Nichols came to Alabama City in 1894 to supervise construction of the Dwight Manufacturing Company. While serving as the mill's first agent, he planned and began a model mill village and was elected Mayor of Alabama City. — Map (db m18578) HM
For thousands of years, two important Indian trade routes ran across what was to become Etowah County. The “High Town Path” ran from Charlestown, S.C. west to the Mississippi River, near Memphis, TN. The “Creek Path” begins . . . — Map (db m39226) HM
On 6/18/1942 the U.S. took possession of 36,300 acres in Etowah and adjoining St. Clair County to establish Alabama's first Chemical Warfare Center. The area was dedicated on 12/25/1942 and named for U.S. Army M/G William Luther Sibert, first Chief . . . — Map (db m33304) HM
On 6/18/1942 the U.S. took possession of 36,300 acres in Etowah and adjoining St. Clair County to establish Alabama's first Chemical Warfare Center. The area was dedicated on 12/25/1942 and named for U.S. Army M/G William Luther Sibert, first Chief . . . — Map (db m75194) HM
Established as a supply camp by General Andrew Jackson, September 1813, on the banks of Big Wills Creek. It was here that Jackson directed the first campaign of the Creek War, and promoted Colonel John Coffee to Brigadier General and Captain Newton . . . — Map (db m73993) HM
In the fall of 1902, Captain William Patrick Lay, of Gadsden, began construction of a small hydro electric generating plant at the site of Wesson Mill on Big Wills Creek, just southwest of Attalla. The plant was constructed, in Lay’s words, . . . — Map (db m83730) HM
In 1851 twelve Methodists met in Newton (later Attalla) to plan a Methodist Episcopal Church. A crude log building on North Fifth Street served as the first church. In 1861 and again in 1882 the church relocated on Fifth to accommodate the growing . . . — Map (db m83731) HM
William Patrick Lay (1853-1940), founder of Alabama Power Company, built his first hydroelectric plant on Big Wills Creek about 2 miles east on Simmons Lane.
Lay purchased the Old Wesson Mill in 1902 and built a small hydroelectric generating . . . — Map (db m73995) HM
This stately Classic Revival house, built c. 1904, was the residence of Colonel Oliver Roland Hood (1867-1951), eminent Gadsden attorney and civic leader. Colonel Hood was one of the three incorporators of Alabama Power Company in 1906 and author of . . . — Map (db m83732) HM
A religious school was organized in the Nadler home for the children of 10 Jewish families in 1903. From these roots came the first formal worship service in 1908.
The cornerstone for the sanctuary was laid on March 8, 1922 with both Jewish and . . . — Map (db m51208) HM
Dwight Manufacturing Company of Chicopee, Massachusetts selected this site in Alabama City for a cotton mill in 1894. The Mill and the village covering 240 acres was constructed under the direction of Howard Gardner Nichols.
There were 160 . . . — Map (db m18575) HM
The Eleventh Street School, built in 1907, was one of the earliest elementary schools in Gadsden. It is the only local surviving school building of that era.
This two-story red brick structure has solid masonry exterior walls and an entrance which . . . — Map (db m83734) HM
Here on the morning of May 2, 1863 Emma Sansom braved the fire of Colonel Streight’s sharpshooters as she guided General Nathan Bedford Forrest and his gallant cavalrymen to the ford at this spot where they crossed Black Creek, at that time a raging . . . — Map (db m39340) HM
In memory of the Gadsden Alabama girl heroine Emma Sansom, who when the bridge across Black Creek had been burned by the enemy, mounted behind Gen. Forest and showed him a ford where his command crossed. He pursued and captured that enemy and . . . — Map (db m12297) HM
World War I
Atwood, Joe I.
Benton, Edwin J.
Buffington, Hugh G.
Campbell, Earl C.
Cason, Floyd . . . — Map (db m53844) WM
Created by state legislature on December 1, 1868 from territory taken from Cherokee, DeKalb, Marshall, Blount, St. Clair and Calhoun Counties, having originally been formed December 7, 1866 as Baine County in honor of Confederate hero David W. . . . — Map (db m83735) HM
Through the efforts of local citizens, Benny Dean and Floyd Beddingfield, the City of Gadsden obtained this facility from American Legion Post Number 5 in 1985. Built in 1935, the amphitheater seats 1600 persons. Designed by local architect, Paul W. . . . — Map (db m83736) HM
Built of local sandstone in 1935 on land obtained from the American Legion Post No. 5 this municipal amphitheatre seating about 1600 was constructed for staging theatrical and sporting events. Gadsden architect Paul W. Hofferbert designed the . . . — Map (db m39140) HM
This Italianate brick commercial structure with a cast-iron storefront on the first floor is significant for its 24 year association with Gadsden’s principal newspaper. It was constructed in 1904 to house The Gadsden Times-News, which was . . . — Map (db m39217) HM
In the early 1840’s, John S. Moragne, along with Gabriel and Joseph Hughes, began surveying for a city on the banks of the Coosa River near the settlement of Double Springs. The new city would be located on 120 acres of land at the . . . — Map (db m39139) HM
Built in 1886 for Edward Tracy Hollingsworth, a prominent merchant and banker, this two-story Victorian - style house with mansard roof is one of the few surviving examples of late-nineteenth century architecture in Gadsden. The original complex . . . — Map (db m39134) HM
On Loyalty Day this 30th day of April, 1967, we do pay honor and tribute to a great American
- Paul Harvey -
a man who has contributed much toward making this nation and especially Gadsden a better place to live. We salute a true champion of . . . — Map (db m83737) HM
On January 25, 1925 the Sisters acquired the 25 - bed Gadsden General Hospital on Chestnut Street and renamed it Holy Name of Jesus Hospital. The Hospital grew under the leadership of the Founders, Father Thomas A. Judge, C. M. and Mother Mary . . . — Map (db m39141) HM
White settlers in the hills of Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina pushed the Cherokee Indian tribes into North Alabama. The Cherokee in turn encroached upon Creek Territory. There were sporadic battles between the . . . — Map (db m83738) HM
The North Alabama Conference of the United Methodist Church was organized on this site in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South of Gadsden, Alabama
November 16, 1870
Bishop Robert Paine, presiding
The Centennial Convocation of the Conference . . . — Map (db m83739) HM
The surrounding area and this well was part of Turkey’s Town, once a capital of the proud Cherokee Nation. Chief Turkey was the principal chief during the late 1700’s.
On October 25, 1864, the Turkey Town Valley Expedition of the XV Corps Union . . . — Map (db m83740) HM
This is the site of the family home of Gadsden native General William Luther Sibert who played a major role in the construction of the Panama Canal. While serving in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, he was appointed chief engineer for the Atlantic . . . — Map (db m39253) HM
On the night of May 2nd and the morning of May 3rd, 1863, John Wisdom rode 67 miles, from Gadsden, Ala. To Rome, Ga. Under very harassing conditions, to warn the citizens of Col. A. D. Streight’s proposed march to burn and sack the city, Rome being . . . — Map (db m41001) HM