HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Greenwood County Markers
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Bradley — 24-18 — Cedar Springs A.R.P. Church
[Front]: This church was organized 1779-1780 by Dr. Thomas Clark (d. 1791), who had emigrated from Ireland to N.Y. in 1764. Clark moved to this area permanently about 1786, preaching here, at Long Cane (now Lower Long Cane), and at Little Run. He is the father of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian church in the South. [Reverse]: The first church, then called Cedar Creek, was a log building 2 mi. SE. The congregation was renamed Cedar Springs in 1790. It moved here and . . . — Map (db m7184) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Bradley — 24-8 — Londonborough Settlement
Two miles west is Power Spring, traditional site of the town laid out for the Londonborough settlers in 1765. Abandoned by their promoter in London, some three hundred German settlers were brought to South Carolina, given aid and bounty, and granted land in Londonborough Township. They settled in this area along Hard Labor and Cuffytown Creeks. — Map (db m11378) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Bradley — 24-9 — Patrick H. Bradley — 1813–1887
His efforts brought R.R. through this town which bears his name. He was Brig. Gen. State Militia, Captain in Confederate War, Member of S.C. Legislature, Trustee of Erskine College and First President of the Augusta-Knoxville Railroad. He lived nearby and is buried in Cedar Springs Church yard. — Map (db m36941) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Donalds — Greenville Presbyterian Church
Organized 1773 Burial Place of Revolutionary Soldiers — Map (db m11846) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Epworth — 24-13 — Dr. Benjamin E. Mays
The spiritual mentor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Born here in 1894. Served as president of Morehouse College 1940-67 and as presidential advisor. Died in 1984. — Map (db m11044) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — Constance Pope Maxwell — 1875-1883
South Side: At the request of Dr. and Mrs. J.C. Maxwell, major benefactors, the orphanage was named in memory of their daughter, who died at the age of seven. Connie Maxwell Orphanage, a ministry of the South Carolina Baptist Convention, received the first child in care at the infirmary building on this site, May 22, 1892. In 1946, the name was changed to Connie Maxwell Children's Home as more dependent children were placed in care. Through this . . . — Map (db m16422) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — Dr. Benjamin James Sanders, Jr. — 1899-1990
The first born son and seventh child of Benjamin and Elsie Goodman Sanders was born in Allendale, S.C. near Appleton in Barnwell County. The son of a farmer with no school in his community, he attended a one-room one-teacher school that housed grades one through five. He later entered Hardin Academy which was six miles away and walked twelve miles daily to school, unless the horse was free. Determined to get an education, he entered S.C. State as a preparatory student and later received B.S. . . . — Map (db m11631) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — Emerald Farm — A Working Goat Farm
Emerald Farm, 'a very special place,' is part of an original 450-acre working farm dating from the late 1800s. In keeping with its agricultural heritage, Emerald Farm continues to raise livestock, harvest hay, pecans, herbs and fruit on a small scale. What makes Emerald Farm so special is that we offer a hands-on educational facility providing visitors with the opportunity to learn about the wonders of nature and the relationships among the resident species, from the goat to the honey bee. . . . — Map (db m16531) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — 24-11 — Francis Salvador — 1747-1776
This young English Jew settled near Coronaca in 1774, representing Ninety Six District in the provincial congresses of 1775-1776, and died in defense of his adopted home on Aug. 1, 1776. He was the first South Carolinian of his faith to hold an elective public office and the first to die for American independence. — Map (db m11117) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — Greenwood County Confederate Monument
South Side: Our Confederate Soldiers East Side: 1861 - 1865 Patriots Who animated by the same faith, actuated by the same love of country, beset with the same trials and dangers, enduring with the same fortitude and fought as heroically to maintain local self government as did the colonial fathers to attain, the same and with then are immortalized in the same hall of glory. North Side: But their memories e'er shall remain for us, and their . . . — Map (db m16333) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — In God We Trust
Dedicated to All Veterans ---------- To the gallant men and women who served our country with honor during peacetime and war We Shall Not Forget — Map (db m16330) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — 24-6 — John Henry Logan
December 7, 1821 - March 29, 1885 Teacher, Historian, Physician Born and reared near this spot, John Henry Logan first practiced medicine and taught school in this region before publishing in 1859 his History of Upper South Carolina. He served as a Confederate Army Surgeon and afterwards taught at Atlanta Medical College. — Map (db m73346) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — 24-7 — John Perkins Barratt — May 11, 1795 - September 29, 1859
Physician, naturalist, versatile intellect, agricultural leader, president of Abbeville District Medical Society, 1835. Friend of Agassiz, Audubon and other major scientists, by his own advanced thinking, he outlined a theory of serial evolution and foretold airplanes and lunar trips. His home was across this road. — Map (db m11369) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — 24-14 — Louis Booker Wright
Louis Booker Wright (1899-1984), scholar of American colonial history and Elizabethan culture, was born in the Phoenix community and spent his early years at Maxwellton near this site. A prolific author, he was educated at Wofford College and received the M.A. and Ph.D. from the University of N.C. He was director of the Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington D.C. 1948-68. — Map (db m16425) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — Magnolia Cemetery
The National Register Magnolia Cemetery — Map (db m32184) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — Main Street — "Broadest Street in the World'
Made 316 feet wide by the City and the S.C. Highway Department after moving the C.&W.C. Railways Depot facilities from this plot in, 1949 Paul B. Ellis, Mayor J.J. Rauch, City Manager Councilmen R.C. Herman, J.E. Greer E.Y. McDonald, J.P. Childress H.L. Reynolds, J.S. Burnett S.C. Chief Highway Comm. C.R. McMillan — Map (db m16345) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — Marshal Ferdinand Foch
On this spot December 9, 1921 Marshal Ferdinand Foch Supreme Commander of the Allied Armies in 1918 expressed to the people of South Carolina his appreciation and that of France for the aid by which the enemy was checked and defeated and freedom secured Thousands of South Carolinians attended this official welcome to the great soldier whose visit was sponsored by the American Legion — Map (db m70120) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — Mathews Mill Veterans Monument
West Side: Forever Honour'd Forever Mourn'd This tablet is reverently dedicated to the memory of Thomas L. Hitt Carl Henry Holder who gave their lives for their country in the Korean Conflict South Side: Erected 1947 by Employees and Management of Mathews Mill East Side: In Memoriam Here in enduring bronze are recorded the names of those from Mathews Mill who gave their lives for their country in World War II: William E. . . . — Map (db m16328) WM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — Mount Pisgah A.M.E. Church
The National Register Mount Pisgah A.M.E. Church — Map (db m32263) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — Municipal Fountain
Sponsored by the Greenwood Beautification Commission with contributions from individual, businesses, civic groups and city funds ---------- Dedicated September 18, 1864 ---------- Beautification Commission Mrs. George A. Byrd, Chairman Mrs. J.G. Jenkins, Vice-Chairman Mrs. Paul Baker, Secretary Thomas H. Maxwell, Jr., Mrs. Bruce Barksdale Dr. H.B. Odom, Mrs. Robert May Col. E.R. Rosenberg, Mrs. Allston Calhoun City Council W.L. Leary, Mayor Ernest Carpenter, . . . — Map (db m19456) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — Old Greenwood Cemetery
The National Register Old Greenwood Cemetery — Map (db m32031) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — 24-16 — Rock Presbyterian Church
[Marker Front]: This church, originally known as Rocky Creek Presbyterian Church, was founded in 1770 by ministers sent to upper S.C. from the Synods of New York and Philadelphia. The first church here, a frame structure, was replaced in 1815 by a larger frame church built by John and Adam Blake. This church, incorporated in 1844 was renamed Rock Presbyterian church by the S.C. Presbytery in 1845. [Marker Reverse]: Rev. John McLees (d. 1882) was minister here 1847-1882 . . . — Map (db m11115) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — Textile Workers Monument
Not until each loom is silent And the shuttles cease to fly Will God unroll the pattern And explain the reason why... The dark threads are as needful In the weaver's skillful hand, As the threads of gold and silver... For the pattern which he planned. In dedication to management and workers of the testile industry whose sacrifices helped to achieve the goals of our armed forces in past wars. — Map (db m16359) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — To The People of Greenwood County
May the 100 Yoshino Cherry trees planted here and at the Greenwood County Civic Center always grow as a symbol of our friendship and commitment to our new home. Presented in commemoration of the grand opening of Fuji Photo Film, Inc. July 20, 1989 — Map (db m16332) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — World War Memorial
North Side: Erected November 11, 1929 by the Greenwood Post No. 20 of the American Legion the Legion Auxiliary and the Citizens of Greenwood County in honor of the brave men who sacrificed their lives so that liberty and justice might reign throughout the world. West Side: Dedicated to the memory of those who gave their lives in the World War I South Side: Korean and Vietnam Conflicts East Side: Dedicated to the memory of those . . . — Map (db m16405) WM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Hodges — 24-17 — Good Hope Baptist Church
[Marker Front]: This church, founded about 1870, has its origins in Walnut Grove Baptist Church, founded in 1820. Walnut Grove included both white and black members before the Civil War, but after the war black members asked for letters of dismissal to organize a new church. Good Hope was founded by David Agnew, Doc McIntosh, Henry Moon, Wesley Posey, and others, with Rev. W.L. Evans as its first pastor. [Marker Reverse]: Good Hope Baptist Church grew to more than 250 . . . — Map (db m9692) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Hodges — Moorefield Memorial Highway
In Memory of Charles Henry Moorefield State Highway Engineer of South Carolina 1920 - 1935 — Map (db m16326) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Hodges — Old Cokesbury and Masonic Female College and Conference School
The National Register of Historic Places: Old Cokesbury and Masonic Female College and Conference School — Map (db m29534) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Hodges — Park’s / Greenwood County
Park's: America's Most Trusted Gardening Resource Building a Family Tradition Since 1868 It all started in 1867 when 15 year-old George Watt Park, a very enterprising lad, passed around to friends and neighbors a list of seeds he had grown and collected in his mother’s Pennsylvania garden. He then decided to advertise his seeds for sale in The Rural American at a cost of $3.50—and it brought him $6.50 in seed orders! He then saved up $10.00, bought a hand press and . . . — Map (db m11628) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Hodges — Payne Institute
Erected by The Allen University Alumni Club of Greenville County November 1970 In Honor of Payne Institute Established in 1870 by The African Methodist Episcopal Church Moved to Columbia, South Carolina in 1860 And Renamed Allen University — Map (db m11094) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Hodges — 24-5 — Tabernacle Cemetery
[Original Marker] Site of Old Tabernacle Methodist Church. Buried here are Confederate Generals Martin Witherspoon Gary, Nathan George Evans and other Confederate officers and soldiers. [Second Marker] 1000 feet east is Tabernacle Cemetery on the site of Tabernacle Methodist Church and Tabernacle Academy. Buried here are Generals M.W. Gary & N.G. Evans and other Confederate veterans. From Tabernacle Academy organized in 1820 by Stephen Olin developed Mount Ariel and Cokesbury Conference School. — Map (db m11095) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — "Light Horse Harry" Lee Takes the Stockade Fort — June 12, 1781
You are standing in a partial reconstruction of the Stockade Fort as it appeared in 1781. Archaeologists have identified remnants -- see the outlines -- of log buildings that existed here. An elevated firing step, called a banquette, was located at the base of the palisade wall. Step up to the banquette before you and peer through the vertical wooden posts. This is the view Loyalist soldiers had as they stood guard over the town of Ninety Six. In June 1781, while General Greene's tired . . . — Map (db m11345) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Approach Trench — June 2, 1781
"Not a man could shew his head but what he was immediately shot down." General Nathanael Green Approach trenches, called saps, connected one parallel to the next. These angled ditches allowed troops to move toward the fort without taking direct fire from the enemy. Sappers, or laborers who dug the tranches, broke through the hard red soil sometimes with only candlelight to gide them. Dangerous musket volleys often cost them their lives. — Map (db m11213) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Cherokee — (Tsalagi)
The Cherokee referred to themselves as Tsalagi or Aniywiyai which means the "Principal People". Cherokee used the area around Ninety Six as a hunting ground, where they hunted deer, turkey and even buffalo. — Map (db m48494) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Covered Way — 1761
The trench that ran here, from the fort to the stockaded town, was not actually covered, but was used for cover. It was the route for official couriers, Loyalist relief troops, and slaves who risked Patriot fire to bring water from Spring branch to the Star Fort. With walls only three feet high, they had to crouch low to get through the passage unharmed. — Map (db m11301) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Early Life in the Backcountry — Gouedy's Trading Post and Fort Ninety Six
Robert Gouedy established a trading post on this site in 1753. He supplied cloth, tools, gunpowder, lead, and rum to the soldiers, Indians, slaves, and settlers who passed through Ninety Six on the way to or from Charleston and the Cherokee villages. Representatives of the British colonial government often came through here, as well. As the backcountry population grew, so did violence between settlers and Indians. Indian attacks were often precipitated by the French, trying to wrest . . . — Map (db m33594) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Environmental Change From Forest to Park
Once dense forest, this area was gradually cleared by people. Fire, storms, and the introduction of non-native plants and animal species also contributed to changing the landscape. If you lived here in the 1700s, you would have seen these woods give way to farmland. By the time Patriot troops arrived to camp nearby in 1781, there were open fields dotted only by tree stumps. Loyalists in the town, hoping to keep the approaching enemy in view and deny them cover in the woods, had cut down . . . — Map (db m32790) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — First Blood Shed for Liberty
To commemorate The Cherokee Trail Old Ninety Six First White Settlement and First Court House in Upper S.C. First Blood Shed for Liberty in the State Nov. 19, 1775 Erected by Star Fort Chapter D.A.R. 1925 — Map (db m11327) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Gouedy Trail and Charleston Road
The Gouedy trail is a 1.5-mile nature path that takes you through the woods and into a lesser known for historically significant part of the park. This route passes the presumed location of Robert Gouedy's trading post, established in 1751, and the archaeological remains of Fort Ninety Six. It also leads you into an unmarked cemetery, where body-length depressions in the earth and rough stone markers indicate the final resting place of about 50 unnamed people perhaps from the colonial era. . . . — Map (db m33537) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — In Memoriam
Left Column: Raymond H. Barnett, Milton Capps, Robert E. Chaney, George W. Chapman, Lewis F. Ferguson, J. Leonard Goldman Right Column: J. Jennings Jamison, R. Fielding Jones, Morris T. Matthews, Lewis O. McIntosh, William M. Patrick, Charles E. Teague, J. Clyde Turner Erected by the Employees and Management of Ninety Six Cotton Mill Sponsored by Veterans Committee of World War II Other World War II Casualities: Floyd David Clamp, Jr., Albert King III, . . . — Map (db m35026) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Island Ford Road
The earliest roads in Ninety Six were Indian trails, used for travel by foot and horse and for hunting. White settlers followed these trails to explore the countryside, trade, and eventually, to settle. As the stream of settlers into the region increased, better roads were required to transport supplies safely and easily. The historic roadbed before you, the Island Ford Road, was an important travelers route from places east and north of Ninety Six. Years of heavy use and erosion caused the . . . — Map (db m11159) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — James Birmingham
Sacred to the Memory of James Birmingham Volunteer Long Cane Militia Killed at this Site In the Battle of November 19-24, 1775 The First South Carolinian To Give His Life in the Cause of Freedom ---------- Erected by The American Legion Star Fort Post 103 Ninety Six, South Carolina November 19, 1975 — Map (db m11314) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — 24-10 — John Waller — 1741-1802
One half mile south is the grave of John Waller, early minister of the Baptist faith in Virginia, where he is credited with founding eighteen churches. He was persecuted and imprisoned by the established church and civil authorities. In 1793, he moved to South Carolina, where he founded Bethabara and Siloam churches. — Map (db m11332) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Lake Greenwood — A Changing Landscape
A Lake is Formed The Great Depression of the 1930s altered the economy and landscape of Greenwood County. Farmers were impoverished, land values declined, and local textile mills struggled to survive. President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal programs offered work relief for the unemployed. The lake in front of you is the result of the largest New Deal project in this area -- the construction of Buzzard's Roost Hydroelectric Dam. Planners believed the damming of the Saluda River . . . — Map (db m30443) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Law and Order in the Carolina Backcountry — 1773 — The Jail and the Courthouse
The Ninety Six jail stood on this site and the courthouse was about 100 yards from it, near the Charleston Road. After the Revolutionary War, the jail fell into disrepair and its bricks were reused for other purposes. But from 1772, when it was completed, through the siege of 1781, the jail and nearby courthouse elevated this frontier town's status from a remote wilderness outpost to a place of law, order, and civilization. Unlike colonial South Carolina's coastal communities, the early . . . — Map (db m11307) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Logan Log House
Andrew Logan built this house in the late 1700s. The house was the first home built in the nearby town of Greenwood, SC and was actually found hidden in the core of an old house. It was moved here in 1968 where it was put under the protection of the Star Fort Commission then the National Park Service. Today it is used as an interpretive tool and stands as an excellent example of an early American two story log house. The Logan House helps us connect to our past by being a great example . . . — Map (db m30719) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Logan Log House
Built by Andrew Logan in the late 1700s, this well preserved example of a log house of that time was discovered in nearby Greenwood. The historic stricture has been hidden under siding and obscured by alterations from a much later period. Realizing its value as an extraordinary artifact, the Star Fort Commission, which managed this site before the National Park Service, had it moved here in 1968. The two-story house of logs and chinking mortar is typical of colonial-era backcountry . . . — Map (db m30731) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — M-60 A3 Main Battle Tank
WT 52 Tons Main Gun 105 MM Produced 1956-1987 This tank was acquired from the SC ARNG with the help of Sgt. Charles A. Price. This marker was dedicated by VFW Post #8131 Star Fort Post 103 Ninety Six American Legion This model tank was used in Desert Storm — Map (db m35021) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Militiamen
(A part-time soldier who was not part of a standing army.)

During both battles at Ninety Six, citizens took part. These men were not trained regular soldiers. After the battles ended, they returned back to their homes and everyday lives. — Map (db m48559) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Monument to James Birmingham
This stone honors James Birmingham, the first South Carolinian to lose his life for freedom during the Revolutionary War. Birmingham, a member of the Long Cane Militia, received his fatal wound from a Loyalist musket ball. He fought under the command of Major Andrew Williamson at Ninety Six in November 1775 in the first Revolutionary War land engagement in the South. — Map (db m11312) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — New Priorities of Protection
Rock walls communicate that a place is important and worth of protection -- a sanctuary. In the 1940s, Civilian conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees were using the boulders scattered before you to erect a rock wall guarding Lake Greenwood State Park. Following the sneak attack of Pearl Harbor in 1941, however, they dropped their work and were given a new sanctuary to protect -- the United States. The country had entered World War II, and like other CCC men from across the nation, those . . . — Map (db m30424) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Ninety Six — 1775 — A Colonial Center in a Time of Change
The convergence of roads at Ninety Six ensured its success as a hub of commerce, center for law and order, and haven for settlers in colonial times. In 1775 the village had a dozen dwellings, a jail, and, most importantly, a courthouse, making it a seat of power in the area. Residents included blacksmiths, coopers, carpenters, field hands, and slaves. While the 1775 population is not known, a record shows 79 males living here by 1776. American colonists, recent immigrants from Europe, and . . . — Map (db m11304) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Ninety Six National Historic Site — A Revolutionary War Landmark
Ninety Six National Historic Site is a unit of the National Park Service, which preserves lands of national significance. This park features the site of the old town of Ninety Six, an important seat of power in the backcountry of South Carolina during colonial times. The park includes some of the best preserved earthworks -- the Star Fort and a military mine -- of the American Revolution. Here you can follow the trails of the Cherokee Indians who first hunted these woods, explore the land . . . — Map (db m30565) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Ninety Six National Historic Site — A Revolutionary War Landmark
Ninety Six National Historic Site is a unit of the National Park Service, which preserves lands of national significance. This park features the site of the old town of Ninety Six, an important seat of power in the backcountry of South Carolina during colonial times. The park includes some of the best preserved earthworks -- the Star Fort and a military mine -- of the American Revolution. Here you can follow the trails of the Cherokee Indians who first hunted these woods, explore the land . . . — Map (db m30567) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Ninety Six National Historic Site — A Revolutionary War Landmark
Ninety Six National Historic Site is a unit of the National Park Service, which preserves lands of national significance. This park features the site of the old town of Ninety Six, an important seat of power in the backcountry of South Carolina during colonial times. The park includes some of the best preserved earthworks -- the Star Fort and a military mine -- of the American Revolution. Here you can follow the trails of the Cherokee Indians who first hunted these woods, explore the land . . . — Map (db m35098) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Ninety Six National Historic Site / Greenwood County
Ninety Six National Historic Site A Brief History of Ninety Six National Historic Site The Ninety Six National Historic Site is an area of unique historical and archaeological significance. In the late 1700s traders gave the town its unusual name because they mistakenly believed this was the estimated number of miles to the Cherokee village of Keowee in the upper South Carolina foothills. By the mid-1700s European colonists found the town a favorable place to settle in spite of . . . — Map (db m11129) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — 24-3 — Old Ninety Six — (2 miles south)
Even before 1730 the fork in the Cherokee Path 96 miles south of Keowee, was called Ninety Six. Here a trading post was operated, a fort was built and a courthouse town was established. Here the first land battle of the Revolutionary War was fought, Nov. 19-20, 1775; and here Gen. Nathanael Greene besieged the British in Star Fort, May 22-June 20, 1781. — Map (db m11465) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Patriot Soldier
General Nathanael Greene had about 1,000 Patriot troops from Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia. The average height of an adult during the Revolutionary War was 5 feet 5 inches. See how you stand up to this Patriot while standing in the footsteps of a soldier. — Map (db m48534) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — 24-4 — Preston Brooks Dinner
National attention was focused here on Oct. 3, 1856, when some ten thousand people honored Preston S. Brooks, Congressman from this district, with a public dinner in vindication of his assault on Charles Sumner of Massachusetts on the Senate floor for a speech insulting to this state. The Preston Brooks home was five miles south on Highway 245. — Map (db m11466) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Second Approach Trench — June 6, 1781
"Our approaches are going on but slowly owing to the want of men to dig." General Nathanael Greene Early in the siege Greene set up a roation to relieve the exhausted sappers. One team dug while another returned to camp to fashion gabions (large baskets filled with earth) or gather wood for fascines (large bundles of sticks and branches) to fortify trench walls. — Map (db m11240) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Second Parallel — June 3, 1781
By June 3, the sappers had finished the approach trench and established a second parallel. Now that he was in position to attack Cruger's stronghold, Greene, in keeping with the etiquette of siege warfare, made a formal demand for the Loyalists' surrender. But Cruger saw no need to comply with Greene's demand. The Loyalists' casualities so far were light and they had enough food stored away for another month. — Map (db m11229) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Sharpshooter
The rifleman was the "sniper" of the Patriot forces. Instead of a rather inaccurate smoothbore musket, his rifle had spiral grooves in the barrel that tightly gripped the lead ball. It was slow to load but had great accuracy. — Map (db m48558) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Siege Trenches
On the night of May 22, Greene began constructing an assault position only 70 yards from Star Fort, hoping to overrun the fort quickly with a frontal attack. The Americans were driven away, however, by heavy cannon fire and an attack party from the fort led by Lieutenant John Honey which captured their tools. Greene and his chief engineer, Lieutenant Colonel Thaddeus Kosciuszko, then began digging siege trenches about 220 yards from the Star. Construction of the American siegeworks . . . — Map (db m11346) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — 24-15 — Siloam Baptist Church
This church was organized in 1799 by Rev. John Waller, Rev. David Lilly, William Chiles, and Meshec Overby, with 32 charter members. Waller, its first minister, served until his death in 1802. Other notable pastors included Revs. John Broadus, Basil Manley, and W.H. Biers. The first sanctuary on this site, built in 1836, was demolished in 1984. The present sanctuary was built in 1977. — Map (db m27322) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Spring Branch
A plentiful water source was essential for the colonial residents of Ninety Six and for both Patriot and Loyalist troops garrisoned here during the Revolutionary War. The water surely flowed more freely in colonial times. During the sweltering months of the Star Fort siege of 1781, access to the spring was cut off by Patriot guards, causing panic among Loyalist troops and civilians, — Map (db m33711) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — The American Revolution Comes to the South
You are standing at the site of the first southern land battle of the Revolutionary War. The men fighting here were all Americans. The Loyalists supported British rule; the Patriots wanted independence from the Crown. The location of Ninety Six at the junction of several major routes between the interior backcountry and the coast made it a strategic post during the American Revolution. The battle here in 1775 was precipitated by Loyalists, who seized a shipment of gunpowder intended as . . . — Map (db m11308) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — The Artillery — June 1, 1781
Once a parallel was dug, troops could move artillery forward and place cannon in position to batter the ememy garrison. Greene's six-pounders (guns firing six pound cannon balls) were placed here on platforms that sat on earthen fortificatons about 20 feet high and allowed artillerists to fire directly into the Star Fort. These guns were manned by specially trained crews. — Map (db m11194) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — The Attack
By June 17, the Ninety Six garrison was low on food and ammunition. Cruger had expected a relief expedition from Charleston, but hope was turning into despair. Suddenly, a farmer, casually riding near the American lines, spurred his gorse and dashed into the fort through heavy Patriot fire. He brought word to the beleaguered garrison that Lord Rawdon, with 2000 reinforcements was only two or three days away. Greene learned of Rawdon's approach from his scouts the same day. Greene . . . — Map (db m11249) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — The British Fortifications
Cruger assumed command at Ninety Six in August, 1780, and quickly strengthened the defenses. By October he had built a stockade and ditch around "ye Court house and the principle houses" and added blockhouses, probably on the Island Ford and Charleston roads. Cruger hinted to Lord Charles Cornwallis that 'the Ideas of an Engineer would not injure us..." Lieutenant Henry Haidans, a military engineer, reached the post in early December and reported "the works in a much better state than . . . — Map (db m11183) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — The First Parallel — May 28-June 1, 1781
After several days of digging an approach trench to get to this point, a first parallel was established. In siege warfare a series of trenches that face the enemy's defenses are called parallels. The first parallel established a secure position from which Greene's men could advance. The trenches were dug mostly under the cover of darkness and involved backbreaking labor. — Map (db m11179) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — The Forlorn Hope — June 18, 1781
Having established the third parallel and dug a mine, the Patriot troops were exhausted. Promised reinforcements from the Virginia militia failed to arrive. A frustrated Greene wrote to Congress: "...our poor Fellows are worne out with fatigue, being constantly on duty every other Day and sometimes every Day." Circumstances forced Greene to make a difficult choice. News arrived that Lord Rawdon's 2,000 troops were headed to Ninety Six to relieve Cruger. The construction of the . . . — Map (db m33029) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — The Lost Town of Cambridge
After the Revolution, the American government confiscated land that belonged to prominent Loyalists. You are standing on such a tract, and it became the site of a new town of Ninety Six in 1783. The old town, near the Star Fort -- never rebounded from its occupation by the Loyalists, who left the village in ruins after the siege of 1781. In 1785 the state legislature voted to establish a "College of Cambridge" here, and in 1787 the town was officially renamed Cambridge. But by the early . . . — Map (db m30566) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — The Mine — Begun June 9, 1781
"We shall be in the ditch of the enemies works by tomorrow night or early morning; and the powder is wanting to blow up the works. I beg you will send the powder the moment this reaches you." General Nathanael Greene to General Andrew Pickens, June 11, 1781 Now that the Patriots were in striking distance of the fort walls, Kosciuszko decided to use another classic siege tactic -- a mine. The plan was simple. Gunpowder packed in the mine's primary tunnel would be detonated, . . . — Map (db m11243) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — The Patriot Force Arrives — May 21-22, 1781
After a series of disastrous defeats in South Carolina, George Washington, head of the Continental Army, took action. He named General Nathanael Greene to command Patriot forces in the South in December 1780. Greene drove into the backcountry hoping to take key Loyalist strongholds, like Ninety Six. By May 22, 1781, Greene's troops descended on these grounds from the Island Ford Road in the rainy darkness. Soaked to the skin by a heavy spring rain, they toted heavy artillery, supplies, . . . — Map (db m11175) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — The Patriots Lay Siege to the Star Fort — May 22-June 18, 1781
"Our success is very doubtful." General Nathanael Greene May 23, 1781 General Greene entrusted Colonel Thaddeus Kosciuszko with the task of creating siegeworks -- a system of trenches -- that would allow his men to approach and capture the Star Fort. The Continental Army engineer, a 35 year-old native of Poland, had received his military education in Warsaw and Paris. The Revolutionary War trench lines before you provide a picture of how Kosciuszko conducted . . . — Map (db m32831) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — The Patriots Lay Siege to the Star Fort — May 22-June 18, 1781
"Our success is very doubtful." General Nathanael Greene May 23, 1781 General Greene entrusted Colonel Thaddeus Kosciuszko with the task of creating siegeworks -- a system of trenches -- that would allow his men to approach and capture the Star Fort. The Continental Army engineer, a 35 year-old native of Poland, had received his military education in Warsaw and Paris. The Revolutionary War trench lines before you provide a picture of how Kosciuszko conducted . . . — Map (db m32863) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — The Rifle Tower — June 13, 1781
In a single night -- June 13 -- a 30-foot tower made of interlocking logs was erected under Kosciuszko's supervision. From the wooden platform marksmen could aim down into the fort. The Loyalists responded to this threat by making the walls nearly three feet higher with sandbags. The Loyalists tried unsuccessfully to burn down the tower by firing heated cannon balls. — Map (db m11242) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — The Siege of Ninety Six — 1781
In November 1775 -- just months after American and British troops traded musket fire at Lexington and Concord, Massachusetts -- the first southern land battle of the Revolutionary War was fought here in Ninety Six. Later, in 1781, the longest field siege of that war -- 28 days -- took place at Ninety Six. After an unsuccessful final assault by the Patriots, American forces withdrew. One month later, the British abandoned Ninety Six, laying the fort and town to ruin. The site of the . . . — Map (db m30623) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — The Star Fort
On assuming command of Ninety Six in 1780, Lieutenant Colonel Cruger set out to fortify the town in the event of a Patriot attack. The Star Fort was the center of his defense and today offers a rare view of original British military field fortifications from the 1700s. It is one of the best-preserved Revolutionary War earthworks in the nation. Imagine the high walls, now eroded, steep outer ditch, and protruding fraises, or sharpened stakes, driven into the ramparts (walls of the fort), that . . . — Map (db m11265) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — The Well — Begin June 12, 1781
Water was critical to the survival of the men confined to the Star Fort, but the town's only water source, Spring Branch, lay well beyond its walls and within range of Patriot fire. Cruger hoped to remedy this dire situation by digging a well inside the fort. But at 25 feet, no water was found and the effort was abandoned. — Map (db m11293) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Trader with Pack Horse
Roads and paths allowed trade between the Cherokee and early traders. In 1753 Robert Gouedy set up the first permanent trading post at old Ninety Six. Many road traces can still be seen today. — Map (db m48532) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Welcome to the Lake Greenwood State Recreation Area
About Lake Greenwood State Recreation Area Lake Greenwood became a part of the South Carolina State Park System in April 1938. the land for the park was donated by Greenwood County. Originally the park consisted of 1,114 acres. Later the state and county traded some areas so that the park would have additional water frontage for development. The park currently has a total of 914 acres. The Civilian Conservation Corps, a public work program set up in the midst of the 1930's depression, . . . — Map (db m30441) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Why Did the British Burn Ninety Six? — July 1781
The quiet field before you was the site of the once-thriving 1700s town of Ninety Six. In 1781 it had about a dozen homes, a courthouse, and a jail. When Lieutenant Colonel Cruger arrived in 1780, he fortified it against attack. One visitor observed, "Its houses, which were intierly [sic] wood, were comprised within a stockade. The commandant immediately set the garrison, both officers and men, to work to throw up a bank, parapet high, around the stockade, and to strengthen it with . . . — Map (db m33468) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Why is it Called Ninety Six? — A Colonial Backcountry Settlement
The origin of Ninety Six's unusual numeric name remains a mystery. There are many theories. One plausible explanation is that English traders who passed through here in the 1700s estimated this location to be 96 miles from the Cherokee village of Keowee to the northwest, near present-day Clemson. The first known historical reference to Ninety Six is on a map of 1730, created by George Hunter, surveyor general of South Carolina. Long before the Europeans arrived in the 1700s -- as early . . . — Map (db m30703) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Wm. Pierce Bennett Kinard
In Loving Memory of Wm. Pierce Bennett Kinard 1855 --- 1935 Founder of Epworth Camp Meeting who deeded these grounds, eight acres of land, to the Board of Trustees on Jan. 4, 1907 to be known as Epworth Camp Meeting Grounds — Map (db m56785) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Woman and Child
As many as 100 Loyalist families took refuge in the town of Ninety Six during the 1781 siege. They had to suffer the same hardships and disease as the Loyalist soldiers. After the battle many families followed the British Army to Charleston, never to return to Ninety Six. — Map (db m48535) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Promised Land — Historical Promised Land Community
Founded in 1870 Promised Land Community Organized in the Year 1977 Now Known as the Promised Land Association — Map (db m56791) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Troy — 24-2 — Long Cane Associated Reformed Presbyterian Church
4.5 miles northwest is Long Cane Church. Organized in 1771 as Associate Presbyterian, with the Rev. William Ronaldson as first stated supply. It united with Cedar Springs, March 7, 1786, under Dr. Thos. Clark; withdrew Sept. 15, 1808; part of congregation under the Presbyterian Church, 1818-1819; all reunited with Cedar Spring, Feb 28, 1828; withdrew, Jan. 18, 1892. The present building was dedicated, July 20, 1856. — Map (db m9719) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Troy — 24-1 — Long Canes Massacre
Three miles west is the site of an attack by Cherokee Indians upon settlers of Long Canes in the Cherokee war of 1759-1761. There on February 1, 1760, about 150 settlers, refugeeing to Augusta, were overtaken by 100 Cherokee warriors. Twenty-three victims left on the scene of action are there buried in one grave. — Map (db m9433) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ware Shoals — Benjamin DeWitt Riegel — 1878-1941
Beloved Leader, Educator, Industrialist He Built for the Future — Map (db m15598) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ware Shoals — Marion P. Carnell Bridge
Honoring Greenwood County native and lifelong resident of Ware Shoals for his dedicated public service and contributions to sound government as a member S.C. House of Representatives 1961 - 64 1967 - — Map (db m15604) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ware Shoals — The William T. Jones, III Bridge
This man was born and reared on the land adjacent to and southwest of this bridge where his ancestors settled in the late 1750's. His forbears were very civic minded and patriotic and included many doctors and lawyers. Among them were a Senator, a Legislator, a Mayor, a Judge, a Sheriff, a Brigadier General, a Colonel, three Captains in State Militia and Confederate Army and one Captain in the American Revolution. This man has striven to uphold their legacy and owns several hundred acres of . . . — Map (db m11093) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ware Shoals — Ware Shoals Veterans Memorial
The Veterans Memorial recognizes soldiers who served in each of our nation’s conflicts, ranging from the American Revolution to the War on Terrorism. — Map (db m40155) HM
93 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 484 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.