HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Georgetown County Markers
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Andrews — 22-59 — Dissenter Meeting House and Cemetery
Front This is the site of a "Dissenter" meeting house, built ca. 1726 by one of the first Baptist congregations in S.C. outside of Charleston. It was founded by Rev. Elisha Screven (d. 1754). The elder Screven had founded a Baptist congregation in Charleston as early as 1696. Reverse Presbyterians and other "Dissenters" who did not belong to the Anglican church were also allowed to hold services here. Presbyterians soon outnumbered the rest. By 1742 they built a new church . . . — Map (db m54964) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Andrews — Georgetown County National Guard Memorial
To our Guardsmen and Families of the 1 BN 178 FA: In appreciation for your sacrifices, bravery and loyalty during Operation Iraqi Freedom (2004~2005) From the Citizens of Georgetown County — Map (db m55063) WM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Andrews — 22-10 — Skirmish At Black Mingo Creek
On Sept. 14, 1780, Gen. Francis Marion's Patriots routed a Tory force commanded by Capt. J. Coming Ball. The Tories, attacked on one flank by Capt. Thomas Waties and on the other by Col. Peter Horry, fled into Black Mingo Swamp. The short but sharply-contested action cost each side nearly one-third of its men. — Map (db m27319) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Bell Isle Gardens — 22-39 — Retreat Rice Plantation
In 1711 the Lords Proprietors granted Winyah Barony to Robert Daniel, who sold it to Thomas Smith. By 1787 Retreat had been carved from the 12000-acre grant. — Map (db m17011) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Dunbar — 22-41 — Prince George Winyah Parish / Prince Frederick’s Parish(1721) / (1834)
Prince George Winyah Parish (1721). Early settlement in this area near the Black River, based primarily on the Indian trade and the production of naval stores, prompted the creation of Prince George Winyah Parish in 1721. When the first Anglican church to serve the parish was built in 1726 Governor Francis Nicholson made a donation towards its construction. The Rev. Thomas Morritt became the first rector of Prince George Winyah in 1728. Prince Frederick’s Parish (1734). Within a . . . — Map (db m17008) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 1st Battalion 178th Field Artillery
To our Guardsmen and Families of the 1 BN 178 FA: In appreciation for your sacrifices, bravery and loyalty during Operation Iraqi Freedom (2004-2005) From the Citizens of Georgetown County — Map (db m31642) WM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 24 Pound Naval GunCirca 1800
Cast by the Hughes Foundry near Havre de Grace, Maryland about 1800. The Defense Act of 1794 authorized 180 similar guns to be manufactured. This gun is one of three known to exist today. Two similar guns are in Savannah, Georgia. This gun is marked with the Federal Eagle, serial number and weight. The gun weighs over 5000 pounds and is similar to guns that were used on the United States Frigate Constitution "Old Ironsides". Capable of shooting a 24 pound cannon ball about six inches in . . . — Map (db m30411) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 718 Front Street— Georgetown, S.C. —
Heritage Site 2005 718 Front Street Built 1937 D.C. Simpkins CB Schooler Optometrist 1962 - 2001 — Map (db m70232) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 724 Front Street— Georgetown, S.C. —
Heritage Site 2005 724 Front Street Built 1937 by Abrams Brothers Walgreen's Drug Store 1937 - 1978 — Map (db m70249) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 726 Front Street
Heritage Site 2005 726 Front Street Built 1936 Morris Abrams Palace Theater 1936 - 1963 — Map (db m70303) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 732 - 734 Front Street— Georgetown, S.C. —
Heritage Site 2005 732 - 734 Front Street Built 1906 J B Steele People's Bank 1906 - 1924 — Map (db m70329) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-17 — Antipedo Baptist Church / Old Baptist Cemetery
Antipedo Baptist Church. In the plan of Georgetown, laid out by 1730, this one acre lot was reserved for Antipedo Baptist by Elisha Screven. A brick building built before the Revolution for the Baptists, Presbyterians, and independents housed the area Baptists who were constituted 1794. By 1804 its congregation had built “a handsome and commodious wooden meetinghouse” on this lot, commanding a view of the whole town from the front. Old Baptist Cemetery. among the graves . . . — Map (db m4889) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-1 — Attacks Upon Georgetown
On January 24, 1781 Capts. Carnes and Rudolph, by orders from Gen. Marion and Col. Lee, surprised the British garrison at Georgetown and captured Col. Campbell. Upon Gen. Marion’s second approach, June 6, 1781, the British evacuated the town. Gen. Marion seized the stores, demolished the works, and retired. — Map (db m21860) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Belle W. Baruch(1899 - 1964)
Belle Wilcox Baruch, with great love and foresight for Hobcaw Barony, provided a plan that enables generations of people to understand and learn from Hobcaw's forests, marshes, and beaches. In 1936, Bellefield Plantation became Belle's winter home. Here she enjoyed horseback riding, flying and the natural beauty of the property. Her appreciation developed into a strong obligation to see that Hobcaw's resources be maintained and protected. Through her will, Belle established the Belle W. . . . — Map (db m39643) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-44 — Beth Elohim Cemetery
This cemetery, established ca. 1772, is the second oldest Jewish cemetery in the state and serves a community which has been significant here since well before the American Revolution. Abraham Cohen and Mordecai Myers, who opened stores in the town in 1762 and 1772, are buried here, as is Heiman Kaminski, who arrived in Georgetown in 1856 and was one of its most prominent businessmen by the turn of the century. The Jewish community has emphasized leadership and public service from the . . . — Map (db m4857) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-22 — Bethel Church
This African Methodist Episcopal Church was the first separate black church in Georgetown County. It was established by the Rev. A. T. Carr shortly after the 1863 Emancipation Proclamation which freed the slaves. The church purchased this property Jan. 15, 1866, and remodeled the present building in 1908 when the Rev. R. W. Mance was minister. The educational building was built in 1949 under the pastorate of Rev. H. B. Butler, Jr. — Map (db m7244) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-40 — Bethesda Baptist Church
Organized shortly after the Civil War with Rev. Edward Rhue as its first pastor, Bethesda Baptist Church purchased this site by 1867. Construction of this sanctuary began in 1922 during the pastorate of Rev. A.W. Puller and was completed and dedicated during the pastorate of Rev. G. Going Daniels in 1927. Rev. W.A. Johnson served as Bethesda’s pastor from 1956 until his death in 1995. — Map (db m7859) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-25 — Birthplace of Jeremiah John Snow / China Grove Plantation
Birthplace of Jeremiah John Snow. China Grove was the birthplace of the Reverend Jeremiah John Snow (1836–1892), a son of the third James Snow who lived here. He entered the Methodist Conference in 1863, and was a chaplain in the Third Regiment, South Carolina Troops, in the Civil War. Later he was a circuit-riding minister. His grave is at Union Church. China Grove Plantation. China Grove, located on the Old Stage Road to Indiantown, near its junction with the Britton’s Ferry . . . — Map (db m16513) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — City of Georgetown
September 17, 2005, the City of Georgetown, South Carolina celebrated two events: The Tricentennial of the first King's Grant in present Georgetown County on September 15, 1705, and the Bicentennial of Georgetown's incorporation in 1805. The grant to the John Perry family is the land on which Georgetown was founded by Elisha Screven in 1729. Screven never had clear title, so settlement was made in 1737 that returned unsold lots to Mary Perry Cleland and her husband, John. In 1785, forty-nine . . . — Map (db m31611) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-5 — Clifton Plantation
President George Washington on his southern tour traveled southward over this road, April 27-30, 1791. While in this vicinity the day and night of April 29, he was the guest of Captain William Alston on this plantation, Clifton, which was originally a part of the Hobcaw Barony. — Map (db m4877) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Company A, 10th South Carolina Infantry RegimentGeorgetown Confederate Memorial
(Front):1861 to 1865 Privates J.C. Dennis. W.H. Deal. B.A. Deal, wd. July 22, '64, Atlanta. J.C. Deal, discharged, over age, since died. S.C. Davis, captured, Missionary Ridge, since died. J.W. Durant, discharged 1862, since died. J.L. easterling, promoted second lieutenant. E.C. Ellis, wounded, Atlanta, July 22, disabled. G.L. Ellis, wounded, Chickamauga. St. John P. Ellis, discharged, over age, since died. D.J. Elliott. Z.P. Elliott, since died. Washington Emanuel, died of . . . — Map (db m31789) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-28 — Elisha Screven / William Screven
Elisha Screven. Elisha Screven, founder of Georgetown, was a younger son of William, who owned and lived his final years on these Wynyah lands. To promote settlement here, Elisha planned a town, to be called Georgetown, which reserved lots for Anglican, Presbyterian, and Baptist churches, as well as for a school and other public buildings. Retained in the plan was this Screven family Cemetery. The town had been laid out by 1730. William Screven. In this cemetery is buried William . . . — Map (db m7604) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-42 — First Baptist Church
This congregation, founded in 1794 and long known as Antipedo Baptist Church, was the first separate Baptist congregation in Georgetown. Baptists had worshipped in the area as early as 1710, sharing the Black Mingo Meeting House with Presbyterians and later sharing the Old Brick Church with other denominations during the period when the Church of England was the only officially-recognized church in South Carolina. Antipedo Baptist Church was located on Church St. by 1804. A later . . . — Map (db m7953) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Francis Marion
To the honor and glory of Francis Marion and his men who under extreme hardships did such valued service for the independence of their country in the War of the American Revolution. — Map (db m23551) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-6 — Gabriel Marion
When Capt. John Nelson, sent by Gen. Marion, Jan., 1781, to the Sampit Road to reconnoitre, met Capt. Barfield and his Tories near White’s Bridge, a sharp fight ensued. Lieut. Gabriel Marion, nephew of Gen. Marion, was captured and inhumanely shot about a quarter mile north of here. His name was fatal to him. — Map (db m16365) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-23 — General Arthur M. Manigault
Volunteer aide-de-camp to Gen. Beauregard in April 1861, mustered into Confederate service at White’s Bridge near here on July 19, 1861, as Colonel of the 10th Regiment, S.C. Infantry, promoted Brigadier General on April 26, 1863, wounded at the Battle of Franklin Nov. 30, 1864. Gen. Manigault died Aug.16, 1886, at his South Island plantation. — Map (db m16378) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-2 (Q) — Georgetown
Georgetown, the third oldest town in the state, was laid out in 1729 by Elisha Screven on land granted to John and Edward Perrie, Sept. 15, 1705, and deeded by him, Jan. 18, 1734, to George Pawley, William Swinton, and Daniel La Roche, Trustees. It was made a Port of Entry in 1732. — Map (db m7422) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-46 — Georgetown County Courthouse
This courthouse, designed by prominent architect and South Carolina native Robert Mills (1781–1855), was built in 1823–24 to replace a courthouse which had been damaged by two hurricanes. Mills himself, who also designed the Washington Monument, called this courthouse “a great ornament to the town.” A modern Mills scholar has described it as “the most sophisticated of his South Carolina courthouses.” An initial appropriation of $12,000 was approved . . . — Map (db m7634) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Georgetown County Veteran’s MemorialFor God and Country
Monument: Dedicated to the memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice and in honor of all who served their country in time of need Footer stone: Sponsored by American Legion Post 114 Post 173 Post 243 Disabled American Veterans Chapter 62 Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6444 Post 10420 Committee Bernard T. Hamlin, Chm. Charles T. Mayer, Funds Chmn. Keith M. Harper, Sec. James F. Murphy, . . . — Map (db m39646) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Georgetown Steel Corporation
Georgetown Steel Corporation converts iron ore imported from South America and Canada in to premium-grade steel wire rod that ultimately is used in the manufacturing of radial tires, pre-stressed concrete strand and dozens of commercial and industrial applications. About 800,000 tons of raw iron ore are delivered to GSC through the Port of Georgetown every year. The ore is refined and processed at the mill's Direct Reduced Iron (DRI) plant - the only such on-site facility in operation in the . . . — Map (db m31641) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-57 — Hobcaw Barony
[Marker Front]: In 1718 the Lords Proprietors granted 12,000 acres on Hobcaw Point, the southern portion of Waccamaw Neck, to John, Lord Carteret. The barony was subdivided beginning in 1766, creating several large rice plantations which flourished until the Civil War. In 1905- 07 Bernard M. Baruch (1870-1965), Camden native and Wall Street financier, aquired these tracts for a winter retreat. [Marker Reverse]: Bernard Baruch was an advisor to presidents from . . . — Map (db m16288) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-3 — Hopsewee
Thomas Lynch, Jr., signer of the Declaration Of Independence, was born here Aug. 5, 1749. He was elected from St. James Parish, Santee, to 1st Provincial Congress, Dec. 19, 1774; to 2nd Provincial Congress, Aug. 7-8, 1775; to the Continental Congress, Mar, 23, 1776; Commissioned captain, provincial troops, June 17, 1775; served on committee to draft constitution for South Carolina, 1776. He was lost at sea, 1779. — Map (db m16299) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-21 — Howard School
After purchasing this land January 1, 1866, Georgetown Colored Academy built a school here. By 1908 the old building ad been torn down and a new school built, its name changed to Howard. The elementary department moved into a new structure on Kaminski Street in 1938; the high school followed in 1949. After the 1984 graduation, predominantly black Howard merged with mostly white Winyah School to form Georgetown High School. — Map (db m7864) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-48 — John and Mary Perry Cleland House
This house, one of Georgetown’s earliest, was built ca. 1737 by John and Mary Perry Cleland. Mrs. Cleland inherited the property from her father John Perry, who had been granted a large tract in 1705 including the site of present-day Georgetown. This house is a raised tidewater residence with its main entrance facing the Sampit River. It features elements of the Georgian and Federal styles. In 1753 the house was purchased by the Cleland’s nephew Archibald Baird. He made small additions to . . . — Map (db m7863) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-37 — Joseph Hayne Rainey
This National Historic Landmark was the family home of Joseph H. Rainey, the first African American elected to the US House of Representatives, 1870–1879. Born in Georgetown County in 1832, Rainey, it is said, made blockade-running trips during the Civil War. He was a delegate to the Constitutional Convention of 1868, served two years in the SC Senate, and two years as internal revenue agent of SC. He died in Georgetown, SC, in 1887. — Map (db m7528) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Joseph Hayne Rainey Park
This park was dedicated in 1993 to the memory of Georgetown native Joseph Hayne Rainey, the first African American to serve in the U.S. House of Representatives. Born to slave parents in 1832, Rainey escaped to Bermuda when the War Between the States broke out. After the war, he returned to South Carolina and entered politics. He was a Republican delegate to the state's 1868 constitutional convention and later was elected to the state senate. In 1870, Rainey was nominated to fill the . . . — Map (db m31640) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-49 — Kaminski House
This house, probably built between 1750 an 1800, was for many years the home of Harold Kaminski (1886–1951), Georgetown County commissioner, mayor 1930–35, and U.S. Navy officer, and his wife Julia Bossard Pyatt (d. 1972). The house was originally owned by members of the Trapier and Keith families, including John Keith (d. circa 1923), first intendant, or mayor, of Georgetown in 1806. It then passed through a succession of owners from 1853 to 1931. The Kaminski House, . . . — Map (db m6782) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Kaminski House Museum
Dating back to the 1700s, the Kaminski House contains one of the finest collections in English and American antiques and furnishings in South Carolina. The original structure with beaded clapboard siding was built around 1769 by Paul Trapier, a prosperous merchant and trader who earned the reputation as the “King of Georgetown.” Through marriage, it passed to John Keith, the first major of Georgetown, and it remained in the Keith family until the late 1800s. Over the years, the . . . — Map (db m6855) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Kaminski House Museuma City's Legacy
Overlooking the Sampit River, the Kaminski House Museum is pre- Revolutionary War and one of over 60 antebellum landmarks in the Georgetown Historic District. The house was built by Paul Trapier, a prominent local merchant, concidered to be one of the wealthiest citizens of the colony. The house is typical of the "single house" construction of the period, and was constructed to catch the breezes off the river. The narrow end of the home faced the street with the entry way located . . . — Map (db m66371) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-8 (A-4) — Lafayette
A lover of liberty, Lafayette left Bordeaux, France, March 26, 1777, “to conquer or perish” in the American cause, and arrived at Benjamin Huger’s summer home near here, June 14, 1777, where he spent his first night in America. He rendered eminent service in our struggle for independence. — Map (db m4872) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Landing of Lafayette1777      1952
This Tablet Commemorates the 175th Anniversary Of The Landing Of The Marquis de Lafayette at North Island on Winyah Bay June 13, 1777 and the First Day Issue of the Lafayette Memorial Stamp in Georgetown, South Carolina June 13, 1952 — Map (db m65915) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Lest We ForgetBattery White Memorial
Lest We Forget In memory of the Confederate soldiers who served at Battery White during the War Between the States 1861 - 1865 Erected by Arthur Manigault Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy May 25, 1929. — Map (db m31645) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Major C. Spencer Guerry
After graduating from the University of South Carolina, C. Spencer Guerry began his law enforcement career on March 1, 1979, by joining the Georgetown Police Department. He rose through various positions of increasing responsibility until attaining the rank of Major (Deputy Chief of Police). In February of 1990, Major Guerry gave his life in service to the citizens of Georgetown when, on March 7, 1994, while investigating a suspicious vehicle, he was shot and subsequently died from wounds that . . . — Map (db m7764) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Marquis de Lafayette
This tablet commemorates the 150th anniversary of the first landing of Marquis de Lafayette accompanied by Baron de Kalb on North Island, Georgetown County, S. C. June 13, 1777. He came to draw his sword for the young republic in the hour of her greatest need. — Map (db m7717) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-15 — Methodists
William Wayne, nephew of Revolutionary General Anthony Wayne, was converted here by Bishop Francis Asbury on February 24, 1785, and a Methodist congregation was formed later that year. Woolman Hickson was appointed minister. This is the site of an early cemetery, parsonage, and church (c. 1833), in use until 1903 when the present nearby structure, Duncan Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church was dedicated. — Map (db m7854) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-55 — Mount Olive Baptist Church
This church was founded in 1866 by Rev. James Smalls, its pastor for many years. The congregation, which built its sanctuary here on land owned by the Gospel Harp Society, grew to more than one hundred members by 1903. In 1914 trustees S.B. Belin, Neptune Boyd, Seward Dunmore, Joseph Gibson, I.J. McCottrie, W.M. Salters and Samuel White, Jr., purchased this property from the trustees of the Gospel Harp Society. The first church here, a frame building, was replaced by this brick sanctuary . . . — Map (db m7873) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Prince George Winyah Church
Parish founded 1721. Present church erected about 1750. Aided by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts, London. Occupied by British forces during the Revolution. — Map (db m7421) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-9 — Prince George’s Parish Church, Winyah
Prince George’s Parish, Winyah, was created March 10, 1721, and the parish church erected on Black River, 1726, at the present Brown’s Ferry. After Prince Frederick’s Parish was formed from Prince George’s, April 9, 1734, the parish church was erected here, 1787–1750. The tower and chancel were added in 1824. — Map (db m7417) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-4 — Prospect Hill
On his tour south to inspect the defenses of the Atlantic coast, President Monroe reached Prospect Hill, Col. Benjamin Huger’s residence, April 21, 1819. During his stay, April 21-24, he was lavishly entertained by his host and by the citizens and the town council of Georgetown. — Map (db m4870) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-45 — Robert Stewart House
The Robert Steward House was built between 1740 and 1770 by Robert Stewart (d.1776), planter and militia captain; it was acquired in 1787 by Daniel Tucker (d. 1797), prominent Georgetown merchant. When President George Washington arrived in Georgetown during his southern tour on April 30, 1791, a militia company and local reception committee met him at the nearby boat landing and escorted him here, where he spent the night as Tucker’s guest. Washington was entertained lavishly and then . . . — Map (db m4856) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Screven Cemetery
Here are buried William Screven (1624–1713) and other members of his family. A native of England, he migrated to Kittery, Me., and was persecuted by New England authorities for non-conformity. He and other members of the Kittery Church came to S.C. by 1696. They settled in Charleston and became the First Baptist Church in the South. He was the first Baptist preacher in the South. His son, Elisha, was a founder of Georgetown. — Map (db m7612) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-12 — Sergeant McDonald
Here Sgt. McDonald bayoneted the fleeing Maj. Gainey, following the defeat of the Tories under Major Gainey by the Americans under Col. Peter Horry. This bloody skirmish took place, January, 1781, between the Sampit and the Black River roads. — Map (db m7474) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-58 — Sinking Of The USS Harvest Moon
(Front) In early 1865 the USS Harvest Moon, a 193-foot, 5-gun side-wheel steamer, was the flagship of Adm. John A. Dahlgren of the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron, U.S. Navy. It arrived off Georgetown and anchored nearby on February 26th. Confederate Capt. Thomas W. Daggett, in charge of coastal defenses from Little River to Georgetown, made plans to sink the Harvest Moon with a “torpedo,” or mine. (Reverse) Daggett, working on the 2nd floor . . . — Map (db m48346) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — South Carolina Champion Oak
The live oak between houses 513 and 515 Prince Street is registered with The American Forestry Associates as a State Champion – South Carolina. In 1940 the tree was estimated to be over 500 years old, and it measured 23 feet in circumference, 120 feet tall, with a crown spread of 125 feet. — Map (db m7662) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — South Carolina’s Third Oldest City
Founded in 1729, Georgetown is the third oldest city in South Carolina and was named for George, Prince of Wales, who later became King George II. Settled by migrating families from Charleston, the colonial residents made their livelihood as traders, merchants and planters. Taking advantage of British bounties for indigo, highly prized as a clothing dye in Europe, an elite class of indigo plantation owners and merchants evolved and formed the Winyah Indigo Society, which in 1755 established one . . . — Map (db m9971) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-50 — The Oaks Plantation
The Oaks Plantation was established on the Santee River in 1705 by a grant from the Lords Proprietors to John Sauseau, a French Huguenot settler. It passed through several owners in the prominent Buchanan and Withers families before 1793, when brothers Isaac and William Mazyck acquired a tract of more than 1,000 acres and began producing rice here on the rich Santee River delta. — Map (db m16383) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — The Rice Museum
The rice culture in Georgetown County is one of the most colorful chapters in American History. Through maps, dioramas, artifacts, "The Garden of Gold" video produced by the museum, and other exhibits, the Rice Museum tells the story of the rice plantation era and a society based on one agricultural crop. The Kaminski Building next door houses the Maritime History Museum, home of the "Browns Ferry Vessel." Listed on the National Register, this is the oldest vessel of colonial manufacture in . . . — Map (db m68021) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — These Two Cannons
These two cannons were formerly mounted in front of the U.S. Naval Reserve Building on Front Street. Originally they were part of the Confederate defense system at Battery White near Georgetown. — Map (db m4860) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-47 — Town Clock / Kaminski Building
Town Clock This Greek Revival market and town hall was built in 1842 after a fire destroyed many of the frame buildings on Front Street. An open-air market occupied the first floor and the town hall occupied the second floor; the clock tower and belfry were added in 1845. On February 24, 1865 the town council, meeting here, surrendered Georgetown to officers of the U.S. Navy. The Rice Museum opened in this building during the S.C. Tricentennial in 1970. Kaminski Building This . . . — Map (db m7683) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-43 — William Doyle Morgan House
732 Prince Street was the home of William Doyle Morgan (1853–1938), mayor 1891–1906 and the catalyst for much of Georgetown’s growth and prosperity by the turn of the century. He helped give the city what one observer called “the snap and vim of twentieth century progress,” such as a modern water and sewer system, electric lights, macadamized streets, sidewalks, a deepened harbor, and jetties in Winyah Bay. When Morgan retired in 1906, citizens presented him a . . . — Map (db m7603) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-16 — Winyah Indigo Society
Springing from the fervor for indigo, the colony’s vital new crop for making blue dye, the Winyah Indigo Society was begun in 1755 and incorporated 1757 to ensure stronger financial support for the free school which it had founded. Thomas Lynch was then president of the society, which also maintained a library and served as an intellectual center. The 1857 building here was used by Union forces during the Civil War. — Map (db m7664) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-20 — Winyah Schools
Winyah Indigo School District was created in 1885 to maintain public education in Georgetown. In 1887, the district assumed the existing school owned by the Winyah Indigo Society, established in 1755. Completed in 1908 was a building housing grades 1-10, which still stands. Winyah High, built here in 1938, was integrated 1970. It burned in 1981. The new high school of 1985 became Georgetown High when Winyah and Howard consolidated. — Map (db m7860) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Hemingway — Pleasant Hill Baptist Church
In 1875 Bible study in home of John Owens was the beginning of the church with 15 charter members. Richard Cribb was the first pastor in 1877 when the church joined the Waccamaw Association. The first building was approximately 20 x 35 feet constructed of fitted logs and was located one mile south on land of Riley Baxley. In 1890 the log building was dismantled and reassembled here on this one acre site given by A. A. Williams. In 1912 a sanctuary approximately 23 x 50 feet replaced the log . . . — Map (db m16410) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Hemingway — 22-51 — Pleasant Hill School
Pleasant Hill Consolidated School opened in 1938 as an elementary and high school. It also included a cannery and a home economics/farm-shop building. Pleasant Hill housed a middle and high school 1970–1985 and closed in 2000 as Pleasant Hill Middle School. An excellent example of New Deal-era school architecture, it was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. — Map (db m16413) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Murrells Inlet — 22-27 — Hot and Hot Fish Club
Established by and comprised of the planters of All Saints Parish, this social club was dedicated to epicurean pursuits. Although formed before 1816, the organization was probably dissolved during the civil War. Nearby Drunken Jack Island was the first recorded of five different sites for the clubhouse. — Map (db m4868) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Pawleys Island — 22 35 — All Saints Academy Summer House
This summer house was built between 1838 and 1848 by All Saints Academy for the summer residence of its headmaster. Robert F. W. Allston, Governor of SC 1856-58, actively participated in leadership of the academy. After some years, the academy's dwelling passed to private, individual ownership. It was extensively damaged by Hurricane Hugo in 1989 but has been meticulously restored. — Map (db m54) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Pawleys Island — 22-54 — All Saints Parish (1767) / All Saints, Waccamaw
Anglican services were held on Waccamaw Neck by 1737, with a chapel built on land purchased from Percival Pawley. All Saints Parish, Waccamaw, created out of Prince George Winyah Parish in 1767, was the third Anglican parish created in present-day Georgetown County. Though the parish declined somewhat after the American Revolution it was revived soon afterwards. The parish church of All Saints Parish, Waccamaw, has stood on this site since 1737. A brick Greek Revival sanctuary built in . . . — Map (db m17021) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Pawleys Island — 22 32 — All Saints Summer Parsonage / The Rectory
This house, built by 1848, served as the summer parsonage for All Saints Episcopal Church or many years. Evening summer services were held here by the congregation, which included a number of rice plantation owners who spent summers at Pawleys Island. The parsonage/rectory was sold by the congregation in 1960 to its present owner. — Map (db m53) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Pawleys Island — Joseph & Theodosia Burr AlstonAnd Their Son Aaron Burr Alston
Sacred to the Memory of Joseph & Theodosia Burr Alston and their Son Aaron Burr Alston. This last died in June 1812 at the age of 10 years and his remains are interred here. The disconsolate Mother perished a few months after at sea. And on the 10th of Sept. 1816 died the Father, when little over 37 years of age, whose remains rest here with his Son’s. The lot of this Citizen was no common one to the state. To its service he devoted himself from early years. On the floors of its . . . — Map (db m40376) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Pawleys Island — 22-14 — Joseph Alston
Joseph Alston (1779–1816) was educated at the College of Charleston and at Princeton. He inherited The Oaks Plantation and in 1801, married Theodosia, daughter of Aaron Burr. Alston was a member of the S.C. House (1802–12), its speaker for five years, governor (1812–14), and Senator (1814–16). He is buried at The Oaks Cemetery about 2 miles west. — Map (db m16512) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Pawleys Island — 22 29 — Joseph Blyth Allston House (Pawley House)
This house stands on land owned by R. F. W. Allston, governor of SC 1856-58. His nephew Joseph Blyth Allston obtained the land in 1866 and it is thought he then moved this circa 1800 house onto his property. After Hurricane Hugo struck SC in 1989, the house was extensively altered and placed on a higher foundation. Mortise and tennon joints with pegs can still be seen under the house. — Map (db m56) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Pawleys Island — 22-36 — LaBruce/Lemon House
This house, built on 10 acres of beach land by 1858, was owned by the LaBruce family, who were successful rice planters in this area of All Saints Parish. According to local tradition, two small dwellings on the property were slave cabins. The residence was purchased by Calhoun Lemon of Barnwell, South Carolina, in 1952 and still remains in this family. Additions have been made to the house throughout the years. — Map (db m17018) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Pawleys Island — 22 34 — Nesbit / Norburn House
By 1842 this house was here on Pawleys Island and was owned by Robert Nesbit (1799-1848). A native of Scotland and a rice planter in this area, Nesbit also owned nearby "Caledonia" plantation. The house on Pawleys remained in the Nesbit family until after the death of Ralph Nesbit in 1938. It was then sold to Dr. Charles Norburn of Asheville, North Carolina. — Map (db m55) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Pawleys Island — 22-31 — P. C. J. Weston House / Pelican Inn
Plowden Weston, Lt. Gov of SC 1862–64, obtained land here in 1844 and by 1858 had built this beach residence. The Weston family sold the property to William St. Julien Mazyck in 1864, who sold the house to Atlantic Coast Lumber Company in 1901. The company permitted its employees to vacation here. After an ownership change some years later, the house was named The Pelican Inn. — Map (db m37510) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Pawleys Island — 22-26 — Pawley’s Island / Waccamaw Neck
Pawley’s Island This island, located about ½ mile east, was used by plantation householders who lived on the seashore from May to November to escape malaria, or “summer fever.” A number of houses built about 1850, and the summer academy and rectory of All Saints’ Parish remain. The hurricane of 1822 destroyed most earlier homes. Waccamaw Neck Narrow Strip of land from Atlantic Ocean to Waccamaw River. Rice plantations flourished by 1740. Remaining are c. 1790 . . . — Map (db m39647) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Pawleys Island — 22 30 — R. F. W. Allston House
This summer residence was owned by Robert F. W. Allston (1801–1864) when the state of SC granted the marsh behind it to him in 1846. Allston was a large property owner, a successful rice planter, and served as governor of SC 1856–58. The house remained in the family until 1901. After Hurricane Hugo struck SC in 1989, the house was placed on higher wooden posts. — Map (db m51) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Pawleys Island — 22-38 — R.F.W. Allston Causeway
This causeway was built between January 1845 and November 1846 by Robert Francis Withers Allston, who owned a summer residence on Pawleys Island. Known as Governor Allston's bank, it connected the island to the mainland. Allston was a large property and slave owner in the area, and was governor of South Carolina 1856-58. The causeway and contiguous property remained in the Allston family until 1901. — Map (db m27320) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Pawleys Island — 22-24 — Theodosia Burr Alston
Daughter of Aaron Burr and one of the most learned women of her era; wife of Governor Joseph Alston, who is buried west of here, with Aaron Burr Alston, their ten-year-old son; sailed from Georgetown on Dec. 30, 1812 on the schooner Patriot to join her father in New York and disappeared off the N.C. coast during a terrific storm. — Map (db m16462) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Pawleys Island — 22 33 — Ward House — Liberty Lodge
This house, one of the oldest on Pawleys, was reputedly moved here after 1858. It stands on land once owned by area rice planter Joshua J. Ward (1800–1853), who was Lt. Gov. of SC 1850-52. The house has hand-hewn sills and joists and mortise-and-tenon joints. It remained in the Ward family until 1912, when sold to Cornelia C. Ehrich, who named it Liberty Lodge. Ownership is still in this family. — Map (db m50) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Pawleys Island — 22-11 — Washington Allston
Washington Allston, “the American Titian,” artist and author, was born at Brookgreen, Nov. 5, 1779. He studied in London, Paris, and Venice. He had a studio in London 1811–1818; in Boston 1818–1830; in Cambridge, 1830–1843, where he died, July 9, 1843. Allston was, said Coleridge, a painter born to renew the 16th century. — Map (db m16463) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Pawleys Island — 22-13 — Washington’s Visit
On his southern tour in 1791 President George Washington spent the night of April 28 here at Brookgreen Plantation. He was the guest of its owner, Dr. Henry Collins Flagg, a surgeon in the Revolution, and his wife, the former Rachel Moore Allston. Washington left Brookgreen at 6 a.m. April 29 to breakfast at Clifton Plantation near Georgetown. — Map (db m16797) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Plantersville — 22-53 — Chicora Wood
(Marker Front) This plantation, with its origins in several grants to John Allson in 1732, 1734, and later, was in the hands of his grandson Benjamin, Jr., of Brookgreen, by 1806. The property passed first to Benjamin's widow Charlotte and then after her death in 1824 to her son Robert F.W. Allston (1801-1864), rice planter, state representative and senator 1828-56, and governor 1856-58. (Marker Reverse) This house was completed in 1838 by Robert F.W. Allston and his . . . — Map (db m27546) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Plantersville — 22-52 — Prince Frederick's Chapel
(Front) The first church on this site, known as Prince Frederick's Chapel, Pee Dee, was built in 1848 on a site donated by the Rev. Hugh Fraser in 1834. Most of its parishioners were rice planters along the Pee Dee River. These ruins are of the second church here, approved by a committee of R.F.W. Allston, Davison McDowell and Francis Weston and begun in 1859 but interrupted by the Civil War. (Reverse) This Gothic Revival church designed by Louis J. Barbot was completed in . . . — Map (db m27717) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Rhems — Black Mingo Creek:Fighting Among Neighbors
In September 1780, Francis Marion returned to South Carolina after a short tactical retreat into the swamps of eastern North Carolina. Hearing that British and Loyalist forces were burning the homes of Whig militiamen in Williamsburg District, Col. Marion aimed to challenge their control of the area. Marion marched his men across the Great Pee Dee and Lynches Rivers to strike at a Tory detachment at Sheppard’s Ferry on Black Mingo Creek. Stationed at Patrick Dollard’s tavern less than a mile . . . — Map (db m53702) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Sampit — 22-56 — Sampit Methodist Church
This church, formally organized in 1839, had its origins in a slave mission begun in 1786 on Gov. Thomas Boone’s plantation, 3 miles SE. Rev. P. A. M. Williams became its first minister in 1840. The first Church, a frame building built the same year, stood 1.5 miles S. The present sanctuary was built on a 5-acre plot donated to the church in 1887 by Benjamin D. Bourne, a member and trustee. The present sanctuary, built by the time the congregation acquired this site in 1887, was . . . — Map (db m17017) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Sampit — 22-7 — Skirmish at Sampit Bridge
In the early evening about March 20, 1781, the last skirmish between General Marion and Colonel Watson was fought at Sampit Bridge, one-half mile west of this spot. Col. Watson’s loss was twenty men killed and a large number wounded; General Marion’s reputed loss was one man killed. — Map (db m17014) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Yauhannah — 22-19 — Mount Tabor Church
Organized as a result of the preaching of Elder James Singleton, the Mount Tabor congregation was constituted October 21, 1832 and admitted into Welsh Neck Baptist Association the same year. Samuel Hennecy and Uriah Woodard represented Mount Tabor at the association’s meeting and reported the church’s membership at eighty-four people. — Map (db m16808) HM
87 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 734 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.