|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Archdale — 18-11 — Archdale Hall|
|Archdale Hall Plantation was established in 1681 by a royal grant of 300 acres to Richard Baker. The plantation, later expanded to more than 3000 acres, produced indigo and rice. The house which once stood here, built before 1750, was a fine example of Georgian residential architecture. It survived the Civil War only to be demolished by the Charleston earthquake of 1886. — Map (db m29914) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Dorchester — Four Holes Swamp|
|The first causeway and bridge here
were built under terms of an act
passed April 21, 1753.
Col. Henry Hampton of State Troops
of S.C. seized the bridge July
14, 1781, and established a post
here to check Lord Rawdon on his
retreat from Orangeburgh. Several
actions took place here later in
1781 and in 1782.
The causeway and road were paved in 1928. — Map (db m26583) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Dorchester — 18-7 — Four Holes Swamp Bridge / Harley's Tavern|
| Four Holes Swamp Bridge The first bridge across Four Holes Swamp, a branch of the Edisto River, was built between 1770 and 1780 and was located about 200 ft. N. of the present bridge. The old bridge, on the road from Orangeburg to Charleston, was the site of several actions in 1781 and 1782 where S.C. militia and Patriot forces under Cols. Henry and Wade Hampton and William Harden clashed with Loyalists. Harley's Tavern The first post office in what is now Dorchester County was . . . — Map (db m26704) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Dorchester — Moorefield Memorial Highway, (Southern Terminus) (U.S. Route 178)|
|In Memory Of
Charles Henry Moorefield
State Highway Engineer
of South Carolina
1920 — 1935
— Map (db m46466) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Duncan Chapel Community — Moorefield Memorial Highway (U.S. Route 178)|
|In Memory Of Charles Henry Moorefield State Highway Engineer
of South Carolina
1920 — 1935 — Map (db m40332) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Duncan Chapel Community — 18-15 — Shady Grove Camp Ground|
This camp ground, established about 1870, is the largest of 4 Methodist camp grounds in Dorchester County. Tradition holds that Ceasar Wolfe and a group of former slaves, caught in a storm, stopped in a grove here for shelter. Rice planter S.M. Knight asked them to help harvest his fields, and after they did so he gave them this spot as a place of worship. They named it Shady Grove. (Reverse text) The group first met under a brush arbor but later built . . . — Map (db m42327) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Grover — 18-10 — Appleby's Methodist Church|
|(Front text) This church was organized shortly after the Revolution and this site was deeded to seven trustees in 1787. One of them, Jacob Barr, was the first minister to serve here. Applebys Methodist Church was named for a prominent local family and the Greek Revival sanctuary here was most likely built between 1840 and 1850. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. (Reverse text) The cemetery includes plots of the Appleby and other area families, . . . — Map (db m26275) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Grover — 18-13 — Grover Methodist Church|
This church was founded in the early 19th century as Murray's Church and served by ministers riding the Cypress Circuit.
It was originally named for the Murray family, which also gave this town its first name of Murray's Crossroads. The first
church here, damaged by a storm in 1878, was replaced by the present church, built of heart pine by Philip and Jim Liston
in 1890~97. (Reverse text) Murray's Church was renamed Grover Methodist Church in 1905, after . . . — Map (db m22006) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Grover — 18-12 — Koger-Murray-Carroll House|
|(Front text) This house, an excellent example of early Federal era-architecture, was built about 1800 for Joseph Koger, Jr. (1779-1866), planter, state representative 1806-1812, Colleton District sheriff 1813-18, and state senator 1818-1838. Koger moved to Mississippi in 1838 and sold the house to his brother-in-law, John Soule Murray (1792-1844), planter and state senator 1840-43. (Reverse text) In 1865 James Parsons Carroll (1809-1883), chancellor of the state court of . . . — Map (db m26349) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Harleyville vicinity — 18-16 — St. Paul Camp Ground|
|(Front text) This Methodist camp ground, one of four in Dorchester County, was established in 1880. African-American freedmen in this area held services in a brush arbor at the "Old Prayer Ground" nearby as early as 1869. By 1873 they acquired two acres nearby and founded St. Paul A.M.E. Church, building their first permanant sanctuary just southwest. (Reverse text) In 1880 four community leaders purchased 113 acres here and deeded it to trustees for a new St. Paul Camp ground. . . . — Map (db m48651) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Ridgeville — 18-14 — Cypress Methodist Camp Ground|
|(Front text) This camp ground, dating to 1794, is one of the oldest in S.C. Francis Asbury (1745-1816), circuit rider and the first Methodist bishop in America, preached here in 1794, 1799, 1801, and twice in 1803. The camp ground is supported by five local communities: Givhans, Lebanon, New Hope, Ridgeville, and Zion.
“Tents,” or rough-hewn cabins, form a rectangle around the “tabernacle,” the open-sided shelter where services are . . . — Map (db m41750) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Ridgeville — Revolutionary War Cannon|
|Forged in 1762 in Leicester,
England, this cannon was part
of an outpost located near here
to defend the causeway at Four
Holes Creek during the
Revolutionary War. It was
recovered from the creek
beneath six feet of silt by a
bridge work crew in 1921.
(Plaque Behind Cannon): A Cannon's Pride by Edward Jack Smith
In 1781, when I was shiny and new,
I served atop this hill against The British marching through.
I was the first gun to fire when the Redcoats came . . . — Map (db m26535) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), St. George — South Carolina Canal & Rail Road Company Original Track Location|
|Began first successful scheduled
steam railroad service in America
on December 25, 1830, and by 1833
its 136 miles from Charleston
to Hamburg made it the world's
longest railroad. Now a part of
Southern Railroad System. — Map (db m23049) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Summerville — 18-9 — Alston Graded School / Alston High School|
|(Front text) Alston Graded School Alston Graded School, one of the first African-American schools founded in Dorchester County, stood here from 1910 to 1954. Named for its founder, Dr. J.H. Alston, it included grades 1-11 until 1949 and 1-12 afterwards. The two-story wood frame school, which was designed by architects Burden and Walker of Charleston and built by N.A. Lee, was moved to Bryan Street in 1953.
(Reverse text) Alston High School Alston High School, . . . — Map (db m27766) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Summerville — Colonial Dorchester State Historic Site|
|In 1697, Congregationalist settlers from Dorchester, Massachusetts, founded a town where you now stand. For nearly 100 years, Dorchester prospered as an inland trade center for the region. Trade with Native Americans, the development of rice and indigo as valuable cash crops and infusion of people (slave, planter and merchant) brought Dorchester to an economic peak in the mid 1700s. However, with the frontier shifting further inland, an improved overland road system, amid destruction at the . . . — Map (db m22503) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Summerville — Colonial Dorchester Networks of Trade|
|The Ashley River served as an early highway between Dorchester and Charles Towne. It provided planters easy access to the largest market in Carolina for their crops. But as the colony expanded inland, it became an obstacle to overland travel and trade. The bridge that finally crossed the river here in the 1720's connected Dorchester to the growing network of inland roads and communities, and it funneled goods and people through the heart of the village. Like other bridges in the colony, the . . . — Map (db m22554) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Summerville — Colonial Dorchester Clues of Wealth|
|Wealth and prestige are often displayed by our homes and property.
This outline represents a Georgian home that once sat on lots 17
and 18. Described in 1786 as "a wooden house on brick
foundation," the house belonged to the Izard family, prominent
landowners, planters and political leaders of Colonial South
Carolina. Artifacts discovered here, historical records and the
Georgian architecture provide insight about the wealth of this family.
(Left picture) The Izards owned . . . — Map (db m22555) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Summerville — Colonial Dorchester To Market, To Market|
|Quiet and deserted today, this 'village green' once bustled with colonists buying, selling or trading livestock, supplies, and even slaves. Hoping that economics would spur growth, the 1723 Colonial legislature had decreed that weekly markets would be held here. This Market square, convenient to the all-important river, also hosted lively four-day fairs every April and October. The marketplace was an easy stop for goods coming by river from Charles Towne or more-distant ports, and trade with . . . — Map (db m22689) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Summerville — Dorchester Free School A Chance to Learn|
|A small brick building once stood here housing the Dorchester Free School. The school offered free education to omly a few poor students. All others paid tuition. Opportunities for white children to learn outside the home or shop was limited. Black children had even fewer chances. Most were slaves and trained only to work.
The Dorchester Free School operated only a short time here. It opened in 1761 then closed during the Revolution and did not reopen for almost twenty-five years. In 1818 . . . — Map (db m22659) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Summerville — 18-3 — Fort Dorchester|
|A brick powder magazine enclosed by a tabby wall eight feet high was built here in 1757. During the Revolution, Dorchester was a strategic point. In 1775 the magazine was fortified and the garrison commanded by Capt. Francis Marion. British troops occupied the town in April 1780. They were driven out by cavalry and infantry under Col. Wade Hampton and Gen. Nathanael Greene on December 1, 1781. — Map (db m22831) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Summerville — Linking Places and People Then and Now|
|South Carolina began with only one settlement, Charles Towne. Soon colonists were pushing into the frontier. As plantations arose, merchants, doctors and craftsmen settled towns like Dorchester to support them. Trade routes - rivers, paths and roads - connected planters to towns and towns to cities. Today those same roads and rivers help us follow our forebears' steps. The old Ashley River Road (Highway 61), and the river itself, still link Colonial Dorchester, now a State Historic Site, to tje . . . — Map (db m22604) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Summerville — 18-4 — Middleton Place / Arthur Middleton|
These famous gardens were laid out about
1741 by Henry Middleton (1717-84), President
of Continental Congress. His son Arthur,
Signer of the Declaration Of Independence,
lived here as did his son Henry (1770-1846),
Governor of S.C. and Minister to Russia,
who introduced the comellias. His son
Williams (1809-83) planted the first azaleas.
The original residence was looted and burned
by Federal forces in 1865.
Arthur . . . — Map (db m16281) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Summerville — 18-6 — Newington Plantation|
|Newington Plantation was established on this site in the 1680s after Daniel Axtell recieved a royal grant of 300 acres. Axtell died shortly after arriving in the colony and his widow Rebecca built a house on the grant by the 1690s. In 1711 Lady Axtell gave Newington, named after the family plantation in England, to her daughter Elizabeth, the widow of Gov. Joseph Blake. Mrs. Blake's son Col. Joseph Blake (1700-1751) inherited (Reverse text) the plantation at her death in 1726 and . . . — Map (db m23362) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Summerville — 18-1 — Old Dorchester|
|Laid out in 1697 as a market town for the Congregationalist colony from Dorchester, Mass., the village contained 116 quarter-acre lots and a town square and commons. An Anglican church was built in 1720, a fair was established in 1723, and a Free School in 1734. Dorchester became a trade center and by 1781 had about 40 houses. The town gradually declined after the Revolution. By 1788 it was abandoned. — Map (db m22721) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Summerville — 18-5 — Old White Meeting House and Cemetery|
|(Text front) This church was established in 1696 by settlers from Dorchester, Mass., for which the town of Dorchester was named. This brick sanctuary, built ca. 1700, was occupied and then burned by British troops in 1781. The church was reorganized as "The United Independent Congregational Church of Dorchester and Beech Hill" in 1793 and the building rebuilt the next year. A summer church was built in nearby Summerville in 1831.
In 1859 members of the . . . — Map (db m23256) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Summerville — 18-2 — Parish Church of St. George, Dorchester|
|St. George's, an Anglican parish, was erected in 1717. A brick church 50 ft. long and 30 ft. wide with a chancel 15 by 5 feet, begun in August 1719, was enlarged in the 1730's. The tower was built before 1753 and in 1766 held four bells. Burned by the British in the Revolution, the church was partially repaired and used afterwards, but as the congregation moved away, it fell into decay. — Map (db m22894) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Summerville — The Bell Tower of St. George's|
|Angry with the Anglican Church, the Puritan Pilgrams left England in 1620. Their descendants, known as Congregationalists, founded Dorchester in the 1690s, only to endure South Carolina's 1706 declaration of Anglicanism as the colony's official church.
With the Congregationalists worshiping two miles away, St. George's Anglican Church was built here in the center of Dorchester. Village founders and other religious "Dissenters" were even taxed to support St. George's.
Upon completion in . . . — Map (db m22764) HM|
|South Carolina (Dorchester County), Summerville — 18-8 — The Old Town Hall|
|(Front text) The Old Town Hall, built ca. 1860, is the oldest public building in Summerville. Rev. Robert I. Limehouse (1815-1881), a Methodist minister and the town intendant, or mayor, purchased the site for the town hall that year. A jail and market place also once stood here. In early 1865, in the final days of the Civil War, the village wardens left a meeting to defend Summerville from a band of raiders and killed one of them. (Reverse text)
At least sixteen intendants . . . — Map (db m28333) HM|