HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Hamilton County Markers
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — Allison Building
Built in the 1880s by Margaret Allison, this building housed a jewelry store in the 1880s and a cigar factory in the 1890s. The carrara glass facade on the first floor is a unique feature in downtown Noblesville. — Map (db m27840) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — Bachman Building
Built in the 1870s by the Bachman family, this building housed a bookstore, clothier and cigar store in the 1800s. In the 1900s, several restaurants were here, including the “Billy Bee Restaurant” in 1929 and 1930. — Map (db m27885) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — Caylor Block
This three-unit block was built in 1884 by H. M. Caylor as a dry goods store. Typical of Victorian Gothic style, second-story details feature decorative arched stonework around the windows and the Corbel table bearing the Caylor name. — Map (db m27886) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — 29.2005.1 — Conner Street Historic District
Hamilton County formed 1823. Noblesville platted 1823, selected county seat 1824, incorporated 1851. Located east of downtown commercial area; boundaries are Conner and Logan streets (east and west) and 10th and 17th streets (north and south). Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1999. Available railroad transportation after 1851 and discovery of natural gas (1887) helped town to grow. District was a significant neighborhood, including a mix of structures and styles of the . . . — Map (db m240) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — Corner Drug Store
This was the site of the old Corner Drug Store, a three story building & popular gathering spot, which stood from c.1850 until it was razed in 1914. The present structure was then built & continued as a drugstore until 1995. — Map (db m27872) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — Craycraft Block
Built by Daniel Craycraft in 1889, this Queen Anne building housed Meade Vestal's law office. Vestal was a prominent Democraft and Circuit Court judge. The second floor loggia is unique for a commercial building. — Map (db m27842) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — Dedicated to All Veterans
( Etched Seals ) United States - - Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, and POW * MIA — Map (db m37894) WM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — First National Bank
Moving from a modest first floor site on Logan Street, this “modern banking house” was constructed in 1910 as the first new building of the decade. It features a limestone facade and ionic pilisters [sic - pilasters] in the neo-classical style. — Map (db m27917) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — Five and Ten Building
F. M. Bachman, a German immigrant, constructed this c.1880 building for his grocery business. The building is best known for housing the Morris 5&10˘ Store, located here from the 1920s to the 1950s. — Map (db m27845) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — Grand Hotel
J. Frank Becker built the “Becker House” in 1884 and used it as a bakery, restaurant, and boarding house. John Dietrich bought the property in 1905, calling it the Grand Hotel which had a “fireplace in every room.” — Map (db m27887) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — Hamilton County (Indiana) Honor Roll
(Large Stone Benches) (Left Bench) ““ From these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which. . .” (Right Bench) “. . .they gave the last full measure of devotion”“ (Signature) - Abraham Lincoln Lincoln’s Address at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania - November 19, 1863 (Bronze Plaque on Right) In memory of those Hamilton County Men who gave their lives during the Civil War 1861 - 1865 (Row One) . . . — Map (db m38156) WM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — Heylmann Repository
The long-standing carriage & wagon manufactory of Heylmann & Sons had its beginnings here. Built in 1872, it is one of downtown's oldest remaining structures. A facade remodeling in 1918 updated it for a new tenant, the gas company. — Map (db m27888) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — J. L. Evans Building
This building has been continuously used as a tavern since it was built by James L. Evans in 1889. It was strategically located on this corner to service railroad passengers with food and drink downstairs and boarding upstairs. — Map (db m27863) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — Joseph Block
The Joseph Block was built by two wealthy brothers, Julius and Louis Joseph, around 1900. It first housed a furniture and hardware store and later the House of Crane, a popular cigar shop and pool hall until 1928. — Map (db m27864) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — Lacy Block
Constructed in 1888 by Albert H. Lacy, this building appears to be 4 stories, but the blind windows mask a decked roof. The tenants have included a hardware store for over 100 years and the Knights of Pythias for over 40 years. — Map (db m27862) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — Masonic Hall
Built c. 1870, this building once housed the City Theater on the third floor and the local newspaper on the second. Purchased by Masonic Lodge No. 57 in 1884, and updated with a stepped gable, it was home to the Masons until 1915. — Map (db m27865) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — New York Store
This brick structure was built as two buildings in the late 1880s. Around 1920 they were modified with the single facade. Occupants included a hardware store, pool hall, and the New York Store Company, a large department store. — Map (db m27883) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — 29.2007.1 — Potter's Covered Bridge
[Obverse]: First bridge spanning White River at Potter's Ford was commissioned 1860 and named after the landowner, William Potter. In 1870, Hamilton County Commissioners voted for construction of this "Howe Truss" bridge. It was finished 1871 and repaired 1937, 1959, 1961. Plans to replace this structure with a concrete bridge were introduced in 1969. [Reverse]: After 100 years of use, County Commissioners voted to close the bridge to traffic 1971 and lease it to . . . — Map (db m8165) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — R. R. Stephenson Block
A single-step parapet sports the name R. R. Stephenson, the judge and politician who built this block in 1888. Two storefronts housed the gas company and a brother's plumbing business. Since 1933 it has been home to taverns. — Map (db m27913) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — Richwine Block
In 1915 George C. Richwine built a combination apartment house and business block on the site of his home and buggy shop. Then considered a monstrosity, this unusual California mission sytle glazed brick building is revered today. — Map (db m27889) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — Shirts Building
Site of the First Presbyterian Church from 1850-1903, this building was erected in 1904 by Stella Shirts. A central staircase between two ground-floor retail spaces leads up to four office that retain much original woodwork. — Map (db m27890) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — Sowerwine Building
Built in 1867 and rebuilt in 1887, this building has continously held dry goods stores: 1898-1920, C. W. Sowerwine; 1920-1925, Osbon Dry Goods; c.1925-1981, Willits Department Store; 1982-2001, Watson's Carpet. — Map (db m27866) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — 29.1994.1 — The Central Canal
These canal-bed earthworks are remnants of construction on the Central Canal from 1836-39. It was planned to link the Hoosier interior with interstate markets, via the Wabash & Erie Canal, as part of the 1836 Internal Improvement Act. Indiana's bankruptcy in 1839 forced abandonment of the Central Canal project. — Map (db m41624) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — 91001862 — The Noblesville Commercial Historic District
The Noblesville Commercial Historic District has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the united States Department of the Interior - - + - - + - - + - - The District is roughly bounded by: Clinton Street to the North 10th Street to the East Maple Avenue to the South 8th Street to the West 54 Buildings are included in this District — Map (db m37887) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — Wainwright Trust Building
Built c. 1880, the Wainwright Trust Company was located here until the 1930s. The county's first abstract company, Wainwright and Hall, was forerunner to the Trust Company formed in 1901 — Map (db m27914) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — Wild Building
The Wild building was built in 1880 by Leonard Wild, the “merchant prince and largest builder of his home city”. Designed by Huebner and Mueller of Indianapolis, it housed Wild's dry goods store for more than 15 years. — Map (db m27874) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Westfield — 29.2008.1 — Rhodes Family Incident
Side A: In 1837, an enslaved family of three escaped from Missouri; settled six miles north of here 1839 with name Rhodes. In 1844, Singleton Vaughn arrived at their home to claim them; family resisted until neighbors arrived. Vaughn agreed to take family to Noblesville for trial. In route, a crowd stopped Vaughn, demanding the family be taken to Westfield. (Continued on other side) Side B: (Continued from other side) Urged on by the crowd, driver of wagon carrying family . . . — Map (db m27812) HM
27 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 279 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.