|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Bloomington — Bloomington Town Hall|
|The Bloomington Town Hall was built twenty feet from this site in 1892 on land given to the Township by the Baillif family. The building was moved to the current location in the 1930's in the first of a number of remodelings the building has experienced.
The Town Hall served as a meeting place, church, school, and municipal building until 1964, when it became the Town Hall Museum and headquarters of the Bloomington Historical Society.
The 2008 restoration returned the exterior . . . — Map (db m15357) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Bloomington — Civil War Monument|
Erected by the Citizens of Bloomington,
Memorial Day, 1890,
In honor and memory of our country's defenders
1861, - 1865.
Sever Ellingson, Chairman.
Wm. Oxborough, Jr.
H.H. Pond, Treas.
E.B. Miller, Sec't'y.
Died In The Service.
John McClay, Co. B, 1st Minn. Vol. Inf.
Orville Ames, Co. B, 1st Minn. Vol. Inf.
Martin S. Whalen, Co. B, 1st Minn. Vol. Inf. . . . — Map (db m56933) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Bloomington — Fallen Heroes Memorial|
SPC Benjamin J. Slaven June 9, 2006 ·
SGT Brent W. Koch June 16, 2006 ·
SPC Kyle R. Miller June 29, 2006 ·
SSG Jeffery J. Hansen Aug. 21, 2006 ·
SSG Joshua R. Hanson Aug. 30, 2006 ·
SGT Germaine L. Debro Sept. 4, 2006 ·
SPC Kampha B. Sourivong Sept. 30, 2006 ·
SFC Scott E. Nisely Sept. 30, 2006 ·
SGT Bryan T. McDonough Dec. 2, . . . — Map (db m42804) WM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Bloomington — Rodney J. Putz 1939 – 1994|
|In memory of
Rodney J. Putz
1939 – 1994
This living garden has been
planted in memory of
Rodney J. Putz.
Leader, Teacher, Mentor,
Friend, Brother, Father,
Husband, Great Human
Being, and key to the success
Mall of America. — Map (db m17287) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Bloomington — Samuel W. and Gideon H. Pond|
|1834 – 1934
To honor Samuel W. and Gideon H. Pond
Volunteer missionaries to the Dakotas who arrived at Ft. Snelling May 6, 1834.
This tablet is placed on the house built in 1856 by Gideon H. Pond. Near-by is the site of the old mission house built of logs in 1843.
Placed June 1934 by Keewaydin Chapter D. A. R. — Map (db m4894) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Brooklyn Center — Earle Brown and the Brooklyn Farm|
|Although this site is known today as the Earl Brown farm, it originally belonged to Captain John Martin, who was involved in steamboating, lumbering, banking, flour milling and railroading. In the mid-1880s, he purchased 420 acres of rich Hennepin County farmland. Martin sold the farm to his grandson, Earle Brown in 1901. Brown gradually increased the size of the farm to about 750 acres.
Aspiring to be a gentlemen farmer, Brown initially used the land to breed award-winning Belgian . . . — Map (db m69931) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Brooklyn Park — How the Dam Works|
|The original dam was built in 1913 and had 28 steel gates. The gates moved up and down to allow different amounts of water to flow under them. The current dam was completed in 1997 and is fitted with five crest gates. These gates maintain levels by allowing different amounts of water to flow over them. Four of the new gates are made of rubber and can be inflated with air. The gate on the west end of the dam is a steel crest gate.
The steel gate on the west side is . . . — Map (db m74833) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Champlin — Louis Hennepin|
left this place
to discover the
St Anthony Falls
Marked by the Daughters
of the American Colonists
– 1929 – — Map (db m69738) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Champlin — World War II Monument|
|Honoring the Men and Women of this Community who Served in the Armed Forces of the United States in the Global War.
In memory of neighborhood boys who made the supreme sacrifice in World War II Kenneth Adcock Robert L. Goodrich Robert Herrboldt Theodore Keniston Orvis Senear Orvin Thorson Walter W. Wagner, Jr. George L. Johnson.
This monument was erected in 1956 by the Champlin Women's Club to honor those Champlin residents who served to help protect the freedom of the . . . — Map (db m70546) WM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Edina — Minnehaha Grange Hall|
| [west side]
Minnehaha Grange No. 398 was organized on December 12, 1873. Its members came from Edina Mills, Richfield Mills, St. Louis Park and the surrounding area.
At first, the Grange met in the homes of its members. Then in the summer of 1879, the Grangers started construction of a meeting hall near Edina Mills. The site was at the southeast corner of Wooddale Avenue and West 50th Street (now the site of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church).
The building was completed . . . — Map (db m55450) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Edina — Old Cahill School|
The Cahill Settlement was one of the early communities in the western half of Richfield Township. It was established in the 1850s by Irish immigrants fleeing famine in their native Ireland.
During the years of 1846, 1847 and 1848, the entire potato crop failed in Ireland. An estimated 1.5 million people died of starvation during the famine years. The pioneer families of the Cahill Settlement were among the 750,000 Irish emigrants that came to the United States . . . — Map (db m55813) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Excelsior — Geology of Lake Minnetonka|
|Like most lakes in Minnesota, Lake Minnetonka was formed during the Ice Age of the last two million years. During several separate glacial periods, ice advanced along different routes across the state. The glaciers, along with large volumes of sediment (clay, silt, sand, gravel, and boulders) trapped in the ice, altered the pre-existing terrain and created the landscape we see today.
Before glacial action, the surface of this region consisted of sandstones and limestones, which formed . . . — Map (db m59925) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Excelsior — In Honor of All Who Served and Those Who Died|
| Army Navy Air Force
Marines Coast Guard Merchant Marines
World War I
Grant Lorenz US Army
Donald Gray US Army
Blanchard West US Army
Mervin Grover US Army
Guy R. Forbes US Army
J. Jay Vietz US Army
John W. Crabtree US Army
Roger Kennedy US Army
Herbert L. Schmidt US Air Force
World War II
Alfred Bottke US Marines ·
Omer E. Huntington US Army Air Force ·
Paul B. Johnsen US Army ·
William R. Olson US Army ·
Donald . . . — Map (db m63784) WM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Excelsior — Peter M. Gideon|
|This Tablet Commemorates
Peter M. Gideon
Who Grew The Original
Wealthy Apple Tree
From seed, on this his homestead
— in 1868 —
The Native Sons of Minnesota
— June 1912 — — Map (db m59217) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Excelsior — Peter M. Gideon and the Wealthy Apple|
|In 1853, Peter Miller Gideon and his wife, Wealthy, arrived in Minnesota from Ohio and settled on the shores of Lake Minnetonka. Long interested in fruitgrowing, Peter Gideon determined to satisfy the craving of pioneer families for apples and other fruits although all previous efforts to grow them had failed.
In 1854, he recorded that he planted one bushel of apple seed and a peck of peach seed. For fourteen years he planted, seeded, and grafted more than 10,000 apple, cherry, peach, . . . — Map (db m59213) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Excelsior — Soldiers Memorial|
[The Grand Army of the Republic Badge]
In memory of our soldier dead. — Map (db m60849) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — 1 — 1–Main Entrance Minnehaha Lower Glen|
|The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board welcomes you to Minnehaha Park. The park consists of two levels: The upper level is maintained as an open picnicking area. Many of the city's traditional festivals such as Svenskarnas Dag are held here. The lower level – Minnehaha Glen – is maintained in a natural state to preserve the natural and cultural history of the city. The combination and the contrast of the two provide you, the user, a variety of experience while in the park.
. . . — Map (db m40787) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — 1st Infantry Division United States Army|
|The heart of the U.S. Army is its regular infantry, with lineage going back to 1808. The First Infantry Division is Americas oldest division. In 1918 the soldiers of the 1st won Americas first major battle of WWI at Cantigy. In WWII the 1st started on the offensive in North Africa in 1942 and led the way on Omaha Beach on D-Day June 6, 1944. In 1964 the 1st became the first regular army division ordered to Vietnam. This Memorial is dedicated to all soldiers who wore the patch of the Big . . . — Map (db m70951) WM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — 3 — 3 – Master Map|
1 Main Glen Entrance
2 Abandoned Falls Marker
3 Master Map
4 Ecological Marker
5 Spring-fed Wetland
6 Old Godfrey Mill Site
7 Lower Glen Geology
8 Camp Fire Area
9 Springs Marker
10 St. Peter Limestone Marker
11 Mississippi Confluence
12 Stone Quarry
13 Lower Glen Entrance
At this point you are near the original mouth of Minnehaha Creek where it formerly emptied into the Mississippi River at a level equal to the top of the falls. Close . . . — Map (db m43665) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Architects and Engineers Building|
This property has been
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior — Map (db m80195) HM
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Beneath the Surface Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail|
|This 1893 map shows the system of tunnels that ran under the West Side Milling District–part of the complex waterworks that brought energy from the 50-foot drop of the falls into the mills. Water from the
river above the falls flowed through gates into a man-made canal. Next, the water streamed through headraces to turn the turbines that drove the machinery, eventually returning to the river through
tailraces to complete the circuit of energy without combustion.
marker . . . — Map (db m28081) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Bridging the Stream Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail|
|People have long crossed the river at about this point. This was a natural fording place, used by Native Americans and also by soldiers from Fort Snelling. The first documented ferry service was provided by a Dakota Indian woman with her canoe in the 1840s. In 1850 John H. Stevens received permission to operate a ferry for the army and later that year built the first frame house on the west side. Danger lurked, however. Row boats and rafts were always at risk of being swept over the falls by . . . — Map (db m50228) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Changing the Shape of the Falls Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail|
|When Europeans first saw the falls, the crest was well below Hennepin Island. Natural erosion caused the line of the falls to move steadily upriver at about four feet a year. By the 1850s, the cataract was approaching the upper limit of the limestone ledge that sustained it. In the course of time, without human intervention, the falls would soon have become a rapids.
The pace of erosion increased after lumbering and milling began. Logs floating downriver crashed against the limestone and . . . — Map (db m28025) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Christ Church Lutheran National Register of Historic Places June 20, 2001|
|Christ Church Lutheran was founded on 1911. This building, designed by world famous Finnish architect, Eliel Saarinen, was completed in 1949. Immediately the building received international acclaim as one of the earliest examples of modernist design of places of worship. The education wing designed by Saarinens son, Eero, was completed in 1962. In 1977 the American Institute of Architects awarded the worship space the Twenty-Five Year Award, an award recognizing buildings of enduring . . . — Map (db m50066) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Col. John H. Stevens|
| Born June .13. 1820
Died May .28. 1900
First settler in the City of Minneapolis. — Map (db m17234) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Como–Harriet Streetcar Line|
|For 74 years this transit railway carried passengers to downtown jobs, to University of Minnesota classes, and to picnics and concerts on the shores of Lake Harriet.
Steam passenger trains of the Minneapolis, Lyndale & Minnetonka Railway first reached this station from downtown Minneapolis in 1880. Called the "motor line," the railway was extended to Excelsior in 1882.
The Minneapolis Street Railway Company, organized by Thomas Lowry in 1875, purchased the line in 1887 and converted . . . — Map (db m38850) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Eliza Winston Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail|
|By 1860 St. Anthony had become a favorite summer resort for wealthy southerners who traveled on steamboats up the Mississippi. Often they and their black slaves stayed at the Winslow House. One such slave was Eliza Winston. Slavery was illegal in Minnesota, and a local free black woman named Emily Grey persuaded her to leave her owner. A court sustained Winston's right to freedom, but a proslavery crowd threatened harm. Antislavery people in the town hid her, and she later made her way to Canada. — Map (db m42714) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Father Hennepin Bluffs|
|This was the site from which Father Louis Hennepin, the Franciscan Priest, first viewed the Falls of St. Anthony in June of 1680. He named the falls after his patron saint St. Anthony of Padua.
The famous waterfall was responsible for the birth of Minneapolis. The cataract is the most abrupt drop in the 2,200 mile course of the Mississippi River.
This immediate ground, which commemorates St. Anthony Falls, was the former Lucy Wilder Morris Park. The original size of the area was . . . — Map (db m21030) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — First School House|
|This tablet marks the
site of the
First School House
Revs. J. D. Stevens
and Gideon H. Pond
July 5, 1911 — Map (db m65803) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Former Site of Plymouth Congregational Church 1875 to 1907|
[Title is text] — Map (db m79250) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Geology of Minnesota Lake Harriet Region|
The continental glaciers spreading over Minnesota during the great ice ages brought vast quantities of rock material from the north to be dumped indiscriminately during the recession of the ice. Old river valleys were filled and belts of hills were formed as conditions changed. The Lake Harriet landscape has such an origin.
Leaving the present channel of the Mississippi River at the Plymouth Avenue Bridge, a preglacial valley runs almost directly south beneath Lake of the . . . — Map (db m37863) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Geology of Minnesota Minnehaha Falls|
Near Fort Snelling, 10,000 years ago, melt water from the Wisconsin glacier was discharged through the Mississippi River and plunged over a ledge of Platteville limestone into a gorge cut chiefly in the white St. Peter sandstone. The undercutting action in the soft sandstone caused the limestone ledge to break off with a vertical face, thus maintaining the falls, while causing them to retreat upstream. When the falls in the main channel passed the upper end of the island–where the . . . — Map (db m40765) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — George Washington Bi-Centennial Tree|
|Planted April 27 1932
This tablet placed
April 27 1934
By Halvarson-Bowers Aux' 187
Veterans of Foreign Wars — Map (db m17227) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Gunnar Wennerberg Swedish Poet, Composer, Educator and Statesman 1817 – 1901|
|[In Swedish and English, English version follows]:
Oh God, who rulest fate of nations,
Almighty thou in every land;
Who holdest life and deaths privations.
Within the hollow of thy hand,
Whatever punishment thou wieldest
For Sveas sin of yore gainst thee,
Endure she will, if thou but shieldest
Her immemorial liberty.
Statue presented to the City of Minneapolis
June 24, 1915 by
Wennerberg Memorial Association. — Map (db m17235) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Harriet Bandshells / Our Park Legacy Music, Wind and Fire on the Lake Established 1993|
|Do you know how many bandshells have been built at Lake Harriet? Five, each each built with a distinct style and features.
1888: The first bandshell was constructed by
the Minneapolis Street Railway Company on their property near the rail line. It was built to
encourage ridership on the rails by drawing
tourists to the lake. The lake was at the end of
the line, far from most city residents.This
bandshell was the largest of them all and
burned down in 1891.
1891: The Street . . . — Map (db m86816) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Historic Milling District|
|This aerial view shows the gatehouse, water power canal and adjacent mills as they appeared in 1945. They, together with similar structures on the east bank, made Minneapolis the milling capital of the nation from 1880-1930. Changes in marketing and technology led to its decline.
In the near future, the parkway and related park facilities will be developed in this area. The gatehouse will be uncovered, the canal reopened, and the mill ruins developed as an historic interpretive park. Plans . . . — Map (db m27169) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — History of the Garden Eloise Butler—Wildflower Garden Founder|
|“. . . a bit of natural growth is a source of greater delight to the true nature lover than the most beautiful and most highly cultivated garden” —Eloise Butler
Teacher and botanist Eloise Butler was the Garden's founder. Born in rural Maine, Eloise spent her youth roaming woods, meadows and bogs. Her love of the outdoors led her to become a botany teacher. She taught for 36 years in the Minneapolis school system and became known for taking students . . . — Map (db m86830) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Indians at the Falls Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail|
|For Native American people, the Falls of St. Anthony was a landmark and sacred place. The river was a major highway for trade and travel. Although no Indian villages have been recorded here, oral traditions suggest frequent visits for fishing and maple sugaring. When white settlers started arriving from the east in the 1840s, Dakota Indians still lived across the prairies to the west and along the Mississippi to the south. The Ojibway Indians lived by the rivers and lakes in the vast white pine forests to the north. — Map (db m43661) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — John Harrington Stevens House|
|Built in 1850, this was the first house on the west bank of the Mississippi, located at Saint Anthony Falls near the present-day Minneapolis Post Office.
John H. Stevens received permission to occupy the site, a part of the Fort Snelling military reservation in exchange for providing ferry service at Saint Anthony Falls. Steven's house and claim were originally known as the "ferry farm."
In the years 1850 – 1855, this house became the civic and social hub of the west bank . . . — Map (db m17264) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Joseph N. Nicollet Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail|
|Nicollet Island bears the name of a French scholar and scientist who explored the headwaters of the Mississippi for the US government in 1836. Accompanied by some Ojibway friends and two hired voyageurs, Joseph Nicollet camped by the falls for several days, then canoed up the river with his barometer, sextant, chronometer, charts, and notebooks. From his measurements he created the first reliable map of the region. — Map (db m38455) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Minnehaha Depot|
|Milwaukee Road station agents affectionately referred to the quaint little Minnehaha Depot as "the Princess." Its delicate gingerbread architecture is reminiscent of the Victorian era when ladies in bustles and gentlemen in high collars traveled largely by train.
The first track connecting Minneapolis with Mendota was laid in 1865 by the Minnesota Central Railway, the predecessor of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway. The Princess was built in the mid-1870s to replace a smaller . . . — Map (db m17233) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — New Uses for Old Mills Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail|
|The square seven-story building with a sloping mansard roof at First Street and Fifth Avenue was built in 1879 as the Crown Roller Mill. It was then one of the largest and most modern flour mills at the falls, although its daily capacity of 2,400 barrels was soon surpassed by others.
Because of the heavy machinery they held, flour mills had thick stone or brick walls and massive foundations, making them good candidates for remodeling and re-use. In 1988, with a combination of public and . . . — Map (db m43004) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Peavey Fountain|
|Given to the people of Minneapolis in 1891 by F.H. Peavey as a drinking fountain for horses. This monument was rededicated as a memorial to the horses of the 151st Field Artillery Minnesota National Guard killed in action in the First World War. — Map (db m76192) HM WM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Pettingill's Wonderful Water Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail|
|A natural spring flows from the rock at the base of Hennepin Bluff below this spot. According to tradition the iron-red mud at the spring provided pigment for Native Americans. White settlers of the 1850s believed the water had medicinal qualities. In 1875 the enterprising M.P.Pettingill capitalized on the popularity of the falls as a tourist mecca and health resort by building a spa and selling the water. The business was abandoned in the early 1880s when the source of the spring was traced to a dirty swamp some distance away. — Map (db m21033) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Portaging Around the Falls Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail|
|For untold generations of Indian people the Mississippi River was an important canoe route. To pass around the falls, the Dakota (Sioux) and Ojibway (Chippewa) used a well-established portage trail. Starting at a landing below the site now occupied by the steam plant, the trail climbed the bluff to this spot. From here it followed the east bank along what is now Main Street to a point well above the falls. — Map (db m21032) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — President Lyndon B. Johnson|
|President Lyndon B. Johnson, Senator Hubert H. Humphrey, and Governor Karl Rolvaag enjoy the spray from Minnehaha Falls. On that day in 1964, however, Minneapolis was experiencing a drought. In order to create the beautiful display of the falls pictured here, the city had to open many fire hydrants, upstream and out of sight, to feed water to the creek.
Photo by Minneapolis Tribune — Map (db m41153) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Richard Chute Square|
|The University of Minnesota's first building, a preparatory school, was located on this site from 1851 until the University moved to its present location in 1855.
When the city of Minneapolis acquired the land for a park in 1903, it was named in honor of businessman Richard Chute, an early University of Minnesota regent and a director of the St. Anthony Waterpower Company.
The Ard Godfrey House, which was owned by the Chute family from 1880 until its purchase by the Hennepin . . . — Map (db m37825) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — State Theatre Built 1921 Restored 1991|
A project for the City and the People of Minneapolis by the Minneapolis Community Development Agency
[City Officials listed]
"Dedicated to the People of Minneapolis and their children and their children's children, that through the years it may lighten the cares of life's vicissitudes with wholesome laughter, that they may drink the innocent inspirations of music, that they may trap themselves in the soft cloak of the Arts and revel in decent recreation against the humdrum routine of . . . — Map (db m71879) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Stone Arch Bridge|
|"This viaduct...is the only one of its kind that spans the Father of Waters, and is one of the largest and most noteworthy in the United States.
Firmer than the earth which supports it, it is constructed to stand the test of time."
—Daily Minnesota Tribune, November 23, 1883
St. Anthony Falls Historic District, National Historic Register of Historic Places, 1971
National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark, 1975
The Stone Arch Bridge . . . — Map (db m27042) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Symbols on the Skyline Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail|
|Several structures have dominated the crest of the hill above this spot. The first was a luxury hotel named the Winslow House, built in 1857 by James M. Winslow while St. Anthony was still a favorite resort and health spa. Its style of architecture according to a St. Paul newspaper had "a cupola and mortgage on top." During the Civil War, tourists from the South stopped spending summers at the falls, and the hotel closed.
The Winslow House was torn down in 1886 to make way for the . . . — Map (db m50208) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — The Ard Godfrey House|
|Built in 1848, the Ard Godfrey House is the earliest frame house still standing in Minneapolis. An example of Greek Revival architecture, it originally occupied a site in the vicinity of Main and Second Streets Southeast.
Ard Godfrey, a millwright, moved here from Maine in 1847 to build a sawmill at St. Anthony Falls, the only major falls on the Mississippi River waterway. More than 125 years ago this house became a popular meeting place for citizens of the area and for visitors. Godfrey, . . . — Map (db m37774) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — The Barrel-Makers' Co-ops Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail|
|The red brick building at the corner of Third Avenue and First Street was one of many factories that supplied the barrels used for flour. Called coopers, the skilled workers who made barrels pioneered a new role for labor in Minneapolis. When their wages were cut in 1874 and a strike was broken, some of them formed a co-op. The idea spread, and by 1886 two-thirds of the coopers at the falls belonged to shops owned and managed by the workers. They prospered until flour sacks replaced barrels after 1900. — Map (db m44523) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — The Basilica of Saint Mary|
|This property has been placed on the
National Register of Historic Places
By the United States Department of the Interior
— Map (db m75412) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — The Church of Our Lady of Lourdes|
|Near this spot in 1630 Father Louis Hennepin first sighted and named the Falls of Saint Anthony.
This is the oldest standing church in the city of Minneapolis. The front rectangular nave, built of native limestone, was opened by the First Universalist Society in 1857.
In 1877 the French - Canadian Catholic community of Minneapolis purchased the original structure. Adding the transepts, sacristy, and bell tower, this community has worshipped here for 100 years.
The building was . . . — Map (db m51065) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — The Crash of Flight 307 March 7, 1950 at 9:02 PM|
|During its approach through a blinding snowstorm, NWA Flight 307 clipped its left wing on the flagpole at Ft. Snelling Cemetery. Captain Donald Jones struggled to maintain altitude as he circled around for another attempt. The wing detached completely above the Washburn Water Tower, causing the plane to crash into the Doughty family home directly across from this spot. The resulting explosion and fire destroyed the house and severely damaged two adjacent dwellings. Children Janet and Tommy . . . — Map (db m56011) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — The House of John H. Stevens Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail|
|The US Post Office stands on the site of the first permanent dwelling in what is now Minneapolis. The land was part of the Fort Snelling Military Reservation in 1849, but the army allowed John H. Stevens to build a house in return for operating a ferry above the falls.
For a time, John Stevens and his wife, Frances Helen, had no white neighbors, but they recalled often walking to find Indians camping nearby on their way to sell food and buy goods in the shops of St. Anthony across the . . . — Map (db m43036) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — The Pillsbury A Mill Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail|
|The Pillsbury A Mill, built of Platteville limestone, was the worlds largest flour mill when it was completed in 1881. The design by LeRoy S. Buffington is considered a classic of industrial architecture, and the interior of the mill boasted state-of-art technology. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1966. The mill originally produced 5,000 barrels of flour per day, a capacity that was later increased to more than 17,000 barrels. Pillsburys Best Flour is still sold around the . . . — Map (db m40687) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — The Stone Arch Bridge Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail|
|In 1879 St. Paul railroad magnate James J. Hill opened his "Manitoba line" to the Canadian border, linking the wheat fields of the Red River Valley with the flour mills of Minneapolis. To improve railroad access at the falls he built this 2,100-foot bridge that stands as a monument to the railroad era and Hill's vision. Completed in 1883 with a sweeping curve at its west end, the bridge is a unique example of skilled masonry construction. In 1974 it was named a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark. — Map (db m21031) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — The Washburn and Pillsbury Clans Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail|
|Minneapolis flour milling magnate, Cadwallader C. Washburn, was a member of a Maine family that sent four brothers to Congress, all from different states. Cadwallader served Wisconsin as congressman (1854-61, 1867-71) and governor (1872-73). His younger brother, William D. Washburn, also a Minneapolis mill owner, became a Minnesota congressman in 1879 and US senator in 1889.
George A. and John S. Pillsbury, brothers from New Hampshire, became frontier businessmen and millers in . . . — Map (db m44409) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — The West Side Milling District Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail|
|Minneapolis on the west bank of the river quickly overtook St. Anthony on the east side. A major reason was more efficient use of water power. In 1857 the Minneapolis Mill Company started to build a canal along South First Street. Enlarged and extended several times, it provided waterpower to a total of 25
assorted factories and mills by 1871.
As flour production boomed in the 1870s, other industries were crowded out. From the 1880s through the 1920s, some two dozen flour mills lined the . . . — Map (db m27746) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — The Whirlpool Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail|
|"The falls are going out!" cried the alarmed citizens of St. Anthony on October 5, 1869. A tunnel being dug under the river bed to bring waterpower to Nicollet Island had collapsed. A giant whirlpool formed
below the island as the river rushed into the hole. Efforts to plug it with log rafts, dams, and mud were all unsuccessful. New breaks opened up and swallowed the lower part of Nicollet Island. The problem was
finally fixed in 1876 when the US Army Corps of Engineers constructed a large dam underneath the entire river bed. — Map (db m42741) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Westminster Presbyterian Church|
The former site of
Dedicated March 11, 1883
Destroyed by fire
September 6, 1895.
— Map (db m3687) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — William de la Barre Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail|
|After the Washburn A Mill explosion in 1878, a young Vienna-born engineer called on owner Cadwallader C. Washburn with a dust-collecting device that he said would prevent such accidents. Washburn hired him to oversee rebuilding the A Mill. William de la Barre stayed as the engineer for the milling companies that controlled the use of the falls. By improving the water distribution system, he increased the over-all output of waterpower nearly six times. His work ushered in the era of . . . — Map (db m43664) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Mound — 9/11 Memorial|
Dedicated to the victims
who lost their lives
in the terrorist attacks
on September 11, 2001
"Terrorist attacks can
shake the foundations
of our biggest buildings,
but they cannot touch
the foundation of America."
President George W. Bush
September 11, 2001
Donated By Chamberlain Goudy VFW Post 5113
— Map (db m59394) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Mound — Minnetonka -- Queen of the Inland Lakes|
|In May, 1822, a Fort Snelling drummer boy named Joseph R. Brown and his friend, William Snelling, son of the fort's commander, canoed up what is now called Minnehaha Creek to "discover" a lake long sacred to the Indian people who built burial mounds along its shores. Thirty years later, the 23-square-mile natural lake with 110 miles of indented shoreline was named "Minnetonka" -- Dakota for "Great Piece of Water" -- by Governor Alexander Ramsey.
By the early 1880s Lake Minnetonka had . . . — Map (db m59258) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Mound — SurfSide Park City of Mound|
|Mound's "Surfside Park & Beach" was platted in 1881 and consists of two parcels. Little is known of its history until 1935, when the northerly parcel was purchased for $350. The southerly parcel consists of five lots. Four of the lots were purchased for a total of $2001 in 1940, and the remaining lot was purchased for $1000 in 1962.
The park's earliest neighbor to the east, the Chapman House Hotel, was homesteaded in 1881. The hotel was located where Chapman Place Condominiums are . . . — Map (db m60470) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Mound — Veterans Monument|
|Army Navy Coast Guard Marines Air Force
[military service seals]
This monument is dedicated to all the men and women who served in times of peace and war. All gave some...
some gave all
Mound Post #5113
Minnetonka Post #398
City of Mound
Dedicated November 11, 2008
— Map (db m60833) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Richfield — Colonel Josiah Snelling 1782 – 1828 Soldier · Pioneer · Builder|
He served with distinction in the Indian wars of the old northwest border and in the War of 1812. In August, 1820, he assumed command of the Fifth United States Infantry at Camp Coldwater on the site of Fort Snelling. Selecting the bluffs at the junction of the rivers for the construction of Fort St. Anthony, he laid the cornerstone September 10, 1820, and built the stone fort which for years was the Nation's strongest outpost on the Western Frontier. As a compliment to him . . . — Map (db m17240) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Richfield — Elizabeth R. Snelling|
The first white
born in Minnesota
Erected by the
Fort Snelling, Minn.
May 30, 1926
1940 — Map (db m12652) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Richfield — Fort Snelling 1861–1946|
|This historical ground was a pivotal place in the development of the Northwest. With the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, Fort Snelling expanded its limestone walls into this area, formerly a part of the U.S. Indian Agency and the location of the fort's gardens. As the frontier moved west following the war, the fort, as Headquarters of the Department of Dakota, administered and supplied dozens of western posts.
The military played an increasing world roll after 1898, and the fort . . . — Map (db m42180) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Richfield — Giacomo Constantino Beltrami 1779 – 1855|
|From this point, Beltrami, Italian jurist, scholar and explorer, on July 7, 1823, started his journey into the wilderness of northern Minnesota resulting in his discovery of the source of the Mississippi River August 19, 1823. Through persistence, audacity, self-denial and steadfast courage he contributed a fresh chapter to the already brilliant record of important discoveries in this new land by such gallant Italian explorers as Columbus, Amerigo Vespucci, the Cabots and others.
Presented . . . — Map (db m17239) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Richfield — PFC. Jimmy Berray United States Marine Corps 1922 – 1942|
|Mortally wounded Nov. 13, 1942 during the naval battle of Guadalcanal while serving on the cruiser USS San Francisco. Awarded Navy Cross for Distinguished Service in this battle.
Buried at Sea, Nov. 14, 1942
"On the early morning of Nov. 13, Jimmy was seriously injured by shrapnel from a Japanese warship and died later that day. A more gallant, inspiring fight for life I shall never again witness. Jimmy Berray is a hero, a true hero. While seriously wounded he constantly waived . . . — Map (db m67005) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Richfield — Richfield Pioneer Homestead General Riley Lucas Bartholomew 30 May 1807 - 21 September 1894|
|Born the son of 1812 War Veteran, Benjamin Bartholomew, and a grandson of Revolutionary War heroes, Benjamin Bartholomew and Abigail Patchen Bartholomew, Riley was the oldest of 12 siblings living on a frontier farm in Harpersfield, Ashtabula County in The Western Reserve of Ohio. He joined the Ohio Militia, rose to the rank of General, later was elected County Sheriff.
In 1850 General Riley L. Bartholomew, his parents, his siblings and their families headed West to Wisconsin, then to new . . . — Map (db m37380) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Richfield — The First Flag Raised Over Iwo Jima|
|On the morning of February 23, 1945, members of the 3rd Platoon, 28th Regiment, 5th Marine Division were given orders to climb and secure Mount Suribachi. Upon reaching the top, a Marine stood guard while the other Marines raised the first American Flag on Japanese soil. The ships' bells and whistles, and cheers from the U.S. troops rang out loud upon seeing the American Flag waving on the summit.
The centerpiece of this memorial is the flag of the United States of America, flying above a . . . — Map (db m73111) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Richfield — The Honoring All Veterans Memorial|
|This memorial pays tribute to the men and women of this country who are Veterans from all US Military branches – Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Merchant Marines, Coast Guard, and Air Force. The memorial is a place to reflect and thank those who have served, are serving, or will serve.
To recognize those women and men who have served our country, protecting our freedom and our lives, the names of all honorably discharged Veterans are welcome on the memorial tablets; active or retired, . . . — Map (db m57566) WM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Richfield — The Prairie|
|A Sea of Grass
In its early days Fort Snelling was surrounded by a sea of head-high grass. The vast Minnesota prairie was broken only by small groves of trees—willows, cottonwoods, and oaks that grew near creeks, lakes, and marshes.
Early soldiers at Fort Snelling had limited success farming the prairie. Tools to break the soil and seeds adapted to the climate would not be available until the late 1840's. They did find the prairie hay to be excellent forage for livestock, . . . — Map (db m17259) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Richfield — U.S. Army, Buildings 17 and 18|
|Built in 1904-05 by the U.S. Army, Buildings 17 and 18 were constructed as double barracks to house cavalry troops. By 1911 the cavalry had left Fort Snelling, but the buildings continued to house troops through the early 1940s as the post grew in size. By the mid-1940s, Military Intelligence Service Language School students, most of whom were second-generation Japanese Americans studying to become interpreters and translators, were quartered in the buildings.
After the post was . . . — Map (db m74889) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Richfield — Whiskey|
A Great Horse
A Stout Heart
1911 – 1943 — Map (db m17237) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Richfield — World War Memorial|
|We Honor Those
- Who -
Do Us Honor
In this metal we inscribe our humble expression of appreciation to those citizens of this community who answered our country's call to arms, and in loving memory of those who gave their lives in the World War 1914·1918
Richfield and Community
1918 — Map (db m73063) WM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Saint Paul — Wokiksuye K'a Woyuonihan Remembering and Honoring|
|This memorial honors the sixteen hundred Dakota people, many of them women and children, who were imprisoned here at Fort Snelling in the aftermath of the 1862 U.S.-Dakota Conflict. Frightened, uprooted, and uncertain of the fate of their missing relatives, the interned Dakota suffered severe hardship. At least 130 died during the cold winter months of captivity.
In May, 1863, the survivors from the camp were crowded aboard steamboats and taken to Crow Creek in southeastern South Dakota. . . . — Map (db m50817) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Shorewood — HE-SHC-022 — Christmas Lake|
|Named for Charles W. Christmas, first county surveyor of Hennepin County, elected in 1852, who platted the original town site of Minneapolis for John H. Stevens and Franklin Steele. This lake and Lake Minnetonka now occupy what in pre-glacial times was part of the channel of the Mississippi River near its junction with the pre-glacial Minnesota River. — Map (db m71571) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), St. Paul — Three Islands in the Mississippi|
|The Mississippi Rivers many islands are well known to navigators, and
the roles of several as accessible and safe havens for villages, camps,
and forts have made
them significant in Minnesotas past. Lt. Zebulon Pike
chose this island, later named for him, as a camp site on his 1805
expedition to explore the upper Mississippi, following the Louisiana Purchase.
Pike met with Dakota Indian leaders here and purchased land which would
later become part of the Twin Cities.
Grey Cloud . . . — Map (db m83127) HM|
|Minnesota (Hennepin County), Wayzata — Wayzata Depot|
|The Wayzata Depot was built in 1906 by James J. Hill, owner of the Great Northern Railroad. The English Tudor structure, designed by architect Samuel Bartlett, was noted for its hot water heat and indoor plumbing and at one time was considered the handsomest depot on the line.
The first train came to town on August 24, 1867. At the time, Wayzata was the end of the line for the St. Paul and Pacific Railroad, predecessor of the Great Northern. The first depot was located east of here, near . . . — Map (db m83078) HM|