HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Cumberland County Markers
Virginia (Cumberland County), Cartersville — ON 5 — Campaign of 1781
Early in June 1781, Maj. Gen. Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben saved some military stores at Point of Fork from British troops and then retreated south to Staunton River before being called to join Lafayette's forces. On 16 June Steuben crossed to the north bank of the James River at Carter's Ferry, and joined Lafayette in Hanover County three days later. Lafayette and the colonial forces continued to follow the British as they moved east, but Steuben soon took leave of the army because of illness. — Map (db m18357) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Cartersville — ON 7 — Campaign of 1781
Two miles north, near the mouth of Willis River, Steuben camped, June 5-6, 1781, when driven from Point of Fork by Simcoe. — Map (db m21123) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Cartersville — JE 36 — Clifton
One mile north; home of Carter Henry Harrison, land patented, 1723. Harrison, as a member of the Cumberland Committee of Safety, wrote the instructions for independence (adopted April 22) presented by the county delegates to the Virginia convention of May, 1776. Apparently this was the first of such declarations publicly approved. The convention declared for independence. — Map (db m21117) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Cartersville — 6 — Hamilton High SchoolCartersville, Virginia — Cumberland County
Parents in the Cartersville area of Cumberland County met in 1909 to discuss the need for a centralized high school to replace the one-room schools serving white children in the area at that time. The county Superintendent of Schools led the community in drives to raise funds for the new school, and S. W. Parker gave five acres of land on which to build it. By 1910 the new Hamilton High School opened, with 112 students enrolled. Seven instructors taught basic courses, with a teacher . . . — Map (db m31609) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Cartersville — JE 35 — Lee's Stopping Place
Here at Flannagan's (Trice's) Mill, Robert E. Lee spent the night of April 13-14, 1865, on his journey from Appomattox to Richmond. — Map (db m21101) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Cartersville — 7 — Rosenwald School at CartersvilleCartersville, Virginia — Cumberland County
Julius Rosenwald, a former president of Sears, Roebuck & Co., continued the efforts made by numerous philanthropists to bring education to African Americans in the South. During the early 1900s, funding for schools was scarce; the South had half as much per capita wealth as the rest of the country, and a third more children. Added to this was the expense of providing a dual system of education. In 1912 Rosenwald, who had donated heavily to the Tuskegee Institute in Alabama, authorized Dr. . . . — Map (db m21159) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Cumberland — O 44 — Campaign of 1781
Steuben, both on his retreat from Simcoe and on his return north to join Lafayette, passed near here, June, 1781. — Map (db m21120) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Cumberland — Z 197 — Cumberland County / Powhatan County
(Obverse) Cumberland County Area 293 square miles Formed in 1748 from Goochland, and named for the Duke of Cumberland, second son of King George II. The earliest call for independence came from this county, April 22, 1776. (Reverse) Powhatan County Area 273 square miles Formed in 1777 from Cumberland and Chesterfield and named for Powhatan, the noted Indian ruler. Many Huguenots settled in this county, 1699-1700. Here Robert E. Lee spent the summer of 1865. — Map (db m21127) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Cumberland — O 49 — Cumberland County Court House
In 1749 the Virginia House of Burgesses divided Goochland County to establish Cumberland County. William A. Howard, an associate of Thomas Jefferson's master builder, Dabney Cosby, built the present Cumberland County courthouse (1818-1821). The unusual temple-form, Jeffersonian-Classical building has a finely executed Tuscan portico on the long side instead of the end and stands only one story high. Howard also designed the diminutive brick clerk's office to the east that was completed in 1821. . . . — Map (db m21121) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Cumberland — First Call For Independence
Near this place from the porch of Effingham Tavern on 22 April 1776, Carter Henry Harrison, a member of the Cumberland Committee for Safety, read the Resolutions of Cumberland County to citizens gathered there. These resolutions called for the Colonies to “abjure any allegiance to his Brittanick majesty and bid him a goodnight forever.” The freeholders approved these resolutions, and Harrison was instructed “positively to declare for an independency” at the Virginia . . . — Map (db m67315) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Cumberland — 8 — Jackson DavisCumberland Court House, Virginia — Cumberland County
Jackson Davis, an educational reformer and amateur photographer, was born in Cumberland County, VA, to William Anderson and Sally Wyatt (Guy) Davis on September 25, 1882. He attended the public schools of Richmond, VA, and received his B.A. from the College of William and Mary in 1902 and his M.A. from Columbia University in 1908. Throughout his career Davis specialized in Southern education, interracial problems, and education in Belgian Congo and Liberia. From 1915 to 1946 his work . . . — Map (db m21150) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Farmville — MJ 1 — Bizarre
Near here is the site of Bizarre, owned in 1742 by Richard Randolph of Curles. In 1781, his grandson, John Randolph of Roanoke, took refuge at Bizarre with his mother on account of Arnold's invasion. John Randolph lived here until 1810, when he moved to Roanoke in Charlotte County. — Map (db m30204) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Farmville — Cumberland ChurchLee’s Retreat — April 7, 1865
Union troops arrived here after crossing the Appomattox River at High Bridge and found Lee’s army entrenched around the church. After a series of Union attacks, Lee was forced to delay his movement until nightfall when he began marching towards Appomattox. Next Stop High Bridge 4.8 miles — Map (db m11837) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Farmville — Cumberland ChurchUnion Closes In — Lee’s Retreat
Here at Cumberland Church, in the afternoon of April 7, 1865, part of the Army of Northern Virginia entrenched to protect the route west to Appomattox Station, where supplies awaited the men. The Confederate line, across the road behind you, stretched a third of a mile to the north, where it then curled around to the west. After repulsing several Union assaults, the Confederates also turned back an attack on their left flank, where Gen. William Mahone held the line. The Federals dug in as . . . — Map (db m11839) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Farmville — Z 55 — Cumberland County / Prince Edward County
(South Side):Cumberland County Area 293 square milesFormed in 1748 from Goochland, and named for the Duke of Cumberland, second son of King George II. The earliest call for independence came from this county, April 22, 1776. (North Side):Prince Edward County Area 356 square milesFormed in 1753 from Amelia, and named for Prince Edward, Prince of Wales, younger brother of King George III. General Joseph E. Johnston was born in this county; Hampden-Sidney College is in it. — Map (db m30212) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Farmville — O 52 — Engagement at Cumberland Presbyterian Church7 April 1865
After successfully crossing the Appomattox River at nearby High Bridge, Maj. Gen. Andrew A. Humphreys’ II Corps attacked Confederate forces under Maj. Gen. William Mahone that were entrenched on the high ground around Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Protecting Lee’s flank and wagons, Mahone held off two Union assaults until darkness allowed him to withdraw from the battlefield. Near the church, Mahone’s headquarters, Lee received the first message from Grant suggesting the surrender of the Army . . . — Map (db m11861) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Farmville — High BridgeCritical Span — Lee's Retreat
From here you can see the 1914 steel railroad bridge that spans the Appomattox River above the brick piers of the antebellum High Bridge, which carried the South Side Railroad. The old wooden bridge and the wagon bridge, just to the east of it, were the scene of two desperate engagements in April 1865. The first occurred on April 6, when Confederate cavalry prevented a mixed detachment of Union infantry and cavalry from capturing and burning the bridges to block the Confederate retreat. The . . . — Map (db m29934) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Farmville — High Bridge Trail State Park
The "High" Bridge "There have been higher bridges not so long and longer bridges not so high, but taking the height and length together, this is, perhaps, the largest bridge in the world." C.O. Sanford, South Side Railroad's chief engineer, 1852 In 1854 the South Side Railroad was completed from Petersburg to Lynchburg. To cross the Appomattox River east of Farmville, High Bridge was constructed. The bridge, 2,400 feet in length and ranging from 60 to 125 feet in height, was built on 21 brick . . . — Map (db m29915) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Farmville — O 55 — James F. Lipscomb
James F. Lipscomb was born a free black on 4 December 1830 in Cumberland County. He worked first as a farm laborer, then as a carriage driver in Richmond. In 1867 he returned to Cumberland County, where he accumulated more than 500 acres of land. Lipscomb served in the House of Delegates between 1869 and 1877, one of 87 African-Americans elected to the General Assembly in the late 19th century. In 1871 he opened a general store in his home, part of which stands nearby, and operated it until his . . . — Map (db m30244) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Farmville — MJ 2 — Needham Law School
Just east of here is Needham, location of Virginia's first proprietary law school and home of founder Judge Creed Taylor (1766 - 1836), politician, jurist, and legal educator. Taylor's law school at Needham, which opened in 1821 and closed by 1840, was Virginia's second law school and among the earliest in the United States. He trained more than 300 men for the law, including President John Tyler, Jr., several congressmen, and other prominent officials. Taylor was one of the first to use the . . . — Map (db m30239) HM
20 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 227 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.