|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — A History of Violence|
From its earliest history, Edgefield developed a reputation for violence. The bloody fighting of the Cherokee War of 1760 was followed by years of lawlessness and retribution during the Regulator period. period. During the American Revolution this same extreme violence was continued with Patriots and Tories engaged in a vicious and bitter civil war.
In 1816, an itinerant minister, Parson Mason Locke Weems, who had lived in Edgefield, published "The Devil in Petticoats," a dramatic . . . — Map (db m12534) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Agricultural History|
In the 18th century, Edgefield County had largely a subsistence economy in which the settlers consumed what they raised. Beginning around 1800, following the invention of the cotton gin, planters began to grow cotton, which became an extremely profitable cash crop. During the antebellum period, "King Cotton" created a Plantation Society based upon slave labor. The wealthiest planters erected imposing homes both on their plantations and in the Village of Edgefield.
After the War Between . . . — Map (db m12587) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Andrew Pickens — November 13, 1779 - July 1, 1838 — Governor 1816-1818|
The son of General Andrew
Pickens, he served as a
Colonel in the War of 1812.
During his term as Governor,
there was considerable
focus on building roads and
canals in the state. His
son, Francis W. Pickens, was
also Governor of our State. — Map (db m12877) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Benjamin Ryan Tillman — August 11, 1847 - July 3, 1918 — Governor 1890-1894|
Known as "Pitchfork Ben,"
he led the South Carolina
farmer's movement. He
helped found Clemson and
Winthrop Colleges and was
arguably the most powerful
figure in S.C. political
history. He is buried in
Ebenezer Cemetery in Trenton. — Map (db m12919) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — 19-18 — Edgefield|
|(Front text) Edgefield was founded in 1785 as the county seat and site of the new courthouse and jail for Edgefield County, created out of the old Ninety-Six District. Also called Edgefield Village or Edgefield Court House, it was described by Robert Mills as “a neat little village’ in 1826, and was incorporated in 1830. Edgefield, with a reputation as a center of politics and law, gave the state many of its most prominent figures for more than 150 years.
(Reverse text) . . . — Map (db m47517) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Edgefield County|
Present-day Edgefield County was first settled in the 1750's, then a portion of a vast unsettled region of virgin forests, abundant wildlife and Indian tribes. From the time of the first settlements through the period of the American Revolution, this area was part of the Old Ninety Six District which included all of the northwestern portion of South Carolina. During most of this period there were no courts, law enforcement or local government.
In 1785, immediately following the . . . — Map (db m12583) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Edgefield County Confederate Monument|
Erected by the
to the Memory
of their Confederate
Dead. — Map (db m12634) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Edgefield County Veterans Memorial|
| . . . — Map (db m12631) WM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Edgefield County World War I Memorial|
Erected by the Edgefield Daughters
of the American Revolution in memory
of the men from Edgefield County
who gave their lives in the War with
Germany; and to all who answered
their country's call in service and
sacrifice and still live to add glory
to Edgefield's illustrious past.
August 16, 1919
Hezzie F. Griffis / James A. Burnett
Joseph P. Ouzts / Pressley Doolittle
Frank P. Salter / William Warren Hill
John T. Burnett
. . . — Map (db m12621) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — 19-8 — Edgefield United Methodist Church / The Reverend Joseph Moore|
|Edgefield United Methodist Church
By 1841, this congregation was established and was a member of the Edgefield circuit. The present structure was dedicated in November of 1892 by Bishop W.W. Duncan. The Reverend Joseph Moore sold to the church the land upon which it is presently built. A member of this church, Jennie Hughes Nicholson, was a missionary to China from September of 1901 until February of 1906.
The Reverend Joseph Moore
Moore was an early Methodist minister who was . . . — Map (db m12656) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — 19-3 — First Baptist Church / Village Cemetery|
|First Baptist Church
Founded in 1823 as Edgefield Baptist Church, with Basil Manly, Sr., Pastor, Matthew Mims, Clerk, and Arthur Simkins, Moderator, this church led in the establishment here in 1826 of Furman Academy and Theological Institution. William Bullein Johnson, pastor here 1830-52, served as president of the Southern Baptist Convention 1845-51; Robert G. Lee, a former pastor, served in 1948-51.
Burial place of three S.C. Governors: F.W. Pickens, . . . — Map (db m12671) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — First Term of Court|
First Term of Court Held in this
Building Spring Term 1839
John S. Richardson - Presiding Judge
George Pope - Clerk of Court
W.H. Moss - Sheriff
James J. Caldwell - Solicitor
Chairman Public Buildings — Map (db m12595) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Francis Wilkinson Pickens — April 7, 1805 - January 25, 1896 — Governor 1860-1862|
From 1858 to 1860 he was
U.S. Minister to Russia. As
Governor, his order to fire on
a Union Ship in Charleston
Harbor led to the start of the
War Between the States. He
lived at Edgewood, one of
Edgefield's greatest homes.
He is buried in Willowbrook
Cemetery in Edgefield. — Map (db m12905) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — George McDuffie — August 10, 1790 - March 11, 1851 — Governor 1834-1836|
McDuffie was a strong
advocate for the right of
states to nullify or void acts
of Congress within their
borders. He developed and
promoted the Nullification
Theory & also served in the
U.S. House and U.S. Senate. — Map (db m12878) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Governors and Lieutenant Governors from Edgefield|
|A tribute to the Governers
and Lieutenant Governors of South
Carolina who were
natives of or at one time
residents of Edgefield
District or County.
Andrew Pickens II (1816-18)
George McDuffie (1834-36)
Pierce Mason Butler (1836-38)
James H. Hammond (1842-44)
Francis W. Pickens (1860-62)
Milledge L. Bonham (1862-64)
John C. Sheppard (July-Dec. 1886)
Benjamin R. Tillman (1890-94)
John Gary Evans (1894-96)
James Strom Thurmond (1947-51)
. . . — Map (db m12645) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Industrial History|
|About 1810, Dr. Abner Landrum developed Edgefield's first major industry, a pottery factory at "Pottersville." The most famous potter in Edgefield's history was an African American slave named "Dave."
In the 1820's, Henry Schultz, a native of Hamburg, Germany, built the market town of Hamburg on the Savannah River across from Augusta. A decade later the world's longest railroad was constructed, linking Hamburg to Charleston. Unfortunately, further railroad extensions in Edgefield County . . . — Map (db m12592) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Israel Mukashy Building|
Prior to the fire of 1881, this was the site of the store and barroom of A.A. Clisby (1848-1916) where the infamous Booth-Toney Shootout of 1878 occurred. (See the that marker for further information.) The present building was built in 1891 by James M. Cobb (1849-1912), a longtime Edgefield merchant. Cobb had operated a dry goods business in Edgefield as early as 1870 and continued in business well into the 20th century. Prior to 1891 his business was located next door in The Corner Store.
. . . — Map (db m12494) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — J. Strom Thurmond|
|Native of Edgefield Born 1902
County Supt. of Education 1929-1933
State Senator 1933-1938
Circuit Judge 1938-1946
U.S. Army - World War II 1942-1946
Governor of South Carolina 1947-1951
United States Senate 1954-
Chairman - Senate Judiciary Comm. 1984-
President Pro-Tempore of U.S. Senate 1981- — Map (db m12653) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — 19-13 — J. Strom Thurmond Birthplace|
J. Strom Thurmond, by mid-1997 the longest-serving U.S. Senator in history, was born here to J. William and Gertrude Strom Thurmond Dec. 5, 1902. educated at Clemson College, he taught high school 1923-29, was county superintendent of education 1929-33, state senator 1933-38, and circuit judge 1938-42. As a U.S. Army officer 1942-46, he participated in the D-Day invasion of Normandy and won the Bronze Star.
Thurmond, governor of S.C. 1947-51, ran . . . — Map (db m12408) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — James Henry Hammond — November 15, 1809 - November 13, 1864 — Governor 1842-1844|
|In addition to serving in the U.S. Congress and Senate, Hammond was a very successful planter and agricultural entrepreneur. He coined the phrase "Cotton is King" while in the Senate. "Redcliffe", his plantation home at Beech Island, is now a state park. — Map (db m12897) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — James Strom Thurmond — December 5, 1902-June 26, 2003 — Governor 1947-1951|
|The longest serving and oldest Senator in American history, he began his public service as Edgefield County Superintendent of Education in 1929. A decorated soldier and circuit court judge, he was elected in the U.S. Senate as a write in candidate in 1954. — Map (db m12933) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — John Calhoun Sheppard — July 5, 1850 - October 17, 1931 — Governor 1886|
|He served a Speaker of the South Carolina House and was elected Lieutenant Governor in 1882 and 1884. Sheppard was a leader of the Conservative movement of the 1890's in opposition to Tillman. He is buried in Willowbrook Cemetery in Edgefield. — Map (db m12912) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — John Gary Evans — October 15, 1863 - June 22, 1942 — Governor 1894-1897|
|The youngest Governor in South Carolina history, Evans served in the House and Senate before being elected Governor. He was a veteran of the Spanish-American War and is buried in Willowbrook Cemetery in Edgefield. — Map (db m12923) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Lynch Building|
|This is the site of W.E. Lynch & Company, a drug store form 1877 until 1969. The business was founded by William Edward Lynch (1851-1896), and continued by his wife, Kate Holstein Lynch (1854-1923), and son, W. Charlton Lynch (1882-1924) for nearly a century.
William Edward Lynch had started his business career in partnership with A.A. Clisby as early as 1872, but went out on his own in 1877. His store, like many drug stores of that age, sold groceries as well. The Lynch building was . . . — Map (db m12441) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — M60A3 Main Battle Tank|
The M60A3 was designed in 1956 and entered service in 1960. The M60 is a big, tall tank with a rounded turret and heavy armor for its time. The A1 and A2 versions both fought in Vietnam. The A3 version has improved night sights, laser rather than stereoscopic rangefinder, a ballistic computer, full stabilization, reactive armor boxes plating the turret front and side, and defensive smoke systems.
Weight: 52 Tons Crew: 4 Engine: 750 HP Diesel
Max Road Speed: 48 kph Main . . . — Map (db m80343) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Martha M. Rich Building|
|This building is dedicated to Martha M. Rich for her long and faithful service to Edgefield County.
County Council Members
C. Monroe Kneece - Chairman
Samuel B. Speight - Vice Chairman
Betty Ann Butler
Hazel M. Kitchens
Wayne Adams - County Administrator
Edgefield Constriction, Inc. - General Contractors
This building was made possible with generous help from the Edgefield County Foundation. — Map (db m12629) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Milledge Luke Bonham — December 25, 1813 - August 27, 1890 — Governor 1862-1864|
|Bonham was a Colonel in the Palmetto Regiment in the Mexican war, a brigadier general during the War Between the States and served in the C.S.A. Congress prior to being elected Governor. He was the second consecutive Governor from Edgefield during the War. — Map (db m12909) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Oakley Park Museum — Witness to Edgefield's Social and Political History|
|Oakley Park was built in 1835 by a prosperous Edgefield planter, Daniel Bird. In 1841, Bird's son was tragically killed in a shoot-out in front of the Edgefield County Courthouse. Suffering great sorrow at his loss, Bird sold his home and left town to rebuild his life in Florida. In 1874, Oakley Park was purchased by a renowned Civil War military leader, Major General Martin Witherspoon Gary. The property remained in the Gary family until 1941 when it was deeded over to the Edgefield Chapter of . . . — Map (db m12410) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — 19-1 — Old Law Building|
|Site of law offices of
Francis W. Pickens
Minister to Russia
Francis H. Wardlaw
Ordinance of Secession
John C. Sheppard
James O. Sheppard
National Head "40 & 8." — Map (db m12657) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — 19-4 — Old Simkins Cemetery|
1/2 mile west, on "Ceder Fields" plantation, is buried the family of Captain Arthur Simkins, soldier in the American Revolution and a founder of Edgefield. Born in Virginia on Dec. 10, 1742, he died Sept. 29, 1826. He was a county court judge, a member of the S.C. General Assembly, and was on the commission to divide Ninety-Six District into counties. — Map (db m12333) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Original Site of Furman Academy|
Original site of Furman Academy and Theological Institution.
Marked by the Old 96 District Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
1926 — Map (db m12702) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Piedmont Technical College, Edgefield Center — Originally Adams' Warehouse|
|W.W. Adams, a prosperous Edgefield merchant and longtime Edgefield mayor, built this building in 1907 as a warehouse to serve the needs of cotton founders. The Edgefield Chronicle noted in that year: "The great brick warehouse of Mr. W.W. Adams, hard by a railroad depot, is rapidly nearing completion. And its hung and towering walls will make you think of the Bastille in Paris." At that time the economy of Edgefield County was dominated by the growing of cotton, with almost all economic . . . — Map (db m12939) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Pierce Mason Butler — April 11, 1798 - August 20, 1847 — Governor 1836-1838|
|A member of the famous Butler families of the Edgefield District, butler promoted education and the building of railroads during his term as Governor. He commanded the Palmetto Regiment during the war with Mexico where he was fatally wounded. — Map (db m12893) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Political Heritage|
|Beginning early in the 19th century, Edgefield developed a strong tradition of political leadership, contributing ten South Carolina governors, five lieutenant governors, and seven United States Senators. Many of these leaders practiced law; others were soldiers and planters.
George McDuffie led the state in the nullification movement of the 1820's and 30's. William Barrett Travis and James Butler Bonham led the fight for Texas Independence at the Alamo. Preston Brooks propelled South . . . — Map (db m12535) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Religion & Education|
|Religion has played an important part in the lives of the people of Edgefield County. In the 1760's, the great evangelist Daniel Marshall, came to this area and established Big Stevens Creek and Horn's Creek Churches. In 1826 Edgefield Baptists, together with others from around the state, established Furman Academy and Theological Institution, the forerunner of Furman University and the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. The Edgefield church later came under the leadership of the Rev. . . . — Map (db m12594) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — 19-5 — Richard Tutt House / Tutt Cemetery|
|Richard Tutt House
The Tutt house which formerly stood on this site is believed to have been the first home at Edgefield Court House. Richard Tutt was one of the party who in October 1775 arrested Tory leader Robert Cunningham and escorted him to Charleston. Later, as a lieutenant in the 5th S.C. Continentals, he served at Fort Rutledge. In the Siege of Ninety Six, he is said to have worked on the tunnel the patriots projected under Star Fort.
This family cemetery . . . — Map (db m12767) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — 19-10 — Sheppard's Crossroads|
|In 1828, this property, shown on Anderson's 1816 map as Kirksey's Tavern, was sold by John Kirksey to James Sheppard (1790-1859), state representative, merchant, and War of 1812 veteran. He and Louise Mobley, his third wife, were parents of John C. Sheppard (1850-1931), governor of South Carolina in 1886. In rear of the house is the family cemetery. — Map (db m12499) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — The Booth-Toney Shootout of 1878|
|On the 12th of August 1878, two Edgefield County families has a shootout here that left three persons dead on the Square and four others badly wounded. The Booth and Toney families were from the eastern side of the county near Trenton. There had been bad blood between them, dating back to 1869 when Benjamin Booth killed Luther Toney.
Thousands of people from all over this part of South Carolina had come to Edgefield on that August day to celebrate the second anniversary of the Election of . . . — Map (db m12459) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — The Jewish Merchants of Edgefield|
|In the years following 1900, a number of immigrant Jewish merchants moved to Edgefield and actively participated in the commercial life of the Town for nearly a century. All of these merchants sold 'dry goods," meaning textiles, ready-to-ware clothing and notions, as distinguished from hardware, jewelry and groceries.
Jacob Rubenstein (1877-1948), a native of Latvia, arrived in Edgefield around 1903, establishing a business which continued here until 1987. J. Goldsberg & Son purchased the . . . — Map (db m12412) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — The Name "Edgefield"|
|The origin of the name "Edgefield" is shrouded in mystery. There are six principle theories as to how the name may have come to be applied to this county and town:
(1) Robert Mills, in his 1826 Statistics of South Carolina, said that the district was so named because it was at the edge of the state.
(2) Others have believed that the name came about because the district line was just beyond the edge of the Revolutionary battlefield of Ninety Six.
(3) There is a tradition . . . — Map (db m12541) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Town of Edgefield Parking Lot — Formerly Southern Railroad Depot Site|
|The parking lot adjacent to this building is the site where the Southern Railroad Depot was located for many years. When the railroad arrived in Edgefield in 1888, the depot was located a quarter mile south of here, but that depot was struck by lightening and burned in 1903. Later that year the rail line was extended to Main street and a new depot building was constructed where the parking lot now lies. This passenger and freight depot was the principle link of the Town of Edgefield to the . . . — Map (db m12938) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Turner's Country Store|
|In the antebellum period this site was occupied by a store owned by Marshall Frazier, a prosperous Edgefield planter, and until the end of the 19th century, this location was known as "Frazier's Corner."
The present building was built by J.M. Cobb (1849-1912), an Edgefield merchant, on this site in early 1885, following the devastating fire of 1884. Cobb operated his dry goods business here until 1891 when he moved to the larger building next door.
In the fall of 1900, W.H. Turner . . . — Map (db m12498) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — 19-7 — Village Academy / Furman Academy and Theological Institute|
Organized in 1811, the Edgefield Village Academy was located for many years on this site acquired from Col. Eldred Simkins in 1825. The South Carolina Coeducational Institute was located here from 1903-1913. During Reconstruction, many exciting political meetings were held in the grove near the Academy.
Furman Academy and Theological Institution
This school, founded by the State Convention of Baptists of South Carolina on March 17, 1826, was originally located on . . . — Map (db m12700) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Welcome to Historic Edgefield — Home to Ten South Carolina Governors|
This Court House Square, which was identified as the site of the courthouse and jail for the newly established Edgefield District in 1785, has been the center of life here for over two centuries. Today the present courthouse, which was built in 1839, still serves as the center of government for Edgefield County.
Visitors will find many points of interest close by. The Edgefield History Wall, located in the park just beyond the northwest corner of the Square tells the story of the town . . . — Map (db m12638) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Welcome to Historic Edgefield|
Home of Ten Governors
Andrew Pickens, II * George McDuffie
* P.M. Butler * J.H. Hammond
* Francis Pickins * M.L. Bonham
* J.C. Sheppard * Ben Tillman
* J.G. Evans * Strom Thurmond
" Edgefield has had
more dashing, brilliant,
soldiers, adventurers, and
daredevils, than any
other county of
if not any rural county
The State That Forgot
Stop . . . — Map (db m47749) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Johnston — Edwards Building|
|Donated in 1998 to the Town of Johnston in memory of the "Edwards Brothers," V.E. Edwards and E.B. Edwards, by children: Mrs. V.E. Edwards, Jr., Mrs. Helen H. Herlong, Mrs Mary E. Mathis, Mrs. Iza E. Salter, and by John S. Edwards, Sr., son of E.B. Edwards.
Building was revitalized during 2000 while maintaining historical integrity. Mobley Library moved here from Academy Street in February 2001. — Map (db m12334) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Johnston — 19-12 — Johnston|
Johnston, founded in 1868 as Johnston's Station on the Charlotte, Columbia, & Augusta Railroad and also known as Johnson's Turn Out, was named for railroad president William Johnston. It was first incorporated in 1875 and rechartered with its present name of Johnston in 1897. The Johnston Historic District, a collection of 146 houses, businesses, and churches dating from ca. 1880 to ca. 1920, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. — Map (db m12338) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Johnston — Johnston Civil War Monument|
| . . . — Map (db m49454) WM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Johnston — Johnston Presbyterian Church|
|The National Register
of Historic Places
Department of Archives
Johnston Presbyterian Church — Map (db m51164) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Johnston — 19-17 — Johnston Schools / Johnston Educators|
|[Front] Johnston’s first school opened on this site in 1873. The Male and Female Academy was a boarding school, with Rev. Luther Broaddus as its first principal. Alternately a private and public school during its early history, it was reorganized in 1884 as the Johnston Male and Female Institute. It became Johnston High School when it was sold to the town in 1906. A three-story brick high school was built here in 1910; it was torn down when the school closed in 1961.
. . . — Map (db m28226) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Johnston — 19-14 — Lott's Tavern & Post Office|
|A house built for Emsley Lott about 1770, later Lott's Tavern and still later Lott's Post Office, stood here until it was demolished in 1918. Lott soon enlarged his one-room log house to become a tavern on the Columbia road. In 1839 his son John built a front room on the tavern and became the first postmaster of Lott's Post Office, the first post office in present-day Johnston. — Map (db m28225) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Johnston — William Johnston — 1817-1896|
and Augusta Railroad
Commissary General of N.C.
C.S.A. — Map (db m12343) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), North Augusta — 19-2 — Big Stevens Creek Baptist Church (Hardy's)|
Founded in 1762 by the Reverend Daniel Marshall, pioneer missionary and minister, this was the first church of the Baptist faith in the present Edgefield County, "Mother of Churches." — Map (db m12860) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), North Augusta — Birthplace of General James Longstreet|
General James Longstreet
1821 - 1904
1 air mile east — Map (db m12855) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), North Augusta — 19-11 — Lt. General James Longstreet (1821-1904)|
|Born 1 mi. E. Cmdr. 1st Corps, Army of Northern VA Confederate States Army; Lee's "Old Warhorse"; west Point graduate; Mesixan War veteran. — Map (db m12853) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Trenton — 12 Stone Monument|
|Erected in honor of the founder of Bettis Academy
Rev. Alexander Bettis
Born August 4, 1836 - Died May 13, 1895
He was a born leader and a friend of humanity.
Gone but not forgotten.
Erected by Mt. Canaan Association 1942
Deacon S. Lyod, Chairman
Professor A.W. Nicholson
is now President and has been for forty years. — Map (db m12850) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Trenton — 19-15 — Benjamin R. Tillman House|
|[Front] Benjamin Ryan “Pitchfork Ben” Tillman (1847-1918), governor of S.C. 1890-94 and U.S. senator 1894-1918, bought this farm just before he left the governor’s office in 1894. He lived here until his death. Tillman, a farmer himself, grew deeply concerned about the economic problems facing agriculture in S.C. He became politically active in 1885 as the farmers’ principal advocate.
[Reverse] A spirited and controversial orator, Tillman was a champion to the . . . — Map (db m28227) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Trenton — 19-9 — Bettis Academy|
Established as a result of the inspiration and efforts of the Reverend Alexander Bettis, this coeducational institution was incorporated in 1889 and provided elementary, high school, and junior college training for blacks. A.W. Nicholson succeeded Bettis as president and served about fifty years. The school, which closed in the 1950s, was located about 1 1/2 miles southeast. — Map (db m12795) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Trenton — Bettis Academy — 19th Century Education for African Americans|
|Bettis Academy and Junior College, a private school for African Americans, was founded in 1881 by Rev. Alexander Bettis, a former slave who was taught to read by his owner's wife, but was never taught to write. A Baptist Minister, he established Bettis Academy based on religious principles and Christian character; and served as the school's president until his death on May 13, 1895.
Its beginning was a one-room frame structure with one teacher and a few students. In addition to its . . . — Map (db m12846) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Trenton — 19 20 — Darby|
This Greek Revival House was built for Nathan L. Griffin (1903-1853), lawyer, planter, and member of the S.C. House 1838-39 and S.C. Senate 1846-1853. Griffin’s son-in-law Milledge L. Bonham ( 1813-1890) lived here with his wife Ann From their marriage in 1845 to 1861. Bonham, after serving in the S.C. House, was an Officer during the Mexican War and a U.S. Congressman 1857-1860.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other . . . — Map (db m80330) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Trenton — 19-6 — Horns Creek Baptist Church / Revolutionary Skirmish at Horns Creek|
|Horns Creek Baptist Church
This church was constituted in 1768 by the Reverend Daniel Marshall, one of the founders of the Baptist faith in this part of South Carolina. Other early ministers of Horns Creek included Hezekiah Walker, Samuel Marsh, and John Landrum. The church was incorporated on January 20, 1790.
Revolutionary War Skirmish
at Horns Creek
Not far from this historic church a skirmish took place in 1781. Captain Thomas Key of Colonel LeRoy Hammond's regiment . . . — Map (db m12769) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Trenton — Horn's Creek Church — Early Edgefield County History|
Founded in 1768 as a result of a religious revival sweeping the American colonies known as the "Great Awakening," Horn's Creek Baptist church was one of the first churches established in the South Carolina backcountry. The church quickly became the religious and social center of a large area and was the focal point of much activity during the Colonial and Revolutionary years.
During the same time as the founding of Horn's Creek Church, law-abiding . . . — Map (db m12782) HM|
|South Carolina (Edgefield County), Trenton — 19-16 — Mt. Canaan Baptist Church|
This church, founded in 1868, was one of the first black Baptist churches in this area. Alexander Bettis (1836-1895), a former slave, established this church with the assistance of three white ministers after the local Baptist association refused to ordain him. Mt. Canaan grew from seventeen charter members to more than 2,000 members in only three years.
This was the first of forty churches Rev. Alexander Bettis organized in Edgefield and Aiken . . . — Map (db m12800) HM|