Normandale was named for Norman W. Dodge, one of seven sons of William E. Dodge, for whom Dodge County was named in 1870. The home of over 500 people, Normandale was headquarters of the Dodge Land & Lumber Company which was established after the . . . — Map (db m57283) HM
This County created by Act of the Legislature Oct. 26, 1870, is named for William E. Dodge, a New York lumberman who owned large areas of the forest lands and who persuaded Congress to remove taxation from “the great staple of our . . . — Map (db m57197) HM
On May 4, 1865, Jefferson Davis arrived in Washington, Georgia (132 miles NE, where he performed what proved to be his last duties as President of the Confederate States of America. Shortly thereafter, with a small staff and escort, he departed . . . — Map (db m57175) HM
Eastman’s first public school, serving both elementary and high school students, opened on this site in 1898. A second building was added in 1904. In 1946, financed through individual and community contributions, the school was remodeled.
In . . . — Map (db m57232) HM
Albert G. Williamson, a Dodge County entrepreneur, donated land for a burial place in Orphans community following the death of a neighbor’s child, George
P.A. Barnes, in 1887. The community was named in honor of the six orphaned Williamson brothers . . . — Map (db m8463) HM
In 1937 W.S. and Ethel Stuckey opened the first Pecan Shoppe at this location. That began the introduction of the pecan, Ethel`s candy and the distinctive blue-roofed shoppe to the motoring public.
Today, a Stuckey`s can be found in nearly . . . — Map (db m9722) HM
At this point the highway was originally known as the Blackshear Road. It was planned and cut out in 1815 by Major Elijah Blackshear and a company of Georgia Volunteer Militia. This road gained fame as the alternative route used by General David . . . — Map (db m14295) HM
This house, constructed in 1872, is the oldest house in Eastman. In 1868, William Pitt Eastman founded the 400,000 acre Georgia Land and Lumber Company. Upon learning in 1870 that Station No. 13 along the Macon and Brunswick Railroad had been named . . . — Map (db m57331) HM