Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Dale County Alabama Historical Markers

 
Founders and Early Pastors Marker image, Click for more information
By David J Gaines, January 26, 2014
Founders and Early Pastors Marker
Alabama (Dale County), Arguta Community — Union Presbyterian Church/Founders and Early Pastors
(side 1) Union Presbyterian Church Organized by John Warnock, East Alabama Presbytery, September 1843, its mother church being Pea River Presbyterian (Barbour County). Founders, who migrated from Scotland to Argura, North . . . — Map (db m71588) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Ariton — Veterans Memorial Bridge - 1921 / Grist Mill - Indian Battle - Recreation
(Front):Veterans Memorial Bridge - 1921This reinforced concrete river bridge, thought to be the first in Alabama. Was erected over Pea River in 1920-21 at a cost of $92,108.97. It was dedicated on August 3, 1921 as a memorial to the 57 men . . . — Map (db m36511) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Clayhatchee — Providence Baptist Church
Organized May 26, 1849 First Pastor: Ruben E. Brown First Deacons: William P. Bryan, Jonas P. Bell Charter Members: William Green, David Kelly, Kader Powell, Elizabeth Kelly, Ardilla Green, Winny Lacy, Bill Fowler, nancy Fowler Bellwood, Cool . . . — Map (db m39124) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Daleville — 1840's Split Log Cabin
Side 1 Double-pen split log cabin built in 1840's by early settlers who fled disease carrying mosquitoes along Claybank Creek, the first permanent location in this area. This house was the gathering place for many families. The logs tell . . . — Map (db m74202) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Daleville — Daleville, Alabama
Daleville, originally called Dale, was the county seat of Dale County from 1831-1841. William Harper was probate judge of Dale County, which was originally included in present-day Coffee County until 1841, present-day Geneva County until 1868, and . . . — Map (db m41145) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Level Plains — Town of Level Plains
Side 1 At the request of community residents James A. Waters Sr., Jesse C. Thomas and William C. Grantham, the Town of Level Plains, population 133, was granted incorporation by the Honorable S. Kirke Adams, Dale County Judge of Probate, . . . — Map (db m74187) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Midland City — Richmond - First County Seat Henry County / Richmond - First County Seat Dale County
Richmond - First County Seat Henry County Henry County was created December 13, 1819; David Caldwell first Probate Judge, held court in homes of early settlers. Richmond was selected in 1822 for first county seat. Creation of Dale . . . — Map (db m71585) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Midland City — The Block House/River Port - Fort - Ferry
(Front): The Block House 1814 The first public structure in what later became Dale County was erected one mile east of this marker at the confluence of the East and West Choctawhatchee Rivers. Called the Block House, it was built of . . . — Map (db m64863) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Newton — Baptist Collegiate Institute Newton, Alabama
Organized in 1898 under the Christian leadership of A. W. Tate and Newton Baptist Church. The property was later given to the Baptists of southeast Alabama, adopted by nine Baptist Associations. In 1907 Baptist State Convention agreed to accept . . . — Map (db m79000) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Newton — Newton Town on the Hill 1834 / Third County Seat of Dale County
Newton Town on the Hill - 1843 Newton was hub of Dale County activities from 1843 until 1870. During War Between the States (1861-1865), Newton was center of recruiting, including the Home Guards. In March 1865, local militia repulsed . . . — Map (db m71586) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Ozark — Confederate Memorial
North Face Confederate Dead West Face In memory of the Dale County Confederate soldiers, who fought in the War Between the States from 1861 to '65. South Face These were men who, by the simple manhood of their lives, by their . . . — Map (db m36564) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Ozark — Dale Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of those Dale County veterans who died in defense of our country World War I Obie A. Alpin Sam E. Andrews Marlin R. Arnett Robert Arrington Lester Avant Ivey Y. Beasley Jere Brown Mose Canter Glen . . . — Map (db m36561) WM
Alabama (Dale County), Ozark — Dowling - Steagall House
Constructed in c. 1900 by G. P. Dowling, the Dowling-Steagall House is a Classical Revival dwelling featuring a full-height portico with Ionic columns and an elaborate door surround. A judge and prominent businessman, G. P. Dowling organized Ozark's . . . — Map (db m36510) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Ozark — Early Ozark/Ozark's Role in the Origin of Fort Rucker
(Front): Early Ozark From 1824, when Dale County was created by an act of the Alabama Legislature, until 1870, the area now comprising the “City of Ozark” was gradually settled mostly by farmers who came and bought the . . . — Map (db m65250) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Ozark — Historic Bell
Erected on this site by the Dale County Commission, this bell is made of brass and hung in the clock tower of the courthouse from its completion in 1902 until it was torn down in 1968. The bell was made in 1902 by McShane Bell Foundry Company of . . . — Map (db m36565) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Ozark — Merrick's - Woodshop - Ozark / Ozark
Side A In the 1820's pioneers, including John Merrick, began settling in vicinity of present-day Ozark, first called "Merrick's". Dale County formed December 22, 1824. In the 1830's wooden stores and cotton gin were built about one mile north . . . — Map (db m36509) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Skipperville — Peniel Baptist Church 1852 - 2004
(side 1) Listed below are the known pastors of Peniel Baptist Church since its establishment about 1852. Middleton Brooks, S. Hargrove, W. A. Cumbie, Ransom C. Deal, Sr., R. Cass Deal, R. B. Arnold, J. W. Phillips, F. M. Shirah, M. A. . . . — Map (db m71587) HM

17 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement