HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Henry County Markers
Virginia (Henry County), Ridgeway — Z 220 — Henry County / North Carolina
Henry CountyLocated in the foothills of southern Virginia, Henry County is named for Patrick Henry (1736-1799), Revolutionary leader and governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Henry lived in the county from 1779 to 1784. The General Assembly formed the county from Pittsylvania County in 1776, effective 1 Jan. 1777. In 1790 Patrick County was formed from a portion of Henry County. During the late 1800s and early 1900s, the areaís tobacco industry flourished here and the countryís . . . — Map (db m58373) HM
Virginia (Henry County), Ridgeway — A-108 — Martinsville Speedway
H. Clay Earles (1913-1999) opened Martinsville Speedway in 1947 with seating for 750. The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) first raced here in 1948. Martinsville Speedway was one of eight tracks to host the inaugural 1949 season of NASCAR's Strictly Stock division, later called Winston Cup and then NEXTEL Cup racing. It is the only original NASCAR track still hosting the highest division as of 2007. It features a short .526-mile track and seats more than 68,000. Earle's . . . — Map (db m7741) HM
Virginia (Henry County), Ridgeway — A 57 — William Byrdís Camp
Near here, on Matrimony Creek, William Byrd pitched his camp, November, 1728, while determining the Virginia-North Carolina boundary line. — Map (db m58372) HM
Virginia (Henry County), Stanleytown — A 54 — Fort Trial
Fort Trial, constructed in 1756, once stood nearby overlooking the Smith River. It was one in a series of forts authorized by the General Assembly to be built on the frontier to protect settlers from Indians during the French and Indian War. The square fort was made of twenty-foot split timbers erected close together. Four feet of timber were buried in the earth and the walls were about sixteen feet high. George Washington visited Fort Trial in 1756. It was abandoned near the end of the . . . — Map (db m63197) HM
4 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 387 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.