HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Hancock County Markers
Georgia (Hancock County), Devereux — 070-8 — Gov. Charles James McDonald<-- 4.2 mi. --<<<
In this area stood the home of Charles James McDonald, elected Governor of Georgia in 1839 and 1841. "Fearless and guided by practical wisdom and integrity," he was Solicitor-General of the Flint circuit. Judge of the Superior Court, State Representative, State Senator, Governor and Justice of the Superior Court of Georgia. Born in Charleston, S.C., July 9, 1793, Gov. McDonald in early infancy with his parents moved to Hancock County, Ga. He was a graduate of Columbia College, S.C. Gov. McDonald died December 16, 1860. — Map (db m48941) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Powelton — 070-9 — Gov. William Rabun3 mi. →
The home of William Rabun, Governor of Georgia 1817-1819. Born in Halifax County, N.C., April 8, 1771, Governor Rabun moved to Wilkes Co., Ga., in 1785. Having the usual backwoods schooling of his day, he acquired by reading and observation, extensive learning. For many years Gov. Rabun served Hancock County in both houses of the Legislature. As President of the Senate in 1817, he became Governor upon the resignation of Gov. David B. Mitchell. He died while in office, Oct. 24, 1819. Rabun County, Ga., is named for Governor Rabun. — Map (db m13347) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Powelton — 070-10 — Powelton Baptist Church
The Powelton Baptist Church, first known as Powell´s Creek Church, was constituted July 1st, 1786, with 26 members by the Rev. Silas Mercer, the Rev. John Harvey, and the Rev. John Thomas. The Rev. Jesse Mercer became pastor of this church on February 4, 1797, and served in that capacity until late in 1825. During his ministry, 200 persons were baptized into the church. The General Committee of the Georgia Baptists was organized here in 1803; the Baptist State Convention was formed in this . . . — Map (db m13346) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — 070-5 — "Old Dominion"
At “Old Dominion”, then the home of John Lucas, in late December 1806, the first meeting of the Methodist North Georgia Conference was held. Although Sparta then was the extreme western appointment in the conference, preachers came from as far away as the North Carolina seaboard to the session. Earlier that year John Lucas with other Methodists in this section had been instrumental in the founding of Sparta’s first Methodist Church and the Sparta Circuit. — Map (db m55552) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — “July” 1858The Original July Foxhound
In July 1858 an Irish Foxhound arrived in Georgia as a gift from the noted hunter, Nimrod Gosnell of Roxbury Mills, Maryland to Colonel Miles G. Harris of Hancock County. The male puppy was named “July.” Col. Harris invited fox hunters for miles around to join him on a fox hunt during October 1859. They brought their choicest runners with them, but they were no match for “July’s” superior performance in the hunting field chasing red foxes. Hunters from surrounding . . . — Map (db m9486) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — 070-7 — Gov. William Jonathan Northen
William Jonathan Northen, Governor of Georgia from 1890 to 1894, lived in this house. Born in Jones County, July 9, 1835 of Scotch ancestry, Governor Northen graduated from Mercer University. He taught for many years at Mt. Zion School in Hancock Co. When he became a candidate for Governor, it was said, “Every man in Georgia had gone to school to him or with him.” They all rallied round and elected him overwhelmingly. One of the most prosperous and advanced farmers in the State, he . . . — Map (db m24076) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — 070-3 — Hancock County
Hancock County, created by Act of Dec. 17, 1793, was named for John Hancock of Mass., President of Continental Congress and the first man to sign the Declaration of Independence. It has been the home of 4 Governors of Ga. -- William Rabun, Charles James McDonald, William Jonathan Northen, Nathaniel Edwin Harris. Among the first officers of Hancock County were: Thomas Lamar, Sheriff; William Pentecost, Clerk Inferior Court; Henry Graybill, Clerk Superior Court; Daniel Conner, Coroner; John . . . — Map (db m24332) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — 070-12 — Nathan S.S. Beman at Mt. Zion(Nov. 26, 1785 - Aug. 6, 1871)
Nathan Sidney Beman, Presbyterian minister, educator, editor, college president, after graduating from Middlebury College, Vermont, taught and preached in New England until 1812, when he came with his wife to Georgia to regain his health. “A man of intelligence and almost boundless energy,” Nathan Beman found unusual opportunities in Georgia where wealthy planters were banding together to establish centers of religious instruction and education for their children. In late . . . — Map (db m24083) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — 070-2 — Old Eagle Tavern
The Eagle Tavern, built in the late 18th century, once stood on the site of the present Lafayette Hotel. A state coach stop on the Augusta to Macon line, the tavern owned by a Mr. A. Abercrombie was the scene of a great ball held for the Marquis de LaFayette in 1825. Burned in the late 1830’s, the Tavern was replaced by the present structure in 1840 when it was known as the Edwards’ House. Renamed the Drummer’s Home in 1897 it was, in 1900, voted by traveling men the most popular hotel in . . . — Map (db m24334) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — 070-10 — Pierce Memorial Methodist Church
The first regular appointment for Sparta as a preaching place on a circuit was in 1799 with George Dougherty, one of the great preachers of the period as pastor. In 1802, Bishop Francis Asbury preached in the courthouse. In 1806, the South Carolina Conference, of which Sparta was a member, held its session in Sparta and the town appears for the first time as head of the Sparta Circuit. That same year, Robert Flournoy, a Revolutionary soldier, deeded a lot to John Lucas and Henry Mose, . . . — Map (db m48905) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — 070-11 — Rockby<------<<<<
About 1 mi. from here, Richard Malcolm Johnston, lawyer, educator, and author, operated Rockby, a school for boys revolutionary in its day. Disgusted with the harsh disciplinary methods of the time, Johnston instituted an honor system whereby students were expected to report their own misdemeanors. His system of discipline, “at once so liberal and so exacting,” worked remarkably well, and Rockby enjoyed wide patronage. Opened in Jan., 1862, the school prospered until after the Civil . . . — Map (db m24172) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — 070-6 — Shoulder-bone Creek Treaty
Near the mouth of Shoulder-bone Creek on the banks of the Oconee River a treaty of "amity, peace and commerce" was signed by eight commissioners representing the State of Georgia and 59 head men of the Creek Confederation, November 3, 1786. Among the terms of the treaty was one ceding all lands east of the Oconee River to the White men. To insure faithful performance the Indians left in the hands of the Georgians 5 of their men. These were: Chuwocklie Mico of the Cowetas; Cuchas and his . . . — Map (db m48972) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — 070-4 — Sparta
Sparta, Seat of Justice for Hancock County in 1795, became a chartered town, Dec. 3, 1803. Situated at an Indian trading post, in constant danger of border trouble, the town was named Sparta to indicate the bravery of its pioneer citizens. In 1864 when Gen. Sherman neared Sparta on his march to the sea, Capt. Harry Culver, C.S.A., home on leave, gathered what men he could find. Shouting orders as if he had an army behind him, Capt. Culver met the Federal outpost who turned their troops toward . . . — Map (db m24343) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — 70-2 — Sparta Cemetery
The main cemetery in Sparta was established on property deeded to the town in 1806. Burials illustrate a common nineteenth-century pattern of migration to the area, as settlers from New England and Virginia moved south and west through the Carolinas and into Georgia. Notable burials include Methodist Bishop George Foster Pierce, president of Wesleyan College in Macon and of Emory College in Oxford, Georgia; prominent nineteenth-century statesmen Dr. William Terrell and Gen. Henry Mitchell; and . . . — Map (db m13378) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Spata — 070-1 — Famous Indian Trail
The Upper Trading Path, one of the historic Indian ways of the Southeast, passed here, leading westward from present Augusta to tribes as far away as the Mississippi River. By various connections the route reached the Muscogees of Western Georgia and Central Alabama; and the Chickasaws and Choctaws of Mississippi. The main stem of the thoroughfare, the Oakfuskee Path, led past Warrenton, Eatonton, Indian Springs, Griffin and Greenville to Oakfuskee Town, chief early center of the Upper . . . — Map (db m48878) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), White Plains — 70-1 — Camilla and Zack Hubert Homesite
Zack Hubert, a former Warren County slave, moved here with his family in 1871. The Huberts were among the first African-American landowners in central Georgia and played influential roles in the area´s African-American community. They named their homesite Springfield. Zack Hubert married Camilla Hillman in 1873. Hubert donated land and helped with construction for Springfield Church and its school, an early provider of technical education to African Americans in Georgia. All twelve of the . . . — Map (db m49413) HM
16 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 123 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.