counted into bushel baskets.
6. Bushels were consolidated into sacks or barrels.
7. Sacks or barrels were wheeled on hand trucks through the alley way and were loaded into the awaiting boxcars.
Shucking The practice of floating oysters (step #2) was banned around 1927 after an outbreak of typhoid fever was blamed on the Delaware Bay oysters. Later the true source of the epidemic was identifies as milk from Chicago, but by then the practice of shucking (removing . . . — Map (db m64393) HM|
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Bivalve — The Schooner AJ Meerwald|
|The Schooner AJ MEERWALD is on the National and New Jersey Registers of Historic Places and is representative of an important vessel type, the “new style” Jersey oyster schooner. The “old style” schooner had a clipper bow rather than a spoon bow, and was much smaller with a more complex rig.
The Schooner AJ MEERWALD worked under sail while pulling a dredge to scrape oysters from the floor of the Delaware Bay. Her crews culled or sorted the oysters and piled the decks . . . — Map (db m64340) HM|
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Bridgeton — Baptist Log Meeting House — 1690 1787|
|Site of Baptist Log Meeting House and Burial Ground settled by The Bowen Company and their leader Rev. Timothy Brooks. United with Cohansey Baptist Church in 1710. Seventh Day Baptists in this company established the Shiloh Church 1737. — Map (db m92322) HM|
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Bridgeton — New Jersey Coastal Heritage Trail Route — Information|
|The New Jersey Coastal Heritage Trail Route is a “park in the making”—an idea becoming a reality. Many of its sites are available for you to visit. When complete, the Trail will link numerous natural and cultural landmarks into a story of coastal life and peoples, from the ancient past to the present.
Let your interests guide you as you browse among different kinds of destinations that interpret these five themes of the coastal heritage story.
Maritime History . . . — Map (db m64491) HM|
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Bridgeton — Old Broad Street Presbyterain Church|
|Old Broad Street Presbyterian Church was constructed in the meeting house form, rectangular in plan, with the pulpit placed on the north gable end wall and a U-shaped balcony on the other sides. The north elevation, facing Broad Street, is the primary façade, although it has no door opening. Rather this three-bay gable-end elevation is distinguished by Flemish bond brickwork and a large Palladian window. The interior features colonial pew boxes facing a central raised pulpit, Federal period . . . — Map (db m64508) HM|
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Greenwich — Gibbon House|
|Built in 1730 by Nicholas Gibbon, maritime merchant whose ships carried most of the colonial trade of this port. — Map (db m92308) HM|
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Greenwich — Greenwich Tea Burning Monument|
In honor of the Patriots of Cumberland Co., NJ who—on the evening of December 22, 1774—burned British tea near this site.
List of Patriots on Marker:
Philip V. Fithian
James B. Hunt
Andrew Hunter, Jr.
Joel Miller — Map (db m17692) HM|
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Greenwich — Hot Tea — Greenwich Tea Burning Monument — Maritime History|
|In the winter of 1774, the American colonies were struggling to define their future relationship with Great Britain. The British tax on tea had sparked the 1773 Boston Tea Party. The harsh response, to close the port of Boston, lead to the First Continental Congress meeting in Philadelphia. Congress’s non-importation, non-exportation agreement asked colonists not to buy or sell goods from the mother country as a way of putting economic pressure on England. Not far from this spot, in the dark of . . . — Map (db m17730) HM|
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Greenwich — Little Stone School|
|Endowed as free school for poor children by Zachariah Barrow. Oldest educational building in Cumberland Co., it served until the advent of public supported learning. Militia trained here-1812. — Map (db m92313) HM|
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Greenwich — Old Stone Tavern|
|Built 1728 by Jacob Ware. "The oldest tavern in the County where one could obtain bedde and board for man and beast." — Map (db m92309) HM|
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Greenwich — Welcome to Greenwich Township|
|Greenwich was the principal colonial settlement of Cumberland County, serving as one of New Jersey’s first official ports-of-entry under British rule. While other early settlers, primarily Dutch and Swedish, were the first Europeans to explore this region, it was English settlers that determined the primary character of Greenwich and the role it would play in the creation of a new nation.|
Greenwich was founded by John Fenwick in 1675 and Ye Greate Street was laid out by 1684. For thousands . . . — Map (db m92316) HM
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Greenwich — Wood House|
|Built in 1795 by Richard Wood, merchant. A son. Dr. George B. Wood (d.1879), became a noted medical professor and writer. — Map (db m92312) HM|
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Heislerville — A Guiding Light — Aids to Navigation — Maritime History|
| The East Point Lighthouse guards the eastern shore of the Maurice River Cove. This lone sentinel once provided hundreds of Delaware Bay oyster schooners with a guiding light to the ports at Port Norris and Port Elizabeth. Constructed in 1849, it is the second oldest lighthouse still standing in New Jersey – only the Sandy Hook lighthouse on the North Jersey shore is older. After nearly a century of service for commercial oyster fishing operations, East Point was deactivated in 1941. . . . — Map (db m68280) HM|
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Heislerville — All Shapes, Sizes and Materials — Aids to Navigation — Maritime History|
|Primary seacoast lights were located to warn mariners of their proximity to land, the presence of navigational dangers, and to help set their course. By 1852, however, lighthouses and lightships often looked so much alike that it was difficult to distinguish one from another. Today, each lighthouse has a “characteristic” or coded sequence of light flashes making it possible for the mariner to identify the light and its location along the coast. For example, Barnegat Light’s . . . — Map (db m68281) HM|
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Heislerville — East Point Lighthouse — Under Renovation by Maurice River Historical Society|
| The East Point Lighthouse was built in 1849 to guide boatmen into the mouth of the Maurice River, about one half mile to the north. The lantern sits atop the two story brick building, 48 feet above sea level, and is visible for about 7 miles. The lantern was originally lighted by a lamp that burned whale oil until kerosene became available. The fuel was stored in the oil house, which is the small brick building on your right. It was carried up the stairs to the lantern room by . . . — Map (db m68285) HM|
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Mauricetown — A River to Enjoy and Protect — Maurice River|
|Congress passed the National Wild and Scenic Rivers Act in 1968 to protect selected free-flowing rivers with outstanding natural, cultural and recreational values. The Act promotes conservation and good stewardship of these streams and their environs for all to enjoy. The Maurice is one of only a few Atlantic Coast rivers that meets the Act’s stringent requirements. In December 1993, thirty-five miles of the Maurice River, Menantico Creek, Manumuskin River and Muskee Creek were officially added . . . — Map (db m64430) HM|
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Millville — A-4F Skyhawk — Millville Army Air Field Museum|
|The Millville Army Air Field Museum’ Skyhawk was assigned to Attack Squadron 192 (VA-192) aboard the aircraft carrier USS Oriskany (CVA-34) on April 2, 1968 to commence its first Vietnam War combat tour. From May 19 to June 27, 1971 VA-192 operated from Naval Air Station Lemoore, CA for flight training. On June 28, 1971, it was transferred to VA-55 and went aboard the USS Hancock’s (CVA-19) for combat operations in Southeast Asia. On the USS Hancock’s return to the United States, on May 7, . . . — Map (db m64472) HM WM|
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Millville — Slipping Away — Manumuskin River Preserve — Biological Diversity-Wild Life Migration|
|Almost unnoticed, the earth’s living wealth is slipping away. As the human population expands and intensifies the use of the land, species of all kinds are disappearing. Each time we lose a species to extinction, we not only lose its aesthetic values, but also its critical role in the ecosystem and its untold potential for medical and scientific research.
Habitat destruction is the main course of extinction today. Migratory species require suitable habitat at their summer breeding sites, their . . . — Map (db m64464) HM|
|New Jersey (Cumberland County), Vineland — Oak Hill Cemetery G.A.R. Monument|
|In memory of
our heroic dead
erected - 1912 — Map (db m47048) HM|