HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Hardy County Markers
West Virginia (Hardy County), Baker — Frémont's CampEn Route to the Shenandoah Valley
For two nights beginning on May 28, 1862, Union Gen. John C. Frémont and his approximately 20,000-man army camped on the broad, rolling plateau before you. They had marched from Franklin (Pendleton Co.) three days earlier through the rain and mud, almost out of provisions, to reach this spot. In Washington, D.C., meanwhile, an exasperated President Abraham Lincoln sent telegrams to Frémont, urging him to press on to the Shenandoah Valley and give battle to Confederate Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" . . . — Map (db m33596) HM
West Virginia (Hardy County), Lost City — James Ward WoodFounder of Kappa Alpha Order
While a student at Washington College in Lexington, Virginia, Wood formed a society that he named Phi Kappa Chi. He authorized its ritual; created a seal; enlisted family friend, William Nelson Scott, and organized the group in the South Dorm room of William A. Walsh. In the Spring of 1866, several weeks after the group added Scott's youngest brother, Stanhope, Wood changed the society's name to Kappa Alpha. He established the great theme that is the spiritual cornerstone of the Order even . . . — Map (db m49514) HM
West Virginia (Hardy County), Lost City — Lost River’s First Church
300 yards east is the first Lost River Valley Church. Built of logs, prior to 1797, on land deeded by Anthony Miller, 1831, to the Baptists and Presbyterians “to hold in common for a meetinghouse and graveyard.” — Map (db m48935) HM
West Virginia (Hardy County), Lost City — WoodlawnHome of James W. Wood
The frame house across the road is Woodlawn, the home of James Ward Wood, who served as a private in Co. F (originally the Hampshire Riflemen), 7th Virginia Cavalry (CS), from January to August 1864. During this period, the unit fought in the battles of the Wilderness, Spotsylvania Court House, and Cold Harbor. In the summer of 1864, it served in the Shenandoah Valley in Gen. Jubal A. Early's army. When the war began in 1861, James Wood was fifteen years old; his mother died when he was . . . — Map (db m48968) HM
West Virginia (Hardy County), Lost River — Lost River
Settled before 1750. Nearby was Riddle’s Fort, frontier outpost. Here Battle of Lost River was fought in 1756 between company of Virginia frontiersmen under Captain Jeremiah Smith and band of 50 French and Indians. — Map (db m48849) HM
West Virginia (Hardy County), Mathias — Howard's Lick/Jackson Home
Howard's Lick Howard's Lick, or Lee White Sulphur Springs, was once owned by Gen. Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee of Revolutionary War fame. It was owned later by Charles Carter Lee, brother of the beloved Gen. Robert E. Lee.

Jackson Home Here John Jackson and wife, great-grandparents of Gen. "Stonewall" Jackson, settled about 1750 and here was born Edward Jackson, grandfather of the great military genius, before the family moved to the Buckhannon River. — Map (db m50470) HM

West Virginia (Hardy County), Moorefield — Cemetery HillFighting Among the Tombstones
During the Civil War, Moorefield could be seen in front of you from this then-treeless hill. Beyond the town is the confluence of two watercourses that form the South Branch River, which flows north through a fertile valley. The Harness family cemetery was located at the northern end of this knoll to your right. Union Maj. Edward W. Stephens, Jr., with six companies of the 1st West Virginia Infantry and a company of cavalry, were ordered to this area on September 10, 1863, to surprise a . . . — Map (db m58673) HM
West Virginia (Hardy County), Moorefield — Gen. Joseph Neville / McNeill's Raid
(Front): Near here, grave of Gen. Joseph Neville; officer in Revolution; member of conventions of 1775 and 1776. With Alexander McLean of Pennsylvania, he completed survey of the Mason and Dixon line in 1782. His son, Joseph, was a general in War of 1812. (Back): Here, 1865, McNeill's Rangers under Lieut. Jesse C. McNeill started raid on Cumberland where they captured Generals Kelley and Crook of the Union Army. The Rangers, organized by Capt. John Hanson McNeill performed many daring deeds. — Map (db m23213) HM
West Virginia (Hardy County), Moorefield — Maslin House — Civil War 1861–1865
Built in 1848 by Thomas Maslin, one of the leading citizens of the area. During the War Between the States while the town was in the hands of Union Forces, many Confederate sympathizers were hidden in a secret cellar room of the house. — Map (db m9226) HM
West Virginia (Hardy County), Moorefield — McMechen HouseConfederate Headquarters
This house was constructed about 1853 for Samuel A. McMechen, merchant , father of five daughters and deacon of Moorefield Presbyterian Church up the street on your right. The attached McMechen Store, on the right, predates the house. A Confederate sympathizer, McMechen entertained Confederate officers at his house when they controlled Moorefield. When Union forces occupied the town, McMechen left for his cabin at Howard's Lick Spring (presently Lost River State Park) or for friends' homes in . . . — Map (db m47831) HM
West Virginia (Hardy County), Moorefield — Mill IslandConfederate Hospital
The mansion in front of you is Mill Island, constructed about 1840 in the Greek Revival style for Felix Seymour and his wife, Sidney McNeill Seymour. During the Civil War, Mill Island served as a Confederate hospital, especially for Capt. John Hanson McNeill’s Rangers, a locally recruited partisan band. In addition, according to local tradition, the Hardy County court clerk stored records here, away from the courthouse, for safekeeping during Federal incursions for fear that the courthouse . . . — Map (db m58676) HM
West Virginia (Hardy County), Moorefield — Moorefield
Chartered, 1777, and named for Conrad Moore, early settler. During Indian wars, Town Fort, north, and Fort Buttermilk, south, gave protection. Here, 1794, Gen. Biggs brought part of the troops recruited to suppress Whisky Rebellion. — Map (db m9233) HM
West Virginia (Hardy County), Moorefield — Moorefield Presbyterian ChurchConfederate Sanctuary
When the Civil War began, the Greek Revival-style Moorefield Presbyterian Church consisted of the main sanctuary that fronts on Main Street and the small chapel behind it. The chapel was constructed about 1847, and the sanctuary was completed in 1855. The Rev. William V. Wilson, the minister, was an outspoken Confederate sympathizer as was his congregation, which was composed of Moorefield's prominent, wealthy residents. Many sons of the older congregants served in the county militia and in . . . — Map (db m47863) HM
West Virginia (Hardy County), Moorefield — Presbyterian Church
During the Civil War this church was used by both the North and South as a hospital. Union soldiers stabled horses here and burned pews for firewood. Federal government paid $800 indemnity in 1914. — Map (db m9236) HM
West Virginia (Hardy County), Old Fields — Battle of MoorefieldWhere the Fighting Started
The Confederate cavalry brigade of Gen. Bradley T. Johnson bivouacked in the fields to your left on August 7, 1864. Willow Wall (built ca. 1830), visible to your left down the road, was Johnson’s headquarters. Johnson’s brigade and that of Gen. John McCausland (bivouacked closer to Moorefield) had taken part in Gen. Jubal A. Early’s raid on Washington, D.C., and had burned Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, in retaliation for Federal “depredations” in the Shenandoah Valley, which had . . . — Map (db m48970) HM
West Virginia (Hardy County), Old Fields — Fort Pleasant
Built on lands of Issac Van Meter who took up claim near Old Fields, 1735, and settled there, 1744, in chain of forts which Washington established. For a time it was garrisoned by British regulars. Near it was Battle of the Trough, 1756. — Map (db m48991) HM
West Virginia (Hardy County), Peru — Mt. Olive Lutheran ChurchFounded in 1888 by Dr. Conrad B. Gohdes
Last of the Lutheran horseback circuit rides, who was known as a dynamic pastor, theologian, professor of history, philologist and a Christian gentleman. Died 1952 A.D. — Map (db m49580) HM
West Virginia (Hardy County), Wardensville — Lost and Found
Here the Lost River disappears under Sandy Ridge. Two miles away on the other side of the mountain the stream is “found” again as the headwaters of the Cacapon River. This stream has the Indian name for “Medicine Waters.” — Map (db m74493) HM
West Virginia (Hardy County), Wardensville — Oriskany Sand
The massive sandstone forming the cliff is the Oriskany of the driller, and the geologist. The "Oriskany Sand", an important gas sand, has produced in excess of a trillion cubic feet of gas in West Virginia. — Map (db m34572) HM
West Virginia (Hardy County), Wardensville — 1999 — Population Center
The population center of the United State was in present West Virginia four times as it moved westward across the nation: near Wardensville in 1820; at Smoke Hole in 1830; west of Buckhannon in 1840; near Burning Springs in 1850. — Map (db m23212) HM
West Virginia (Hardy County), Wardensville — Wardensville
George Washington laid off land here for William Wallace Warden, Nov. 11, 1749. Warden built a stockade fort, near which members of his family were killed by Indians, 1758, and the fort burned. Scene of skirmishes in 1862-63. — Map (db m23209) HM
West Virginia (Hardy County), Wardensville — WardensvilleCrossroads of War
During the Civil War, most of Wardensville's two hundred residents supported the Confederacy. Southern guerrillas found friends here. On May 7, 1862, Union Col. Stephen W. Downey arrived here with a mixed force of infantry and cavalry, searching for guerrilla leader Capt. Umbaugh. He was found and killed. On May 30-31, 1862, the largest number of troops who entered Wardensville during the war — almost 20,000 men under Gen. John C. Frémont — marched by in a steady rain. Frémont . . . — Map (db m31921) HM
West Virginia (Hardy County), Wardensville — West Virginia / Virginia
West Virginia. (Hardy County) “The Mountain State”—western part of the Commonwealth of Virginia until June 20, 1863. Settled by the Germans and Scotch-Irish. It became a line of defense between the English and French during the French and Indian War. 1754–1763. Virginia. Named for Queen Elizabeth the Virgin Queen of England. Site of the first permanent English settlement, 1607, in America. One of the 13 original colonies. Virginia is the birthplace of eight Presidents of the United States. — Map (db m74496) HM
23 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 144 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.