HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Fluvanna County Markers
Virginia (Fluvanna County), Bremo Bluff — F 52 — Bremo
The nearby Bremo properties include three separate houses, all built by planter, soldier and reformer Gen. John Hartwell Cocke (1780 - 1866) on his family's 1725 land grant. The three properties - Bremo, Lower Bremo, and Recess - and their associated outbuildings were erected under Cocke's supervision. Bremo, completed in 1820, is an excellent example of Palladian-style architecture. Its design is the result of collaboration between Cocke and master builder John Neilson, who worked for Thomas . . . — Map (db m28070) HM
Virginia (Fluvanna County), Columbia — GA 32 — Point of Fork
Here was an important supply depot and arsenal of the Virginia government in 1781, and here Baron von Steuben, commanding the American forces, trained recruits for Green's army in the South. Threatened by Cornwallis's approach, Steuben moved stores across James River. On June 4, 1781, Colonel Simcoe, with his cavalry, made Steuben believe that the whole British army was at hand. Steuben retreated, leaving stores to be destroyed. — Map (db m31602) HM
Virginia (Fluvanna County), Columbia — GA 34 — Rassawek
Rassawek, the principal town of the Monacan Indians, stood nearby, according to Capt. John Smith's 1612 map of Virginia. Several smaller satellite villages were located within a few miles of Rassawek. The Monacans, who belonged to the Siouan language group and were enemies of the Powhatans to the east, occupied Virginia's Piedmont until the expanding English colony pushed them to the west and south. A century after the founding of Jamestown in 1607, only remnants of the tribe survived. Monacan . . . — Map (db m31603) HM
Virginia (Fluvanna County), Dixie — Fluvanna County World War Memorial
In honor of the men and women of Fluvanna County who served in World Wars I and II — Map (db m31354) HM
Virginia (Fluvanna County), Dixie — F-50 — Point of Fork
Four miles southeast is Point of Fork, near which an Indian village stood in 1607. In the Revolution a state arsenal was there. In June, 1781, Simcoe, sent by Cornwallis with a small force to destroy the stores there, succeeded in making Baron Steuben, the American commander, believe the whole British Army to be near. Steuben retreated, leaving the stores to be destroyed. — Map (db m17760) HM
Virginia (Fluvanna County), Fork Union — Abraham Seay
Memorial to Abraham SeayIn 1745 Abraham Seay, French Huguenot settler was granted Leters Patent from King George for land which includes these church grounds, Military Academy campus, and the nucleus of the village of Fork Union. Abraham, his son Austin - a Revolutionary War soldier, and other early kin are buried one mile east near the site of the Seay house which stood for 190 years. — Map (db m31355) HM
Virginia (Fluvanna County), Fork Union — GA-33 — Fork Union Academy
First classes of Fork Union Academy were held here October 15, 1898 in the residence of Susie Payne Cooper. Established as a co-educational English and classical school, it became Fork Union Military Academy for boys in 1903. Organized by 10 guarantors who were members of Fork Church, the Academy was sustained mainly by private contributions from the Fork Union community until 1913 when it became affiliated with the Baptist denomination. — Map (db m12329) HM
Virginia (Fluvanna County), Fork Union — GA-39 — Fork Union Baptist Church
Fork Union Baptist Church was constituted in 1798. Presbyterian, Episcopal, Methodist, and Baptist congregations shared as a place of worship the current church, built in 1824 and first known as the Brick Meetinghouse. Gen. John Hartwell Cocke, a local plantation owner who assisted Thomas Jefferson in establishing the University of Virginia, was its architect. It is the oldest Church building in Fluvanna County in continuous use for that purpose. In 1898, ten of its members became . . . — Map (db m18302) HM
Virginia (Fluvanna County), Fork Union — F-48a — Fork Union Military Academy
Founded in 1898 by Dr. William E. Hatcher with the assistance of Charles G. Snead, Fork Union Academy established military training as part of the curriculum in 1902. It served as a coeducational school until 1909, when the trustees transformed it into an all-male academy. In 1913, it was renamed Fork Union Military Academy and became affiliated with the Baptist General Association of Virginia. From 1919 to 1965, the Academy operated a Junior Reserve Officer Training Candidate program. The . . . — Map (db m18307) HM
Virginia (Fluvanna County), Fork Union — F-99 — John Jasper
The Rev. John Jasper, one of the best known black preachers of the 19th century in Virginia was born a slave in Fluvanna County on 4 July 1812. After working in a tobacco factory, Jasper had a religious awakening in the later 1830s and became a preacher. Self-educated, Jasper was renowned for his fiery oratorical style and for the sermon “De Sun Do Move,” first delivered in 1878 and preached to more than 250 audiences, including the Virginia General Assembly. He organized the Sixth . . . — Map (db m12275) HM
Virginia (Fluvanna County), Kents Store — Z 25 — Fluvanna County / Goochland County
(obverse) Fluvanna County Area 285 Square Miles Formed in 1777 from Albemarle. Named (in Latin) Anne's River, the early name for the upper James given in honor of Queen Anne. Point of Fork was an important supply depot in 1781. (reverse) Goochland County Area 287 Square Miles Formed in 1727 from Henrico, and named for William Gooch, Governor of Virginia, 1727-1749. Cornwallis and Lafayette passed through this county in 1781. — Map (db m54220) HM
Virginia (Fluvanna County), Palmyra — F-51 — “Texas Jack” Omohundro Birthplace
J. B. “Texas Jack” Omohundro was born at Pleasure Hill Farm about 1 mile west of here on July 26, 1846. At age 17 he served as a scout under the command of General J.E.B. Stuart. Later he was renowned as a scout and heroic plainsman of the old west. Texas Jack with his friend W. F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody started the first “Wild West” shows in America. He died in Leadville, Colorado, June 28, 1880. — Map (db m11676) HM
Virginia (Fluvanna County), Palmyra — Fluvanna County Confederate Memorial
To the memory of The Confederate soldiers of Fluvanna County 1861-1865. — Map (db m31360) HM
Virginia (Fluvanna County), Palmyra — F-49 — Fluvanna County Courthouse
The Fluvanna County Courthouse is one of the few in the state to retain its original configuration. Fluvanna County was formed from part of Albemarle County in 1777 with the county seat located on the southeast side of the Rivanna River. In 1828 Palmyra was selected as the new county seat, and the present courthouse was erected in 1830 by the Reverend Walker Timberlake and John Hartwell Cocke of nearby Bremo. Cocke also prepared the plans for the stone jail, built in 1828, which now houses the Fluvanna County Historical Society’s museum. — Map (db m11591) HM
Virginia (Fluvanna County), Palmyra — F-48 — S. C. Abrams High School
Fluvanna County dedicated its only African American High School on 21 Nov. 1936 and named it the S.C. Abrams High School to honor the Rev. Samuel Christopher Abrams, who served as the county supervisor for the black schools and also as minister in several Baptist churches. Before 1934 black students had to leave the county to attend high school, but in 1934 a temporary high school opened in a wood-frame building adjacent to New Fork Baptist Church. By 1936 money raised by the black community . . . — Map (db m11706) HM
Virginia (Fluvanna County), Palmyra — The “Regular” Methodist Conference
Close by, May 18, 1779, “at Roger Thompson’s, near the Broken-Back Church,” began the “Regular” Methodist Conference composed of some of the most devoted and successful Methodist preachers, a large majority of the whole. Assent was given to the insistent demand for the holy sacraments from those through whom thousands had been converted. A presbytery was appointed, preachers were ordained. After one year, for the sake of peace, they were desisted and appealed to Wesley. . . . — Map (db m16917) HM
Virginia (Fluvanna County), Zion Crossroads — Z-23 — Louisa County / Fluvanna County
Louisa County. Located in the heart of the Virginia Piedmont, this rural county was named for Louisa, a daughter of George II. It was formed from Hanover county in 1742, the county seat is Louisa. Among the county’s historic resources is the Green Springs Historic District including Boswell’s Tavern, which was used on one occasion during the Revolution as headquarters of the Marquis de Lafayette. Other landmarks include the monumental Louisa bounty courthouse and the old jail. . . . — Map (db m17751) HM
17 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 125 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.