HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Evans County Markers
Georgia (Evans County), Bellville — 54-1 — Bellville
This town, named for area pioneer Frances Bell Smith, was founded in 1890 on property owned by Pulaski Sikes Smith, John M. Wood, and Benjamin Berrien Brewton in then Tattnall County. Town lots were platted adjacent to the newly laid tracks of the Savannah & Western Railroad. The railroad depot, constructed soon after the tracks were laid, served as the town`s center of commerce and social activity. Bellville rapidly gained importance as a regional transportation hub for agricultural and timber . . . — Map (db m18564) HM
Georgia (Evans County), Claxton — Claxton First United Methodist Church
First organized church in Claxton, Georgia, First Pastor -- Rev. C.S.T. Strickland Charter Members Member`s Name, Date Joined Joseph M. Bradley, May 10, 1893 Mrs. Agnes Bradley Rogers, May 10, 1893 Willis F.M. Edwards, May 10, 1893 Hattie Edwards, May 10, 1893 Mrs. Ida Edwards Sconyers, May 10, 1893 Mrs. Virginia Edwards Hendrix, May 10, 1893 Mrs. Sallie Edwards Elmore, May 10, 1893 Henry R. Elmore, August 12, 1894 Mrs Ella Elmore Edwards, August 12, 1894 . . . — Map (db m18500) HM
Georgia (Evans County), Claxton — Dedicated to All Who Served — (Evans County Georgia)
[ Emblems:] US Army, USAF US Navy, US Marines ( West face ) Evans Countians Killed in Action World War I 1917-1918 Walter A. Campbell • Robert F. Dregors • Virgil C. Teems • Herchel C. Wood ( North face ) Evans Countians Killed in Action World War II 1950-1953 Leroy Barnard • Jack M. Brandlet • Warren M. Colson • John David Daniel • Dudley A. DeLoach • Clarence Harper • Mitchell Palmer Iler • Oren . . . — Map (db m19782) WM
Georgia (Evans County), Claxton — 054-1 — Evans County
This County, created by Act of the Legislature Aug. 11, 1914, is named for Gen. Clement A. Evans, soldier, lawyer, minister, statesman & author, who died in 1911. He commanded Gordon`s old division in the last charge of the Army of Northern Virginia and surrendered under Lee at Appomattox `with guns still hot from firing until the last hour.` Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff T.W. Rogers, Ordinary W.H. Brewton, Clerk of Superior Court T.R. Tippins, Tax Receiver A.V. Smith, Tax . . . — Map (db m18498) HM
Georgia (Evans County), Claxton — 054-2 — Old Sunbury Road — <------->
The route intersecting here is the Old Sunbury Road, one of the longest vehicular thoroughfares of the post-Revolutionary Georgia. It was laid out in the early 1790’s from Greensboro via today’s Sparta, Swainsboro and Taylor’s Creek to the town of Sunbury, a port on the Midway River in Liberty County. The trace was noted for its elevated course and small number of stream crossings. When Sunbury, once a leading Georgia port, declined in commercial importance, the old road lost arterial . . . — Map (db m54091) HM
Georgia (Evans County), Daisy — Daisy United Methodist Church
1889- Sunday School and cottage prayer meetings begun 1890- Church organized and admitted to Annual Conference; George Strickland elected steward; Service held in schoolhouse 1894- Services held in Presbyterian Church 1907- Baptist Church building purchased for $300; Trustees: Hilton Moore, Clinton Strickland, L.L. Parker 1948- Present building (built in 1922 and used as a school) purchased 1989- Marker erected — Map (db m18520) HM
Georgia (Evans County), Daisy — 054-3 — Old Sunbury Road — ←——«
The highway leading south is a remnant of the Old Sunbury Road, one of the leading vehicular thoroughfares of post-Revolutionary Georgia. It was laid out in the early 1790`s from Greensboro via Sparta and Swainsboro to the Town of Sunbury, a port on the Midway River in Libery County. The long route was noted for its elevated course and few stream crossings. When Sunbury declined in commercial importance the old thoroughfare lost arterial significance. Many stretches of it however, remain in daily use. — Map (db m18621) HM
7 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 125 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.