HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Hidalgo County Markers
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Animas — Smugglers’ Trail
Smugglers once crossed this area with mule trains of contraband from Mexico, to be traded for merchandise in Arizona. In the summer of 1881, a group of Mexican smugglers was killed in Skeleton Canyon by members of the Clanton gang, including Old Man Clanton, Ike and Billy Clanton and Curly Bill. — Map (db m37770) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Animas — The Clanton Hideout
The infamous Clanton Gang had two crude dugouts here in the 1880s that served as hideouts and a base for wide-ranging outlaw activities, particularly in connection with the Curly Bill Gang’s depredations along the Smugglers’ Trail that passed by here. Old Man Clanton was ambushed below the border in revenge for a Skeleton Canyon massacre. — Map (db m37771) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Annimas — 7 — History of Treck Through MountainsU.S. Mormon Battalion Trail — Historical Landmark No. 7
On November 28, 1896 the Mormon Battalion of the U. S. Army West crossed these mountains near this summit enroute to California during the Mexican War. Col. Cooke had dispatched scouts ahead to find the best route. An Indian guide, Charonneau, while scouting ahead was attacked by three grizzly bears. He killed one bear which provided meat for the troops. Lt. Stoneman with 21 men could not find a suitable route down the mountain. They began cutting a road but the task was to laborious and . . . — Map (db m53012) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Lordsburg — Camp Lordsburg
Near this site the US Army operated a camp during World War II. It opened as an internment camp for the Japanese and Japanese-American civilians from 1942-43. It later reopened as the Lordsburg Prisoner of War Camp for Germans and Italians from 1943-45. This camp is one of the few sites in the US to house Japanese, Germans and Italians during its operations. — Map (db m60678) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Lordsburg — Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument
Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument was established in 1907 by Theodore Roosevelt to protect the prehistoric material culture of the Mogollon people and others who inhabited this area. The first scientific description of a pueblo ruin on the upper Gila River was written in 1874 by Henry Wetherbee Henshaw of the Wheeler Geographical Surveys of the Territories of the United States West of the 100th Meridian. — Map (db m38242) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Lordsburg — LordsburgPopulation 3,195 — Elevation 4,245
Lordsburg was founded in 1880 on the route of the Southern Pacific Railroad, near that used by the Butterfield Overland Mail Co., 1858-1861. It eventually absorbed most of the population of Shakespeare, a now-deserted mining town three miles south. — Map (db m38233) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Lordsburg — LordsburgElevation 4,245
Lordsburg was founded in 1880 on the route of the Southern Pacific Railroad, near that used by the Butterfield Overland Mail Co., 1858-1861. The town was named for Delbert Lord, an engineer with the railroad. In 1927, Charles Lindbergh landed his famed Spirit of St. Louis on Lordsburg. For years, the town catered to motorists traveling the Old Spanish Trail highway and later U.S. 60. — Map (db m38244) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Lordsburg — Shakespeare
Located at the north end of the Pyramid Mountains, near the old stage stop at Mexican Springs, Shakespeare was first known as Pyramid Station. Later named Ralston, a diamond swindle caused its collapse in 1874. The town was revived as Shakespeare in 1879, named for the Shakespeare silver mining company, but the economic depression of 1893 closed the mines and made it a ghost town. — Map (db m38243) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Lordsburg — The Women of Shakespeare
(Front): Emma Marble Muir (1873–1959) Rita Wells Hill (1901–1985) Janaloo Hill Hough (1939–2005) Emma Marble Muir arrived at the mining town of Shakespeare in 1882. She and her daughter, Rita Wells Muir, learned to appreciate and preserve the town's history. Rita and her husband bought Shakespeare as part of their ranch in 1935. Rita passed the ranch to her daughter, Janaloo Hill Hough. (Back of marker): Janaloo and her husband continued . . . — Map (db m38246) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Lordsburg — Yucca Plains / Yucca/ New Mexico's State Flower
Marker Front: Wide alluvial plains of Southwest New Mexico are feature of basin and range province with isolated fault block mountains scattered like islands from a sandy sea. Volcanic rocks form most of Cedar Mountains to south and Pyramid Mountains to west but Burro Mountains to northwest are mainly ancient granites. Elevation 4,560 feet. Marker Reverse: The Yucca is a member of the lily family. Its spring blossoms are pearly white. Early Indians used its tender shoots for . . . — Map (db m42271) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Playas — Playas Siding
In 1902, Phelps, Dodge and Company built the El Paso and Southwestern Railroad to link El Paso, Texas with the copper mines of Bisbee, Arizona, and eventually, with several other mining towns throughout the region. Highway 9, New Mexico’s “Border Route” between Columbus and Rodeo, parallels the old rail line, and actually utilizes a portion of the abandoned EP & SW railroad bed between Columbus and Anapra. — Map (db m37772) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Rodeo — Rodeo Intermediate Field Civil Aeronautics Authority # 57A
The intermediate field system, developed by the U.S. Department of Commerce, greatly increased safety in early commercial aviation. Rodeo Intermediate Field 57A was established in 1930 to enhance navigation for Standard Airlines -later TWA- from California to El Paso, and served as an army auxiliary field during WWII. Its building foundations, earthen air strips and red directional arrow pointing the way to El Paso still are visible today. — Map (db m62752) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Rodeo — Rodeo Station
The El Paso and Southwestern railroad was constructed in 1902 by Phelps, Dodge and Company, to link El Paso, Texas with the copper mines of Bisbee, Arizona. New Mexico Highway 9, the "Border Route", between Columbus and Rodeo, parallels the rail line, and actually utilizes a portion of the abandoned railroad bed. The Southern Pacific's "Golden State Limited" and "Californian" passenger trains passed through Rodeo until 1952. — Map (db m34856) HM
13 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 232 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.