|West Virginia (Grant County), Cabins — Camp North Fork|
|CCC Memorial Camp North Fork 519-F11 1933 - 1942 United States of America Civilian Conservation Corp Memorial In honor of the preservation of our most valuable resource the youth of America — Map (db m23229) HM|
|West Virginia (Grant County), Gormania — Grant County / State of Maryland|
|Grant County. Formed in 1866 from Hardy, Named for General Grant, later President. At the northwestern corner is the Fairfax Stone, which established the limits of the lands of Lord Fairfax. The county has many mountain peaks and beautiful scenery.
State of Maryland. Named for Queen Henrietta Maria, the wife of Charles I, who gave a royal charter to Cecil Calvert, second Lord Baltimore, in 1632. First settlement at Saint Mary’s City in 1634. It was one of the 13 original colonies. — Map (db m32915) HM|
|West Virginia (Grant County), Maysville — Greenland Gap|
|Cliffs 800 feet high lining great cleft in the New Creek and Knobley mountains, which rival the famed Franconia Notch of New England. Scene of skirmish in 1863 between General Jones' cavalry and Federal troops from New Creek. — Map (db m36835) HM|
|West Virginia (Grant County), Mt. Storm — By King’s Command|
|The proclamation of George III, King of England, in 1763 ordered settlement west of these mountains to stop. The early treaties between the English and the Six Nations accepted this range as the dividing line between them. — Map (db m75184) HM|
|West Virginia (Grant County), Mt. Storm — Fort Ogden|
|Frontier defense, including blockhouse, stockade, and cabins. Part of the chain of forts established by George Washington about 1755. Point of refuge for the Bowmans, Lees, Logsdons and many pioneer families. — Map (db m75185) HM|
|West Virginia (Grant County), Petersburg — A Strategic Location|
|The strategic importance of Fort Mulligan becomes evident as you observe the surrounding terrain. Roads leading north to New Creek, west to Beverly, Buckhannon and Grafton, south
to Franklin and Staunton and east to Moorefield, Winchester
and Harrisonburg all meet here. The height of Fort Mulligan dominated them all.
Tents would have dominated the view here during several periods of the Civil War. Nearly 20,000 Federal troops under Major General John C. Fremont camped in the surrounding . . . — Map (db m14585) HM|
|West Virginia (Grant County), Petersburg — Civil War Cannons|
|This is one of at least seven known gun positions at Fort Mulligan (note the depression in the angle), which would have dominated the crossroads at Petersburg and its ford on the South Branch of the Potomac River. Confederate General Early indicated that these works were very impressive and that a small force with artillery could have held the Fort against his larger force.
Before you is a full-scale replica of
a Napoleon 12-pounder cannon. The
Napoleon was originally developed
in . . . — Map (db m14579) HM|
|West Virginia (Grant County), Petersburg — Defending the Fort|
|Clearly one of the Fort’s entrances, this “sally port” was probably
needed here to rush men and perhaps cannons out to defend
against an assault up the ravine behind you. This was the only
place a body of hostile infantry could gather for a close-quarters assault without first being subjected to heavy cannon fire. The ravine below this site was a natural path to the South Branch of the Potomac River. (Several miles west of the Fort, the North
Fork and the South Branch rivers . . . — Map (db m14577) HM|
|West Virginia (Grant County), Petersburg — Fairfax Line|
|Here was the southwestern boundary of the six million acre estate of Lord Fairfax. This vast tract, lying south of the Potomac and known as the Northern Neck, included the Eastern Panhandle and most of the Southern Branch. — Map (db m94072) HM|
|West Virginia (Grant County), Petersburg — Fort Bingamon|
|Near this fort, established as defense against Indians, stood Samuel Bingamon's cabin. His home attacked and his wife wounded, Bingamon single-handed shot and clubbed to death all but one of a party of seven Indians. — Map (db m50399) HM|
|West Virginia (Grant County), Petersburg — Fort Mulligan — Portecting Looney's Creek (Petersburg)|
|Union Col. James A. Mulligan, 23rd Illinois Infantry, supervised the construction of Fort Mulligan between August and December 1863. Known locally as Fort Hill, the work protected the South Branch Valley and its Unionist residents and also served as an auxiliary depot for Federal camps occupied in October 1861 and May-June 1862. Federal troops manned the fort until 1864.
An earthen fortification, Fort Mullgan’s walls were lined with timber for additional strength. Abatis---trees felled so . . . — Map (db m58679) HM|
|West Virginia (Grant County), Petersburg — Maple Hill Cemetery — Brief Peace in the Midst of War|
|The brick church formerly on this site was named Mount Zion Presbyterian Church. The congregation stopped meeting here after Federal forces occupied Petersburg in May 1862, took over the church building, and began using it as a commissary. The commanding general ordered that “this fence around the church and the graveyard and everything within this inclosure remain undisturbed…It is to be hoped that no soldier or citizen will be so far lost to every principle of civilization and feeling . . . — Map (db m58681) HM|
|West Virginia (Grant County), Petersburg — Petersburg|
|Settled about 1745. Near by was Fort George, Indian fort. Federal trenches overlooked the town in 1863 and 1864. Here is grave of Rev. W. N. Scott, pioneer preacher, who built churches at Old Fields, Morefield, and Petersburg. — Map (db m9260) HM|
|West Virginia (Grant County), Petersburg — Protecting Supplies|
|As you stand here, near the middle of Fort Mulligan, its sheer size
becomes apparent. It is approximately 700 feet east to west and
400 feet north to south at its widest point. Surrounding you are
the Fort’s intricate inner works called bombproofs, which likely
housed men, ammunition and some foodstuffs. You are standing
between two bombproofs and directly in front of you is a third,
much larger. The remains of a fourth exists to the left. These
structures were covered with logs and a . . . — Map (db m14529) HM|
|West Virginia (Grant County), Petersburg — The Impregnable Fortress|
|You are now at the western end of Fort Mulligan. The acute angles at this end of the works were clearly designed to be occupied by several artillery pieces to fend off attacks from the Seneca Road and the ravine to the southwest.
Fort Mulligan was built to be an impregnable fortress. The inner
walls of the Fort were lined with timber and a defensive
barrier of cut trees, known as
an abatis, protruded from the
outer entrenchment walls to prevent a major assault. There are indications of . . . — Map (db m14536) HM|
|West Virginia (Grant County), Petersburg — The Irish Brigade & the McNeill Rangers / The Civil War Comes to Hardy County — Military Events near Petersburg, WV|
| The Irish Brigade & the McNeill Rangers
General James A. Mulligan, USA
Born June 25, 1830 in Utica, NY, James Adelbert Mulligan was a spirited Irish-American who wore a green scarf in combat. At the outbreak of the Civil War he recruited, and was made Colonel of the 23rd Illinois Volunteer Infantry, known as the Irish Brigade. He served with great gallantry, first in the West and later in the East, being twice captured and severely wounded.
After his . . . — Map (db m14750) HM|
|West Virginia (Grant County), Petersburg — The Last Days of Fort Mulligan|
|In December of 1863, Colonel James Mulligan returned to
New Creek and Colonel Joseph Thoburn took command of the
1,785 Union soldiers at Petersburg. Confederate Major General
Fitzhugh Lee’s forces began to move on Petersburg on January 3rd, with intentions of capturing Colonel Thoburn’s forces and destroying the fortification. Unable to move their artillery and supply wagons forward due to poor road conditions, Confederate forces fell back towards General Early in the Shenandoah
Valley on . . . — Map (db m14519) HM|
|West Virginia (Grant County), Petersburg — War in Grant County — Engagement at Johnson Run|
|During the Civil War, loyal Unionist Home Guard companies patrolled Hardy County (now Grant County) to defend it against Confederate incursions. Near here on Johnson Run on June 19, 1864, a mixed command that included men from several companies clashed with a detachment of Confederate Capt. John H. McNeill’s Rangers under Lt. Bernard J. Dolan.
The Union Home Guard unit was returning with supplies from New Creek Station (present day Keyser) on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad about 35 miles . . . — Map (db m58680) HM|
|West Virginia (Grant County), Petersburg — Welcome to Fort Mulligan Civil War Site|
|Exploring Fort Mulligan.
A trail system with interpretive exhibits describe the Fort’s construction, usage and strategic importance during the Civil War. Most of the site is wheelchair accessible, however several areas are inaccessible because of steep terrain. Visitors should also beware of poison ivy, ticks and snakes during the spring and summer months.
Help us to preserve Fort Mulligan Civil War Site by observing the following rules:
Please stay off of the earthworks
• No . . . — Map (db m14518) HM|
|West Virginia (Grant County), Petersburg — Welton Park|
| The Petersburg Gap is a natural wonder exposing Helderberg limestone and Oriskany sandstone cliffs towering more than 800 feet above the South Branch of the Potomac River. The renowned writer and artist, David Hunter Strother whose pen name was Porte Crayon, first visited the gap in 1851. He was the first person to describe the image of a fox and the face of an ox on the rocks to the readers of Harper’s Monthly magazine.
During the Civil War, Federal troops commanded by Colonel James A . . . — Map (db m58677) HM|
|West Virginia (Grant County), Petersburg — Winter Quarters Huts|
|In 1863, your view from here would have been of a barren, muddy landscape, with crude, smoking huts half buried in the hillsides. The area surrounding the Fort was most likely stripped of timber as the need for open fields of fire, fuel and construction materials would have quickly destroyed available resources.
The remains of several winter quarters hut sites are on a terrace
below you. This group of hut emplacements was much smaller and more isolated than the other infantry camps. Log . . . — Map (db m14538) HM|
|West Virginia (Grant County), Upper Tract — Eagle Rocks|
| Named for William Eagle, a Revolutionary War soldier who lived nearby. Enlisting at age fifteen, 12-24-1776, he served in the 3rd, 4th, 8th, and 12th Va. Rgts., Continental Line, at Valley Forge and Yorktown. Died, 1848, and is buried here. — Map (db m85457) HM|