|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — 21-29 — American Legion Post #1 / 2nd Lieutenant Fred H. Sexton|
| American Legion Post #1 This post, organized in May 1919 and chartered by national headquarters in June 1919, was the first American Legion post in S.C. Florence County veterans J.D. Smyser, R.B. Fulton, and N.S. Lachicotte represented S.C. at the first national caucus. The American Legion of S.C. held its first state caucus in Florence in July 1919. A monument to Florence County WWI veterans was erected here in 1928.
2nd Lieutenant Fred H. Sexton American Legion Post #1 is . . . — Map (db m38025) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — 21-26 — Atomic Bomb Accident at Mars Bluff, March 11, 1958|
|[Marker Front] In 1958, in the midst of the Cold War, the U.S. Air Force accidentally dropped an atomic bomb near here.
The unarmed 7,600-lb., 10'8"-long bomb was aboard a B-47E bomber on a training mission headed for England. Its high-explosive trigger detonated on impact, making a crater as large as 35 feet deep and 70 feet wide.
The bomb landed in the woods behind the asbestos-shingle sided home of railroad conductor Walter “Bill” Gregg . . . — Map (db m23628) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — 21 10 — Christ Episcopal Church|
First organized as a chapel in 1843 by the Rev. N.P. Tillinghast of Trinity Church, Society Hill, this church was formally established as Christ Church, Mars Bluff, in 1856. The Rev. Augustus Moore, who took over the chapel in 1854, became the first rector of Christ Church and served until 1876. This sanctuary, on land donated by Dr. Edward Porcher, was consecrated in 1859.
By the 1890s Christ Church became a mission church rather than a parish . . . — Map (db m20488) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — Civil War Union Burials|
One each side of this marker lie the remains of approximately 2300 Union soldiers who died as prisoners in the Florence Prison Stockade, between September 1864 and February 1865. The Stockade was located across Cemetery Street on Stockade Road. Burials are in trenches indicated by stone markers at the end of each row showing the number of individuals placed there. (over)
Names of those in trench burials were lost after the war but are being researched by . . . — Map (db m45963) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — Desert Storm|
|To the men and women who answered the call DESERT STORM 1991 — Map (db m52248) WM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — 21-5 — Ebenezer Church|
| Side A In January of 1778 Ebenezer Baptist Church was constituted by pioneer minister Evan Pugh and Richard Furman, for whom Furman University is named. Admitted to the Charleston Baptist Association in 1778, the church was incorporated in 1791 as "The Baptist Church, Ebenezer, Jeffrie's Creek." Timothy Dargan was an early minister, who served the church until his death in 1783.
Side B Through the years, this church has supported evangelism, missions, and education. One . . . — Map (db m38022) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — 21-19 — Florence Depot (1852) / Wilmington & Manchester RR|
| Florence Depot The original depot named Florence was built here in 1852, where the Wilmington & Manchester RR crossed present-day Hoffmeyer Rd. It was named for Florence Harllee (1848-1927), daughter of the railroad's president, William W. Harllee (1812-1897). In 1855 a new depot was built 2 mi. E where the railroad crossed Coit St., the Cheraw & Darlington RR, and the North Eastern RR.
Wilmington & Manchester RR The 1855 depot became the center of the city of Florence, . . . — Map (db m38023) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — Florence National Cemetery|
|The Florence National Cemetery
established in 1865
is this day re-dedicated
to the memory of all the
patriotic men and women
who answered their
country's call to service
their inspiring contribution
will help preserve in the
hearts and lives of all
Americans the spirit of
patriotism the love of
country and the willingness
to serve and sacrifice
for the common good
President of the United States
Harry N. Walters
Administrator of . . . — Map (db m45967) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — Florence Stockade Monument|
|This boulder was placed here
by the United Daughters of
the Confederacy of
Florence, S.C. January 27, 1947
To record the fact that
directly south of this spot
was situated a stockade where
6,500 Federal prisoners
1864 ~ 1865
To pay tribute to the Confederate
Soldiers and the citizens of the
community who in the line of duty
guarded these prisoners
A history of this stockade,
written by one of the guards,
has been placed in . . . — Map (db m45962) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — Florence Veterans Park|
|Florence Veterans Park Dedicated November 11, 2008 to all Pee Dee area veterans who have proudly served in the United States Armed Forces. Committee Members In recognition of their vision and commitment to this worthy project. Rick Walden, Chairman; Tom Marschel Co-Chairman; Karen Acosta, Reginald A.T. Armstrong, David Barr, Kenneth Barnes, William C. Bradham, Jr., Claudia Brown Grossman, Donnie Carter, Ron Chatham, Rev. Clifford Gade, Rocky Gannon, Drew H. Griffin, Harvey C. Jones, Bruce . . . — Map (db m52256) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — Francis Marion Memorial Highway|
|Erected in 1971 by the state of South Carolina as a memorial to General Francis Marion, the "Swamp Fox" whose guerrilla war tactics during American Revolution made him the chief scourge of the British in eastern South Carolina — Map (db m52273) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — Henry Timrod|
|Henry Timrod 1828 ~ 1867 Poet Laureate of the Confederacy ~ * ~Within this building he taught, among others, “Katie,” later to become his wife. — Map (db m54612) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — 21-15 — Hewn-Timber Cabins|
|The African Americans who built the two hewn-timber cabins that stand 200 yds. S. on Wallace Woods Road were brought to Mars Bluff as slaves in 1836. They lived in these cabins on the cotton plantation of J. Eli Gregg, in what was then Marion District. These cabins are the last two of eight that originally stood in a cotton field at what is now the center of the university campus.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
The cabins, built of 4"x9" hand-hewn timbers, . . . — Map (db m18203) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — 21-25 — Hopewell Presbyterian Church|
This church, organized ca. 1770, is the first Presbyterian church in what is now Florence County. Many of its founding families came to S.C. from Scotland and Ireland. The first church here, a frame building, stood across Old River Road with the church cemetery around it, but burned soon after it was completed.
The second church was replaced by this Greek Revival church in 1842, with its two-story portico, gallery, and original pews. Darlington (1827), . . . — Map (db m37328) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — 21-1 — Moses S. Haynsworth|
|Born in Darlington District in 1845, this Confederate War veteran witnessed the firing attack on the Union steamer Star of the West, as it attempted to reinforce Ft. Sumter Jan. 9, 1861. He participated in skirmishes at Tullifinny River near Yemassee Dec. 1864. Owner of this plantation, "Idylwild," he died in 1928, and is buried in Florence, S.C. — Map (db m38019) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — 21-23 — Pisgah Methodist Church|
| Side A This church, founded in 1806 in what was Darlington District until Florence County was founded in 1888, grew out of an early Methodist “Society.” Rev. Thomas Humphries (d. 1820), who served this and other area circuits, conducted the first service. In 1813 Dempsey Russell donated an acre to the congregation, which soon built a frame building here as its first permanent church.
Side B The church, often called “Russellís Meeting House” or . . . — Map (db m38024) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — POW * MIA|
In honor of all American Prisoners of War and Missing in Action Dedicated by Rolling Thunder South Carolina Chapter 4 Florence 2008
POW*MIA emblem, WWI, WWII, Korea, Cold War, Vietnam, Persian Gulf, Iraq, Afghanistan. Never Forget
Seals of the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard — Map (db m52250) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — Purple Heart Recipients|
|In honor of Purple Heart Recipients They paid for our freedom with blood. All gave some, some gave all. — Map (db m52252) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — September 11, 2001|
|This monument contains limestone damaged in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. It was recovered from the west facade of the Pentagon and is placed in remembrance of the 2,977 individuals killed in the attacks on our homeland. 184 perished at the Pentagon, 40 were lost on Flight 93 in Pennsylvania, and 2,753 died in New York at the World Trade Center. The events of September 11, 2001 changed our nation forever. By placing this stone, #ES 76, which was part of the Original Pentagon built . . . — Map (db m52253) WM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — The Cruiser Pee Dee, C.S.N.|
|Front The Cruiser Pee Dee, C. S. N. Built C.S.N. Navy Yard, Pee Dee, S. C. 1864 Burned to avoid capture March 15, 1865. “No Nation rose so white and fair, None fell so pure of crime.” Reverse Boulder Donated by Winnsboro Granite Co. Model by Dr. P. H. Brigham Engraving by Dr. F. H. McLeod Erection by Brown Bros. — Map (db m54660) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — The Marine Corps League of Florence, SC|
|Uncommon valor was a common virtue.
United States Marine Corps established Nov. 10, 1775
Detachment 410 chartered Oct. 14, 1977
Monument dedicated May 1, 2010
The Julian D. Dusenbury MCL detachment 410 honors all Marines who served their country in defense of freedom and liberty at home and abroad. Semper Fidelis — Map (db m52249) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — 21-2 — William Gee|
|A veteran of the Revolution, William Gee served as a private with the Continental Line of N.C. and moved to this area before 1797. He was one of the original members of the Washington Society, organized in 1803 to establish an academy on Jeffries Creek at Ebenezer. His grave is located about 250 feet southwest of here. — Map (db m38021) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — 21 21 — William H. Johnson Birthplace|
William Henry Johnson (1901-1970), one of the most important African-American artists of the 20th century, was born nearby on Cox Street. His family later lived on the corner of Cheves and Kemp Streets. In 1918, at the age of 17, Johnson moved to New York City. Johnson studied at the National Academy of Design and the Cape Cod School of Art, won several prizes, and studied art in Europe 1926-29.
Johnson, back in America in 1929-31, had . . . — Map (db m20490) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — 21-8 — William W. Harllee|
President of Wilmington & Manchester Railroad and a founder of the city of Florence, Harllee (1812-1897) was also a general in the SC Militia, signer of Ordinance of Secession, Lt. Governor (1860-62), member of the General Assembly, and president of the SC Bar Association. Both he and his daughter, from whom Florence takes its name, are buried here in Hopewell Cemetery. — Map (db m37307) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — 21-31 — Wilson School / Wilson High School|
| Wilson School Wilson School, later Wilson High School, was the first public school in Florence, and stood here from 1866 to 1906. At first a private school for black children, it was established by the New England Branch of the Freedmenís Union Commission and operated by the Freedmenís Bureau. Thomas C. Cox, its first principal, later served as Darlington County sheriff. The school became a public school after the S.C. Constitution of 1868 authorized a system of free public schools.
. . . — Map (db m38026) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — World War II Memorial|
|Dedicated to the Men and Women of Florence County who answered the call of America in World War II *and* In memory of those who gave their young lives for God and Country Placed by The United Daughters of the Confederacy of Florence, South Carolina *1947* — Map (db m52255) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — World War II Memorial|
|These pines dedicated with reverence as a living memorial to those who served in World War II Wildwood Garden Club February 2, 1945 — Map (db m54662) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — 21-6 — Young Farm|
|In 1925 U. S. Secretary of Commerce
Herbert Hoover, later U. S.
President, inspected Fred Young's
dairy farm following recognition of
one of its Jerseys, Sensation's
Mikado's Millie, as a world champion
butter-fat producer. The house here,
built c. 1877 according to family
tradition, was remodeled 1968 by
Edward L. Young, S. C. House member
1958~60, U. S. Congressman 1972~74. — Map (db m11178) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Hannah — 21-20 — Hannah|
| [Front] Hannah, named for the Hannah/Hanna family, was known as Cane Branch or Lynches River before a post office was opened here in 1887. William S. Hannah (1807-1876), a farmer and merchant, built his house nearby in 1847 and also ran a general store here; he later dropped the final "h" from the family name. This area was part of Williamsburg County until Florence County was created in 1888.
[Reverse] The Hannah Post Office, open from 1887 to 1917, served a community of . . . — Map (db m37310) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Jamestown — 21-22 — Jamestown|
| [Front] This African American community, which flourished here for 70 years, has its origins in a 105-acre tract bought in 1870 by former slave Ervin James (1815-1872). James, determined to own his own farm instead of being dependent on sharecropping or tenant farming, bought the tract from Eli McKissick and Mary Poston. His five sons and a son-in-law later divided the tract into individual farms.
[Reverse] Between 1870 and 1940 Ervin Jamesís descendants and other area . . . — Map (db m37338) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Johnsonville — 21-4 — Marion at Portís Ferry / Asbury at Portís Ferry|
|Marion at Portís Ferry. Portís Ferry, 3 miles NE on the Pee Dee, was owned and operated by Frances Port (c. 1725–1812), widow of Thomas Port, who was a member of the Provincial Congress from Prince Frederickís Parish. This was a strategic crossing for Francis Marion, who fortified it and used it frequently in his fall campaign of 1780 against British and Tories.
Asbury at Portís Ferry. During his journeys in S.C. from 1801 on, Methodist Bishop Francis Asbury often used the . . . — Map (db m27932) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Johnsonville — 21-3 — Witherspoonís Ferry / Johnsonville|
|Witherspoonís Ferry. In use during the American Revolution, Witherspoonís Ferry was the site at which Francis Marion accepted command of the Williamsburg Militia in 1780. Ownership of the ferry lands passed from Robert to John Witherspoon in 1787; in 1802 John bequeathed the land to Aimwell Presbyterian Church. The church had closed by 1820.
Johnsonville. In 1819, former South Carolina Governor David R. Williams, son-in-law of John Witherspoon, obtained these ferry lands. In 1842 . . . — Map (db m27921) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Johnsonville — Witherspoonís Ferry: Francis Marion Takes Command|
|Late in the summer of 1780, Maj. Gen. Horatio Gates led a Continental army toward South Carolina to attempt to roll back the British conquest of the province. As Gates prepared to meet the British at Camden, he sent Col. Francis Marion ~ a Continental officer who had only escaped the fall of Charleston because of a broken ankle ~ south towards the Santee River to gather the local militia forces and prevent a British retreat. On August 17, 1780, leading a ragtag band of fewer than twenty men, . . . — Map (db m53899) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Lake City — 21-9 — Browntown|
|This area is part of several royal landgrants to Moses Brown in 1768-69 which developed into a family community known as Browntown. Family holdings here eventually comprised over 8,000 acres. Many indications of pioneering ingenuity and farm-related industry remain, including a notable cotton gin with wooden gears which continued operating through the late 19th Century — Map (db m39094) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Lake City — 21-16 — Greater St. James A.M.E. Church|
| [Front] This church was founded in 1883 by a Rev. Hill and twenty-five charter members. Early services were held in a memberís house on E. Main Street. The congregation purchased a lot at the corner of Lake and N. Church Streets in 1885 and built its first sanctuary, a frame building, that year. That church was renovated and enlarged in 1917. It was further renovated, adding a steeple, in 1948-50.
[Reverse] In 1951 Rev. J.A. DeLaine (1898-1974) was transferred from Pine . . . — Map (db m37309) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Lake City — 21-28 — Lake City|
| [Front] This area, in what was then Williamsburg Township, was settled as early as 1754 by members of the Dick, Graham, McAllister, Scott, and other families. Several residents served under Francis Marion during the Revolution. By the 1820s this community was sometimes called “the crossroads” for the intersection of two major roads (one from Georgetown to Camden, the other from Charleston to Cheraw), now Main and Church Streets.
[Reverse] This area was known as . . . — Map (db m37311) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Mars Bluff — 21-17 — Mt. Zion Methodist Church|
| [Front] This church, founded in 1868 with Rev. James Wesley Johnson as its first minister, held its early services in a brush arbor. In 1870 trustees purchased this 1 ĺ acre tract to build a “Negro Schoolhouse” sponsored by the church, the first in the Mars Bluff community. This sanctuary, originally a frame building, was built in 1875 on a tract purchased from the school.
[Reverse] The sanctuary was extensively remodeled and covered in brick veneer in 1970. . . . — Map (db m37336) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Mars Bluff — 21-14 — Mt. Zion Rosenwald School|
| [Front] This school, built in 1925, was the first public school for African American students in the Mars Bluff community. One of more than 5000 schools in the South funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation, it features a standard two-classroom plan typical of the rural schools built by the foundation between 1917 and 1932.
[Reverse] The first school here, a private school built by Mt. Zion Methodist Church in 1870, burned in the early 1920s. Mt. Zion Rosenwald . . . — Map (db m37335) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Mars Bluff — 21-27 — Red Doe|
|[Front] This house was built in 1846 for Evander A. Gregg (1818-1874), a planter in what was Marion District. Its high masonry basement and porch form, indigenous to northeastern S.C., make it a fine example of a raised Carolina cottage. It was acquired by R.L. Singletary (1830-1910) in 1867 and by J.W. Wallace (1861-1928) in 1912. The plantation was named Red Doe in the 1930s.
[Reverse] “Red Doe” refers to an incident during the Revolution when Patriot scout . . . — Map (db m37306) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Mill Branch — Burch's Mill: ó South Carolinaís First Civil War Nears Itís End|
|In South Carolina, the Revolutionary War had many of the characteristics of a civil war, with those who supported independence, (the Whigs or Patriots) fighting against neighbors and kinsfolk who remained loyal to the King (the Tories or Loyalists). Both sides commandeered food, supplies, horses, and livestock from the rural population, while most of the people ~ black, white, and red ~ probably just wanted to be left alone. Late in the spring of 1782, with the British military efforts in . . . — Map (db m53714) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Pamplico — 21-7 — Dewitt Bluff|
| [Front] Located about 1/2 mile east, this bluff, part of a Royal landgrant to Edward Crofts in 1740, was named for the DeWitt family, who settled nearby prior to 1767. This area of Prince Frederick Parish was known as Queensborough Township, one of 11 such townships planned by the British Crown in 1730 to foster settlement and protect the interior of the province.
[Reverse] The bluff named for the DeWitt family who settled in this area before 1767 is located about 1/2 . . . — Map (db m37313) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Quinby — 21-13 — Ney School / Back Swamp School|
| Ney School About 1843 Robert Rogers (1808-1882), a planter at "Blooming Grove" in the Back Swamp community of what was then Darlington District, built a plantation schoolhouse and hired Peter Stuart Ney (d. 1846) to teach his children. The original building, moved here in 1870, was later the library for Back Swamp School (1921-1950). In 1970 it was moved to the home of Evander McIver Ervin.
Back Swamp School This school, the second on the site, was built in 1921 by Back Swamp . . . — Map (db m37334) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Quinby — 21-11 — Roseville Plantation|
| [Front] Roseville Plantation was established by a royal grant before the American Revolution and a house was built here ca. 1771 for the Dewitt family. Richard Brockinton (d. ca. 1843), planter and state representative, purchased Roseville in 1821. Most of the house burned ca. 1832, and a second house was built on the original foundation for Brockinton and his wife Mary Hart about 1835.
[Reverse] In the 1850s the plantation passed to the Brockintons' nephew Peter Samuel . . . — Map (db m37327) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Quinby — 21-18 — Roseville Plantation Slave And Freedman's Cemetery / Clarke Cemetery|
| Roseville Plantation Slave And Freedman's Cemetery This was originally the slave cemetery for Roseville Plantation. Roseville, established about 1771 by the Dewitt family, was later owned by the Brockinton, Bacot, and Clarke families from the 1820s through the Civil War. A 1200-acre plantation, it had more than 100 slaves living and planting cotton here by 1850.
Clarke Cemetery This cemetery is sometimes called “the Clarke Cemetery” after the family that owned . . . — Map (db m37337) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Quinby — 21-12 — William R. Johnson House / The Columns|
| William R. Johnson House This Greek Revival house was built ca. 1854 for William R. Johnson, (1813-1893), physician, planter, and legislator in what was then Marion District. Johnson, an 1838 graduate of the Medical College of S.C., later served in the S.C. House of Representatives 1852-55 and the S.C. Senate 1860-63; he died here in 1893 and is buried at nearby Hopewell Presbyterian Church.
The Columns After Walter L. Rankin of N.C. acquired the house in 1902, Mrs. Rankin named . . . — Map (db m37330) HM|
|South Carolina (Florence County), Timmonsville — 21-24 — The Assassination Of Rep. Alfred Rush|
| [Front] Alfred Rush (d. 1876), a black state representative for two terms during Reconstruction, was assassinated near here, about 1/2 mi. from his home, on May 13, 1876. Rush, who represented what was then Darlington County in the S.C. House 1868-70 and 1874-76, was also a deacon at Savannah Grove Baptist Church.
[Reverse] Rush and his wife, returning from a picnic at Mt. Carmel Church near Timmonsville, were ambushed by an unknown gunman. Alfred Rush was killed . . . — Map (db m37339) HM|