HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Dona Ana County Markers
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Anthony — Brazito Battlefield
One of the few battles of the Mexican War to be fought in New Mexico occured near here on Christmas Day, 1846. U.S. troops under Colonel Alexander W. Doniphan defeated a Mexican army commanded by General Antonio Ponce de León. Two days later, Doniphan entered El Paso without opposition. — Map (db m6552) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Anthony — Butterfield Trail/Espejo's Expedition/On the Camino Real
Stagecoaches of the Butterfield Overland Mail Co. began carrying passengers and mail from St. Louis to San Francisco, across southern New Mexico, in 1858. The 2,795-mile journey took 21-22 days. In 1861 the service was re-routed through Salt Lake City. Here the trail followed the Rio Grande northward to La Mesilla. [other side] Trying to locate two Franciscan friars, Antonio de Espejo in 1582 led an expedition up the Rio Grande near here. The two friars had remained among the Tiwa . . . — Map (db m6553) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Anthony — Oñate’s Route On the Camino Real
Juan de Oñate, first governor of New Mexico, passed near here with his colonizing expedition in May, 1598. Traveling north, he designated official campsites (called parajes) on the Camino Real, used by expeditions that followed. In Oñate's caravan were 129 men, many with their families and servants. [side 2] El Camino Real The King's Highway The oldest historical road in the United States, running over 2000 miles from Mexico City to Taos. Parts of the Camino Real were used by . . . — Map (db m6549) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Dona Ana — Bartlett GarciaContinental Survey Point
On April 24, 1851, John Russell Bartlett for the United States and Pedro Garcia-Conde for the Republic of Mexico, erected near here a monument designating 32° 22’ north latitude on the Rio Grande as the initial point for the official survey of the U.S. – Mexico boundary. After the Gadsden Purchase of 1853, the international boundary was moved south and the former Mexican lands were ceded to the U.S. — Map (db m38177) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Dona Ana — Doña Ana(On the Camino Real)
This site, named after the legendary women, Doña Ana, is first mentioned as a paraje along the Camino Real. Spanish rested near here as they retreated from New Mexico following the Pueblo Revolt of 1680. The community was founded in 1843 as the Doña Ana Bend Colony Grant. Today both the village and the historic Catholic Church, Nuestra Senora De Purificacion, are on the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m38178) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Dona Ana — Doña Ana (1604–1680)
The name of the county of Doña Ana originates from Doña Ana Robledo (1604–1680) who died near here while fleeing south with other settlers during the 1680 Pueblo Revolt. She was buried below the peak that now bears her surname in the Robledo Mountains, so named in memory of her grandfather who was buried their in 1598. — Map (db m38176) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Dona Ana — Shalam Colony1884-1901
In 1884, Shalam Colony was established on the banks of the Rio Grande near the village of Doña Ana by John Ballou Newbrough and a group of Utopian followers called Faithists. Newbrough’s “Book of Shalam" set forth a plan for gathering the outcast and orphaned children of the world and raising them to be the spiritual leaders of a new age. Shalam Colony was closed in 1901. — Map (db m38199) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Hatch — HatchPopulation 1,028  -  Elevation 4,055
Originally established as Santa Barbara in 1851, Apache raids drove the settlers away until 1853 when nearby Fort Thorn was established. Abandoned again in 1860 after the fort closed, it was reoccupied in 1875 and re-named for General Edward Hatch, then Commander of the New Mexico Military District. — Map (db m24745) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — America's First Battle of World War II: The Philippines
For America, WWII began of December 7, 1941, with the attack on Pearl Harbor, the first of Japan's day-long assault on locations throughout the Pacific. Major American installations on Luzon, the largest island of the Philippines, were also devastated; so began America's first great battle of WWII. The Japanese began their amphibious invasion of Luzon two weeks after the attack. By January 1942, American and Filipino Armies were pushed south towards the Bataan Peninsula. Wracked with . . . — Map (db m38286) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Civil War Battle of Mesilla & Major Lynde's RetreatJuly 24-27, 1861
On July 24, 1861, Lt. Col. John Robert Baylor led 300 men consisting of two companies of the Second Texas Mounted Rifles, a Texas light-artillery company without its howitzers, an El Paso County scout company, and some civilian from Fort Bliss to Fort Fillmore, New Mexico Territory. The Texans reached the vicinity of Fort Fillmore at night and placed themselves between the fort and its water supply at the river. Baylor cancelled a planned attack after learning that one of his men had . . . — Map (db m38266) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Doña Ana County Courthouse
County Seat Las Cruces, New Mexico Built 1937 — Map (db m38150) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Fort Selden State Monument1865-1891
Fort Selden was established to protect settlers and railroad construction crews in the Mesilla Valley and the Jornada del Muerto from Apaches. The first regular army troops to garrison it were four companies of the black 125th Infantry. General Douglas MacArthur spent two years of his childhood here. The Fort was finally abandoned in 1891. — Map (db m45085) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Heroes of BataanThe New Mexico Story
More than fourteen hundred New Mexicans fought with the 200th Coast Artillery (CAC) Regiment defending the Philippines and the Bataan Peninsula at the beginning of World War II. The regiment received the Presidential Distinguished Unit Citation with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters for its heroic performance during the battle. The War Department cited the 200th CAC as 'the best anti-aircraft regiment in the United States Army' before the war started. General Jonathan Wainwright, the 200th superior . . . — Map (db m38293) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Jornada del MuertoOn the Camino Real
This stretch of the Camino Real leaves the Ríó Grande and cuts across 90 miles of desert with little water or shelter. Despite its difficulty, the dreaded “Journey of the Deadman” was heavily used by Spanish, Mexican, and Anglo travelers between El Paso and the northern New Mexico settlements. — Map (db m45083) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — La Mesilla
On November 16, 1854, a detachment from nearby Fort Fillmore raised the U.S. flag here confirming the Gadsden Purchase; thus the Gadsden territory was officially recognized as part of the United States. In 1858, the Butterfield stage began its run through Mesilla. During the Civil War, Mesilla was the capital of Confederate Arizona Territory. — Map (db m38149) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Las Cruces on the Camino RealPopulation 74,267 -- Elevation 3,909
In 1849, following the Mexican War, fields were first broken in Las Cruces. The town became a flourishing stop on the Camino Real, deriving its name, "The Crosses", from the marking of graves of victims of an Apache attack. Las Cruces since 1881 has been the county seat of Doña Ana County. — Map (db m60679) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Nike Hercules Missile
Anti-aircraft missiles like this Nike Hercules once stood guard around many major U.S. cities and facilities during the Cold War. They were capable of knocking down high-flying, fast-moving bombers with high-explosive warheads or, equipped with a nuclear warhead, destroying a whole formation of attacking enemy airplanes with one missile. The Nike Hercules is typical of weapon systems tested at White Sands Missile Range from many launched complexes stretching east from here. It was . . . — Map (db m38295) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Paraje San Diego
This paraje, or stopping place, provided travelers along the Camino Real with a final opportunity to water their stock and prepare their caravans before leaving the Rio Grande Valley and entering the desolate Jornada del Muerto. Caravans on their way to Santa Fe started in the evening and traveled non-stop until they reached the Paraje de Fra Cristobal 100 miles to the north. — Map (db m45084) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Pat Garrett Murder Site
Pat Garrett, the Lincoln County Sheriff who shot and killed William “Billy the Kid” Bonney at Fort Stanton in 1881, was himself murdered at a remote site nearby on February 29, 1908. Wayne Brazel, a local cowboy, confessed to shooting Garrett but was acquitted of all charges. The motive and circumstances surrounding Garrett's death are still being debated. — Map (db m73711) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Rio Grande
Marker Front: The Rio Grande (big river) has been an integral part of the history of New Mexico for thousands of years. Running through the entire state, it is both its backbone and lifeblood. It originates in the southern Rocky Mountains of Colorado and then forms the boundary between Texas and Mexico before spilling into the Gulf of Mexico. Over 1,800 miles long, it is one of the great rivers of the world. (Continued on opposite side) Marker Reverse: The Rio Grande has . . . — Map (db m67023) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Rio Grande Theatre1926 — City of Las Cruces
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Buildings By the United States Department Of the Interior — Map (db m38271) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — San Augustín Pass
Divide between the Tularosa Basin to the east and Jornada del Muerto to the west, cut between the Organ Mountains to the south and the San Augustin-San Andres Mountains to the north. White gypsum sands glisten to the northeast. Roadcuts are in Tertiary monzonite. Organ mines yielded copper, lead, silver, gold, zinc, and fluorite. Elevation 5,710 feet. — Map (db m38153) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Site of San Agustín Springs
Here on July 27, 1861, less than 300 Confederate troops intercepted 500 Union soldiers retreating from Fort Fillmore to Fort Stanton. Exhausted from the heat and famished for water, the Union troops straggled across the desert in a five-mile evacuation train. Unable to fight, Major Isaac Lynde surrendered his command without firing a single shot. — Map (db m38154) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Mesilla — All Servicemen and Women
In memory of: all Servicemen and Women of the Armed Forces who served their God and Country Dedicated July 4, 1957 by Ray McCorkle Post No. 3242 Veterans of Foreign Wars — Map (db m6989) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Mesilla — Butterfield Overland TrailSouth Central Region
Overland mail stage line, St. Louis to San Francisco 1858-1861 Forerunner to the Pony Express — Map (db m6987) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Mesilla — Doña Ana County Courthouse and Jail
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1850 — Map (db m26924) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Mesilla — Head Quarters, Dept. of New MexicoFort Fillmore, Nov. 15th, 1854
I. The laws of the United States having been extended by proclamation over the Mesilla Valley and the territory recently acquired from the Republic of Mexico, the undersigned as military Commander of the same directs that Lt. Colonel Miles 3rd Infantry proceed to the town of Mesilla, with a part of the garrison of Fort Fillmore, and there hoist the National Flag at noon on this day. II. The Flag will be honored with a Federal Salute. III. For the information of all concerned it is hereby . . . — Map (db m6991) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Mesilla — La Mesilla
After the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, which concluded the Mexican War in 1848, the Mexican government commissioned Cura Ramón Ortiz to settle Mesilla. He brought families from New Mexico and from Paso del Norte (modern Ciúdad Juárez) to populate the Mesilla Civil Colony Grant, which by 1850 had over 800 inhabitants. — Map (db m6986) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Mesilla — Plaza de Mesilla
Conservation made possible by grants from United States Department of Commerce Economic Development Administration New Mexico American Revolution Bicentennial Commission and by matching funds from the Town of Mesilla and individual contributions 1976~1977 — Map (db m6988) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Mesilla — The Gadsden Purchase Celebration
The Gadsden Purchase celebration held at Mesilla New Mexico in 1854.                         By A. J. Fountain Sr. Map (db m6992) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Radium Springs — Fort Selden Cemetery
Fort Selden was established nearby in 1865 to help protect the settlements of the Mesilla Valley and travelers along the Jornada del Muerto from Apache raids. The post cemetery was located in this field until the fort was abandoned in 1891. Military personnel were reinterred at the National Cemetery at Santa Fe. A number of unmarked graves in an adjacent potters field apparently still remain. — Map (db m38201) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Radium Springs — Jornada del MuertoOn the Camino Real
This stretch of the Camino Real leaves the Río Grande and cuts across 90 miles of desert with little water or shelter. Despite its difficulty, the dreaded “Journey of the Deadman” was heavily used by Spanish, Mexican, and Anglo travelers between El Paso and the northern New Mexico settlements. — Map (db m38205) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Radium Springs — Jornada del Muerto
High plains of the Jornada del Muerto, elevation 4,340 feet, lie 400 feet above the Rio Grande Valley. It is a transitional area from the Basin and Range region to the west into tilted mountain ranges, such as the San Andres Mountains to the east, flanked by broad alluvial and wind-blown basins. — Map (db m38206) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Radium Springs — Paraje de Robledo
This paraje or resting place was named for Pedro Robledo, a member of the Juan de Oñate expedition, who was buried nearby on May 21, 1598. This camping place was a welcome sight for caravans entering or exiting the dreaded Jornada del Muerto, a part of the trail which had limited water. Its strategic location along the Camino Real made it an ideal site for establishment of Fort Selden in 1865. — Map (db m38200) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Radium Springs — Paraje San Diego
This paraje, or stopping place, provided travelers along the Camino Real with a final opportunity to water their stock and prepare their caravans before leaving the Rio Grande Valley and entering the desolate Jornada del Muerto. Caravans on their way to Santa Fe started in the evening and traveled non-stop until they reached the Paraje de Fra Cristobal 100 miles to the north. — Map (db m38204) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Radium Springs — Rio Grandé Bridge at Radium Springs
This structure – one of the best surviving examples of timber and beam bridge construction in the state – was erected in 1933. The superstructure consists of 19 spans, each 25 feet in length. The roadway is 475 feet long. During the 1920s and 30s, timber beam bridges were an economical and easily maintained solution for crossing arroyos and waterways. Although the bridge no longer carries motorized traffic, it continues to serve pedestrians, bicyclists and equestrians. — Map (db m38202) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Rincon — Rincón
Rincón was originally named El Rincón de Fray Diego in honor of a 17th century Franciscan who died here. Established as a settlement called Thorne in 1881, it became Rincón in 1883. With the establishment of the Santa Fe Railroad, Rincón became the area’s main business and trading center. The line forked here, one line going west to Deming, the other south to El Paso. — Map (db m45082) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Sunland Park — El Paso Del Rio Del Norte
This canyon cut here by the Rio Grande marks the crossing of the historic Camino Real, or Royal Road, to La Tierra Adentra. Trackers and traders crossed the river here to begin the arduous journey north to Santa Fe. Permanent settlement of this area began with establishment of the Mission of Nuestra Senor de Guadalupe in 1659 in present day Ciudad Juarez. — Map (db m38103) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Sunland Park — International Boundary and Water CommissionInternational Boundary Marker #1
[English Translation Marker:] The first international monument of the 276 installed to the west along the international land boundary which marks the international boundary between the United States and Mexico. This monument was placed on January 31, 1855 in accordance with the 1853 treaty and was registered by the International Water and Commission between the United States and Mexico on June 2, 1980 in commemoration of the first centennial of the establishment of this . . . — Map (db m38105) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Valdo — Paraje de los Brazitos
Here the Camino Real between Santa Fe and El Paso passed along the eastern bank of the Rio Grande near a brazito, or small branch of the river that created a small island. At this paraje, or stopping place, American troops defeated a Mexican Army force on Christmas Day, 1846, in what was the only pitched battle of the Mexican War fought in present-day New Mexico. — Map (db m38148) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), White Sands — White Sands Missile RangeThe American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronatics Historic Aerospace Site
White Sands Proving Ground, as it was first called, is home to America’s first large-scale rocket and missile launch facilities. Established in 1945, the launching here of 67 V-2 rockets and many other vehicles propelled the United States into the Space Age. Scientists and military researchers learned to handle large rockets and improved the emerging technology. Vital experiments to learn about the nature of the upper atmosphere and the fringes of outer space were conducted here. Tests here . . . — Map (db m71526) HM WM
41 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 173 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.