HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Goshen County Markers
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — “Officers Row”
This 1889 winter scene shows buildings along the west side of the Parade Ground which housed Fort Laramie’s officer complement – hence, “Officers Row”. RIGHT TO LEFT, the “Burt” House, the “Surgeon’s” quarters, two adobe quarters and “Old Bedlam”. The surgeon’s eminent position in the social life of Fort Laramie is reflected in this 1888 view (left). — Map (db m87031) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — ‘Where’s the Wall?’Fort Laramie National Historic Site
It is one of the most commonly asked questions here – and with good reason. Those who grew up watching western movies expect to see a fort with a large wooden stockade. Like many other aspects of Hollywood westerns, the walled military fort makes for better entertainment than good history. One reason Fort Laramie lacked a wall was that timber was not abundant. The other reason had to do with the combat style of the Plains Indian Warrior, who relied on mobility and preferred fighting on . . . — Map (db m87076) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — A Father’s Grief . . . A Soldier’s HonorFort Laramie National Historic Site
Some days since I received a messenger from [Sinte Gleska], head chief of the Brule Sioux, saying that his daughter had died on the way here and had begged her Father to have her grave made with the whites . . . Wishing to do him honor . . . I rode out with several officers, and met him half way between the fort and he Platte . . I conducted him to the Fort and my headquarters. So begins Colonel Henry Maynadier’s account of one of the most extraordinary and poignant events . . . — Map (db m87041) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Administration Building
The large structure built on this site in 1885 – pictured shortly after completion – was put to many uses. The section on the far right was used as a schoolroom for officers’ children. The central portion housed the Headquarters offices. The left part contained a large auditorium. Often used for theater productions. BELOW: Guard Mount in front of Administration Building around 1889. — Map (db m87005) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Between Two Worlds . . . the American MétisFort Laramie National Historic Site
French, Spanish and Indian and mixed are very common here and all languages are being jabbered in promiscuous interchange.”Charles B. Darwin, Fort Laramie, June 28, 1849 Métis (ma-tes’) – of mixed race, particularly, mixed Native American and French ancestry. All but forgotten, the mixed-blood peoples of the plains trace their origins to the heyday of the fur trade. Fur traders, predominately of French and French-Canadian ancestry, entered into “trade . . . — Map (db m87012) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — C.O.’s Chicken Coop(Built in 1881)
High ranking officers commonly kept chickens for their own use. The consumption of chickens and eggs provided a welcome change from meals of wild game and tough army beef. Individual soldiers and cooks utilizing company funds could purchase chickens and eggs from civilians. However, such items were a luxury which seldom appeared on the enlisted man’s table. — Map (db m87024) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Captain’s Quarters
      Originally intended as housing for the commanding officer, this building was divided into a duplex when the C.O. chose to remain in another new dwelling. As such, the quarters was completed in 1870 at which time high-ranking officers and their families took up residency.       Lumber for the quarters was hauled from Laramie Peak and Denver. Adobe brick was made on site on sunny days. Often during twenty years of military use, the structure required whitewashing and substantial . . . — Map (db m87009) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Cavalry BarracksFort Laramie National Historic Site
The building before you is the only surviving enlisted men's barracks at Fort Laramie. The building proper was completed in late 1874 and was designed to provide quarters and other needed support facilities for two companies of soldiers, The veranda, although originally planned, was not added until 1883. As constructed the entire second floor was made up of only two equal, large rooms. These were the company dormitory bays or squad rooms where the enlisted soldiers lived. Each could house about . . . — Map (db m71018) HM WM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Commissary StorehouseFort Laramie National Historic Site — Visitor Center
This building was completed in 1884. It was built as a commissary storage facility. As such it would have been primarily divided into two large storerooms: one for meat and one for flour, rice, and beans. Three or four smaller rooms would have been used as offices, an "issue room" and a storage room for canned goods. This building also had a partial cellar with a trap door for use with a hand-operated elevator, rations and other official army food items were issued from this building. A commissary officer and sergeant ran the operation. — Map (db m71017) WM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Crossroads of a Nation Moving WestFort Laramie National Historic Site
Crossed the Laramie ford this morning and passed through the fort registering our names and found that . . . 16,913 men, Women 235, Children 242, Wagons 4,672, Horses 14,974, Mules, 4,641, Oxen 7,427, Cows 465, passed, besides nearly as many more had probably gone without registering.Alfred Davis, June 12, 1850 Between 1841 and 1866 at least 350,000 people crossed the Missouri westbound for new homes in Oregon, California, and Utah. Fort Laramie provided a welcome respite from the . . . — Map (db m86975) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Embassy on the Northern PlainsFort Laramie National Historic Site
As the main outpost of the U.S. Government on the Northern Plains, Fort Laramie served as an official meeting ground between the United States of America and the sovereign tribes of the Northern Plains. The first great treaty negotiation, the Treaty of 1851, proved to be too big for Fort Laramie and quickly moved to Horse Creek in western Nebraska. With over 10,000 participants, it was the largest gathering of Plains Indians in the 19th century. For the next 17 years Fort Laramie served as an . . . — Map (db m86984) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Fort John – The ‘Second Fort Laramie’Fort Laramie National Historic Site
. . . the articles of trade consist, on the one side, almost entirely of buffalo robes; and, on the other, of blankets, calicoes, guns, powder, and lead, [and] . . . cheap ornaments such as glass beads, looking-glasses, rings, vermillion for painting, tobacco, and . . . spirits, brought into the country in the form of alcohol, and diluted with water before sold . . .John C. Frémont, July 1842 Pierre Chouteau and Company, then owners of Fort William, constructed a new fort on this . . . — Map (db m86968) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Fort Laramie National Historic SiteCrossroads of a Nation Moving West
Fort Laramie was perhaps the single most important location in America’s expansion into the west. Founded in 1834 as a trading post, it became a military fort in 1849. Until it closed in 1890, Fort Laramie influenced major events in the history of the Trans-Mississippi West. From the eras of the fur trade, the Oregon Trail and the Indian Wars, the fort served as an American foothold in a rapidly changing west. We recommend that you begin at the Visitor Center. Follow the paved path to your . . . — Map (db m71016) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Fort Laramie National Historic Site
The epic story of America’s western expansion played out on a grand scale at Fort Laramie, where the North Platte and Laramie Rivers meet. Fort Laramie was first established in 1834 as a private fur trading post. By the 1840’s, it served as an important way station for thousands of emigrants traveling the Oregon, California and Mormon Pioneer trails. After purchase by the government in 1849, it rapidly became the primary military post on the Northern Plains. Stage lines, the Pony Express, . . . — Map (db m79778) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Fort Platte
A trading post built by Lancaster P. Lupton in 1841. Stood fifty yards to the north. — Map (db m79745) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Fort William and the Fur TradeFort Laramie National Historic Site
In 1834, Robert Campbell and William Sublette established the first fort at the confluence of the North Platte and Laramie Rivers. Christened Fort William, the post was rectangular, measuring only 100 by 80 feet. Hewn cottonwood logs 15 feet high formed the palisade. At diagonal corners were log blockhouses. A third blockhouse with a cannon mounted in it was located over the front gate. Against the inside of the stockade were a series of cabins, workshops, and storehouses whose flat roofs . . . — Map (db m86958) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — General Sink (Latrine)
In the 1880’s the Surgeon General determined that the privy vault - - “That most objectionable and dangerous nuisance” - - was a threat to the soldier’s health. His concern had been prompted by the accumulated reports from disgusted post surgeons including several from Fort Laramie. Post surgeon Hartsuff, for instance, had recommended in 1874 that sinks be made bearable at least, so that “The call of nature shall not go unheeded nor be hurriedly performed.” This . . . — Map (db m86996) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Guardhouse1850 – 1868
The remains of the first guardhouse constructed in 1850, at Fort Laramie were discovered by workmen in 1960 during restoration of the “new” guardhouse. This site is a good example of the structural changes that occurred during the forts forty-one year military history. Old buildings were torn down and new ones erected, sometimes directly over old remains. The tiny cells below were only five feet in height and length and were usually reserved for “mill birds” or repeat . . . — Map (db m87001) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Handcarts – The New PlanFort Laramie National Historic Site
We cannot afford to purchase wagons and teams as in times past. I am consequently thrown back upon my old plan – to make hand-carts, and let the emigration foot it . . .       Brigham Young, 1855 Between 1856 and 1860, nearly 3,000 members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or Mormons, pulled their earthly possessions in two-wheeled handcarts from Iowa to Utah. Most “Handcart Pioneers” were poor immigrant converts from northern . . . — Map (db m86981) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Infantry Barracks
      In answer to the perpetual need for housing, construction of an enlisted men’s barracks commenced at the opposite end of these foundation ruins. The barracks were extended in this direction as more men were assigned. Kitchens, mess halls, laundress’ quarters and latrines were built behind (to your left).       Home to about 150 men, the two-story barracks were sparsely furnished. Bunks, made of wood by the quartermaster, were two tiers high with each tier accommodating two men. The . . . — Map (db m87030) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — John (Portugee) Phillips
Here on December 25, 1866 John (Portugee) Phillips finished his 236 mile ride to obtain troops for the relief of Fort Phil Kearny after the Fetterman Massacre. — Map (db m79773) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Magazine(Built in 1849)
Restored here to the 1850-1862 period, the magazine is among the oldest surviving structures at Fort Laramie. It was during this early period that George Balch, 1st Lieutenant, Ordinance Corp, sent the following report to the Assistant Adjutant General: “I find all the ordnance property with the exception of the field guns and their carriages stored in the magazine arranged with much order and preserved with great care. The different kinds of ammunition piled together in such . . . — Map (db m87032) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Military Justice: Punishment Harsh and CertainFort Laramie National Historic Site
As long as you behaved yourself and performed your duty as a soldier, you got along alright.Sergeant Perley S. Eaton, 3rd Cavalry Few soldiers completed their enlistments without experiencing the military justice system. Minor infractions resulted in “company punishment,” non-regulation punishments that usually consisted of extra duty assignments, restrictions to quarters, and unpleasant fatigue details. Court martial routinely imposed fines, confinement, and hard labor . . . — Map (db m87003) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — 49 — Mormon Pioneers at Fort Laramie
Between the years 1847 and 1868, most of the approximate 80,000 Mormon Pioneers passed through Fort Laramie. This was the first stop for the vanguard company after leaving Winter Quarters, (near Omaha) Nebraska. In June, 1847, after following a faint trapper trail on the north side of the Platte River, the Pioneers reached Fort Laramie. Brigham Young, with a number of his party, crossed the river and walked up to the fort. At this time the fort was called Fort John. It was owned by the . . . — Map (db m79776) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Noncommissioned Officers’ QuartersFort Laramie National Historic Site
Before you stand the remains of a six-unit apartment building constructed in 1884. Built for the fort’s senior noncommissioned officers and their families, this new structure provided the best housing available for married enlisted men on post. The staff entitled to live here were the post ordnance, quartermaster, and commissary sergeants; chief musician; and regimental sergeant major. Often in their fortes and fifties with many years of service in the military, these senior NCOs were usually . . . — Map (db m87054) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Officers Quarters
This 1885 photograph shows the buildings constructed on this site in 1881. Previous adobe structures, built in 1855, were left standing as rear wings. On the far left was the Commanding Officer’s residence. Between 1881 and 1890 it was successively occupied by the families of Colonels Meritt, Gibbon and Merriam and the only one equipped with inside plumbing, with a full bathroom upstairs and water piped into the kitchen. The other two buildings were customarily occupied by Lieutenants or . . . — Map (db m87026) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Old Army Bridge Over the Platte River
Erected in 1875. This bridge was a vital link between Cheyenne, Fort Laramie and the Military outposts, Indiana Agencies and gold fields of the Black Hills, Dakota Region. Placed by The Historical Landmark Commission of Wyoming, June 1951 — Map (db m5747) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Old Bedlam
This graceful old structure, built in 1849, is the oldest standing building in Wyoming. It was nicknamed “Old Bedlam” because of boisterous sounds supposedly heard while it was occupied by bachelor officiers. Shown in an 1889 photograph, “Old Bedlam” is generally regarded as the Bachelor Officiers Quarters. However, the left half was used as Post Headquarters and Commanders Apartment in the 1860’s and, at various times, the building was occupied by married officiers. — Map (db m79774) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Parade Ground
The parade ground was the center around which a variety of utilitarian buildings were constructed between 1849 and 1885. Though intended as a center of activities for the post with its parades and drills, Fort Laramie’s parade ground was not in constant use. Soldiers were kept busy with a broad array of duties related to the upkeep of the post and security of the region. The parade ground saw two types of formations. Guard mount or changing of the guard, occurred daily at 9:00 a.m. A full . . . — Map (db m87002) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Post Quartermaster’s AreaFort Laramie National Historic Site
The job of building, maintaining, and supplying military posts belonged to the Quartermaster’s Department. The QMD was responsible for quarters, barracks, construction, infrastructure, transportation of personnel and supplies, and the procurement of most equipment and commodities. The empty field in front of you once bustled with activity at the workshops of the blacksmith, wheelwright, farrier, carpenter, painter, and saddler. The quartermaster’s area extended from where you are standing for . . . — Map (db m87105) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Reading, ‘Riting, and ‘RithmeticFort Laramie National Historic Site
I knew little about reading, spelling and arithmetic, while I was well versed in lightning, thunder, vapor and geography.      Guy V. Henry Jr. on growing up at frontier military posts Wyoming’s first public school opened at Fort Laramie in 1852. Schools often suffered from inadequate facilities along with shortages of textbooks, supplies, and qualified teachers. Not until 1881 did regulations make commanders responsible for providing an effective school system. Fort Laramie . . . — Map (db m87006) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Refinement at Fort Laramie
Fort Laramie began as a dusty, drab frontier outpost as pictured above in the 1868 photograph. However, by the 1880’s, the Army had embarked upon a major cleanup and improvement campaign. The delightful results are evident in the 1887 view – trees and grass, gaslights, boardwalks, picket fences and vine-covered verandas, modern, comfortable quarters . . . even birdbaths! — Map (db m87020) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Sawmill
Through a succession of accidental fires, Fort Laramie’s sawmills gained a reputation of being oll-fated. The lime-grout building erected upon this site in 1887 was the last of several such structures that sheltered stream engines used for sawing wood and pumping water. — Map (db m87044) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Site of Army Bridge
The Laramie River was unpredictable and unchecked by dams. High water during the spring of the year often damaged or washed away existing bridges; therefore, from 1853 to post abandonment in 1890 the river was spanned by several successive bridges on or near this site. The first was constructed by a private firm which charged tolls to both soldiers and emigrants. In subsequent years they were free to all users. The bridges were well-traveled since a variety of living quarters and a hotel had . . . — Map (db m86986) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Spanning a Century: End of an Era
Once broad and turbulent, the North Platte River posed a formidable obstacle to 19th century travelers. High water made it nearly impossible to cross the river for several months each year. The crossing became less dangerous by 1850 when ferry service was established to meet the growing volume of military and emigrant traffic. Frequent ferry accidents and slow crossing speeds continued to impede travelers until a permanent bridge was built. Following the Fort Laramie Treaty of 1868, which . . . — Map (db m79743) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — The “Government Workhouse”Fort Laramie National Historic Site
I am beginning to think the soldiers . . . know better how to handle pick and shovel than they do a gun . . .”Private George W. McAnulty, Fort Laramie, W.T., 1878 “ . . . nothing worries a soldier more than doing the dirty [work] about the post.”Private Paul Lindsley Mulford, 7th U.S. Cavalry The daily routine of the frontier army enlisted man was a highly regimented, never-ending cycle of drills, guard duty, roll calls, inspections, and fatigue . . . — Map (db m87018) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — The “New” Guardhouse and Adjacent Barracks
The “new” guardhouse, built in 1876 and shown in this 1887 view, was the last and most comfortable of three such structures at Fort Laramie. It was constructed upon the ruins of the original guardhouse, built in 1849-1850. The “new” guardhouse contained spacious guard quarters and prison rooms, and relatively few prisoners. In 1885, for example, inmates averaged less than three out of every hundred soldiers on the post. Also appearing in the photograph is the . . . — Map (db m86998) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — The Cavalry StablesFort Laramie National Historic Site
Most of the four generations of cavalry stables constructed at Fort Laramie were located here, just below the rise you are standing on. Measuring as large as 310 by 28 feet, the stables were made of log or board and batten construction. Typically configured with a double row of stalls, each stable housed 80 to 100 animals. Altogether, as many as 350 cavalry horses were kept here. Mountains of manure produced by the cavalry horses were a continual problem for the garrison. A report dated . . . — Map (db m87051) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — The Cheyenne-Black Hills Trail
passed near this point between 1876 and 1887. Built to supply the Dakota gold camps, the road was constructed in violation of the Ft. Laramie treaty of 1868 which reserved the Black Hills for Sioux Indians. Stagecoaches and wagons carrying passengers, freight and gold bullion rumbled through nearby Ft. Laramie, an important stopping point along the lime, until the arrival of the Chicago and North Western Railroad rendered the route obsolete. — Map (db m79780) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — The Greatest Ride in History
In memory of the Thoroughbred horse ridden by John “Portugee” Phillips from Fort Phil Kearny Wyoming to Fort Laramie Wyoming December 24, and 25, 1866, when he's sought aid for the garrison at Fort Phil Kearny, which was surrounded by Indians, after the battle with Lieutenant Colonel William F. Fetterman resulting in the death of Lieutenant Colonel Fetterman and 80 men. The horse died from exhaustion soon after arriving at Fort Laramie, having gone 236 miles in two days, . . . — Map (db m79746) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — The Pony Express1860-1861 — 1960-1961
From April, 1860, to October, 1861, Fort Laramie was a major post on the Pony Express route between St. Joseph, Missouri and Sacramento, California. — Map (db m49117) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — The Pony Express1860-1861 — 1960-1961
120 celebrated riders rode 650,000 miles with only one rider killed by Indians, one schedule not completed and one mail lost.

Russell • Majors • Waddell Founders • Owners • Operators — Map (db m49118) HM

Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — The Post Bakeries
Four different bakeries operated successively at Fort Laramie. The remains of two bakeries stand before you. The nearer, built in 1876, was used until 1884, when it was converted into a school. A bakery built upon the far site operated from 1884 until 1890. Army bakers produced one eighteen-ounce loaf daily for each man at the fort. With a garrison numbering as many as 700 men, imagine the production that resulted! — Map (db m87100) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — The Post HospitalFort Laramie National Historic Site
A succession of three hospitals served Fort Laramie from 1849 to 1890. The first hospital was located in the old adobe trading post (Fort John) at the south end of the parade ground. Suffering from structural failure and a serious vermin infestation, the hospital moved in 1856. Constructed of wood and adobe brick, the second hospital was located just below and to the left of the ridge on which you now stand. Only subsurface remains survive. The ruins in front of you are all that remain of . . . — Map (db m87085) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — The Queens of Soap Suds RowFort Laramie National Historic Site
With reddened knuckles and rolled up sleeves, an obscure corps served the 19th century army. Beginning in 1802, the army enlisted women aged 13 and older to wash soldiers’ laundry. Laundresses received a wage, quarters, fuel, rations, and medical care. On average, a laundress washed for about 20 men. In 1868 enlisted men paid $1 per month for laundry services, with single officers paying $3 and married officers $6. Clothing repairs and tailoring were extra. Laundresses also earned extra income . . . — Map (db m86993) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — The Rustic HotelFort Laramie National Historic Site
The Rustic Hotel opened in 1876. During that year it probably provided the best accommodations for travelers between Cheyenne and the Black Hills. It also served as a station for the Cheyenne-Black Hills Stage and Express Line. By 1883, when this photograph was taken, one lady found “horrid little bugs” in the sheets. Three years later the stage station corrals were polluting the water supply and had to be removed. (Inscription under the photo in the lower left) Primitive . . . — Map (db m71020) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — The Rustic Hotel “ . . . No Second-Rate Affair”Fort Laramie National Historic Site
As the nation prepared to celebrate its centennial in 1876, electrifying news of a gold rush in the Black Hills flashed across the country. A new bridge over the North Platte River guaranteed that the preferred route to the gold fields passed through Fort Laramie. Post Trader John S. Collins erected a hotel on this location to provide lodging for the gold seekers. Collins christened the new establishment the Rustic. The hotel also served as headquarters for the Cheyenne and Black Hills Stage . . . — Map (db m87095) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — The Sutler’s House
The Victorian-style cottage, built in 1863 and shown in this 1868 photograph, must have been a strange sight on the untamed Northern Plains. Sometime between 1875 and 1882, the cottage was replaced by a much larger lime-grout structure, used by the Sutler or his agents until the abandonment of the post in 1890. RIGHT: Families of Post Trader John London and Captain Louis Brechemin. This 1886 photograph reflects the serenity of Fort Laramie’s declining years. — Map (db m87046) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — The Sutler’s Store
Parts of this building date from the earliest periods at Fort Laramie. The adobe portion on the left, built in 1849, housed the Post Sutler’s Store.       In 1852, the right section was added and used at various times as the Sutler’s office, the Post Office and a game room. The photograph shows an 1887 view. The rear portion was built in 1883. The Enlisted Men’s Bar and a public saloon were on the right; the Officers Club on the left. RIGHT: The Sutler’s Store in 1875. (courtesy University . . . — Map (db m87035) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — Transcontinental Telegraph
Electrical Engineering Milestone Transcontinental Telegraph Between July 4 and October 24, 1861, a telegraph line was constructed by the Western Union Telegraph Co. between St. Joseph, Missouri, and Sacramento, California, thereby completing the first high speed communication link between the Atlantic and Pacific coasts. This service met the critical demand for fast communication between these two areas, this telegraph line operated until May, 1869, when it was replaced by a multi-wire . . . — Map (db m87102) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Lingle — “If I Should Die Before…”
Many emigrants journals and diaries from the 1840s to 1860s mention experiences such as; “nooning,” camping for the night, crossing over, or burying a loved one on the banks of Rawhide Creek. Of these experiences, death and disease were common. It’s been estimated that there is an average of ten graves to every mile along the emigrant trails. The top five causes were; unclean water, poor food preparation, chilly night watches, sleeping on cold or wet ground, months of exhausting . . . — Map (db m79704) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Lingle — Oregon Trail
Oregon Trail Marked by the State of Wyoming 1914 — Map (db m79741) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Lingle — The Grattan Fight
Sioux Indians massacred 29 Soldiers with their Officer Brevet 2nd Lt. L. Grattan, on Aug. 19, 1854. Site is 1/2 mile north-west. An Indian killed a cow from a Mormon caravan. The detachment of soldiers was sent to receive the offender. In the ensuing fight all soldier and the chief of the Brule’s Sioux, Marton-Ioway, were killed. — Map (db m79706) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Lingle — To All Pioneers
To all Pioneers who passed this way to win and hold the West Trail crossed one mile South — Map (db m79742) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Torrington — Cold Springs
3/4 mile east from this point Cold Springs was a popular camping ground on the Overland Trail to California, Oregon, Utah and other points in the far west. It was a stage station along the Overland Stage Route 1854-1862 and also a Pony Express relay stop 1860-1861. Station tender was M. Reynal. — Map (db m79702) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Torrington — Stuart’s 1812-13 Astorian Party Campsite
Following the Lewis and Clark Expedition, much of the interior of the western United States remained a mystery and most people traveling to the west coast went by ship. By 1811, at the height of the fur trade, John Jacob Astor, owner of the Pacific Fur Company, pursued an overland route to link his trading empire in the Pacific Northwest to the East. He also recognized the new trading opportunities an overland route would provide for his business. Astor sent companies of men, called Astorians, . . . — Map (db m79700) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Torrington — The Oregon Trail
Entered Wyoming at this point 1841 Main trail 3 miles South — Map (db m79699) HM
57 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 169 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.