“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Franklin Virginia Historical Markers

Lower left picture, image, Click for more information
"Can't Is Not in the Camp's Vocabulary" Marker, Union Camp Corporation, `
Lower left picture,
Virginia, Franklin — "Can't Is Not in the Camp's Vocabulary"
Paul and James Camp started P.D. Camp and Company, a lumber business, in 1877. The brothers bought R.J. Neely's sawmill in 1886 and established Camp Manufacturing Company in 1887. The original Franklin mill was steam powered and lay on a . . . — Map (db m51001) HM
Virginia, Franklin — Battle of Franklin “Jumping out of bed”
The war seemed far from Franklin when Union forces captured Roanoke Island and the North Carolina Sounds in February 1862. In May, however, when they occupied Norfolk and Suffolk to control both coastal Virginia and North Carolina, suddenly the war . . . — Map (db m18135) HM
Virginia, Franklin — UT 20 — Blackwater Line - Franklin
A major Blackwater River crossing was located here at Franklin during the Civil War. Confederate forces guarded the crossing from 1862 to the end of the war as part of the Blackwater defensive line. Several skirmishes were fought around the . . . — Map (db m69784) HM
Virginia, Franklin — U 131 — Camp Family Homestead
George Camp, Jr. (1793-1879) acquired this land in 1826. Several of his children incorporated the Camp Manufacturing Company in 1887 to operate sawmills. The company expanded into a wood product manufacturing company and later a paper mill. . . . — Map (db m69463) HM
Virginia, Franklin — U-125 — Camp Manufacturing Company
This industrial complex evolved from a sawmill that operated here prior to the Civil War. In 1887, three brothers, Paul D. Camp, James L. Camp, and Robert J. Camp, founded Camp Manufacturing Company, later Union Camp Corporation The lumbering . . . — Map (db m69786) HM
Virginia, Franklin — Confederate Commissary Center Swimming in Bacon
Before the Civil War erupted, Franklin became a regional transportation and commercial center for the Blackwater-Chowan River basin because the seaboard and Roanoke Railroad connected with steamship lines here. When the war began, the town . . . — Map (db m18133) HM
Virginia, Franklin — U 126 — Franklin
Incorporated as a town in 1876, Franklin began as a Southampton County village in the 1830s. In October, 1862, during the Civil War, Union gunboats on the Blackwater River shelled the town and the railroad station. Several skirmishes occurred nearby . . . — Map (db m18144) HM
Virginia, Franklin — Recovery and Progress
Franklin's location at the junction of a railroad and important water route offered opportunities that attracted new people, so the town rapidly recovered from the War. In 1866 the Albemarle steam Navigation Company was reorganized and the Seaboard . . . — Map (db m52133) HM
Virginia, Franklin — The Age of Gasoline (Franklin, Virginia)
Between 1907 and 1930 Franklin witnessed a revolution in transportation as gasoline-powered vehicles replaced the horse and buggy and steam- powered transportation. Even as Franklin benefited from a boom in buggy making during the first . . . — Map (db m51062) HM
Virginia, Franklin — The Age of Steam (Franklin, Virginia)
The conjunction of the Portsmouth & Roanoke Railroad and the Blackwater River in 1835 made this site, then a swampy wilderness, a natural link between the towns of the Chowan and Albemarle Sound and points to the northeast. The . . . — Map (db m51216) HM
Virginia, Franklin — The Barretts: A Franklin Pioneer Family
In 1847 one of Franklin's most influential couples, Richard and Mary Rebecca Murfee Barrett, married and received a 260 acre farm from Mary's father, Simon. The couple built a house near the center of the new settlement and began . . . — Map (db m50456) HM
Virginia, Franklin — The Blackwater Line “That little stream has ... saved us”
To protect Richmond from a Union attack from Suffolk, Confederate authorities fortified the Blackwater River in 1862. You are standing on the Blackwater Line. The intermittent earthworks stretched fifty miles from north of Zuni to the North Carolina . . . — Map (db m18134) HM
Virginia, Franklin — War Comes to the Blackwater
During the first three years of the War Between the States, the Franklin railhead was the terminus of the Blackwater - Chowan corridor. The Confederate commissary used this route to deliver the millions of pounds of goods from eastern North Carolina . . . — Map (db m18146) HM
Virginia (Southampton County), Franklin — UT 22 — Blackwater Line - Joyner's Ford
Confederate forces guarded this Blackwater River crossing from 1862 to the end of the Civil War. On 12 Dec. 1862, Capt. J. H. Sikes and soldiers of Company D, 7th Confederate Cavalry, were captured during a dismounted skirmish with elements of the . . . — Map (db m18159) HM
Virginia (Southampton County), Franklin — U-119 — Marle Hill
Birthplace of Colgate Whitehead Darden, Jr. 1897-1981 Soldier-Educator-Statesman Veteran World War I Member of the General Assembly of Virginia Member of the United States Congress Governor of Virginia President of the . . . — Map (db m48529) HM
Virginia (Southampton County), Franklin — US 6 — South Quay
Nearby along the eastern bank of the Blackwater River once existed the community of South Quay, also sometimes called South Key, Old Quay, or Old South Quay. Founded by 1657, South Quay by 1701 had become the site of a landing and trading post. A . . . — Map (db m18181) HM
Virginia (Southampton County), Franklin — U 116 — The Hand Site
East of here near the Nottoway River stood a Late Woodland Indian settlement occupied intermittently circa A.D. 700 to 1650, and long claimed by the Cheroenhaka (Nottoway). Excavated in the 1960s, occupation phases included features such as a . . . — Map (db m60635) HM
Virginia (Southampton County), Franklin — US 3 — William Mahone's Birthplace
Three and a half miles southwest, at Monroe, Major-General William Mahone was born, December 1, 1826. He served brilliantly in the Confederate army throughout the war, and won the title, "Hero of the Crater," at Petersburg, July 30, 1864. He was . . . — Map (db m18153) HM

36 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement