|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-51 — “Yankee Hill”|
|[Front]: In the summer of 1865, just after the end of the Civil War, Federal troops began their occupation of many cities and towns in S.C. Units in Darlington in 1865-1866 included the 15th Maine Infantry, 29th Maine Veteran Volunteers. They camped on the grounds of the nearby St. John's Academy and used it as a hospital.
[Back]: Four Federal privates (Patrick Gately and Ira Newhall of the 15th Maine and George Kinney and John Maloney of the 29th Maine) who died of disease . . . — Map (db m13570) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-50 — Andrew Hunter|
| Side A Andrew Hunter (d. 1823), planter, state representative, and county official, is buried in the Hunter family cemetery about 400 ft. south. During the American Revolution he ran a grist mill several miles south on High Hill Creek, supplying meal and corn to the Patriots in the Southern Department. He also served as a scout in the state militia under Gen. Francis Marion.
Side B In 1782 Hunter, scouting in N.C., was captured by Col. David Fanning, a prominent Loyalist. . . . — Map (db m38109) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-12 — Attempted Ambush|
|On March 5, 1865, near the point where the Ebenezer Road crossed the Cheraw and Darlington Railroad, the 29th Missouri Mounted Infantry of Col. Reuben Williams's command, deployed on either side of the tracks to capture a Confederate train approaching from Florence. The attempt failed when the engineer, discovering the trap, reversed his engine and escaped. — Map (db m38094) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-22 — Darlington County / Darlington County Courthouse|
| Darlington County This area become part of St. David's Parish in 1768, Cheraws District in 1769, and then Darlington County on March 12, 1785. In 1800 Darlington became a circuit court district, and again a county in 1868. Extensive territory was lost in 1888 and 1902 with the creation of new counties.
Darlington County Courthouse The first courthouse at this site was destroyed by fire March 19, 1806. A later building, thought to have been designed by architect Robert Mills, . . . — Map (db m38101) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — Darlington County Confederate Monument|
|(North Side): On fame's eternal camping ground their silent tents are spread; and glory guards, with solemn round, the bivouac of the dead.
(East Side): They never fail who Die in a great cause. While the tree of freedom's wither'd trunk puts forth a leaf, even for thy tomb a garland let it be.
(West Side): Conquered they can never be Whose spirits and Whose souls are free.
(South Side): To perpetuate a grateful remembrance of the brave men of . . . — Map (db m46220) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-60 — Darlington County Jail|
| Side A This building, a New Deal project of Franklin D. Rooseveltís Public Works Administration (PWA), was built in 1937 at a cost of $60,000. Called “one of the most modern jails in the South,” it was designed by Rock Hill architect Alfred D. Gilchrist (d. 1944). Its second floor featured separate cell blocks for black and white males and separate cells for black and white females.
Side B The office, kitchen, and jailerís quarters were on the first floor; . . . — Map (db m38116) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-7 — Darlington District Agricultural Society / The Mineral Spring|
| Darlington District Agricultural Society On May 5, 1846, a society was organized for "mutual improvement in agriculture and to promote the planting interest of the country." Most of the annual meetings since that time have been held at this spring. The first officers were W. E. James, Rev. J. M. Timmons, Isaac W. Wilson, Robert Rogers, and Rev. Robert Campbell.
The Mineral Spring On July 17, 1819, this spring and the surrounding lands were purchased from Henry King by the . . . — Map (db m38092) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-54 — Darlington Memorial Cemetery|
| Side A This cemetery, established in 1890, was originally a five-acre tract when it was laid out as the cemetery for the nearby Macedonia Baptist Church. The first African American cemetery in Darlington, it includes about 1,900 graves dating from the late 19th century to the present. In 1946 Bethel A.M.E. Church and St. James Methodist Church, both nearby, established their own cemeteries here as well.
Side B Among the prominent persons buried here are Rev. Isaac . . . — Map (db m38111) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-49 — Darlington Memorial Center|
|This house was built in 1889 by Charles McCullough (1853-1908), who served as town councilman and later as mayor. It was for many years a recreation center for local youth. The Darlington Memorial Center, chartered in 1946 as a memorial to Darlington men who died in World War II, was funded primarily by area civic clubs. It was acquired by the city of Darlington in 1950. — Map (db m38108) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-37 — Darlington Raceway|
|Marker Front: Darlington Raceway, the first superspeedway in NASCAR history, was constructed in 1950 by Harold Brasington, a local race promoter who saw an asphalt-paved track as an advance over the standard dirt tracks and wanted a 500-mile stock car race to rival the Indianapolis 500. On September 4, 1950 the new mile-and-a quarter raceway hosted the first Southern 500, a 400-lap race in which 75 cars raced at top speeds of 80 m.p.h.
Marker Reverse: The egg-shaped track at . . . — Map (db m30634) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-18 — Edmund H. Deas|
|After moving to Darlington County in the 1870s, Edmund H. Deas served as county chairman of the Republican Party for a number of years and was a delegate to four national conventions. A black candidate for Congress in 1884 and 1890, Deas was Deputy Collector of Internal Revenue in S. C., 1889-94 and 1897-1901. This house was his residence at his death in 1915. — Map (db m38097) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-38 — First Baptist Church|
| Side A Established in 1831 as Darlington Baptist Church of Christ, with Rev. W.Q. Beattie as its first minister; joined the Welsh Neck Association in 1832. The first sanctuary, built in 1830 just before the church was formally organized, was replaced in 1859 by a second building. During the Civil War the church offered its bell to be melted down to cast cannon for the Confederacy.
Side B This church, which has licensed or ordained 14 clergymen since 1831, was renamed First . . . — Map (db m38102) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-6 — George W. Dargan ó 1802 - 1859|
|Near this site stood the home of George W. Dargan, ante-bellum leader of this area, who served as State Senator, 1842-1847 and Chancellor of the S.C. Court of Equity, 1847-1859. He was a trustee of the S.C. College and a member of the Southern Rights Convention of 1852. The mansion burned down on May 14, 1898. — Map (db m38090) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-59 — Grove Hill Cemetery|
|Grove Hill Cemetery, the first public cemetery in Darlington, was chartered in 1889. Citizens founded it “on account of the health of our town but also on account of the great scarcity of space in the church cemeteries.” The original 26-acre tract on Swift Creek was later expanded, doubling the burial space. In 1896 a half-acre tract was designated as “Darlington Hebrew Cemetery.” — Map (db m47812) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-43 — Henry "Dad" Brown|
|[Front] Henry "Dad" Brown (1830-1907), a black veteran of the Mexican, Civil, and Spanish-American Wars, is buried 75' N with his wife Laura. Variously said to have been born free or born as a slave who purchased his and Laura's freedom, he was born near Camden. Brown, a brickmason, joined the Confederate army in May 1861 as a drummer in the "Darlington Grays," Co. F, 8th S.C. Infantry.
[Reverse] Brown enlisted as a drummer in Co. H, 21st S.C. Infantry in July 1861 and . . . — Map (db m38106) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-52 — Julius A. Dargan House|
| Side A This house was built in 1856 for Julius A. Dargan (1815-1861). Built on land acquired from Jesse H. Lide in 1839, the house is a fine example of the Greek Revival style. Dargan briefly taught school and practiced law with his brother G.W. Dargan for many years; he was also a state representative 1850-52, delegate to the Secession Convention, and signer of the Ordinance of Secession.
Side B After Darganís death in 1861 the house passed to several owners, most notably . . . — Map (db m38110) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-45 — Lawrence Reese|
|Marker Front: West Broad Street features several late-19th to early-20th century residences designed and built by Lawrence Reese (1865-1915), a native of Marlboro County who came to Darlington as a merchant by 1887. Reese, who had no formal training in architecture, was a self-taught master craftsman and designer. The Belk Funeral Home, at 229 West Broad, was built ca. 1900 as a residence for Abraham Hyman and was Reese's own favorite of the several houses he designed here.
Marker . . . — Map (db m38174) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-15 — Macedonia Church|
| Side A Tradition says first meetings of this Baptist Church were held in the home of Laura Brown. A house of worship was constructed on the N.E. corner of present S. Main and Hampton streets on land purchased during 1866-1874. The present site was acquired in 1922 and the building occupied Feb. 3, 1935.
Side B This Baptist Church was constituted when a group of black members led by Rev. Isaac Brockenton withdrew from the Darlington Baptist Church on Feb. 11, 1866. . . . — Map (db m38095) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-61 — Mount Pleasant Baptist Church / Lowther's Hill Cemetery|
|Marker Front: Mount Pleasant Baptist Church Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, organized by 1785, first met in a nearby school. It built a sanctuary here in 1791; that year Cashaway Baptist Church merged with it. In 1818 the congregation moved about 2 mi. S to Mechanicsville, built a new sanctuary there, and was renamed Mechanicsville Baptist Church.
Marker Reverse: Lowther's Hill Cemetery This cemetery was established ca. 1789, after Mount Pleasant Baptist Church . . . — Map (db m38120) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-11 — Samuel Bacot 1745-1795|
|Early land records indicate that Samuel Bacot settled in the back country of S.C. about 1770. He served in the State Militia during the Revolution, was taken prisoner by the British in 1780, but with his companions made his escape, avoiding confinement in a Charles Town prison. His grave is one half mile northeast. — Map (db m38093) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — Site of First Methodist Church|
|The First Methodist Church was built in 1831 on land donated by Moses Sanders in 1830. This was five years before Darlington was chartered. It was a plain barn like building, not plastered or ceiled. A great revival was held in the church was held in the church in late fall 1831. Three Methodist Ministers are buried in the cemetery. In 1834 a second larger church was built by J. W. Burn on corner of St John and Park Streets. — Map (db m60606) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-16 — St. James Church|
| Side A This United Methodist Church was originally named Pearl Street Methodist Episcopal Church. The first trustees were Henry Brown, Abner Black, Wesley Dargan, Zeddidiah Dargan, January Felder, Randolph Hart and Rev. B. Frank Whittemore. Tradition says Federal occupation troops supplied the church bell, which they had taken from nearby St. John's Academy.
Side B In 1866, this United Methodist Church was founded by freedmen with aid from the Methodist Episcopal Church . . . — Map (db m38096) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-48 — Wilds-Edwards House / Samuel Hugh Wilds|
|[Front] This Italianate house, designed by J.L. Clickner, was built 1856-57 for planter Samuel H. Wilds (1819-1867). According to tradition Clickner returned in early 1865 as a Union soldier and persuaded his superiors not to burn the house during a raid in the area. In 1870 attorney B.W. Edwards (1824-1890), later a state senator, acquired the house; it remained in the family until 1999.
[Reverse] Samuel H. Wilds was a member of the Darlington Agricultural Society, a . . . — Map (db m38107) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-19 — Wilson Crossroads / Dr. Peter A. Wilson|
| Wilson Crossroads At this point the Camden-Mars Bluff road intersected the road to Darlington on property granted to the Reverend John Wilson (1790-1869) by the state of South Carolina in 1837. Wilson, a North Carolinian, settled here, and after his death his grandson, Dr. Peter A. Wilson, lived on a portion of the land and practiced medicine.
Dr. Peter A. Wilson Peter Wilson (1846-1913) was born in Darlington County and served in the Confederate Army. He graduated from . . . — Map (db m38099) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Dovesville — 16 ~ 64 — Mt. Zion Baptist Church|
|Front This church, founded in 1869, was organized by 36 black members of nearby Black Creek Baptist Church, who received letters of dismissal to form their own congregation. Rev. William Hart, its first minister, served until his death in 1872. He was succeeded by his son, Rev. Alfred Hart, who served here 1872 ~ 79, after representing Darlington County in the S.C. House 1870 ~ 72.
Reverse The church held its first services in a brush arbor on this site, which its trustees . . . — Map (db m60602) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-35 — Butler School|
|Butler School, located on this site since 1921, was the second public school to serve Hartsville's black community and operated for over sixty years. Known as the Darlington Co. Training School until 1939, it was renamed for Rev. Henry H. Butler, its principal 1909-1946. The first building on this site burned in 1961; extant buildings date from 1936 to the mid-1960s. Butler School was a junior high and high school when it closed in 1982. — Map (db m38137) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-29 — Carolina Fiber Co. / Sonoco Products Company|
|Carolina Fiber Co. One of the first methods for producing paper from native pine wood pulp was developed by J. L. Coker, Jr. As a result, he with Maj. J. L. Coker and C. J. Woodruff formed the Carolina Fiber company, March 20, 1890, to manufacture and market wood pulp and paper. Their mill was on nearby Black Creek. In 1941 the entire operation merged with adjacent Sonoco Products Company.
Sonoco Products Company This enterprise was chartered as Southern Novelty Company in 1899; . . . — Map (db m38132) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-65 — Coker's Pedigreed Seed Company /Coker Experimental Farms|
|(Front) This company, incorporated in 1914 by David R. Coker (1870-1938), grew out of his pioneering work breeding plants and developing high-quality seeds. At first focusing on helping Southern farmers grow superior upland cotton, it later had great success with corn, wheat, oats, soybeans, tobacco, and other crops. (Reverse) The trademark of the company was a red heart with the motto “Blood Will Tell.” Coker Experimental Farms, begun on a 220-acre tract nearby, . . . — Map (db m53976) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-46 — Damascus Methodist Church|
|The church organized as early as 1817 and known as "Wright's Meeting House, Black Creek" was the first Methodist congregation in the area. James D. Wright, an elder who was appointed "Exhorter" in 1826, preached here until his death in 1862. Damascus Methodist Church declined after 1893, when Wesley Methodist Church was founded in Hartsville; it disbanded by 1901. — Map (db m38139) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-28 — David Robert Coker 1870-1938|
|Known world-wide for developing new varieties and for perfecting superior strains of agricultural crops (including cotton), Coker, for years was pres. Pedigreed Seed Co., chartered 1918. He was intendant (mayor) of Hartsville 1900-1901; member National Agricultural Advisory Commission; trustee of University SC and Coker College. His 1916 home here is now part of Coker College. — Map (db m38131) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-31 — Eastern Carolina Silver Company|
|This silver co., chartered March 5, 1907, manufactured and sold coffee and tea sets, bread trays, bowls, candelabra, and cups. J. L. Coker served as pres., W. F. Smith as vice pres., and C. W. Coker as sec. & treas. By 1908 the company had begun to manufacture classically-designed quadruple plate, some ornamented with cotton blossom motifs. The enterprise, located 3 blocks NE, dissolved Nov. 25, 1909. — Map (db m38133) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-34 — First Baptist Church|
| Side A Members of New Providence and Gum Branch Baptist churches under John L. Hart's leadership began Hartsville Baptist, the first church in town, 16 November 1850. A union Sunday school met on the site as early as July 1849. John L. Hart donated land on which the congregation built a sanctuary in 1851. Rev. J. W. Burn served as first pastor for many years. The church joined Welsh Neck Association in 1851, and the SC General
Side B Assembly chartered the congregation in . . . — Map (db m38136) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-70 — Hartsville Graded School / Mt. Pisgah Nursery School|
|Hartsville Graded School The first public school for the black children of Hartsville and vicinity operated on this site from about 1900 to 1921. It was renamed Darlington County Training School in 1918. A new school was built on 6th St. south of this site in 1921. Rev. Henry H. Butler (1887 ~ 1948) was principal at both sites for a combined 37 years. The 1921 school was renamed Butler School in Butlerís honor in 1939.
Mt. Pisgah Nursery School Mt. Pisgah Presbyterian Church grew . . . — Map (db m60604) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-42 — Hartsville Oil Mill|
| Side A The Hartsville Oil Mill, founded in 1900 by J.L. Coker, D.R. Coker, and J.J. Lawton, stood here until 1993. A cotton oil mill, it crushed cottonseed to produce cooking oil; meal and cake for feed and fertilizer; and lint for stuffing and explosives. It was chartered in 1909 with Lawton as president, treasurer, and general manager; Albert Jordan as secretary; and C.G. Timberlake as superintendent.
Side B The mill office, still standing at this site, was built in . . . — Map (db m38138) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — Hartsville Veterans Monument|
|Monument Honoring World War I, World War II, Korea, Vietnam and Persian Gulf Veterans. — Map (db m60608) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-8 — Jacob Kelley House|
|This house, home of Jacob Kelley (1780-1874), was used as a Union headquarters on March 2-3, 1865 by Major-General John E. Smith, Commander of the Third Division, Fifteenth Army Corps. During the encampment by Federal forces, the mills near Kelley Town were run for the benefit of the Third Division and foraging parties roamed the area. — Map (db m38123) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-27 — James Lide Coker|
| Side A James L. Coker (1837-1918) came here from Society Hill ca. 1858 as a planter. While serving in the Civil War as a captain in Co. E, 6th Regiment SC Volunteers, he was seriously wounded. Promoted to major in 1864, he was a member of the SC House 1865-66. In 1865 he founded J. L. Coker & Co. and was a founder of the Bank of Darlington (1881); Darlington Manufacturing
Side B Co. (1881); Hartsville Railroad (1884); Carolina Fiber (1890) and Southern Novelty (1899), . . . — Map (db m38129) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-23 — John L. Hart / John Hart House (#1)|
|John L. Hart In 1845, John Lide Hart (1825-1864) bought a 491-acre plantation here. Along what is now Home Avenue, he built a carriage factory, a store, a steam-powered sawmill and grist-mill, and houses for himself and his workers. Hart also donated land for the First Baptist Church, which he helped establish. The property here left his ownership in 1854. Hart, a Confederate lieutenant, died in action near Petersburg, Virginia.
John Hart House This example of regional vernacular . . . — Map (db m38127) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-17 — Lower Fork Of Lynches Creek Baptist Church / Gum Branch Church|
| Lower Fork Of Lynches Creek Baptist Church This church, which probably evolved from a branch meeting house built nearby in 1770 by First Lynches Creek Church, was constituted in 1789; Joshua Palmer became minister in the same year. The church held early meetings at Lower Fork of Lynches Creek, Boggy Swamp and Witherinton's Mill. By 1798, the church was located here.
Gum Branch Church In 1797, David Kelly was deacon and Cornelius Keith was clerk of Lower Fork of Lynches Creek . . . — Map (db m38125) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-10 — Thomas E. Hart House|
|This house was the residence of Captain Thomas Edwards Hart, who settled on these lands in 1817, and for whom Hartsville was named. He was a Justice of the Peace, Chairman of the Board of Free Schools, planter, merchant, and was appointed first Postmaster when the Hartsville Post Office was established in 1838. He died in 1842 at the age of 46. — Map (db m38124) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-32 — Welsh Neck High School / Coker College|
|Welsh Neck High School The Welsh Neck Baptist Association initiated this institution as a coeducational boarding school. It opened Sept. 17, 1894, through the generosity of Maj. James Lide Coker, Civil War veteran, local industrialist, and the school's first chairman of the board of trustees. Enrollment peaked at 267 in 1902. When the 1907 public high school act reduced the need for this school, it became a four-year college for women.
Coker College The trustees of Welsh Neck High . . . — Map (db m38134) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Lamar — 16-44 — Fair Hope Presbyterian Church|
|This church was organized in 1872 by Harmony Presbytery with Capt. Joseph Commander (1800-1883) as its first elder. This sanctuary, built on land donated by Commander, was moved here and remodeled about 1909. Fair Hope, a founding member of the Pee Dee Presbytery in 1889, withdrew in 1969 to become an independent church. — Map (db m38171) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Lamar — 16 - 66 — John Wesley Methodist Church|
|(Front) This church, founded about 1865, is the first African-American church in Lamar and was long known as Lamar Colored Methodist Episcopal Church. It was organized by Rev. John Boston, a former slave who was its first minister, serving here 1865-67. Boston, who also represented Darlington Co. in the S.C. House 1868-70 and 1872-74, is buried in the church cemetery. The old Boston Township was named for him. (Reverse) The church held its first services in a brush arbor, . . . — Map (db m53696) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Lydia — 16-53 — Lydia Rural Fire Dept.|
|The Lydia Rural Fire Department, the first rural fire department in this county, was organized in 1954 after fires destroyed three houses in less than a month. Its organizers met at the store and gas station owned by E. Gay Bass (1913-1997). By mid-1955 the department had received a charter, built a fire station, and bought two trucks. Bass, its first fire chief, served 23 years. — Map (db m38172) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Lydia — 16-24 — Wesley Chapel|
|Said to be Darlington County's oldest Methodist church, Wesley Chapel, thought to be founded in 1789, was the site of early camp meetings. By 1802, the church was known as Gully Meetinghouse and was located about 1 1/2 miles N. The site here was obtained from Jesse & John Clements in 1832; the church renamed Wesley Chapel in 1834; and the present sanctuary built in 1908. — Map (db m38169) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Meadow Brook — 16-40 — Williamson's Bridge|
|Williamson's Bridge was built over Black Creek by 1771. In 1780 a part of Brig. Gen. Francis Marion's S.C. militia brigade – the "Pee Dee Regiment" or "Cheraws Militia" under Lt. Col. Lamuel Benton (1754-1818) – clashed with Loyalists here. Benton's militiamen forced the Tories from the bridge, pursued them for some distance, and finally routed them in hand-to-hand combat. — Map (db m38104) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Mechanicsville — 16-4 — Evan Pugh|
|One half mile east of this site Evan Pugh (1729-1802) is buried at Pugh Field near his homesite. He moved to this Pee Dee section in 1762 from Pennsylvania and served as a Minister for the Welsh Neck, Cashaway, and Mount Pleasant Churches of the Charleston Baptist Association, 1766-1802. He was an American Revolutionary patriot. — Map (db m38140) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Mechanicsville — 16-5 — Lamuel Benton|
|Owner of many acres north of here, Lamuel Benton was prominent in the Revolution as Colonel of the Cheraws militia under Francis Marion and as forager for Greene's Continental Army. Member S.C. House of Representatives, 1781-87; Delegate to the S.C. Constitutional Convention of 1790; Sheriff of Cheraws District, 1798 and 1791; Member of Congress, 1793-1799. — Map (db m38141) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Mont Clare — 16-57 — Mont Clare Community Center|
| Side A This community center, the first in Darlington County, was built in 1933 by area citizens. The land was donated by E.M. Williamson of Mont Clare Plantation, the cypress logs and other lumber were cut at T.C. Coxeís Skufful Plantation, and the sandstone for the foundation was quarried at Skufful Plantation.
Side B The Mont Clare Mission was a nondenominational Sunday School and worship service organized in 1913 at nearby Mont Clare School. It met here from 1933 until . . . — Map (db m38114) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Oates — 16-33 — Laurie M. Lawson|
|Birthplace of L. M. Lawson (1873-1943), attorney, farmer, Methodist layman. Served in SC House 1905-10, SC Senate 1911-14, Pres. Darlington Agricultural Soc. 1938-39. — Map (db m38170) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Oates — 16-62 — Oates|
| Oates, a thriving rural community from the 1880s to the 1930s, grew up around a general store built nearby by William J. Oates (1826-1897). Oates's father James (1786-1873) had acquired a plantation here in 1824. William J. Oates, who moved to Florida and served in the Confederate army in a Florida unit, came home to Darlington District after the war.
(Reverse) This crossroads was named Oates in 1880, when a post office was opened in the general store. Union Academy, founded about . . . — Map (db m38173) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Oates — 16-20 — William Andrew Dowling|
|Born in Darlington County in 1859, William Dowling was a descendant of Robert Dowling, who had settled in S.C. in the Parish of St. David by 1773. William served as a member of the South Carolina House of Representatives, 1899-1900, and was Darlington County Supervisor when the 1902-1903 courthouse was built. Dowling's home stood about one-half mile east of here. — Map (db m38168) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Society Hill — 16-41 — Caleb Coker House|
|This house, built ca. 1832, was the home of Caleb Coker (1802-1869) and the birthplace of his son Maj. James Lide Coker (1837-1918), Confederate officer, industrialist, and founder of Coker College. Caleb Coker, a merchant, was also a director of the Cheraw & Darlington RR, librarian of the Society Hill Library Society, and a charter member of the Darlington Agricultural Society. — Map (db m38165) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Society Hill — 16-2 — David Rogerson Williams|
|March 8, 1776-November 17, 1830 Statesman, educator, pioneer manufacturer, scientific farmer, State Senator, Congressman, Governor 1814-1816, Brigadier General in the War of 1812. His residence, "Center Hall," was ½ mile east. His grave is in the family cemetery 2 ½ miles east. — Map (db m38142) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Society Hill — 16-47 — Execution of Adam Cusack|
|In August or September 1780 Major James Wemyssís 63rd Regiment of Foot marched from Georgetown to Cheraw burning and looting Patriot houses and farms. When Adam Cusack, who ran a ferry over Black Creek, refused to take some British officers across he was arrested. Convicted in an extralegal court martial, he was hanged nearby as his wife and children pleaded with Wemyss for mercy. — Map (db m31770) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Society Hill — 16-63 — Henry C. Burn House|
|[Front] Henry C. Burn (1839-1912), state representative and Darlington County public servant, lived here from 1882 until his death. Burn, born in Chesterfield District, was educated at St. Davidís Academy in Society Hill, then at Furman University, before joining the Confederate army. He came back to S.C. and farmed briefly in Chesterfield District but returned to Society Hill by 1875.
[Reverse] Burn represented Darlington District in the S.C. House 1890-92. He was later . . . — Map (db m38166) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Society Hill — 16-39 — Japonica Hall / Maj. J.J. Lucas|
|[Front] This house, built in 1896-97 and designed in the Beaux Arts style by noted S.C. architect Charles Coker Wilson, was the home of Maj. James Jonathan Lucas (1831-1914). An earlier house here, which burned in 1892, had been the home of Dr. Thomas Smith (d. 1875), who married the widow of Judge Samuel Wilds. Lucas served Charleston District as a state representative 1856-1862.
[Reverse] In 1862, Lucas, a Citadel graduate, organized and became major of Lucas' Battalion . . . — Map (db m38163) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Society Hill — 16-25 — Lawrence Faulkner / Simon Brown|
|[Front] Born c.1840 and a resident of Darlington County by 1871, Lawrence Faulkner was a black school teacher, later merchant, and Society Hill's postmaster from 1877 to 1889. A trustee of nearby Union Baptist Church, Faulkner died in 1898. His store and dwelling were located on this site.
[Reverse] A former slave from Virginia, Brown lived in Society Hill around 1900 and for years was employed by Lawrence Faulkner's widow to work on her farm. His small house was adjacent . . . — Map (db m38159) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Society Hill — 16-3 — Long Bluff|
|Marker Front: Long Bluff, 3/4 mile east on Great Pedee River, was the site of the first courthouse and jail for old Cheraws District in 1772. The town was known as Greeneville after the Revolution and remained the seat of justice until the formation of Darlington, Marlboro and Chesterfield Districts. Circuit courts and elections were conducted for a while longer.
Marker Reverse At a Circuit Court held here on November 15, 1774, more than a year before the Declaration of . . . — Map (db m31778) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Society Hill — 16-58 — Society Hill Depot|
|Marker Front: This depot, built shortly after the Civil War, features a distinctive architectural design favored by the Cheraw & Darlington Railroad during its history as an independent line. The C & D, chartered in 1849, ran 40 miles between Cheraw and present-day Florence and began service in 1855. The first combined passenger and freight depot in Society Hill was built nearby on West Depot St.
Marker Reverse Federal troops burned the original depot, a short distance north, . . . — Map (db m31773) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Society Hill — 16-26 — Society Hill Library Society|
|[Front] On June 5, 1822, twelve men paid $20 each to purchase books for a library. These men were J. J. Evans; David and Elias Gregg; D. R. W., J. K. and T. E. McIver; Thomas Smith; Alexander Sparks; D. R. and J. N. Williams; J. F. Wilson; and J. D. Witherspoon. On December 7, 1822 the men formed the Society Hill Library Society.
[Reverse] This society was incorporated Dec. 20, 1823 and by 1826 was located in a structure about 900 ft. N. on land given by John D. . . . — Map (db m38160) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Society Hill — 16-36 — Society Hill Presbyterian Church|
|[Front] Was organized August 12, 1891 with 17 charter members, by a commission of the Pee Dee Presbytery under Revs. J. G. Law, J. G. Richards, and W. B. Corbett. Elders H. A. Womack and J. S. McCall and deacon L .M. Crosswell were appointed church officers. Services were held in the school until the sanctuary was built 1892-93; a manse was built 1922. Rev. J. P. Marion, the first full-time minister, served 1892-1902.
[Reverse] For several years in the early twentieth . . . — Map (db m38162) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Society Hill — 16-9 — St. David's Academy|
|The St. David's Society, organized in 1777 and chartered in 1778, built the first public academy in St. David's Parish ĺ mile northeast in 1786. Alexander McIntosh, George Hicks, Abel Kolb, William Pegues, and Thomas Evans were early officers. The academy was removed to this site about 1840 and the present building was erected in 1957. — Map (db m38143) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Society Hill — 16-30 — Trinity Church|
|This Episcopal church, located about 800 ft. N., was incorporated 1833. Early members associated with the church are said to have been from the Dewitt, Edwards, Evans, Hanford, Hawes, McCollough, Williams and Witherspoon families. In 1834 the present structure was consecrated by Bishop Nathaniel Bowen. After many years, the church became inactive and was officially listed as dormant 1931. The building is now maintained by private benefactors. — Map (db m41415) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Society Hill — 16-13 — Welsh Neck Church|
| Side A This church, the pioneer center of Baptist influence in the area, was constituted January 1738 by Welsh from Pennsylvania and was originally located about two miles northeast of here. The first pastor was Philip James. It was incorporated March 17, 1785, as the “Baptist Church at the Welsh Neck on Pedee River.”
Side B Seat of worship of this Baptist church was relocated here about 1799 on land acquired from Capt. William DeWitt. The second meeting house . . . — Map (db m38144) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Society Hill — 16-21 — Zachariah W. Wines|
|Black merchant and educator Zachariah Wines, born 1847 in Society Hill, represented Darlington County in the S.C. House 1876-78 and was commissioned Captain in the National Guard by Gov. Wade Hampton in 1877. He taught at nearby Waddell School and later served as Society Hill Postmaster, 1897-1904. He died in 1920 and is buried about 1/3 mile northeast. — Map (db m38158) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Springville — 16-55 — John L. Hart House|
|[Front] This house was built ca. 1856 for John Lide Hart (1825-1864), merchant and Confederate officer. Hart, who lived in Hartsville, named for his father Thomas E. Hart, founded a carriage and harness factory there in 1851. In 1853 he and partner William Shy founded Hart & Shy, a carriage factory in Darlington. Debts forced Hart to sell out and move here to Springville in 1855-56.
[Reverse] Hart was a member of the Darlington District Agricultural Society and a captain in . . . — Map (db m38112) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Springville — 16-56 — John Westfield Lide House|
| Side A This Greek Revival house was built ca. 1840 for John Westfield Lide (1794-1858), planter and state representative. Lide, the son of Maj. Robert Lide and Mary Westfield Holloway Lide, was a member of the third graduating class at S.C. College (now the University of S.C) in 1809. He returned to Darlington District, became a planter, and expanded his holdings in the area.
Side B Lide represented Darlington District in the S.C. House of Representatives 1822-25, and was . . . — Map (db m38113) HM|
|South Carolina (Darlington County), Timmonsville — 16-14 — Augustin Wilson|
|Augustin Wilson, whose grave is about 150 ft. E. and marked by a partially embedded cannon barrel, was born 1755 in Va. During the American Revolution, he served with N.C. troops protecting S.C. against Tories and Indians and as an Ensign at the 1779 Battle of Brier Creek, Ga. He moved to South Carolina before 1820, where he died in 1848. — Map (db m38167) HM|