|Georgia (Hall County), Flowery Branch — Gen. Andrew Jackson|
|This boulder marks
the trail of
Gen. Andrew Jackson
and his troops
who rested here
for the night
Erected by the
Col. Wm. Candler
Gainesville, Hall Co.
1928 — Map (db m40837) HM|
|Georgia (Hall County), Flowery Branch — 069-5 — Jackson at Young's Tavern|
|At Young’s Tavern, 12 room log home of Robert Young, where travelers frequently stopped for lodging, Andrew Jackson, his staff and two companies of militia, spent a night on their way to the Seminole Campaign in 1818. General Jackson followed the road through Monticello and Hawkinsville, while the main body of troops went to south Georgia by way of Alabama. This was on the Federal Road, first vehicular way in northwest Georgia, opened in 1805. Robert Young, born in North Carolina in 1760, son . . . — Map (db m25030) HM|
|Georgia (Hall County), Flowery Branch — 069-3 — Old Federal Road|
|The route leading west from this point is the Old Federal Road, an early thoroughfare which linked Georgia and Tennessee across the Cherokee Nation. Rights to open the passage were granted informally by the Indians in 1803 and confirmed by treaty in 1805. Beginning 10 miles to the east, on the former Cherokee boundary, now the Hall-Jackson county line, the road crossed the Chattahoochee 4 miles to the west at Vann's Ferry and bore northwestward.
This highway was the first vehicular and . . . — Map (db m24718) HM|
|Georgia (Hall County), Flowery Branch — The Flowery Branch Depot|
|Cotton, leather and furniture, as well as manufactured items from the region passed through these walls, as did passengers during its working years (c.1890-1970s) as a Richmond & Danville Railroad and Southern Railway System Depot. Sold to the City of Flowery Branch for $1.00 in 1972, the building was later rehabilitated with Federal Transportation Enhancement Funding through the Georgia Department of Transportation, and moved from its original site directly across Railroad Ave. (RR property), . . . — Map (db m27951) HM|
|Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — Bicentennial Park|
|This marker and plaza proudly acknowledges the significant contributions of John William Morrow, Jr., and countless citizens for the betterment of this community.
Born in 1918 in Hall County, John W. Morrow, Jr., graduated Booker T. Washington High in Atlanta and served with distinction in the United States Army during World War II. Upon his discharge from the military, he returned to his native community to begin an exemplary career of civic, religious and governmental service.
He . . . — Map (db m25993) HM|
|Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 - 1902|
|“You triumphed over obstacles which would have overcome men less brave and determined”
Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 - 1902
By Department of Georgia
National Auxiliary United Spanish War Veterans
At the fifteenth Annual Convention
May 15-17, 1938 — Map (db m60433) HM|
|Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — Dr. Emmett Ethridge Butler — 1908-1955|
|Dr. Emmett Ethridge Butler was born in Jefferson, Georgia, and reared in Macon. He was graduated from Morehouse College and the Meharry Medical College. He and his family moved to Gainesville in 1936 where he established his medical practice.
Dr. Butler was president of the Progressive Club, president of the Georgia State Medical Association, and a member of the Northeast Georgia Medical
Association. He was appointed to the Gainesville Board of Education and was elected as a deacon of . . . — Map (db m14530) HM|
|Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — Federal Building — U.S. Courthouse — Gainesville, Georgia|
|Entered on the National Register of Historic Places
January 24, 1974
James Knox Taylor
This property significantly contributes to the nations cultural heritage
Commemorated June 1976
Gerald R. Ford
President of the United States
Administrator of General Services — Map (db m60453) HM|
|Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — HCHS-2 — First Private Mint Templeton Reid Mint — 1830-1831|
|Two hundred yards west, on the north side of Washington Street is the site of the first private mint in the United States to manufacture gold coins in dollar values. During the Georgia gold rush, trade suffered due to a shortage of sound money. There were few coins in circulation and most business was by barter. Templeton Reid (ca. 1787-1851),
Milledgeville silversmith and expert machinist, saw an answer to the problem. He decided to buy raw gold, refine it and stamp coins of proven value, . . . — Map (db m14882) HM|
|Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — HCHS-1 — Hall County Sesquicentennial|
|In memory of the pioneer citizens who gave a great heritage to this area, this plaque was presented December 19, 1968 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the creation of Hall County, 44th county of Georgia. Named for Lyman Hall, one of the three signers of the Declaration of Independence from Georgia, Hall County was created from territory originally a part of the Cherokee nation and from land in Franklin and Jackson Counties by Act of the General Assembly of Georgia dated December 19, . . . — Map (db m23154) HM|
|Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — Henry O. Ward — 1926-2000|
|Henry O. Ward earned the singular distinction of serving both as Mayor of the City of Gainesville and the Chairman of the Hall County Board of Commissioners. The youngest son of H. Bryce Ward and Sadie Bell Braselton Ward of Braselton, he spent his childhood in Gainesville where he attended the city schools and graduated Gainesville High in 1944. He attended Presbyterian College on a football scholarship. He returned to his beloved home to own and operate Ward’s Funeral Home with his brother . . . — Map (db m26061) HM|
|Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — James Longstreet|
|In the military service of the United States 1838 to 1861, Brigadier General Confederate States Army June 1861, Promoted Major General May 1862, Promoted Lieutenant General September 1862, Commanding First Corps Army of Northern Virginia to April 9, 1865 ( Left Side : ) Palo Alto to Chapultepec ( Right Side : ) Manassas to Appomattox — Map (db m63950) HM|
|Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — Jesse Jewell — 1902 - 1975|
|Jesse Dickson Jewell was born in Gainesville, attended the University of Alabama and Georgia Tech, then returned to his hometown in 1922 to work in the family’s feed, seed and fertilizer business.
Encouraging area farmers to raise chickens, he founded a small poultry dressing plant on nearby Maple Street in the basement of a feed warehouse. He pioneered creative techniques and unique machinery to process an increasing volume of poultry. The enterprise grew into the world-renowned J.D. Jewell . . . — Map (db m23152) HM|
|Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — 069-1 — Lt.-Gen. James Longstreet|
|This was the post-war home of General Longstreet, whom General Lee called his “Old War Horse”.
Born in South Carolina January 8, 1821, Longstreet grew up at Augusta. The family moved to Alabama, and he entered West Point from that state, graduating in 1842. He played a gallant role in the Mexican War, and in 1861 resigned from the United States Army to serve the Southern Confederacy. Under Lee his capable performance of duty caused Longstreet’s rapid promotion to Lieutenant . . . — Map (db m25281) HM|
|Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — 069-2 — Lyman Hall|
|Lyman Hall (1725-90), one of three Georgia signers of the Declaration of Independence, was born in Connecticut but moved to Georgia when young. Member of the Savannah Conventions, 1774-75, and very influential in Georgia’s joining in American Revolution; served in Colonial Congress from Parish of St. John, 1755-80.
When British seized Georgia and confiscated his property, he and his family refugeed in the north until 1782, when he returned to Georgia and served one term as Governor of . . . — Map (db m25284) HM|
|Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — Site of the Home of General James Longstreet|
|Lee’s “Old War Horse.” — Map (db m60424) HM|
|Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — 069-7 — The Historic Piedmont Hotel|
|The Piedmont Hotel was constructed here just prior to the opening of the nearby railroad in 1873. Primarily a summer resort, the three-story hotel was a rambling, U-shaped structure with 30 rooms. A large dinning room and kitchen adjoined the building. Confederate James Longstreet (1821-1904) owned and operated the hotel for almost 20 years following the Civil War. During that time, as Georgia’s most influential Republican Party leader, Longstreet hosted a number of notable 19th century . . . — Map (db m23476) HM|
|Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — 069-6 — Two Georgia Governors|
|In Alta Vista Cemetery, two Georgia governors, both officers in the Confederate Army, are buried.
JAMES MILTON SMITH (1823-1890). A lawyer, he entered the Civil War as Captain of the 13th Ga. Inf. and rose to the rank of Colonel. Resigning from the Army in Dec., 1863, he became a Georgia delegate to the Confederate Congress, 1864-65. In 1871 he served as Speaker of the Ga. House of Representatives. Elected Governor in 1872 to fulfill Gov. Bullock`s unexpired term, he was reelected and served . . . — Map (db m14392) HM|
|Georgia (Hall County), Oakwood — 069-4 — Historic Redwine|
|Co. D, 27th Ga. Inf., Colquitt’s Brig., CSA, organized here in early 1861, fought at Williamsburg, Seven Pines, Seven Days Battles. At South Mtn., Md., Sept. 14, 1862, against great odds, men of this Co. withstood four attacks by a heavy force of Federals, in a great display of bravery. Later, they fought at Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Charleston. At Olustee, Fla., Feb. 20, 1864, they helped drive the Federals from Fla. Until Lee’s arrival, they helped hold in check Grant’s army . . . — Map (db m24975) HM|