|Wisconsin (Door County), Baileys Harbor — 8064 Hwy. 57|
Now known as the Hjertehjem Shop, Roger Eatough also built this original building, the south part, in 1885. The foundation of chipped stone is no longer visible. The original part was used as a drug store, furniture store, a mortuary, and the post office. Then Ernald Viste bought this building in the 1950s and added the north part to operate a hardware store, a realty and insurance office. Ernald Viste was town clerk for 51 years, so it often served to hold town board meetings. More . . . — Map (db m89936) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Baileys Harbor — 8068 Hwy. 57|
Nathan Nichols (the north building) was formerly two buildings, now connected, that were built by Roger Eatough (owner of the Globe Hotel). The little house in the rear was built as a residence and was built in 1890. The building to the north was built in 1879 and served as a drug store, a veterinary office and a bakery. It was also used by Chris Johnson as a barbershop with Dr. John, a dentist, upstairs. — Map (db m89938) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Baileys Harbor — August Zahn Residence 1912|
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior — Map (db m89940) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Baileys Harbor — Baileys Harbor Lower Range Light|
| This lower rangelight and the upper rangelight residence, 950 feet inland, were built by the U.S. Lighthouse Service in 1869. The upper rangelight also served as the lighthouse keepers residence and is 15 feet taller than the lower tower. this enabled ships entering the harbor to align the lights at night and the towers during the day preventing them from running aground on hidden reefs near the harbor entrance. The lanterns were originally fueled by lard or whale oil, then by kerosene and . . . — Map (db m39252) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Baileys Harbor — Baileys Harbor Town Marina|
|On the shores of beautiful Lake Michigan, Baileys Harbor was the first established village on the Door Peninsula. In 1848, Captain Justice Bailey was seeking refuge from a ferocious storm and came ashore in the sheltered harbor. Discovering abundant resources of limestone, pine, maple, and beech trees, Captain Bailey reported his find. Within the year, a small work force established a logging and mining industry beginning the long maritime history of Baileys Harbor.
Funding . . . — Map (db m74480) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Baileys Harbor — Schooner Christina Nilsson Historic Shipwreck Wisconsin's Maritime Trails|
Type: wooden schooner
Built: 1871, Hanson & Scove, Manitowoc, Wis.
Sank: Oct. 24, 1884
Cargoes: pig iron
Propulsion: sail, three-masted
Depth of wreckage: 15'
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.
The Christina Nilsson typifies the vast fleet of Great Lakes schooners built after the Civil War. Serving as the semi-trucks of their day, these vessels ferried bulk goods and cargoes throughout the Great . . . — Map (db m74261) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Baileys Harbor — War Memorial|
Dedicated to Those Who Served
This Community in All Wars
Baileys Harbor Lions Club — Map (db m75091) WM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Brussels — Well Site Tornado Memorial Park|
|During the fire of October 8, 1871, this well site was used by seven persons as a place of refuge. The last man to the well found the wood curb on fire. After tearing off the curb he entered the well and pulled a wet blanket over the opening. Five of the seven survived. — Map (db m39008) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Cana Island — Steamer Frank O'Connor Historic Shipwreck Wisconsin's Maritime Trails|
Type: wooden bulk carrier
Built: 1892 as City of Naples,
James Davidson, West Bay City, Mich.
Sank: Oct. 2, 1919
Length: 301' Beam 42.5'
Cargoes: grain, coal, and iron ore
Propulsion: triple-expansion steam engine; propeller
Depth [of wreckage]: 65'
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.
Location: 2.6 miles NNE of Cana Island, 2 seasonal mooring buoys mark the site, northern at bow, southern at engine
In 1892, the innovative shipbuilder . . . — Map (db m89957) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Egg Harbor — Halfway to the North Pole|
|The 45th parallel (45 Degrees North Latitude) runs through this wayside. This is the midpoint between the equator and North Pole. But because the Earth is slightly flattened at the poles, the distance from the 45th parallel to the North Pole is approximately 3117 miles and to the equator approximately 3105 miles.
Polaris (North Star) is directly above the North Pole. Therefore the angle between this point and Polaris is 45 degrees.
Door County Historical Society – 2000 — Map (db m26713) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Ellison Bay — The Hotz Estate|
|In 1917, Ferdinand Hotz of Chicago purchased 1,015 acres of land which later became Newport State Park. He thought this was the finest place on earth, and in 1919 he began building an estate that would include the log cabin, carriage house, and outhouse that you see here. The estate overlooked Europe Lake.
Under the careful stewardship of the Hotz family, the land recovered from the logging era. In 1967, the family began selling their land to the state of Wisconsin for Newport State Park. . . . — Map (db m74505) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Ephraim — Anderson Dock|
|Aslag Anderson, Norwegian born mill-wright, built this store and dock in 1858.
The dock served as the transportation center for this area from the sailing days through the steamship era in the 1920's.
On Anderson's death in 1892, two of his children, Adolph and Lizzie, took over the management of the store and dock. In 1952 the dock was acquired by the village. With the aid of the Ephraim Foundation, it was restored to its present condition.
This stone is erected in honor of . . . — Map (db m57690) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Ephraim — First Permanent Colony in Door County|
A.M. Iverson, Pastor
landed May, 1853,
forming the first
in Door County
Erected 1923 — Map (db m15714) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Fish Creek — A Road Less Traveled Eagle Terrace|
|More than one million people visit Peninsula State Park every year but most days Eagle Terrace is quiet. Congratulate yourself for discovering a place less traveled!
Eagle Terrace links events that span centuries. Was this jagged promontory a sacred place for Indian people? Who stood where you stand, watching both friend and foe paddle with strong, steady strokes? In 1953 (sic), a ragged group of Norwegian immigrants trudged across frozen Eagle Harbor, determined to establish a . . . — Map (db m75111) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Fish Creek — A State Park System is Formed Peninsula Leads the Way|
|"One by one," Assemblyman Tom Reynolds told the Wisconsin Legislature, "all the places of scenic beauty and historical interest are passing away. Before it is too late, it is well to pause and consider whether it is not befitting that some of them be preserved for all time."
Reynolds, a Jacksonport farmer, did not act alone. Landscape Architect John Nolen described the beauty of Peninsula to the Wisconsin Legislature: "It is wild and as yet unspoiled, with alternating interests of woodland . . . — Map (db m79015) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Fish Creek — Eagle Bluff Lighthouse Peninsula's Maritime Heritage|
|Sailing vessels used two channels when navigating this part of Green Bay. The first was the western passage on the far side of Chambers Island. The second lies before you: the treacherous passage between the shore and the Strawberry Islands.
Economic growth and settlement in Door County depended on swift and secure water transportation. To guide ships safely through the narrow Strawberry Channel, the federal government built Eagle Bluff Lighthouse in 1868 for a cost of $12,000. The . . . — Map (db m75285) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Fish Creek — Island Paradise Horseshoe Island|
|Northern white cedar trees cling to the rocky rim of 38-acre Horseshoe Island. A tangle of birch and balsam fir, with pale blossoms of climbing fumitory, grow on the island, too. Long ago, people lived on Horseshoe Island.
Indian people, including the ancestors of the Menomini, have lived in this area for over 2,500 years. In historic times other tribes visited Horseshoe Island, including Potawatomi. They fished for sturgeon and lake trout, no doubt finding refuge from storms in Horseshoe . . . — Map (db m74416) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Fish Creek — Life on the Ledge The Niagara Escarpment|
|Welcome to Peninsula State Park, a diverse and dramatic place. Two features dominate this landscape: rock and water.
At Peninsula, rocky bluffs ascend over 150 feet. They are part of the Niagara Escarpment, a 650-mile geologic formation. This fossil-rich sedimentary rock began to form 420 million years ago at the outer rim of a shallow sea. Today the escarpment is the "backbone" of Peninsula State Park. This varied terrain provides critical habitat for 500-year-old cedar trees, delicate . . . — Map (db m79261) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Fish Creek — Privilege in the Park Camp Meenahga 1916-1948|
|What was summer like in Door County in the early 1900s? If you were a local girl, you might clean rooms at a family hotel or help with farm chores. Perhaps you would tend to younger siblings. If old enough, you might even work at Camp Meenahga.
Camp Meenahga was located across Shore Road. Camp Meenahga girls spent summer differently than young women of Door County. For eight weeks, at a cost of $350 (1924), campers had a "vacation from fashions and abnormal excitement." They studied dance, . . . — Map (db m79006) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Fish Creek — Shorelines and Sedge Meadows Weborg Point|
|Peninsula's eight-mile shoreline is ever changing. Some years, a soggy cobblestone coast cradles sparse populations of unusual flowers. When water is high, crayfish thrive in crevices of the rocky coast, providing food for abundant smallmouth bass.
Here at Weborg Marsh, a wet "sedge" meadow adds more diversity. Sandhill cranes feed on snails and cattail tubers that live between clumps of tussock sedge. American redstarts nest in the brush along the wetland's edge. Nearby, shallow water . . . — Map (db m75181) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Fish Creek — 386 — The Alexander Noble House|
|The Alexander Noble House was built in 1875 on land purchased from Asa Thorp, the founder of the Village of Fish Creek. This Greek Revival Style-influenced residence is the Village's oldest existing dwelling still in its original location. Born in Scotland in 1829, Alexander Noble immigrated to Canada in 1840 and settled in Fish Creek in 1855 where he lived until his death in 1905. He was a blacksmith by trade and served for many years as town chairman, postmaster and member of the county board. — Map (db m12122) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Fish Creek — Why Green Bay?|
|When spring burst forth, voyageurs paddled from Montreal, Canada to trade at outposts on the Great Lakes. After the long, white northern winter, they welcomed the green of spring found upon reaching Green Bay. Voyagers identified places by natural features, and, thus called this spot "Green" Bay.
Early accounts tell of abundant fish populations and clear waters. Huge flocks of waterfowl and large marshes point to excellent water quality in the 1600s and 1700s. By the late 1800s human development began causing changes in the water. — Map (db m75179) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Gills Rock — Pilot Island Site Historic Shipwrecks Wisconsin's Maritime Trails|
J.E. Gilmore ·
Type: wooden schooner ·
Built: 1867, Asa Wilcox, ·
Three Mile Bay, N.Y. ·
Length: 137.7' ·
Beam: 25.4' ·
Propulsion: sail, 2 masted.
Type: wooden scow-schooner ·
Built: 1857, David Lester, ·
Newport, Mich. / rebuilt 1880 ·
Length: 87.5' / rebuilt 115.6' ·
Beam: 22.25' / rebuilt 23' ·
Propulsion: sail, 2 masted / rebuilt 3 masted.
A.P. Nichols ·
Type: wooden schooner ·
Built: 1861, Bailey Brothers, . . . — Map (db m38339) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Institute — Scow Schooner Ocean Wave Historic Shipwreck Wisconsin's Maritime Trails|
Type: Wooden schooner, two-masted
Built: 1860, Robert Chambers, Harsen's Island, Mich.
Sank: September 23, 1869
Length: 73' Beam 20'
Depth of Wreckage: 110'
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Four miles southeast of here, in 110 feet of water, lie the remains of the Ocean Wave. The two-masted wooden ship was a scow schooner, a boxy, flat-bottomed vessel of the late 1800s. Scow schooners could enter shallower harbors more easily than . . . — Map (db m74312) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Jacksonport — Halfway to the North Pole|
|The 45th parallel (45 Degrees North Latitude) runs through a point one half mile south of this wayside (intersection of Hwy. 57 and Logerquist Road). This is the geographical midpoint between the equator and North Pole. But, because the earth is slightly flattened at the poles, the distance from the 45th parallel to the North Pole is approximately 3117 miles and to the equator approximately 3105 miles.
Polaris (North Star) is directly above the North Pole. Therefore, the angle between . . . — Map (db m26671) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Jacksonport — 493 — Jacksonport United Methodist Church|
|Also known as “The Little White Church by the Lake,” the Jacksonport United Methodist Church was completed in 1892. Its simple design is attributed to George Bagnall Sr., one of the original builders. Alex Halstead, Harry Wilson Sr. and Jed Jones helped in its construction. The church retains its original straight pews, white altar rail and pulpit, as well as its original Epworth reed organ. Current church rolls show many of the same family names as in the 1890s. Services are still held here May through October, and Christmas Eve. — Map (db m12114) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Jacksonport — 544 — Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church|
|On January 18, 1889, Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church was formally incorporated. The congregation consisted mostly of German Lutheran immigrants from the district of Saxon-Weimar-Eisenach who settled in the Jacksonport area. That spring the newly organized congregation started to construct a forty-by-twenty-eight-foot wood-frame structure using locally donated logs. The land was provided by John and Rose Anschutz, the foundation by Ernest Wiegand, the lime by John Flock, and a week's labor by . . . — Map (db m67017) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Jacksonsport — 521 — The Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity|
|The Reverend W. R. Gardner founded the Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity in 1882 to serve the Canadian Anglicans who had relocated to the area after the Civil War to cut and haul timber. Services were held once a month at the village schoolhouse. Later, $100 was raised to purchase 60 acres, sufficient for buildings and farmable land for a clergyman. The church cornerstone was laid September 24, 1885, and the first service was held July 25, 1886. While the church's original form is intact, . . . — Map (db m59212) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Namur — After the Fire: The Vandermissen Brickworks Site From First Americans to Euroamericans Archaeology and History of the WIS 57 Transportation Corridor|
What Does the Vandermissen Brickworks Site Represent?
On October 8, 1871, the Peshtigo fire destroyed many of the Belgian farms and small towns along the west side of the Door Peninsula.
The Belgians rebuilt after the fire using bricks instead of logs for construction. A household brickmaking industry developed to produce the bricks. Many of these distinctive red brick structures survive today and give the region its architectural character.
The Vandermissen Brickworks was . . . — Map (db m80223) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Namur — 321 — Belgian Settlement in Wisconsin|
|Wisconsin's and the nation's largest Belgian American settlement is located in portions of Brown, Kewaunee and Door counties adjacent to the waters of Green Bay. Walloon-speaking Belgians settled the region in the 1850s and still constitute a high proportion of the population. A variety of elements attests to the Belgian American presence: place names (Brussels, Namur, Rosiere, Luxemburg), a local French patois, common surnames, unique foods (boohyah, trippe, jutt), the Kermiss harvest . . . — Map (db m12141) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Namur — Historic Euroamerican Settlement of the Door Peninsula From First Americans to Euroamericans Archaeology and History of the WIS 57 Transportation Corridor|
Jean Nicolet was among the first Europeans to arrive in
Wisconsin, landing on the eastern shore of Green Bay near Red Banks in 1634. He was followed by Claude Allouez in 1639 and Father Louis Hennepin in 1675.
For the next 200 years, American Indian groups including the Ho-Chunk, Menominee, and Potawatomi shared the regions resources with Euroamerican explorers and settlers.
Door Countys first community was settled by Increase and . . . — Map (db m80287) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Namur — The WIS 57 Reconstruction Project in Brown, Kewaunee, and Door Counties From First Americans to Euroamericans Archaeology and History of the WIS 57 Transportation Corridor|
Why Was This Project Undertaken?
WIS 57 is the primary route into and out of the Door Peninsula's popular resort country and by the early 1990s had become inadequate to safely carry current traffic loads.
A Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) study of the WIS 57 highway corridor found an increasing rate of highway-related crashes. After
evaluating this study, WisDOT developed a plan to realign, widen, and . . . — Map (db m80274) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Namur — The Fire of 1871 and Williamsonville: A 19th Century Euroamerican Settlement in Door County From First Americans to Euroamericans Archaeology and History of the WIS 57 Transportation Corridor|
The Town of Williamsonville
Tornado Memorial Park in Door County is located on the site of the former settlement of Williamsonville. The town was settled by the Williamson family in 1869 to take advantage of the Door County State Road opened in 1867 that linked Green Bay and Sturgeon Bay.
By 1871, Williamsonville had a steam-powered shingle mill for processing wood from the nearby pine forests and cedar swamps, a boarding house, a blacksmith shop, eight houses, and 10 acres of . . . — Map (db m80215) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Namur — Transportation Archaeology on the WIS 57 Project From First Americans to Euroamericans Archaeology and History of the WIS 57 Transportation Corridor|
Historic Preservation and the WIS 57 Project
The National Historic Preservation Act of 1966
(NHPA) requires federal agencies to take into account the effect their projects might have on historic properties such as buildings and
archaeological sites. Archaeological and
historical investigations of the WIS 57 corridor were conducted according to NHPA regulations and procedures.
These procedures, referred to as the . . . — Map (db m80311) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — "The Old Rugged Cross"|
|Most popular and widely accepted Christian hymn "The Old Rugged Cross" completed by Rev. George Bennard during Evangelistic meetings here Dec. 29, 1912 - Jan. 12, 1913
First sung as a quartet in the Friends Church Parlors and as a duet at the last service from penciled words and notes
"The Old Rugged Cross"
On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suffering and shame;
And I love that old cross where the dearest and best
For a world of lost sinners was . . . — Map (db m59215) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Old Bell Tower|
|A modern rendition of Bank of Sturgeon Bay's original tower erected in 1900 on the NW corner of 3rd Ave. & Kentucky St., and removed in 1939. The original bell was reacquired with the cooperation of the First Baptist Church of Sturgeon Bay where it had called parishioners to worship since 1946.
Dedicated to the people of Door County who have the courage to dream and give life their best.
January, 26, 1990
Commemorated in honor of
Bank of Sturgeon Bay's 100th Anniversary — Map (db m15722) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — 110-114 North 3rd Avenue|
This property has been
placed on the
by the United States
Department of the Interior — Map (db m89963) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — 41-Foot Utility Boat Large (UTB)|
The Coast Guard built 207 UTBs, at a cost of $235,000 for each boat, all at the Coast Guard Yard in Curtis Bay, Maryland, from 1973 to 1978. The 41-ft. UTB has been one of the most successful boats in Coast Guard history, ably serving as the general workhorse at multi-mission stations for 41 years. The UTB was designed to operate under moderate weather and sea conditions where speed and maneuverability were crucial. While they were primarily used for search and rescue, the mission expanded . . . — Map (db m89920) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Air Funnel|
This steel air funnel is from the iron ore carrier Middleton. This ship was also known as Nashanic, Gulfoil, and Pioneer Challenger. The vessel was built at the Bethlehem Steel Company Shipyard at Sparrows Point, Maryland and launched October 31, 1942. The air funnel was located at the stern of the ship and directed fresh air below decks for ventilation for the engine room crew. The funnel was removed in 1982 during Middleton's conversion from a straight . . . — Map (db m89900) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Anchor|
This anchor was recovered in Northern Lake Michigan in 1979 by the crew of the USCG cutter/buoy tender Acacia when that ship was stationed in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. It was assumed that the anchor got fouled in the rocks and could not be raised by the ship's gear.
Donated by the Crew of Acacia — Map (db m89905) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Bradley Crandall Sawmill Site|
|This sawmill led to the
founding of Sturgeon Bay
The Founding of Little Lake
Sturgeon Bay's first major settlement was founded in 1853 with the construction of the Bradley-Crandall Sawmill. The original mill was located on a small island and had a workforce of 30 – 40 people, about half the population of the area. Life was hard and transportation difficult. Wild animals were prevalent, especially bears and wolves.
The channel between the island and the . . . — Map (db m26859) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Captain John Roen 1887 - 1970|
Born in Tysse, Norway, where steep cliffs and narrow inlets receive the sea, John Roen answered the call to a life of adventure, traveling to the U.S. in 1906. He became a Captain in 1920, and through astute purchases of Great Lakes vessels he amassed a shipping empire. Known internationally for raising the 600' Steamer George M. Humphrey from the Straits of Mackinac in 1944, Roen conceived a simple, yet profoundly successful plan and persisted with creativity, courage and . . . — Map (db m89854) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Door County's Stone Fleet Wisconsin's Maritime Trails|
|Behind you, Government Bluff rises 150 feet above the waters of Sturgeon Bay. It was here that Door Countys first industry began in 1834 — a limestone quarry. Originally intended for a military fort that was never constructed, the stone was later used by the federal government to construct piers and harbors around Lake Michigan. After the government closed the quarry, it was reopened in the early 1880s by Frank Hogan. Hogan was only a squatter on the property, however, and was driven off . . . — Map (db m74258) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Eastern Terminus Ice Age National Scenic Trail Potawatomi State Park|
| This site marks the Eastern Terminus of the Ice Age National Scenic Trail. The Trail was designated a National Scenic Trail by Congress in 1980 and Wisconsin's first State Scenic Trail in 1987. The Western Terminus is in Interstate State Park on the Minnesota border near St. Croix Falls.|
Commemorating the Wisconsin Glaciation, which ended about 10,000 years ago, this 1,200-mile trail highlights the landscape formed by the forces that shaped much of North America.
The National Park . . . — Map (db m39249) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Ellsworth L. Peterson 1924 -|
With a maritime career begun in 1941 at Peterson Boat Works stockroom, Ellsworth attended the USMMA [United States Merchant Marine Academy] Kings Point and sailed on tankers in WWII. He rejoined his family's business, learned the tools of the trade, and in 1965 he succeeded his father [Fred] as President and Chairman of the Board in 1996. Through his leadership, PBI emerged as an international shipbuilder, constructing over 800 wooden, steel, aluminum and fiberglass vessels such as . . . — Map (db m89881) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Fish Tug Linda E Vanished 11 Dec. 1998|
Leif E. Weborg
Of Gills Rock Wis
Scott T. Matta
Of Milwaukee Wis.
Warren G. Olson Jr.
Of Marinette Wis. — Map (db m89896) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Fred J. Peterson 1894 - 1993|
Fred started his career in 1908 in his father's boatyard, Peterson Boat Works (PBW), at age 14. After PBW burned in 1918, Fred worked as a shipbuilding supervisor at Leathem Smith Shipyard. A resourceful entrepreneur, he was involved in businesses ranging from mink trapping to insurance to make the dream of owning his own shipyard a reality. In 1933, Fred and his wife, Irene, reestablished Peterson Boat Works (later Peterson Builders, Inc.) which became a world-renowned builder of military . . . — Map (db m89860) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — George J. Baudhuin 1909 - 1969|
George J. "Butch" Baudhuin was a primary force in the pleasure boat industry in Door County. Recognizing Sturgeon Bay's unique location connecting Lake Michigan and Green Bay, he began Baudhuin Yacht Harbor (now Sturgeon Bay Yacht Harbor) in 1944, a marina highly respected for sales, service and hospitality. In 1954, Baudhuin pioneered Travelift, the straddle-type mobile boat hoist that dramatically changed the handling of pleasure boats. Started as Marine Travelift and Engineering, Inc., . . . — Map (db m89855) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Hay Hardware 1889 Third Avenue Historic District|
This visually prominent building is a handsome example of the two-part commercial block style common during the period. It originally anchored what was once downtown's principal business corner prior to the completion of the Michigan Street Bridge in 1931. The building remained in continuous use as a hardware store until 1979. The rear addition was built around 1900 as a tin shop and utilized similar brick construction and detailing. The ornately detailed entablature and cornice of . . . — Map (db m89958) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Historic Museum Tug John Purves WWII Veteran (US Army Transport LT145) Constructed in 1919 as the Butterfield|
[Title is text] — Map (db m89890) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Historic Sturgeon Bay Downtown Historic District|
|The Downtown Historic District includes over forty late 19th and early 20th century commercial, civic and converted buildings. It is located along the three block long heart of Sturgeon Bay's traditional downtown. The District grew as a casual grid of stump studded streets on the higher land above the bay for which the city was named. A formal plat of the District was not prepared until 1855.
The District was the commercial "crossroads" of Sturgeon Bay since the city's founding. It was the . . . — Map (db m26885) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Howard A & Lou E Olson 9/13/07 - 2/28/2002 12/30/14 - 7/16/2002 In Memory of|
Howard loved the water, sailing and knew all about ships. He was a sailor, shipbuilder, boat launcher, and a long-time DCMM docent. He couldn't wait to sail each spring.
Lou was a great supporter of Howard. She cared for their home, children, finances, and worked outside of the home. She was a founder of the Marine Men's Auxiliary, which did charity work in the community.
Lou and Howard lived on or by water all their lives. They were great parents, proud of their Norwegian heritage and active in Sons of Norway. — Map (db m89897) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Karl Overland April 24, 1912 - March 6, 1997 To the Memory of|
Caring - Compassionate - Loving
Co-Founder of Overland Bolling Company
Committed and devoted to his Customers and Employees
Remembered for his warm friendly smile
Lived his life by these simple words
You Reap What You Sow"
"Be The Best That You Can Be In This
Land of Opportunity"
Respected in the industry for his
skills, foresight and honesty
Respected in the community as a
businessman and gentleman
We at Overland Bolling Co
Strive To Uphold His High Standards . . . — Map (db m89827) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Karl Overland April 24, 1912 - March 6, 1997 In the Memory of|
United States Coast Guard Radio Tower
Co-Founder of Overland Bolling Company
Founded in 1956
Lived his life by these simple words
"You Reap What You Sow"
"Be The Best That You Can Be
In This Land of Opportunity"
Respected in the industry for his skills,
foresight and honesty
Respected in the community as a
businessman and gentleman
[Dedicated] November 23, 1998 — Map (db m89884) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — 417 — Leathem and Smith Quarry|
|John Leathem and Thomas Smith established this dolomite quarry at the mouth of Sturgeon Bay in 1893. Though they produced dimension stone for building harbors around Lake Michigan, Leathem and Smith's quarry became a major operation by capitalizing on the growing demand for crushed stone for roads, railroad beds and concrete. In 1914, a huge stone crushing plant was constructed on the lower quarry floor. On the upper level, a steam shovel loaded stone into carts, which were hauled to the . . . — Map (db m39345) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Lost Great Lakes Mariners|
For many centuries, mariners have traversed the Great Lakes to deliver passengers and cargo, to gather fish, and to enjoy the splendid waters. This plaque is dedicated to those who lost their lives in this great water wilderness: the commercial fishermen; the sailors of the large ore carriers, cargo ships, and schooners; the pleasure boaters and sportsmen... those who never returned home from the beautiful but often treacherous waters that surround the Door Peninsula. — Map (db m89853) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Masonic Temple 1928 Third Avenue Historic District|
The Henry S. Baird Masonic Lodge was initially established in 1878 and was housed in a number of locations around downtown [illegible] 50 years before establishing a permanent home at this location. The building was designed by local architect Fred Crandall and completed at a cost of $31,500. The Temple also is the home of Honor Chapter #1 Order of the Eastern Star, the first O.E.S. chapter in Wisconsin (1890). The Neo-Classical Revival detailing of this quasi-public building is . . . — Map (db m89962) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Merchants Exchange Bank|
This structure is
listed in the
National Register of
Historic Places in
Washington, D.C. — Map (db m89961) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Portage Park|
the Indian canoe portage
between Lake MIchigan
Sturgeon Bay — Map (db m39092) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Propellers from the tug John Purves 4-blade, 76 in. diameter|
These two propellers were removed from the John Purves during her renovation in 2007 and wrapped with rope for display.
They were originally installed in 1957 when the vessel was converted from steam to diesel power at the Sturgeon Bay Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company. They replaced the steam equipment with two 900 hp 12-cylinder General Motors engines and the twin screws seen here.
The pitted condition of the propeller's surface was caused by a phenomenon known as . . . — Map (db m89886) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Robert E. Peterson 1922 - 1989|
Bob Peterson lived on the water, worked on the water and played on the water. In 1939 he officially joined Peterson Builders Inc., the shipyard started by his father, Fred. After several military deferments, he enlisted in the army and served as captain of a harbor tugboat in the Philippines. Following World War II, his adeptness at boat handling led him to captain many sea trials for the prototype vessels built at PBI. He coordinated the yard's Glass Reinforced Plastic project, forerunner . . . — Map (db m89858) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Robert Laurie and Alexander Laurie 1825 - 1889 1852 - 1939|
In the early 1850's Robert Laurie and his family immigrated to the United States from Glasgow, Scotland. They bought land north of the village of Sturgeon Bay in an area now known as Sevastopol. Mr. Laurie, a sailor and shipbuilder by trade, found timber on the land suitable for building ships. The Lauries began a boatbuilding business that was to be the first in the area. Their first ship, "Peninsula," was used for both passengers and freight. Later they quarried stone to build a home and . . . — Map (db m89852) HM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Semper Paratus|
This plaque is given by the State of Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs in grateful recognition of the United States Coast Guard, for its long and storied history of steadfast service in Wisconsin. On the mighty Mississippi River, the storm-swept shores of Lake Superior, and the shipwreck strewn waters of Lake Michigan, dedicated Coast Guard men and women protect, defend and save.
Given this day, November 10, 2014 in Sturgeon Bay -
Wisconsin's Coast Guard City — Map (db m89903) HM WM
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Steam Barge Joys Historic Shipwreck Wisconsin's Maritime Trails|
|Resting 150 yards off shore from here is the wreckage of the steam barge Joys, a vessel once hailed as a “greyhound among lumber carriers” for her record-breaking speed. The Joys was constructed in 1884 in the Milwaukee Ship Yard Company. She hauled lumber, iron, and stone through the Sturgeon Bay ship canal between Menominee and the ports of Milwaukee, Chicago, Manistee and Michigan City. The Joys career ended on December 23, 1898. While at anchor in the canal, a fire broke out . . . — Map (db m43400) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Sturgeon Bay and Lake Michigan Ship Canal|
|This canal was the dream of Joseph Harris, Sr., "the Father of the Sturgeon Bay and Lake Michigan Ship Canal." His intent was not only to provide a shorter and safer route for sailing vessels, but to also become rich by selling building lots along the canal in the town of "Harrisburg" that would surely result along the lake end of the canal. After much work, lobbying, and a change in the canal location, a state charter was granted in 1864 to his Sturgeon Bay and Lake Michigan Ship Canal and . . . — Map (db m15196) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — The Old Bridge|
|In pioneer times, private boats and commercial ferries were used to cross the waters of Sturgeon Bay. In 1887 the crossing became considerable [sic] easier when John D. Leathem and Thomas H. Smith completed a toll bridge consisting of a wooden plank road on a timber pile trestle and a center pivoting truss bridge to allow for boat passage. Tolls charged for crossing the bridge included "75’ for threshing outfits," "25’ for team and rider" and "5’ per head for foot passengers."
In 1891, the . . . — Map (db m43677) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — 98 — The Orchards of Door County|
|In 1858 Joseph Zettel, a native of Switzerland, acquired the farm directly south of this Station and established the first commercial orchard on the Door Peninsula. The high yields and quality of his fruit aroused the interest of Emmett S. Goff of the University of Wisconsin and Arthur L. Hatch, orchardist, and led to the discovery that the Peninsula is remarkably suited for fruit growing. In 1892 Goff and Hatch planted a small acreage to cherries, apples and plums. Commercial production of red . . . — Map (db m5190) HM|
|Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Wisconsin State Rock|
|This monument is an intrusive igneous red granite rock — the official rock of the State of Wisconsin. It was quarried near Wausau, Wisconsin, and specifically known as "Wisconsin Ruby Red." It was crystallized from magma about 1750 million years ago.
The red mineral in this rock, potassium feldspar (microcline) is colored by finely divided hematite. Quartz is the glassy material and other minerals are oligoclase and biolite.
Granite is found in many textures and colors, gray, . . . — Map (db m15205) HM|