HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Dauphin County Markers
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Dauphin — Col. Timothy Green
In the graveyard to the south rests Timothy Green, officer in the French and Indian War; signer of the Hanover Independence Resolves in June, 1774; an outstanding leader of this region in the Revolution. — Map (db m12506) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Dauphin — Fort Hunter
Stockaded blockhouse, built 1755-56, on the site of present Fort Hunter Museum. Used to protect the frontier and as a supply base in building Fort Augusta. Abandoned and fell to ruins after 1763. — Map (db m1511) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Dauphin — Simon Girty
(1741–1818). Frontiersman known as the “Great Renegade” was born nearby. Captured by Indians, 1756, he lived among the Senecas and learned their language and culture. Following his release, he became an interpreter for the American army; deserted in 1778. Afterwards he led British and Native American war parties against frontier settlements. Hostile to the U.S. in War of 1812. Regarded as a loyalists by some and a “white savage” by others, he remains controversial. He died in Canada. — Map (db m1587) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Duncannon — Clark's Ferry Bridge Company
William Jennings - President Christian W. Lynch - Vice-president William Wills - Secretary Patrick F. Duncan - Treasurer Frank M. Masters - Chief Engineer Ralph Modjeski - Consulting Engineer Paul P. Cret - Consulting Architect The Vang Const. Co. - Contractors (Around relief artwork of the original bridge) The original structure at this location built 1828-29 replaced 1924-25 Constructed and operated as a public utility in accordance with the laws of the commonwealth and . . . — Map (db m19710) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Elizabethville — Eisenhower Ancestral Home
Built in 1854 by Jacob F. Eisenhower Grandfather of Dwight D. Eisenhower 34th President of the United States of America From this farm the family migrated to Kansas in the summer of 1878. — Map (db m12495) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Grantville — Fort Manada
In this vicinity stood James Brown's log house-fort, named Fort Manda when garrisoned as an outpost of Fort Swatara from January, 1756 to May, 1757. Its usual complement consisted of 21 officers and men. No description of the fort has survived. — Map (db m12508) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Grantville — Hanover Church
About two miles north is the site of this pioneer Presbyterian church founded in 1736. First pastor was Richard Sankey. In the graveyard are buried many first settlers and veterans of frontier wars and the American Revolution. — Map (db m31302) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Grantville — Hanover Resolves
The earliest resolves for independence in the State. Drawn June 4, 1774, by Col. Timothy Green and eight Hanover Township patriots. They committed their cause to "Heaven and our Rifles" — Map (db m31307) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Halifax — Fort Halifax
Just west of this point stood Fort Halifax. It was built in 1756 by Col. William Clapham, and was one of the chain of frontier forts built to protect settlers in this region during French and Indian War days. — Map (db m12503) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Halifax — Pennsylvania CanalEastern Division
This Division was built, 1826-33; operated until 1901. Here, at old Clark's Ferry Towpath Bridge, the State's great inland canal traffic in iron, coal, and lumber crossed the Susquehanna. Lykens Valley coal trade, by way of Wiconisco Canal, joined it on the east bank. — Map (db m6901) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — “Never Again”
    This memorial to the Holocaust, once a dream for survivors who settled in this community, became a reality in 1994 and was rededicated in 2007.     The monument represents a spiritual reminder of the darkest chapter of history, when Hitler perpetrated a systematic state persecution and murder of six million Jewish women, men and children and of five million other victims deemed undesirable. It describes the toll of unleashed discrimination and the resilience of the human spirit in . . . — Map (db m6279) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — 104th Cavalry
This tablet erected by The Veterans Association of the 104th Cavalry and the active members of the regiment in memory of the officers and men who died in service of their country dedicated 12 June 1971 on the fiftieth anniversary Organization of the 104th Armored Cavalry, PARNG — Map (db m6715) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — 333 Market Street
At 341 feet in height, 333 Market Street represents the pinnacle of Harrisburg's robust skyline and is not only the city's tallest building, but also the tallest of any building located between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Built in 1977 as part of the first generation of new development in Center City under the Harristown Urban Renewal Plan, 333 Market Street followed shortly after the construction of Phase I of Strawberry Square in fulfilling the strategy of locating expanding state office . . . — Map (db m6686) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — A. Carson Stamm Residence
This stately Georgian Revival-styled edifice at 333. S. Thirteenth Street was completed in 1909 as the home of prominent Harrisburg attorney A. Carson Stamm (1863-1939); The building is unique both in location as a single home nestled within the older Allsion Hill residential community and as having been built much later than its late 19th century neighbors. Stamm was also president of the Harrisburg School Board in the early 20th Century and played a significant role in the development of the . . . — Map (db m31292) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Abraham Lincoln
On February 22, 1861, while journeying to Washington for his Inauguration, Lincoln stopped at the Jones House, on this site. From the portico of the hotel, he addressed a large crowd gathered in Market Square. — Map (db m6577) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Bellevue Park
The centerpiece of improvements to Harrisburg's marvelous park system, launched in 1902, was the "Crown Jewel" of Reservoir Park situated at the city's summit. Adjacent to this summit, flowing to the south, were the open fields of an old farm named Belle Vue, acquired by German-born Christian Haehnlen in 1856, and later bequeathed to his son, Jacob, who built there a summer retreat in 1876. The home was in turn inherited by Jacob's son, Louis, who established a well-known grapery and wine . . . — Map (db m6889) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Bishop McDevitt High School
Standing picturesquely upon a slope rising to the summit of Reservoir Park and at the apex of Market Street's climb from Center City is Bishop McDevitt High School, primary parochial secondary school serving the City of Harrisburg and the Harrisburg East Shore. The School's roots are traced to the Catholic Diocese's first high school, which opened in 1918 at Cathedral Hall, now known as the CYO Building, at North and Church Streets behind Saint Patrick Cathedral. By 1925, dramatically increased . . . — Map (db m6888) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Breeze Hill
Quietly nestled at the corner of 21st Street and Bellevue Road is a true historic landmark: the home of the internationally recognized founder of the American Civic Association and modern-day American Rose Society, J. Horace McFarland (1859-1948). It was here on the original 2.4-acre "pie-shaped" lot that one of the most widely known gardens in America was established. The energies of McFarland in bringing national attention to Harrisburg's City Beautiful plan, in advancing the cause of scenic . . . — Map (db m6893) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Broad Street Market
The Broad Street Market consists of the oldest continuously operated market houses in the United States. By the advent of the Civil War, Harrisburg began to develop north of North Street onto the newly subdivided lands of William Verbeke, John Forster and John Fox. This growth generated the demand for a new farmers market, in addition to the original markets situated in the middle of Market Square since the end of the 18th Century. Thus was formed The West Harrisburg Market Company which in . . . — Map (db m6795) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — C. Delores Tucker(1927 - 2005)
Civil rights leader and activist for women, she was the first African American Secretary of State in the nation. Championed the PA Equal Rights Amendment and policies on affirmative action, voter registration by mail, and lowering the voting age to 18. Spearheaded the creation of the Commission on the Status of Women & led a successful crusade critical of the music industry and lyrics demeaning to women, African Americans, and children. — Map (db m6767) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Camel Back Bridge
A covered wooden bridge, designed by Theodore Burr, was built here in 1813-17; called "Camel Back" because of its unique arch design. The structure, partly rebuilt in 1847 and 1867, was replaced after severe flood damage in 1902. — Map (db m6375) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Camelback and Market Street Bridges
The bridge river crossing at this spot is Harrisburg's oldest and most historic. First to be erected was the Camelback Bridge, known for its irregular and "rolling" covered bridge profile and the first bridge to ever cross the Susquehanna River that flows through three states. Authorized for construction in 1809 and completed in 1816, the Bridge's financial success as a link to the farmers of Cumberland County to its west helped to establish Harrisburg's early importance as a major . . . — Map (db m6376) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Camp Curtin
Harrisburg's Civil War importance as a transportation center and state capital became strikingly clear upon the fall of Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, South Carolina, in April of 1861 when President Abraham Lincoln and Pennsylvania Governor Andrew Curtin issued a call for volunteers to take up arms against the Confederacy. New recruits would converge on hastily established Union camps from which troops would be dispatched. The largest of these camps throughout the entire course of the War, . . . — Map (db m6489) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Camp Curtin
Here on 80 acres stood a great training camp of the Civil War. It was named after Andrew Gregg Curtin, Pennsylvania Governor, 1861-1867. Between April 1861 and April 1865, more military units were organized here than at any other Northern camp. — Map (db m6492) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Camp Curtin 1861 - 1865
In memory of more than 300,000 soldiers of the Civil War. The flower of the nation's youth and the maturity of her manhood, who passed into and out of this camp to the field of battle. A united country enjoys the fruits of their victory for liberty and union. — Map (db m6496) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Capitol Park
The deliberations during the first decade of the 19th Century through which Harrisburg prevailed in achieving State Capital status were in part spawned by the donation by John Harris, Jr., in 1785, of four acres of the oldest portion of Capitol Park to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania when the plan for Harrisburg was laid out that year. Topographically, Capitol Park is still reminiscent of its early days as a knoll which at that time rose from the wheat fields and swampland of the Susquehanna . . . — Map (db m6696) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — City Island
This 63-acre Susquehanna River jewel and major tourism and recreational destination has lured human occupations not just since Harrisburg was founded and throughout the ensuing centuries but also by prehistoric native Americans beginning at least 9,000 years ago. This key land mass, set within the river, served as the convergence of ancient trails and would later establish the city's prominence as a transportation center. The Island contains archaeological treasures of the Susquehannocks and . . . — Map (db m7098) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Cumberland Valley Railroad Bridge
The coming of the railroad to Harrisburg in 1836 led to the construction of the first bridges to span the Susquehanna, since the building of the Camelback Bridge in 1817, which planted the seed for what would become the city's trademark of distinctive river crossings. The Cumberland Valley Railroad was one of several infant railroads, prior to being consolidated with the Pennsylvania Railroad in the mid 19th Century, to emanate from Harrisburg, helping to make the city become one of the . . . — Map (db m44405) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Dauphin County
Formed March 4, 1785 from part of Lancaster County. The name honors the eldest son of the French King Louis XVI. Harrisburg, the county seat, was laid out in 1785 and chartered a city in 1860. Since 1812 it has been the State capital of Pennsylvania. — Map (db m6399) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Dauphin County Courthouse
Dauphin County's third and present courthouse since the 1785 creation of the County was completed in 1943 at this, the traditional and most prominent entrance to the City of Harrisburg. It replaced the second Courthouse, erected in 1860, which stood on the northeast corner of Market and Court Streets. The present building, designed by the noted Harrisburg architectural firm of Lawrie and Green in the neo-classic revival interpretation of the Art Deco style, is a monumental edifice representing . . . — Map (db m6400) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Dauphin Deposit Bank Building
The structure across the street is the oldest bank building in the Harrisburg Metropolitan Area and stands as an icon to the financial institution that helped to fuel the City's growth since the 1830's. Survivor of several Economic Panics, the Civil War, the Great Depression, and two World Wars, the banking operations in this building were guided from 1840 to 1945 by three generations of one of Harrisburg's most influential families, the McCormick's, and also by the Cameron's. The bank and . . . — Map (db m6632) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Eagle Hotel and Bolton Hotel
On the site directly across the street stood the Eagle Hotel, a three-story brick structure opened by George Buehler in January of 1812. It was here that Charles Dickens stayed when touring America in 1842 during which time he authored "American Notes" and in which he praised the hotel's proprietor. The Eagle Hotel was enlarged under the new ownership of the Bolton family in the early 1860's when it was renamed the Bolton Hotel. At that time, a series of neighboring townhouses that had earlier . . . — Map (db m6750) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Engleton
By the end of the 19th Century, Harrisburg's distinction as State Capital, transportation center and nucleus of industry unleashed development energy to keep pace with the pressing need for housing in the rapidly growing city. Builders emerged to construct homes block-by-block in recently subdivided lands located closer to the municipal boundaries of 1860, the year that Harrisburg was incorporated as a city. One of the best preserved "snapshots" of this development activity can be seen in what . . . — Map (db m6254) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Executive Mansion
The second official Governor's residence occupied a site across this street. Originally a private home acquired in 1864, it was altered and enlarged by many of its occupants. In the 1880's it was referred to as "Keystone Hall." After 96 years of use, it was demolished in 1960. — Map (db m6288) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Executive Mansion
The first official Governor's residence stood at this site. Purchased in 1858, it housed only two governors. Packer and Curtin. It was sold in 1864 when the second official residence which became "Keystone Hall," was acquired. — Map (db m6564) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Federal Square
One block northeast of Harrisburg's Market Square is located a place that became known by the end of the 19th century as Federal Square, the block bounded by N. Third, Locust, Court and Walnut Streets. Since 1877, this block has been the site of the U.S. Government's presence in Harrisburg. By act of Congress that year, funds were authorized for the construction of Harrisburg's first stand-alone and fully complemented post office facility. Earlier, Harrisburg's post offices had been located . . . — Map (db m6695) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Firefighters' Memorial Monument
This statue, plaza and site perpetually commemorates the past and present dedication, skill and contributions of the men and women of the fires service of the City of Harrisburg and of this Commonwealth and Nation. Forever shall this site memorialize those who have been lost in the line-of-duty. The service, sacrifice, valor and courage of such fire-fighters inspire and embolden the Nation and this City. Their names are enshrined for all time for their supreme and gallant effort for Country . . . — Map (db m6283) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Genevieve Blatt (1913 - 1996)
One of the most influential women in Pennsylvania politics in the 20th century. First woman to be elected to a statewide office, Secretary of Internal Affairs, and to be nominated by a major party to run for the U.S. Senate. Elected to the Commonwealth Court in 1973, she wrote the 1975 opinion that gave girls equal access to school sports. Blatt lived at 115 North Street for twenty-five years. — Map (db m6308) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — George J. Heisely Residence and the National Anthem
In the building at the northwest corner of N. Second and Walnut Streets lived George J. Heisely (1789-1880) who was a Harrisburg mathematical instrument and clockmaker. Heisely had joined the First Regiment of the Pennsylvania Militia's First Brigade during the War of 1812 when a call was made for the defense of Baltimore in September of 1814. Heisely was accompanied by fellow regiment volunteers Ferdinand Durang and brother Charles Durang while encamped just outside the city. Francis Scott Key . . . — Map (db m6624) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Governor's Residence
This is the present home of the Governor of Pennsylvania. It was completed in 1968 and is the third official executive mansion located in Harrisburg. — Map (db m6245) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Governor's Residence
Opposite is the present home of the Governor of Pennsylvania. Designed in the Georgian Revival style, it was completed in 1968 and is the third official executive residence in Harrisburg. "Keystone Hall," an earlier Governor's residence, located further south on Front Street, was razed in 1960 after 96 years of use. — Map (db m6247) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Governors’ Row
This fine collection of historic Front Street townhouses is the single most important row of homes that can be associated with the lives of early Pennsylvania Governors. The original houses on the block; Federal in style and dating to 1812 were designed by Stephen Hills, architect of the old Pennsylvania Capitol, that was completed in 1822. Two of the original homes at 23 and 27 n. Front Street, survive. The other three, at 17, 21 and 25 N. Front Street, either were replaced or enlarged upon . . . — Map (db m6374) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Grace Methodist Church
After the state capitol was destroyed by fire on February 2, 1897, this church building became the temporary quarters of the state legislature while the new capitol was being constructed. — Map (db m6726) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Grace United Methodist Church
This church, built between 1873 and 1878, can be said to have saved Harrisburg from losing its status as the Capital of Pennsylvania. Since 1809, efforts were made to return the Capital from its temporary location at Lancaster to Philadelphia where it was prior to 1799. Philadelphia loyalists tried unsuccessfully to effectuate this move when Harrisburg was chosen as the Capital in 1810. They tried again in 1816 when the appropriation to build the first Capitol Building was approved, as well as . . . — Map (db m6727) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Grand Opera House
On the southeast corner of N. Third and Walnut Streets stood the Grand Opera House, erected in 1873 at a cost of $160,000, by the Masonic Fraternity and designed by architect Frank E. Davis. Serving also as the Harrisburg Masonic Temple, lodge rooms were located on the upper floors and a theater, which was separately leased for cultural events, was situated below. Here Harrisburg's cultural life was taken to new heights as a place where nationally renowned theatrical and musical productions . . . — Map (db m6748) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Greetings to Future Harrisburgers
In a shaft directly beneath this monument, in a metal cylinder is contained a documented history of Harrisburg from it's early beginnings along with evidences of the way of life in our time. It is our fervent hope that you will bring them to light during 2060, prior to your bi-centennial celebration, sort them out and again inter some of them along with your own for evaluation by future generations. May God guide your endeavors. The Centennial Committee September, 1960 — Map (db m6337) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Harris Switch Tower
By 1929, Harrisburg's growth as a freight and passenger rail hub in the eastern United States necessitated the introduction of new rail interlocking technologies to guide the convergence of high volume locomotive traffic through the city. At that time, over 100 passenger and 20 freight trains per day passed through the yards of the Pennsylvania Railroad here on fifteen tracks. The widening of the Market Street subway in 1926 and completion of the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Bridge in 1930 . . . — Map (db m6849) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Harrisburg
Pennsylvania's capital since 1812. As Harris' Ferry, was settled a century before by John Harris Sr. Laid out as a town in 1785 by John Harris Jr. For over 200 years a center of travel, trade and historic events. — Map (db m7107) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Harrisburg
Pennsylvania's capital since 1812. As Harris' Ferry, was settled a century before by John Harris Sr. Laid out as a town in 1785 by John Harris Jr. For over 200 years a center of travel, trade and historic events. — Map (db m7110) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Harrisburg
Pennsylvania's capital since 1812. As Harris' Ferry, was settled a century before by John Harris Sr. Laid out as a town in 1785 by John Harris Jr. For over 200 years a center of travel, trade and historic events. — Map (db m7159) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Harrisburg Cemetery
Here is established Harrisburg's oldest and largest Cemetery and final resting place of many noted individuals of national, state and local importance in all walks of life. Chartered in 1845, the Cemetery was created just outside the limits of the then-Borough of Harrisburg on the rural bluff of what would be later known as Allison Hill. It became evident that a new cemetery, properly situated as a tribute to Harrisburg's by-gone generations, was required to fulfill the need to relocate graves . . . — Map (db m6851) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Harrisburg Cemetery
This 35-acre cemetery, chartered by the Commonwealth and opened in 1845, is the oldest and largest in the capital city. It is noted for its ornate statuary, original caretaker's house designed by A.J. Downing, and late Victorian landscape architecture. More than 30,000 persons are interred here, including Revolutionary War dead, Pennsylvania Governors, and others of local, state and national renown. — Map (db m7109) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Harrisburg Giants
Harrisburg-based Negro League baseball team founded around 1900 and operated by Colonel William Strothers until his death in 1933. One of 27 major Negro League teams across the nation, the Giants finished in second place in the Eastern Colored League in 1925. Among well-known players were Hall-of Famer Oscar Charleston, Spottswood Poles, Ben Taylor, John Beckwith, Fats Jenkins and Rap Dixon. They played here at Island Park through 1957. — Map (db m7103) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Harrisburg Hospital
Harrisburg Hospital, the city's first public hospital, opened in the former South Ward School building in 1873, beginning a course that today makes Harrisburg a major health and research center. The school faced Mulberry Street (now vacated) which paralleled the Cumberland Valley Railroad line allowing emergency access for the infirmed who traveled there by rail. The first main hospital building, which was added to the west side of the school and faced S. Front Street, was completed in 1884. . . . — Map (db m6600) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Harrisburg Public Library Dauphin County Library System
Founded in 1889, the Harrisburg Public Library became a national model of 19th Century efforts to bring the world's information to community residents, a role that continues today. Its first home was at 125 Locust Street in a building erected by James McCormick, Jr., which still stands. McCormick lived around the corner at 101 N. Front Street, just across Walnut Street from the side yard garden of the Haldeman Mansion at 27 n. Front Street. It was here that Jacob Haldeman's daughter, Sara . . . — Map (db m6346) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Harrisburg State Hospital
The first State mental hospital in Pennsylvania. Opened in 1851, a result of efforts by the noted humanitarian, Dorothea Lynde Dix, to improve this State's treatment of the mentally ill. The hospital is on the wooded hills east of this marker, overlooking the city. — Map (db m6474) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Hilton Harrisburg and Towers
When it opened amidst regalia and fanfare in the fall of 1990, the Hilton Harrisburg and Towers reclaimed Harrisburg's traditional role as Central Pennsylvania's primary destination for the lodging and conference industry. Although plans for a major new hotel were advanced as early as 1974, it was not until the mid-1980's that concreted efforts were made, under the leadership of the City of Harrisburg, to muster the resources required to engage in such a major undertaking. the northeast . . . — Map (db m6556) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Historic Midtown Market District
Just prior to the Civil War, Harrisburg's northern development reached only as far as North Street, although its northern boundary extended to Herr Street under an annexation to the original Borough in 1838. In 1860, Harrisburg was incorporated as a City with its newly annexed territory extending all the way to Maclay Street. That same year, as neighborhoods were expanding up to Verbeke Street, the original stone building of the Broad Street Market opened. The Market became the catalyst to the . . . — Map (db m6794) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Hope Fire Station
Directly across this street stands the Hope Fire Station, oldest fire station in Harrisburg and one of the oldest in the U.S. It was originally owned by the Hope Fire Company, which was organized in 1814, and which built this building in 1871. Distinctive through its Italianate architectural design with tall arch-headed windows and corbelled exterior brickwork, the building remains a symbol of the classic neighborhood fire station of the 19th Century. The Hope Company, which was a volunteer . . . — Map (db m6740) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Italian Lake
As early as 1903, reference was made to a strip of ground at the "head of Second Street" above Division Street which would become part of the comprehensive parks improvement plan advanced by landscape architect Warren Manning of Boston at the start of Harrisburg's City Beautiful Movement. Known even then as Italian Park, the land was a wooded wetland fed by springs and was a popular place for outings as were other sylvan areas just outside the city limits prior to the establishment of the . . . — Map (db m6485) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — J. Donald Cameron(1833 - 1918)
U.S. Senator, 1877-97. Secretary of War under Ulysses Grant, 1876-77. President, Northern Central R.R., 1863-74. Son of Simon Cameron. His mansion here, acquired 1870, had many visitors and was the scene of major political and business decisions. — Map (db m6299) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — J. Donald Cameron Mansion
During the midst of the Civil War fury in 1863 would rise this magnificent residence, situated directly across this street, which was purchased in 1870 by J. Donald Cameron (1833-1918), son of Simon Cameron. The elder Cameron had served as President Lincoln's first Secretary of War during the early years of "The Rebellion," and was the organizer of one of the most powerful and lasting state political machines in U.S. history. Son J. Donald continued the Cameron legacy as Secretary of War to . . . — Map (db m6297) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — J. Horace McFarland(1859 - 1948)
Printer, horticulturist, conservationist, and "City Beautiful advocate. President, American Civic Association, 1904-24, and editor, "American Rose Annual," 1916-43. He worked successfully for preservation of Niagara Falls and creation of the National Park Service. McFarland stressed the duty of civic leaders to build a beautiful, healthful environment. his Breeze Hill home and gardens were in Harrisburg's Bellevue Park. — Map (db m6280) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — James McCormick Mansion
This house was built in 1869 by James McCormick, Jr. (1832-1917), a noted banker, industrialist, community leader and member of one of Harrisburg's oldest families. His father, James McCormick Sr., was one of the early Presidents of Dauphin Deposit Bank (now Allfirst Bank). James Jr. succeeded his father in this role as did his son Donald m. McCormick, resulting in the family having leadership roles in the bank for over a century from 1840 to 1945. the house is one of the best surviving . . . — Map (db m6344) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — John Frederick Hartranft1830 - 1889
1861 - Raised 4th and 51st Pennsylvania Volunteers 1865 - Special Provost Marshall for Lincoln Conspirators 1866 - 1879 Governor of Pennsylvania, State Constitution Revised 1879 - Father of Modern National Guard of Pennsylvania 1886 - Medal of Honor for Valor at 1st Battle of Bull Run — Map (db m6716) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — John Harris' Gift
In 1785, the founder of Harrisburg set aside a four-acre lot, now this section of Capitol Park, to be held in trust for the use of the State. The Legislature accepted the gift, 1810, when it voted to make this city the capital. — Map (db m6713) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — John Harris Mansion
Built by John Harris Jr., founder of Harrisburg, in 1764-66. It was Simon Cameron's home, 1863-89, and many famous people visited there. It is now home of the Dauphin County Historical Society. — Map (db m6598) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — John Harris Sr. Grave Site
Here lies John Harris, Sr., father of the founder of the City of Harrisburg, who emigrated from Yorkshire England in the early 18th Century to share in the opportunities of William Penn's new world. First locating in Philadelphia, Harris made his living by removing tree stumps to open new streets in that city. There, through his friendship with Edward Shippen, Esq., first mayor of Philadelphia, he met his wife-to-be, Esther Say. The Harrises moved to Chester County and then to Bainbridge, . . . — Map (db m6596) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — John Harris, Jr.1726 - 1791
Buried here is the founder of the city of Harrisburg. In 1785, he and five others planned and named the city. — Map (db m6826) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — John Harris/Simon Cameron Mansion
Here is situated the stone residence of John Harris, Jr. (1727-1791), the founder of Harrisburg, which he erected at the end of the French and Indian War in 1766. In 1785, the Borough of Harrisburg was laid out in the house's front parlor by Harris and his son-in-law, William Maclay. Upon Harris' death, the house passed to his sons, first to David Harris and then to Robert in 1805 who resided there until 1835 when it was sold to Thomas Elder, a local attorney. After Elder's death in 1853, the . . . — Map (db m6594) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Keystone Hall
Although Harrisburg was designated State Capital in 1810 and has had a State Capitol Building since 1822, it was not until just prior to the Civil War in 1858 that an official Governor's residence was procured. prior to that time, Pennsylvania Governors obtained their own residences, mostly on Front Street from which the affairs of the Office were conducted. The first Executive Mansion stood at 111 S. Second Street, just south of Chestnut Street, and was occupied by only two Governors: William . . . — Map (db m6289) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Kunkel Building
This building was erected in 1914 as the home of the Mechanics Trust Company, a Harrisburg bank that later went "bust" during the Depression. the Bank was one of many of the era that made Harrisburg the region's financial center, a role the city has expanded in the present day. It also served as one of Harrisburg's first high-rise office buildings, contributing to the early 20th Century urbanization of City Center. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, the building is . . . — Map (db m6657) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Lest We Forget
This statue erected by grateful parents of soldier sons in honor of those living and dead who served in the World War. This boulder from the foot of Round Top, Battlefield of Gettysburg — Map (db m6287) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Lincoln Cemetery
A landmark of central Pennsylvania's African American history. Established in 1827 by Wesley Union A.M.E. Zion Church. Among those buried here are T. Morris Chester, William Howard Day, Catherine McClintock, and at least 20 veterans of the Civil War. — Map (db m7111) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Lochiel Hotel and Colonial Theater
This building was erected in 1835 in the Greek Revival architectural style and was originally known as the Wilson Hotel. Such notables as Daniel Webster and singer Jenny Lind stayed here. It was a nationally known favorite of 19th Century political figures. Major Marcus Reno (U.S. Army, 7th Cavalry) of Little Big Horn fame frequented this establishment. In the late 1800's, the building was "Victorianized" through the creation of the mansard roof and window trim embellishments and was renamed . . . — Map (db m6656) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Market Square
For over a century farm produce was sold here in market sheds and from wagons at the curbs. The first sheds were built soon after the city was laid out in 1785; the last were removed in 1889. Many inns faced the Square. — Map (db m6591) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Market Square
Here is situated the nationally renowned historic and contemporary urban hub of the City of Harrisburg and the Greater Harrisburg Metropolitan Area. Laid out as the center focus of John Harris, Jr.'s plan in 1785 when Harrisburg was a launching point for Western pioneer excursions and a trading center, Market Square has witnessed ongoing transformations driven by a town on the move. Originally occupying low swampy land, the Square was configured and improved to allow for the erection in 1792 of . . . — Map (db m6592) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Market Square Presbyterian Church
With its roots dating to 1794 and having evolved from the earlier Paxton Presbyterian Church east of the city in what would become Paxtang, the Presbyterian Church of Harrisburg originally met in rooms of the old jail, on Walnut Street, and in the first Courthouse, on Market Street. The congregation's first church building was erected in 1809 on the northeast corner of S. Second Street and Cherry Alley just a block to the south of the present building. Rebuilt in 1842, the Church continued to . . . — Map (db m6576) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Maurice K. Goddard(1912-1995)
Served five governors from 1955 to 1979 in an extraordinary career as Secretary of the former Departments of Environmental Resources and Forests and Waters. Goddard significantly expanded the state park system, established state forest natural and wild areas, and professionalized forestry and environmental management in state government. A leader in air and water resource management, he inspired environmental awareness nationwide. — Map (db m55523) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Mexican War Monument
Erected by the State of Pennsylvania 1868. Commemorative of her citizens who lost their lives during the War with Mexico in 1845, 47 & 48. — Map (db m6714) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Mira Lloyd Dock(1853 - 1945)
Botanist, educator, author, civic leader, conservationist, activist. She served on the State Forestry Reservation Commission, 1901-13. she catalyzed the birth of Harrisburg's "City Beautiful" movement in a speech to the Board of Trade, Dec. 20, 1900. this movement produced the city's park system (including Riverfront Park here) and other major civic improvements. Mira Dock lived on Front Street across from this marker. — Map (db m6255) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Mira Lloyd Dock Residence
Perhaps the single-most important event that would trigger the public's embrace of Harrisburg's City Beautiful movement was the speech given on the evening of December 20, 1900, to the Harrisburg Board of Trade by social reformer and environmentalist Mira Lloyd Dock (1853-1945). Dock, who was born and raised in Harrisburg, formed a collaboration in the 1890's with noted Harrisburg printer and horticulturalist, J. Horace McFarland, to spearhead a new environmental consciousness, which . . . — Map (db m6257) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Moment of Mercy
By Sculptor Terry Jones The Battle of Fredericksburg, Virginia, in December of 1862, was one of the bloodier engagements of the American Civil War. On December 13th, Federal troops made repeated assaults against Confederate positions behind the stone walls along the Sunken Road at Marye’s Heights. In five hours an estimated 6,300 Union soldiers lay dead or wounded on the battlefield. As darkness approached, a light snow fell and the temperatures dropped to near zero. All through the frigid . . . — Map (db m7272) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Mount Pleasant Press - The J. Horace McFarland Company
Located in this building at Mulberry and Crescent Streets was what became known as the "Switchboard of America," the printing business and national clearinghouse operation of J. Horace McFarland (1859-1948), one of Harrisburg's most famous national figures during the first half of the 20th Century. McFarland, who went into the seed catalogue printing business as a young man in the 1880's, moved his operation to this site in 1889. McFarland was devoted to the sensitive stewardship of the natural . . . — Map (db m6850) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Mulberry Street Bridge
The linkage of downtown Harrisburg with the emerging Allsion Hill at this location was established in 1891 with the opening of the original Mulberry Street Bridge. Hailed at that time by Harrisburg civic leader J. Horace McFarland as "the day Greater Harrisburg was born," the bridge, which replaced a dangerous railroad grade crossing, represented an early success of what at that time could have been considered "regional consolidation." Prior to the opening of the bridge, Allsion Hill was viewed . . . — Map (db m6659) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Old Brick Capitol
The first State Capitol on this site was designed and built by Stephen Hills, 1819-1821. It was first occupied by the Legislature on January 2, 1822, and was used until destroyed by fire, February 2, 1897. — Map (db m6768) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Old Capitol Building
When the decision was made in 1810 to designate Harrisburg the Pennsylvania State Capital, the prophecy of John Harris Jr.'s town plan of 1785 was realized. At that time, he donated four acres of land to the Commonwealth, a portion of which is now Capitol Park, to induce the future location of the state seat of government there. The Legislature's decision of moving the Capital, temporarily located at Lancaster was the result of sharp discourse over whether Pennsylvania's seat of government . . . — Map (db m6724) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Old Dauphin County Courthouses
Two Dauphin County Courthouses occupied this site at the intersection of Market St. and what was originally known as Raspberry Street, later appropriately renamed Court Street. John Harris, Jr.'s original plan for Harrisburg set aside this land for use by the County, which was created from a portion of Lancaster County in 1785 and named for the Crown Prince of France to recognize French support in the American Revolution. As the new county seat, Harrisburg was actually named Louisburg for . . . — Map (db m6652) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Old Dauphin County Prison
The second Dauphin County Prison stood on the southeast corner of Walnut and Court Streets. Completed in 1841, it replaced a log structure erected circa 1792 at the time that the first Dauphin County Courthouse was built directly behind this property on Market Street. In 1899, the Prison was enlarged through the addition of a third story and expanded exterior walls by employing similar gothic and castle-like architectural features to that of the earlier prison building. Although the Prison's . . . — Map (db m6749) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Old Harrisburg Academy/Dixon University Center
Founded in 1784 by John Harris Jr., through profits generated by his Ferry across the Susquehanna, the Harrisburg Academy erected this riverside campus in 1908. The school was officially incorporated through an Act of the State Legislature in 1809 and would become a preeminent private educational institution for boys within the region. The Academy was first located at the John Harris/Simon Cameron Mansion and later at the William Maclay Mansion and Academy annex building at Front and South . . . — Map (db m6479) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Old Pennsylvania Railroad Station
Harrisburg grew from its earliest days due to its strategic location as a gateway to western expansion, becoming one of the most important inland centers of U.S. transportation and trade. The development of rail lines along the same routes as the earlier canal systems converged in downtown Harrisburg. The original portion of the present station was opened November 23, 1887 at 8:00 p.m. Constructed of pressed laid brick in red mortar, Hummelstown Brownstone and terra cotta trim, the building . . . — Map (db m6687) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Old Salem Church
Standing on land granted for religious purposes in 1785 by John Harris, this church was erected, 1822. It replaced one built of logs in 1787, the first church structure in present-day Harrisburg. — Map (db m6570) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Old Webster Elementary School
This marvelous Tudor Revival-styled facility is one of the oldest buildings in Harrisburg still standing that was originally erected for use as a school and is the oldest schoolhouse on Allsion Hill. Prior to the industrialization of eastern Harrisburg, this area was known as Mount Pleasant and was the location of rural homes and cottages overlooking the older Harrisburg along the river. By the 1870's rail spurs were established in the center of the Allsion Hill neighborhood, giving rise to the . . . — Map (db m31293) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Original Capitol Complex
When ten hilltop acres of William Maclay's farm were sold in 1810 to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for the ultimate erection of the Old Capitol Building, the sale was predicated upon Maclay's earlier prescribed directive establishing exactly where the building would be located. It was to face the Susquehanna River to the west with the building's center positioned along the intersecting centerline of a new street to be opened and named "State Street." This directive thus established the . . . — Map (db m6690) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Parish Church of St. Lawrence (Former)
The prominence of Harrisburg's State Street, between the Capitol and the Susquehanna River, is enhanced by the presence of two Roman Catholic edifices. While the Cathedral of St. Patrick, closer to the Capitol, helps to capture the grandeur of the Capitol's domed neoclassicism, the former Parish Church of St. Lawrence, closer to the river, evokes serenity through its pure and elegantly crafted architecture of the European Gothic, the execution of which can be considered one of the finest in . . . — Map (db m6731) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Parson John Elder House
Although the original Borough of Harrisburg and its oldest neighborhoods comprise the area now occupied by the Central Business District, the city's oldest structure is ironically located at its eastern end amidst 20th Century development. This location, however, is understood when realizing that the house, built in 1740, was the home of Parson John Elder, early Presbyterian minister of the nearby Paxton Presbyterian Church in Paxtang. Considered the oldest Presbyterian Church building in . . . — Map (db m6887) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Paxtang Manor
A tract of 1272 acres, now this part of Harrisburg, was first surveyed in 1732 for Thomas Penn, and was known as Paxtang Manor. It was sole, 1760, to three colonial settlers; Thomas Simpson, Thomas Forester, Thomas McKee. — Map (db m6277) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Paxton Church
A short way from here is early 18th century Paxton Church. The first pastor was installed in 1732. In the churchyard are buried John Harris, founder of Harrisburg, Senator William Maclay, and many other eminent leaders. — Map (db m6821) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Paxton Church
Organized as a congregation in 1732, with William Bertram as first pastor. The second pastor was the famed "Fighting Parson," John Elder. In the churchyard are buried John Harris, Jr., William Maclay and other notables of this region. — Map (db m6822) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Paxton Presbyterian ChurchFounded in 1716
The first building on this site, a log structure, was erected about 1716. Regular pastorate was established in 1726. The present stone building was erected in 1740 and was restored in 1931. It is the oldest Presbyterian Church building in continuous use in Pennsylvania. The church site was deeded by heirs of Wm Penn in 1744. Deed copies exhibited in the old church building. — Map (db m6824) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Paxton Riflemen
Under Capt. Matthew Smith and Lt. Michael Simpson, a company of riflemen from Paxton Township marched to Quebec, Canada, to serve with Montgomery in the attack on that city on December 31, 1775. — Map (db m7130) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Payne-Shoemaker Building
The economic prosperity enjoyed nationally throughout the 1920's was clearly not lost upon Harrisburg's downtown development. By the decade's climatic conclusion there would rise a new generation of buildings in the city - those not traditionally located at the hub of Market Square nor on Market Street, but instead farther north commanding the view and sharing the prestige of Capitol Park and the Main Capitol Building. So it was that local developer Frank Payne and contractor Raymond Shoemaker . . . — Map (db m6717) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Pennsylvania Canal
A State-owned canal system, built 1826-34, to connect Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Lake Erie. The first lock on the canal to be dedicated, March 13, 1827, was "Penn Lock," 150 yards east. It was replaced in 1859 by Locks No. 10 and 11. — Map (db m6775) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Pennsylvania Canal
The rise of Harrisburg's importance and distinction as one of the major transportation centers in the eastern United States was launched on March 14, 1827, by the laying of the cornerstone at the eastern end of Walnut Street downtown for the construction of Lock #6 of the Pennsylvania Canal. The completion of New York State's Erie Canal in 1824 prompted the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to explore the development of a transportation system to open up the interior of the state by linking . . . — Map (db m6831) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Pennsylvania Farm Show
First held in January 1917, the Farm Show took place each year at various Harrisburg locations until 1931, when it moved to the new Main Exhibition Building here. The Large Arena first opened for the 1939 show. From modest beginnings, the Farm Show ultimately grew into one of the world's largest indoor gatherings devoted to the celebration and promotion of agriculture. — Map (db m6252) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Pennsylvania Governor's Residence
The Pennsylvania Governor's Residence is located at a spot so stunning that it captures the essence of the Commonwealth's beauty through sweeping vistas of the Susquehanna at a point where the state's piedmont greets the blue mountains of the great ridge and valley. The Governor's home replaced two palatial stone-constructed houses, designed in the Queen Anne and Italianate styles, in the first decade of the 20th century. These homes represented the early 20th Century pinnacle of Front Street's . . . — Map (db m6249) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Pennsylvania State Archives
Created in 1903 as the Division of Public Records in the State Library, the State Archives safeguards and provides public access to records of state and local government and historical manuscripts. Dating from 1681, original records and papers housed here document the history of state agencies, individuals, places, events, and organizations. In 1945, the Archives became a part of the newly formed Historical and Museum Commission. — Map (db m6743) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Pennsylvania State Archives and The State Museum of Pennsylvania
Established in 1903, the Pennsylvania State Archives was originally a division of the Pennsylvania State Library which was housed in the Old Executive Office Building (now the Matthew J. Ryan Legislative Office Building) located just south of the Main Capitol Building. There they remained until 1931 when the Library moved to the newly completed Forum Building. Through recognizing that the Archives was not a library per se but the depository of valuable one-of-a-kind records, the Archives was . . . — Map (db m6745) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Pine Street Presbyterian Church
After having split from the Presbyterian Church of Harrisburg in 1858, the newly formed congregation, which built this church, first met in the Chambers of the Pennsylvania State Senate. Completed in 1860, the limestone-constructed Pine Street Presbyterian Church was designed in the English gothic style by Harrisburg architect Luther M. Simon and was a remembered part of the cityscape for Union soldiers encamped in Capitol Park across the street. The building was further enhanced in a more . . . — Map (db m6719) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Present State Capitol Building
Upon the destruction of the Old Capitol Building in 1897, the sense of loss was quickly replaced by a new spirit of community advancement for which the construction of a new Capitol Building would act as catalyst. in order to continue the operations of state government, a plain and unadorned interim Capitol, designed by Henry Ives Cobb, was hastily erected on a "shoe-string" budget on the same site as the old. Public criticism of this building resulted in the establishment of the Capitol . . . — Map (db m6723) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Presidential Convention
The Whig Convention of Dec. 1839 met in this church and nominated Wm. Henry Harrison for president, John Tyler for vice-president. Popularized as "Tippecanoe and Tyler Too", they were elected, 1840. — Map (db m6660) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Public Sector Unionism
Efforts to organize public workers in PA resulted in Acts 111 in 1968 and 195 in 1970. Tens of thousands of public employees joined unions. The movement to unionize public workers began in the 1930's. was legislatively restricted in 1947 & given partial recognition in 1957. — Map (db m6721) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Reily Hose Company No. 10
The explosion in the growth of Uptown Harrisburg in the last two decades of the 19th Century required the construction of a new fire station, the first to be located north of Reily Street. On July 11, 1885, the Reily Hose Company was organized and operated from a stable on Wood Street, located between Fifth and Sixth Street. A month later it officially became part of the City's fire station system and received the designation as "No. 10." In 1889, recognizing the need for a larger facility, . . . — Map (db m6797) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Reservoir Park
This land, the largest park in south-central Pennsylvania, and which crowns the city's summit, contrastingly complements Harrisburg's magnificent riverfront. Originally known as Prospect Hill because of its lofty vantage points, the name was changed to Reservoir Park when the first reservoir to be constructed here opened in 1874. Earlier, Harrisburg's principal reservoir was located just north of the Old Capitol on North Street. The addition of a standpipe on the Old Waterworks at Front and . . . — Map (db m6853) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King City Government Center
This building, the only municipal headquarters building in the world to be named after the civil rights leader, was built for and has served as Harrisburg's City Hall since June, 1982. As part of its efforts to revitalize Center City Harrisburg, municipal government made the commitment to erect this structure that stands as a symbol for being a catalyst to the growth and improvement which has subsequently occurred both downtown and city-wide. the building represents the third generation of . . . — Map (db m6605) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Riverfront Park
Harrisburg's distinction of having one of the most beautiful inland waterfronts in America is attributed to the growth and conservation of Riverfront Park. Through the foresight of John Harris, Jr., the founder of Harrisburg, 6.2 linear acres along the Susquehanna River were set aside for boat landing purposes at the time the original borough was laid out in 1785. Four parks were created from this land during the 19th Century; Harris Park between Paxton and Mulberry Streets, Lincoln Park from . . . — Map (db m6401) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Saint Patrick's Cathedral
The magnificent Renaissance Revival-styled Seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Harrisburg is the second to rise from this prominent State Street property. Completed in 1907, Saint Patrick's Cathedral replaced its more modest predecessor, which was erected in 1827 and enlarged and remodeled over the years. By 1868, the growth of the Roman Catholic population in Central Pennsylvania, particularly spurred by the influx of the Irish who worked on the canal system, resulted in the papacy decreeing . . . — Map (db m6728) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Simon Cameron School
Although Harrisburg's northern boundary when incorporated as a city in 1860 reached as far as Maclay Street, it would not be until the early 1890's that development widely occurred above Reily Street. Local homebuilder Benjamin Engle launched the first major subdivision in this area, a Queen Anne and Italianate-styled community known as "Engleton," between Reily and Kelker Streets and N. Second and N. Third Streets. With this sprawling new neighborhood came of course, the demand for an . . . — Map (db m6796) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Bridge
The master plan for the development of the Pennsylvania Capitol Complex was expanded at the close of World War I to include the erection of a colossal bridge which would memorialize those who fought in that War. Such a bridge would punctuate the formal symmetry of the main Capitol building and the four flanking neoclassically-styled office buildings that would evolve by the close of the 1930's. Prior to that time, State Street on Allison Hill descended sharply into the City;s industrial . . . — Map (db m6829) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Soldiers Grove
This Grove is dedicated by a grateful Commonwealth in recognition of the Soldiers and sailors from Pennsylvania who served in any of our country's wars and in memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice. — Map (db m6774) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — St. Michael’s Lutheran Church
The evolution of the English and German-speaking Lutheran congregations in Harrisburg resulted in the establishment of a number of churches that has helped to enhance the city's fabric of sacred architecture and history. From the oldest site at which religious services were conducted in Harrisburg, at Chestnut and S. Third Streets where the German Reformed congregation built Salem Church in 1822, would emerge the Zion Lutheran congregation which built its original church on Fourth Street in . . . — Map (db m6730) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — State Arsenal
As early as the days of John Harris in the mid-18th Century, Harrisburg has well provided for the storage and distribution of military munitions and supplies. Even prior to the completion of the first state capitol building in 1822, an arsenal was erected in 1817 on Capitol hill just south of where the original brick statehouse would rise. This building served through the end of the Civil War and was particularly important when General Robert E. Lee threatened an invasion of Harrisburg in the . . . — Map (db m6852) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — State Capitol
This building, which replaced the old brick capitol, was designed by Joseph M. Huston, and erected, 1902-1906. It was dedicated on October 4, 1906, in the term of Governor Samuel W. Pennypacker. — Map (db m6770) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Strawberry Square Phase I
Phase I of Strawberry Square represents the birth of downtown Harrisburg's revitalization and renewal activity that commenced in the mid 1970's and was pursued with fervor in the 1980's and since. The demolition of the renowned Penn-Harris Hotel at N. Third and Walnut Streets in 1973 came to symbolize Harrisburg's worsening economic condition and depressed state of affairs. The Hotel was an elegant 400-room facility that hosted major national and international figures and celebrities. The . . . — Map (db m6747) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Strawberry Square Phase II
This block of historic buildings traces a glimpse of Harrisburg's 19th and 20th Century retail development. Restored as Phase II of the Strawberry Square shopping complex in the late 1980's and part of the Old Downtown Harrisburg Commercial Historic District, these buildings range in varying styles and periods with the earlier development falling along N. Third Street with its quaint restored storefronts, and the later more intensively developed edifices on Market Street. Buildings of note . . . — Map (db m6655) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Sunken Gardens
Throughout the 19th Century, lumbering on the Susquehanna River was a major industry. Logs were cut from the forests in the northern part of the state and floated down river to sawmills at Harrisburg and points further south. a popular place where the loggers stopped to recreate was the "Hardscrabble" neighborhood, located between Herr and Calder Streets on the west side of Front Street. Here thrived boat liveries and related businesses catering to the river trade. However, with the decline of . . . — Map (db m6285) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Swenson Plaza Flood Memorial
The enlargement and beautification of Swenson Plaza, completed in 1999, was proposed and initiated by Mayor Stephen R. Reed during ceremonies marking the 25th anniversary of Harrisburg's devastating 1972 Flood caused by Tropical Storm Agnes. As a riverfront gathering place and pedestrian gateway to Harrisburg and City Island, Swenson Plaza and the historic People's Bridge stand as reminders of this community's resilience and civic pride. To those whose leadership, service and courage are . . . — Map (db m6369) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Sylvan Heights Mansion
"The Acropolis of Harrisburg" is a way in which to describe this Greek Revival, temple-like edifice that rests on a mound of retaining walls jutting from Allison Hill. Although these walls are relatively recent, built when the structure was converted to the home of Harrisburg's YWCA in 1998, the building has always been a curiosity in architectural style and unusual bluff-edge setting. Its original portion was built by John H. Brant )1810-1882), who came to Harrisburg around 1830. Brant . . . — Map (db m6830) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — T. Morris Chester
Journalist, educator, lawyer. Born here, 1834. Taught in Liberia, 1857-61. Recruited Black soldiers in Civil War; noted as war correspondent. In Europe for freedmen's aid; was admitted to the English bar in 1870. Held major posts in Louisiana, 1873-83. Died nearby, 1892. — Map (db m6658) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Technical High School & Old City Hall
Erected in 1910 and designed by noted Harrisburg architect Charles Howard Lloyd, this building served as the main boy's high school of the City of Harrisburg. Known as the Technical High School, the building replaced, on the same site, the Lancasterian School, later known as the DeWitt School, which was the oldest public school in Harrisburg having opened in 1830. "Old Tech" graduated many of Harrisburg's finest citizens who went on to form the "Tech Golden Legion" of devoted alumni. the . . . — Map (db m6691) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — The Calder/Olmsted/McCormick Mansion
The origins of the mansion at 105 N. Front Street can be attributed to William Calder, Jr. (1821-1880), Simon Cameron's business partner, banker and manufacturer. Calder's father had been a preeminent Harrisburg stage coach operator and helped to establish Harrisburg's importance as a transportation center as the nucleus of early route development throughout the U.S. northeast. Calder Jr. was co-founder and president of the Harrisburg Car Works, president of the First National Bank of . . . — Map (db m6341) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — The Civic Club of Harrisburg
This building, one of only two to survive on the west side of Front Street and ensconced within the idyllic setting of Riverfront Park, was erected between 1901 and 1903 by William Reynolds Fleming as a single family home which he named "Overlook." Fleming was one of the founders of the internationally known and Harrisburg area-headquartered engineering firm of Gannett Fleming, Inc. Designed in the half-timbered, English Tudor style, the house was willed to the Civic Club of Harrisburg upon the . . . — Map (db m6329) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — The Claster Building
This building was erected in 1920 for the offices of the Pennsylvania Public Services Commission and was one of the first buildings in downtown Harrisburg intended to be leased for state offices. Originally known as the Claster Building, having been built by local merchant Henry C. Claster, the structure replaced the "footprint" of the earlier Board of Trade Building erected on the same site in the 1890's as Harrisburg further evolved as a major industrial, commercial and financial center in . . . — Map (db m6604) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — The Crowne Plaza
The current era of hostelries in Harrisburg can be defined as having begun in 1965 with the construction of the Holiday Inn Town, now The Crowne Plaza. Prior to that time, the Harrisburger and Penn-Harris Hotels, at Third and Locust and Third and Walnut Streets respectively, were the city's two principal hotels, both facing Capitol Park. The Harrisburger would close by 1968 and the Penn-Harris demolished in 1973. the Holiday Inn town prevailed as the first newly constructed lodging facility . . . — Map (db m6561) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — The Episcopal Cathedral Church of St. Stephen & Cathedral House
Although the Founder of Harrisburg, John Harris, Jr., was a member of the Church of England, it was not until 1826 that a permanent Episcopal church building was erected here. Consecrated on St. John's Day, 1827, by Bishop William White, who was First Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church, Rector of Christ Church, Philadelphia, and Chaplain of the Continental Congress, what was known as St. Stephen's Protestant Episcopal Church retains to this day its original Gothic Revival-styled exterior. . . . — Map (db m6333) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — The Harrisburg Cotton Factory and The Central YMCA
Founded in 1844 in London, England, by George Williams, the Young Men's Christian Association quickly grew in the United States with Harrisburg, in 1854, being one of the first eight cities in the nation to establish a chapter. Located at various sites in the downtown during the last half of the 19th Century, the YMCA erected its first headquarters building in 1902 at the southwest corner of Second and Locust Streets. By 1931, the "Y" had outgrown that building and a year later completed the . . . — Map (db m6732) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — The John Crain Kunkel and Katherine Smoot Kunkel Memorial
In memory of U.S. Congressman John Crain Kunkel and Katherine Smoot Kunkel for their many years of service and dedication to the community. — Map (db m6300) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — The Johnston Building & Menaker Building
1906 was a banner year in Harrisburg for the construction of major buildings. The new State Capitol Building was completed that year and two "book-end" office structures were developed on Market Square. One was the eight-story Union Trust Building at N. Second and Strawberry Streets, dubbed as Harrisburg's first skyscraper. The other, first known as the Johnston Building, is located here at S. Second and Blackberry Streets. Originally only four stories in height, the Johnston Building was built . . . — Map (db m6560) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — The Jones House
On this site, the southeast corner of Second and Market Streets on Market Square, stood the Jones House, a mid-Nineteenth Century Hotel, which later evolved into the larger Commonwealth Hotel and later, the Dauphin Building. It was here that Abraham Lincoln stopped on February 22, 1861, en-route to his inauguration in Washington DC. The President-Elect greeted and spoke to city residents in the Square and went by carriage to the State Capitol Building to address the Pennsylvania Legislature as . . . — Map (db m6550) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — The Marcus Reno Residence and Governors’ Home
In the house at 223 N. Front Street lived two 19th Century Pennsylvania Governors, William Bigler (1852-1855) and James Pollock (1855-1858). Also here resided U.S. Army Major Marcus Reno, the controversial survivor of the Battle of Little Big Horn, site of "Custer's Last Stand." Jacob Haldeman, early Harrisburg industrialist and founder of the Borough of New Cumberland, built the Federal-styled house circa 1841-1845 for his daughter and son-in-law, Robert Ross, who has risen through the ranks . . . — Map (db m6330) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — The Obelisk
The soldiers and sailors of Harrisburg and Dauphin County who gave their lives during the Civil War were commemorated with the 1866 start-up of construction of the Obelisk in the center of the downtown intersection of N. Second and State Streets. Potentially inspired by the Capitol Mall setting of the Washington Monument, under construction at the same time in the District of Columbia, the Obelisk was positioned midway and symmetrically between the Old State Capitol Building and the Susquehanna . . . — Map (db m6729) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — The Old Executive, Library & Museum Building
By the late 1880's, the Old Capitol Building erected in 1822 was becoming limited in space due to the inevitable expansion of state government. A public debate ensued as to whether a new Capitol should be erected, although many had a sentimental attachment to the old building and its Federal architecture, which had seen so much history throughout the 19th Century. As a compromise, a new building, to house the State Library and the display of the Commonwealth's cherished Civil War battle flags, . . . — Map (db m6746) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — The Old Waterworks
The development and evolution of Harrisburg's early public works infrastructure is captured through the unique Riverfront Park setting of the Old Waterworks, the original stone portion of which was constructed in 1841. At that time water was pumped by this facility directly from the Susquehanna River to the City's first reservoir located just east on North Street where the Commonwealth Keystone State Office Building now stands. The distinctive octagonal base of the stone structure on Front . . . — Map (db m6736) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — The Peanut House(The Zimmerman House) — 1812-1991
On this site for nearly 180 years stood a two and a-half story brick building with ties to local, state and national history. Initially the home of early settler John Frey, the house was sold in 1817 to a noted clockmaker, Frederick Heisley, whose son George is linked to the National Anthem. George Heisley, during the War of 1812, was a member of Pennsylvania's First Regiment. At the siege of Fort McHenry in Baltimore, September 1814, he reportedly provided Francis Scott Key with music for the . . . — Map (db m6574) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — The Pennsylvania State Capitol
The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission declares The Pennsylvania State Capitol A Commonwealth Treasure for all to protect and preserve as a vital architectural and artistic monument to government by and for all Pennsylvanians. — Map (db m6772) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — The People’s BridgeVehicular Era - 1889 to 1972
Now the oldest bridge across the Susquehanna River, the People's Bridge was constructed in 1889 utilizing the Baltimore Truss and Phoenix Column in its innovative cast-iron design. It was erected by the People's Bridge Company, organized by the renowned Harrisburg civic leader E.Z. Wallower, as a low-cost alternative to the nearby Camelback Bridge (replaced by the current Market Street Bridge) which has enjoyed a monopoly in fare-paying bridge traffic since 1816. Carrying horse-drawn vehicles, . . . — Map (db m6370) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — The People’s BridgeLandmark Era - Since 1972
Built to pre-automobile specifications before the turn of the 20th Century, the People's Bridge by mid century earned the nickname, "Old Shakey," because of the noisy vibrations of its cast-iron superstructure under an ever-increasing volume of traffic. It was closed to all but pedestrian and bicycle traffic after 1972, when it was severely weakened by the Hurricane Agnes Flood. In January 1996, a major ice flood destroyed three of the bridges western spans. The immediate outpouring of public . . . — Map (db m6371) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — The State Museum of Pennsylvania
Since its creation in 1905, The State Museum of Pennsylvania has collected, preserved, researched, and interpreted the cultural and natural history of the state. Over the years, the museum has greatly expanded its collections and modernized its public offerings to serve the needs of succeeding generations of Pennsylvanians. First located next to the Capitol, the museum moved here in 1964. It became part of the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission in 1945. — Map (db m6742) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Tracy Mansion
The notable Tudor Revival-styled edifice situated at the southeast corner of N. Front and Muench Streets well exemplifies the grand Front Street mansions of the early 20th Century that would rise north of Forster Street. The house was built in 1917 for David E. Tracy (1867-1923) who was one of the founders in the 1890's of the Harrisburg Pipe and Pipe Bending Company and who is memorialized by Tracy Hall at Harrisburg's Bishop McDevitt High School. Although the company's initial business was . . . — Map (db m6250) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — U.S. Colored Troops Grand Review
Excluded from a May 1865 "Grand Review of the Armies" in Wash., DC, U.S. Colored Troops from Penna. and Mass. regiments assembled here at State and Filbert Sts. on Nov. 14, 1865 for a parade honoring their courage during the Civil War. Grand Marshal T. Morris Chester led them through Harrisburg to Sen. Simon Cameron's Front St. home to be gratefully acknowledged. Octavius Catto, William Howard Day, Gen. JB Kiddoo, & the Rev. Stephen Smith spoke. — Map (db m6773) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Underground Railroad
Harrisburg's prominent role in the advance of the Union cause leading to the Civil War was particularly evident by its sympathy in harboring former slaves who had escaped servitude from the South. As early as 1836, the Harrisburg Anti-Slavery Society was founded. So influential was the group that it brought noted reformers William Lloyd Garrison and Frederick Douglas to hold a rally at the Dauphin County Courthouse in 1847. During this period, Harrisburg became a key station in the "Underground . . . — Map (db m6688) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Underground Railroad
In the 1850's this area, known as Tanner's Alley, was important on the Underground Railroad. Fugitive slaves hid at Joseph Bustill's & William Jones's houses, a block apart. Frederick Douglass & William Lloyd Garrison spoke at Wesley Union AME Zion Church nearby. — Map (db m6693) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Union Trust Building
Touted as "Harrisburg's First Skyscraper," the Union Trust Building was completed in 1906 and exemplified the beginning of Center City's 20th Century upward growth, particularly as spawned by the completion of the new State Capitol Building that year. It marked the growth of the city as a major financial center, a role that has expanded in present day. This building and the Capitol were both erected by the same general contractor, the Philadelphia firm of George F. Payne & Co. rising an . . . — Map (db m6607) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Walnut Place
Located just across N. Fourth Street from Strawberry Square is Walnut Place, a slice of old downtown Harrisburg comprised of a series of late 19th and early 20th Century restored buildings and storefronts. Pictured here is the Rodearmel/German House, situated on the southeast corner of N. Fourth and Walnut Street, and a neighboring structure, both erected circa 1855 as single-family homes. the corner property's first floor was later converted to a drug store as shown in this photo when this . . . — Map (db m6694) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Walnut Street Bridge
This bridge, completed in 1890, is the oldest surviving structure to have spanned the Susquehanna River and is one of the largest multi-span, truss bridges ever fabricated by the nationally significant Phoenix Bridge Company. It is also the oldest metal span bridge of its type in the U.S. and is one of the most visible bridges in the country to preserve the technology of the company's patented Phoenix column. Originally known as the "People's Bridge" because of its lower fee to cross, the . . . — Map (db m6372) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Walnut Street Bridge
Oldest surviving bridge over the Susquehanna. Opened by the People's Bridge Co. in 1890. "Old Shakey," one of the last remaining multi-span Phoenix truss bridges, was a toll bridge until 1957. Flood damage, 1972, closed it to automobiles. Three of its 15 spans were destroyed, 1996. — Map (db m7104) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts
Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts, which opened September 9, 1999, is the successful culmination of decades worth of community effort to develop a major performing arts and science center in downtown Harrisburg. The resources which were brought to bear at the local and state levels and in the public and private sectors resulted in the first facility of its type in the United States where education, science and the performing arts take place under one roof. Whitaker Center occupies the . . . — Map (db m6654) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Wildwood Lake Sanctuary
Here at the base of Blue Mountain and within the City of Harrisburg's northern tier lies the 212-acre Wildwood Lake Sanctuary, the last vestige and magnificent preserve of the Susquehanna flood-plain wetlands which at one time were common prior to the filling of land for the development of Harrisburg. As early as 1901, the emerging plans of Harrisburg's City Beautiful Movement called for the establishment of a great park at what had been traditionally known as Wetzel's Swamp, a park that would . . . — Map (db m7101) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Wildwood Park
Inspired by 'City Beautiful' advocates Horace McFarland and Mira Lloyd Dock, Wildwood Park opened its first trails in 1907. The largest of several Harrisburg parks designed in 1901 by leading horticulturist Warren Manning, it was part of a nationwide movement to enhance recreation, nature preservation and flood control in urban areas. Formerly Wetzel's Swamp, this Dauphin County park provides both educational and recreational opportunities. — Map (db m7106) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — William Maclay
In the stone house opposite lived William Maclay, who as a member of the first U.S. Senate, wrote a famous Journal of its debates. A critic of Washington and Hamilton. Pioneer leader of Jeffersonian Democracy. — Map (db m6290) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — William Maclay Mansion
Situated across this street is the home of William Maclay (1737-1804); statesman, surveyor, lawyer, the Country's first U.S. Senator and son-in-law of John Harris Jr., the founder of Harrisburg. It was Maclay and Harris who laid out the plan of Harrisburg in 1785 with the northern boundary, ironically, at South street. North of this point was located Maclay's farm and land known as Maclaysburg situated between the River and the hill where the Old Capitol would be constructed in 1822. Maclay's . . . — Map (db m6291) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — William Maclay, Esq.1736 - 1804
Buried here is the first U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania. In 1789, he and Robert Morris were the first from the Keystone State to be elected to the Senate of the United States. — Map (db m6828) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Zembo Shrine Temple
The growth in the activities and membership of the Harrisburg Masonic Shriners had by the end of the 1920's, resulted in the demand for a grand new facility. The emergence of Italian Lake Park, William Penn High School and the establishment of Polyclinic Hospital on N. Third Street had aesthetically transformed the northern end of Harrisburg into a place of prestige and beauty. To punctuate this beauty would be the rise of the Zembo Shrine Temple, between 1928 and 1930, the design of which . . . — Map (db m6482) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Zion Lutheran Church
"Tippecanoe and Tyler Too" was the familiar political slogan of the 1839 Presidential Campaign. The Campaign began when William Henry Harrison and John Tyler were nominated as the Whig candidates for U.S. President and Vice President in this church, now altered from its original appearance. The Whig Convention here made Harrisburg the smallest city to ever host a U.S. presidential convention. Both men won and both eventually became President. The congregation of Zion Lutheran Church has been . . . — Map (db m6662) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Heckton — Village of HecktonFormerly Althea Grove
Named for Dr. Lewis Heck - Born 1810 - Died 1890 - Reared in Shippensburg, Dr. Heck settled here in 1832. He practiced medicine and served as a Representative in the Pennsylvania General Assembly during the Civil War. He also operated a large steam sawmill nearby from 1843 until 1890. Dr. Heck died on August 26, 1890 and is buried in the Riverview Cemetery east of here. — Map (db m12507) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Chocolate Workers' Sit-Down Strike
Hershey's Chocolate Workers Local 1 (CIO) responded to a labor-management impasse on April 2, 1937 by initiating the first sit-down strike in Pennsylvania and in the confectionery industry. The strike was ended by strike-breaking violence and government mediation. The union lost two subsequent representative elections. In 1939 workers affiliated with the Bakery & Confectionery Workers Local 464 (AFL). — Map (db m7135) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Derry Church
Founded in 1729; the first pastor, William Bertram, installed in 1732 by Donegal Presbytery. Its grove was patented to it by the sons of William Penn in 1741. The churchyard is the oldest pioneer graveyard in this region. — Map (db m7155) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Derry Church School (1844-1904)
Born in Derry Township, Milton S. Hershey (1857 - 1945) attended this one-room schoolhouse during the winter of 1863-1864. Built in 1844, this was the first of seven schools he attended before apprenticing to a Lancaster, PA. candy maker at age 14. After business failures in Philadelphia and New York, Hershey realized success with his third venture, the Lancaster Caramel Co. (est. 1886). The Hershey Chocolate Company was established in 1894. Hershey broke ground for a new chocolate factory and . . . — Map (db m7139) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Derry Churchyard
Oldest pioneer graveyard in Dauphin County. Here, near Pastors William Bertram and John Roan, lie heroes of the French and Indian Wars and the Revolution; and Colonel John Rodgers, a signer of the Hanover Resolves in 1774. — Map (db m7157) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Derry Session House and Enclosure
Has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. c.1732 — Map (db m7156) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Hershey
Model industrial town and noted tourism destination established in 1903 and named for its founder, Milton S. Hershey (1857 - 1945). Hershey's companies developed housing, recreation, education, and cultural facilities, financial institutions, public utilities, a transit system, and the world's largest chocolate factory that opened in June, 1905. — Map (db m7134) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Milton S. Hershey(1857 - 1945)
Entrepreneur and philanthropist born here September 13, 1857. Founded Lancaster Caramel Company in 1886 and Hershey Chocolate Company in 1894; introduced milk chocolate in 1900. Developed Hershey as a model town and home of the world's largest chocolate factory. With his wife, Catherine Sweeney, he founded the Milton Hershey School in 1909 and endowed it with his personal fortune. — Map (db m7137) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Pennsylvania State Police
First uniformed state police force of its kind in the nation, created by an Act of the General Assembly May 2, 1905, signed by Governor Samuel Pennypacker. The force was formed in response to concern over labor and capital unrest, especially the Anthracite Coal Strike of 1902. At this site the State Police established its first training academy in 1924. Cadets were trained here for 36 years until a new academy was built north of Hershey. — Map (db m31300) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — The Homestead
Milton S. Hershey was born here on September 13, 1857. The house was built by his great-grandfather, Isaac Hershey, in 1826. Milton S. Hershey purchased The Homestead in 1897 and lived there with his wife Catherine from 1905 to 1908. The building served as the home and school for the first four boys who were enrolled in 1910. Today, The Homestead serves as headquarters for alumni activities and records, including student grants for continuing education. — Map (db m7138) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Union Canal
At Union Deposit, just to the north, can be seen the remains of the canal. It united the Susquehanna at Middletown with the Schuylkill at Reading. Suggested by William Penn, the canal was surveyed 1762, in use by 1828, abandoned in 1885. — Map (db m7158) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Wilt Chamberlain's Scoring Record
In a basketball game played here on March 2, 1962, Philadelphia Warrior center Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points against the New York Knicks - a record for points scored by a single player in any National Basketball Association game. The Warriors won the game, 169 - 147, in front of 4,124 fans. During that season, Chamberlain set other records by averaging 50.4 points per game and by scoring more than 50 points in each of 45 games. — Map (db m31299) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Highspire — Col. James Burd
Tinian, home of Col. Burd, is still standing on the opposite hill. Burd was road-builder of Braddock's expedition. French and Indian War commandant at Fort Augusta. Patriot and a soldier in the Revolution. — Map (db m11428) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Hummelstown Brownstone Quarries
High quality brownstone was quarried near here 1863-1929, and sold across the nation as a preferred masonry material of builders. The Hummelstown Brownstone Company, founded by Allen Walton, employed immigrant skilled stonecutters and laborers in its quarries. — Map (db m7132) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Linglestown — Barnett's Fort
North at the head of Beaver Creek, Joseph Barnett's loghouse was a frontier refuge in 1756-63 against Indians raiding the frontier. His son William was stolen by Indians in 1756 and not recovered until 1763 by Col. Henry Bouquet. — Map (db m31296) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Linglestown — Patton's Fort
Nearby stood Patton's Fort, a station of the Paxton Rangers, who defended the gaps and farmsteads along the Blue Mountains from the Susquehanna River to Swatara Creek, near Indiantown, against Indian raids from 1756 to 1763. — Map (db m31295) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Lykens — GAR Building
Built 1852 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m9508) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Middletown — "Sant Peter's Kierch"
Cornerstone laid July 13, 1767, and dedicated in 1769 by Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, patriarch of American Lutheranism. Church erected on ground provided by George Fisher, the founder of Middletown, for annual rental of "one grain of wheat." — Map (db m7167) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Middletown — Burd Tombs
Col. James Burd of "Tinian", able and gallant officer in the colonial wars, author of the Middletown Resolves for Independence, June 1774, and wife, Sarah Shippen, lie buried near the entrance of Middletown Cemetery. — Map (db m7163) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Middletown — Camp George Gordon Meade
Covering three square miles, the former Camp Meade was situated a half mile to the northwest. Named for famed Civil War General, it was opened during the Spanish-American War and visited by President William McKinley on August 27, 1898. — Map (db m7164) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Middletown — Middletown
The oldest town in Dauphin County; laid out in 1755 by George Fisher, Quaker. It was an important port at the junction of the Pennsylvania and Union Canals in the 19th century. Site of early flour, lumber, and iron industries. — Map (db m7165) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Middletown — Nuclear Accident at Three Mile Island
On March 28, 1979, and for several days thereafter — as a result of technical malfunctions and human error — Three Mile Island's Unit 2 Nuclear Generating Station was the scene of the nation’s worst commercial nuclear accident. Radiation was released, a part of the nuclear core was damaged, and thousands of residents evacuated the area. Events here would cause basic changes throughout the world’s nuclear power industry. — Map (db m900) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Middletown — Revolutionary War Monument
Erected by Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the Swatara-Pine Ford Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution This tablet is in commemoration of the services of Revolutionary War soldiers buried at Middletown or immediate vicinity. This marker is dedicated in grateful recognition of their patriotism, valor and fidelity. — Map (db m7171) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Middletown — Union Canal
This canal was operated from 1828-1884. It connected the Susquehanna at Middletown with the Schuylkill at Reading, following the Swatara and Tulpehocken Creeks. Much coal and iron ore were transported. Course of canal was just west of old mill race. — Map (db m7166) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Millersburg — Civil War Soldiers MonumentGovernors Island Cannon — Historic Millersburg
The G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic) Post 212 and the Millersburg Sentinel together raised the money to have a Civil War monument erected. The soldier and the base were quarried and cut in Italy. The soldier stands 6 feet and weighs 900 pounds. The overall height with base is 14 feet, 6 inches. The bronze plate bears the names of the 126 men who served in the Civil War. The total cost of the monument was $740.00 and the cost to ship from Italy as $55.00. The soldier arrived in Millersburg in . . . — Map (db m12497) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Millersburg — Daniel Miller Memorial Fountain — Historic Millersburg
After the 1907 Centennial celebration, the committee decided to use the money that was left after the bills were paid to erect a memorial to Daniel Miller, founder of Millersburg. After the design of a granite fountain was agreed upon, the committee placed an order with the Barre Granite Company of Barre, Vermont. They were to cut the separate parts of the fountain and J.S. Heckert & Son were to assemble the parts and construct the memorial. Where to put the memorial was debated for almost a . . . — Map (db m12500) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Millersburg — Millersburg Ferry
The only surviving ferry service across the Susquehanna began as early as 1825. Boats were poled by manpower until 1873, when the first paddlewheeler was acquired. In the 1920's, gasoline engines replaced steam power, and the paddlewheels were shifted from the side to the stern. The ferry landing is a short distance west. — Map (db m12502) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Millersburg — The Music Pavilion / Gazebo — Historic Millersburg
In July 1891, a group of men, realizing the need of the town, formed a committee to have a music stand or pavilion built for the community. The structure was to have several purposes after construction. It would be used by various musical organizations for open air concerts, public meetings and religious services on the sabbath. The original design was drawn by W.E. Douden, a local architect. The cost of construction was to be paid for by public subscription. Both local newspapers, the Herald . . . — Map (db m12501) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Skyline View — Union Canal
At Union Deposit, five miles south, can be seen remains of this canal. It connected the Susquehanna at Middletown with the Schuylkill at Reading. Suggested by William Penn, the canal was surveyed in 1762. Completed in 1828; abandoned in 1885. — Map (db m31298) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Steelton — William Howard Day(1825 - 1900)
Abolitionist, minister, orator, editor, educator. Born in New York City; traveled in the U.S., Canada, and Britain on behalf of antislavery and free Blacks. General Secretary, A.M.E. Zion Church. Lived after 1870 in Harrisburg, where he edited the newspaper "Our National Progress". The first African American elected to the Harrisburg School Board, in 1878; its president, 1891-93. Burial in Lincoln Cemetery. — Map (db m7161) HM
194 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 210 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.