|South Carolina (Horry County), Atlantic Beach — 26-16 — Atlantic Beach|
Atlantic Beach, nicknamed "The Black Pearl," was established about 1934 as an oceanfront community for blacks denied access to other area beaches by segregation. Many became year-round residents, but most spent their vacations here. From the 1930s to the 1970s "The Black Pearl" was one of the most popular beach resorts on the East Coast for blacks from Va. to Fla. Its hotels, nights-clubs, restaurants, shops, and pavilion were packed every May to September.
George Tyson was the first to . . . — Map (db m23511) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Aynor — 26-25 — Levister Elementary School|
|This school, built in 1953, was one of the many African-American schools built by the equalization program of Gov. James F. Byrnes, intended to preserve school segregation by building new schools for black children. Students in grades 1-7, who had previously attended the Allen, Cool Springs, Pleasant Hill, and Union Chapel schools, began the 1953-54 school year here. The last graduating class was the Class of 1969.
This school became the Aynor Elementary School Annex in 1974; it closed in . . . — Map (db m40276) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Cherry Grove Beach — 26-21 — Sonny’s Pavilion|
Sonny’s Pavilion, built in 1949 by N.F. “Sonny” Nixon, was an open-air pavilion on the Grand Strand. The rhythm & blues of the post-World War II era—later called beach music—was played on jukeboxes at area pavilions where dancers perfected the Shag, named the state dance in 1984. Beach music was named the state popular music in 2001. Nixon bought a small gazebo here and added a jukebox in 1947, then built a large pavilion here in 1949.
Ocean Drive had a strict . . . — Map (db m27329) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Conway — Benjamin Grier Collins|
|1845–1929 A pioneer who devoted his life to the religious and social welfare of his town and county. • A benefactor to rich and poor who gave wholeheartedly of his time and talents to the enrichment of his fellow man. • A staunch Christian gentleman, whose lofty ideals were an inspiration to those who knew him, and whose works are a monument to a life of service. • Truly one of God’s noblemen.
(reverse, faces street) Collins Memorial Park, 1930. This park was given by . . . — Map (db m848) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Conway — Centennial Time Capsule|
|December 9, 2003. A time capsule filled with historical documents and artifacts from the era are placed here. To be opened December 9, 2103. — Map (db m866) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Conway — 26-23 — Coastal Carolina University|
|[Front] Coastal Carolina University was founded in 1954 as Coastal Carolina Junior College, holding evening classes in Conway High School 1954-1963. Its first enrollment numbered 53 students. Originally sponsored by the College of Charleston 1954-1958, the junior college became a branch of the University of S.C. in 1960.
[Reverse] Coastal Carolina Junior College moved here in 1963 on the completion of its first building, later named for Edward M. Singleton, chancellor . . . — Map (db m36813) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Conway — 26-24 — Conway High School|
|Conway High School was located here from 1929 to 1979. A two-story brick Classical Revival building, its cornerstone was laid in 1928 and the building was completed in 1929. Classes began that fall. Coastal Carolina Junior College (now Coastal Carolina University), founded in 1954, held evening classes in Conway High School from 1954 to 1963. The Conway High Class of 1979 was the last to graduate from the 1929 building, which was demolished in 1988. — Map (db m36818) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Conway — 26-6 — First Methodist Church|
|Methodist Bishop Francis
Asbury’s many visits to
Kingston (Conway) between
1785 and 1815 preceded the organization of a Methodist congregation here. Land was
obtained in 1842 and the
first church building was
constructed here in 1844.
Still standing are the 1898
gothic-style and the 1910
mission-style buildings, The
church was renamed First Methodist in 1958 and the
current Georgian sanctuary
was completed in 1961. — Map (db m11259) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Conway — 26-7 — Kingston Church|
|A Presbyterian congregation
existed here in the village
of Kingston by 1756. Its
meetinghouse was on this
site but by 1795 the
congregation had apparently
disbanded. In 1855 a
proposal to reestablish
a Presbyterian church in the
town was favorably received,
and in 1857 an “Association”
for that purpose was
formed. In 1858 the present
house of worship was
erected and Kingston Church
was officially organized. — Map (db m11260) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Conway — 26-5 — Kingston-Conway / Robert Conway|
By 1733, Kingston Township
had been “marked out”
in this area, and by 1737
the town of Kingston was
in existence. Since many
landowners were non-residents, the township
did not flourish. In 1801,
the town was renamed
Conway had acquired
large landholdings in
the area, and in 1805
he conveyed some 223 acres
to the town. In 1883,
the town name was
changed to Conway.
Robert Conway came to this area from . . . — Map (db m11291) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Conway — 26-8 — Peter Horry / Horry County|
|Peter Horry. A planter of French Huguenot descent, Peter Horry (O-ree) was born in SC ca. 1747. A lieutenant colonel in the Revolution and later brigadier general in the SC Militia, he represented Prince George Winyah in the SC House and Senate. In 1801, Kingston County was renamed Horry District for Peter Horry. He died in 1815 and is buried at Trinity Episcopal Church in Columbia, SC.
Horry County. Originally part of colonial Craven County, Horry County has also been part of . . . — Map (db m11262) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Conway — The Wade Hampton Oak|
|On October 2, 1876, General Wade Hampton spoke here to the citizens of Horry County during his campaign for Governor of South Carolina. — Map (db m859) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Galivants Ferry — 26 11 — Galivants Ferry|
In 1792 Galivants Ferry was named for Richard Gallevan, owner of ferry rights for Elirsee's Landing on the Little Pee Dee River. The ferry was an important crossing on the road to Conwayborough, the county seat, later renamed Conway. "Evans Store" appears here in Robert Mills's Atlas of S.C. (1825). In 1869 Joseph William Holliday (1827-1904) opened a general store here.
By 1900 J.W. Holliday was one of the leading tobacco farmers in . . . — Map (db m35) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Galivants Ferry — 26 12 — Galivants Ferry Stump Meeting|
|The Galivants Ferry Stump Meeting, a Democratic Party tradition, has been held here in the spring every two years since 1880. Sponsored by the Holiday family, its origins are associated with Wade Hampton's 1876 appearance. Hampton, a former Confederate general, was elected governor later that year.
(Continued from other side)
Joseph William Holli day (1827-1904), prominent local merchant and tobacco farmer, invited local Democratic candidates to speak at his store in 1880. The public . . . — Map (db m23623) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Galivants Ferry — Holliday Highway|
|U.S. 501 – Galivants Ferry to Conway. Named in 1979 in honor of Joseph William Holliday, leader in Naval Stores Industry and Commissioner of Horry County (Elected 1870); born 1827–died 1904.
George Judson Holliday, Planter, Merchant, and State Senator (1903–1908); born 1875–died 1941; and other members of the family for their contributions to the civic, business, and political life of Horry County and South Carolina's Great Pee Dee Region. — Map (db m37946) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Grahamville — 26-9 — True Vine Missionary Baptist Church|
|This church was organized in 1894 by founders Antey Graham, Beney Graham, Samuel Graham, Will Hill, and Ben Wilson, and later became a member of the Kingston lake Association. The first sanctuary, a frame building, was build about 1913 and located near what is now S.C. Hwy. 90; it was later on Boroughs Road.
Rev. Patrick Dewitt, Rev. Solomon Chestnut, Rev. A. T. Graham, and Rev. H. H. Wilson were among the earliest pastors serving True Vine Missionary Baptist Church. In 1943 the old . . . — Map (db m847) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Green Sea — 26-10 — Green Sea Baptist Church|
|[Marker Front] This church, known as Honey Camp Baptist Church until 1924, was founded in 1807. It is the mother church to several Baptist churches in eastern S.C., including Spring Branch (1830), Pleasant View (1875), Mt. Zion (1887), Mt. Olive (1890), Dogwood (1896), Carolina (1902), and Grassy Bay (1905). It was first located a few miles southwest, near Honey Camp Swamp.
Admitted to the Cape Fear (N.C.) Association in 1822, then to the Waccamaw . . . — Map (db m26753) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Little River — 26-3 — Boundary House|
|During the colonial era the Boundary House, on the S.C.-N.C. line 1.3 mi. SE, was both a private residence and “public house.” In 1775 Isaac Marion (d. 1781), eldest brother of future partisan leader Gen. Francis Marion, lived there. On May 9, 1775, when Isaac Marion received news of the Battle of Lexington, Mass., he forwarded the dispatch to the Committee of Safety in Little River. — Map (db m5345) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Little River — 26-27 — Chestnut Consolidated School|
|Chestnut Consolidated Schools, which was located here 1954-1970, was built under the equalization program of Gov. James F. Byrnes, intended to preserve segregation by building new schools for blacks. Named to honor Horry County educator J.T. Chestnut (1885-1967), it educated African-American students in grades 1-12.
This school, consolidating schools in several northeastern Horry County communities, was a one-story brick building with two wings. After county schools desegregated in 1970, . . . — Map (db m52518) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Little River — 26-2 — George Whitefield|
|On Jan. 1, 1740, George Whitefield, a fiery disciple of Methodists John and Charles Wesley preached at a tavern near here. Observing patrons dancing, Whitefield exhorted them against that vice. Soon the dancers stopped and allowed Whitefield to baptize one of the children. After Whitefield had retired for the evening, the New Year’s spirit prevailed, and the dancing resumed. — Map (db m16373) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Little River — Rebecca Randall Bryan|
|In memory of Rebecca Randall Bryan. “On March 22, 1856, Thomas Randall conveyed to Abraham W. Bessent and John S. Thomas, trustees of the Baptist Church, this plot of ground, with title to exist for so long as it continued a location of the Baptist Church, with a sufficiency of time to rebuild or repair from age, fire, or storm. It is not known what the fate of the Baptist Church was, but it is known that on October 25, 1892, Martha E. Bryan, Thomas Randall’s daughter, deeded a lot on . . . — Map (db m16805) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Loris — 26-20 — Loris Training School|
Loris Training School, which stood here from 1928 to 1955, was the first school for black students in Loris and other nearby communities. Built at a cost of $4,700, it was one of more than 5000 schools in the South funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation between 1917 and 1932. William P. Johnson, Sr. (1910-2007), the first principal once it became a public school, led Loris Training School 1931-1941.
The Loris Training School . . . — Map (db m26754) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Murrells Inlet — 26-15 — St. James Rosenwald School|
St. James Rosenwald School, which stood here from the late 1920s until the early 1970s, was one of several African-American schools in Horry County funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation. Rev. Smart Small, Sr. (1891-1961), assisted by Eugene Beaty (1889-1958), Dave Carr (1886-1992), Henry Small (1897-1999), and Richard Small, Sr. (1893-1950) led fundraising efforts.
The school, built in 1928 or 1929, was a five-room frame . . . — Map (db m27331) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Fairchild A-10 Thunderbolt II|
|Battlefield tank-killer, heavily armored and built around a powerful 30 mm gun and its enormous munition drum. The large unswept wing, the two turbofan engines in pods on top of the fuselage, and twin tailfins are all designed to keep the A-10 flying after suffering serious damage. The cockpit is armored to resist 23 rounds.
The first production A-10A was delivered to Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, AZ., in October 1975. It was designed specially for the close air support mission and had the . . . — Map (db m23620) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — LTV A-7 Corsair II|
|The A-7 is a straightforward, shoulder-wing aircraft with swept flight surfaces, provision for inflight refueling, and narrow-track tricycle landing gear.
The A-7 is armed with a single M61A1 Vulcan 20-mm cannon, routinely carries two AIM-7L Sidewinder missiles on forward fuselage hardpoints, and can handle up to 15,000 ob of air-to-surface missiles, bombs, cluster bombs, rockets, or gun pods on six underwing ordnance stations.
The A-7D was adopted by the USAF in the late 1960s, its first . . . — Map (db m23621) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Morris Island Lighthouse — Folly Beach, SC|
|As early as 1673, there is a record of a light burning at what was then known as Charles Towne colony. On May 30, 1767, the cornerstone for a new light was laid on a group of three small islands then referred to as Middle Bay Island. The Charles Towne light was one of ten pre-Revolutionary War lights built in the colony.
In January 1790, the newly formed South Carolina legislature transferred the title to the newly formed United States Government. Within a year, the three islands had melded . . . — Map (db m16465) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — 26 19 — Myrtle Beach Army Air Field / Myrtle Beach Air Force Base|
| Myrtle Beach Army Air Field.
Myrtle Beach Army Air Field operated here 1940-47 and grew out of city plans to expand the municipal airport from two grass landing strips to a more permanent facility. In 1940-41 the U.S. Army Air Corps trained civilian pilots for the Civil Air Service; the War Department acquired the airport in late 1941.
Observation squadrons, an aviation squadron, and a fighter squadron trained here during World War II.
Myrtle Beach Air Force Base. . . . — Map (db m23506) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — 26 17 — Myrtle Beach Colored School|
Myrtle Beach Colored School stood here from the early 1930s to 2001. The first public school for African-American students in Myrtle Beach, it was a six-room frame building similar to the schools funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation 1917-1932. The school opened as early as 1932, with three teachers and 113 students in grades 1-7 for a four-month academic year from October to February.
During the 1930s and 1940s the school's . . . — Map (db m23510) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — 26-22 — Myrtle Beach Pavilions|
|A succession of four beach pavilions stood here or nearby from 1902 to 2006, all built by the Burroughs & Chapin Co. or the Myrtle Beach Farms Co. The first, built in 1902, was a simple oceanfront shelter. The second, built in 1907, was a frame building 1½ blocks from the beach. The third pavilion, a two-story frame building, was built here in 1923. An amusement park added in the 1930s grew to more than 11 acres.
The 1923 pavilion burned in 1944 and was replaced by a two-story . . . — Map (db m36810) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Nance Plaza|
|In honor of Daniel Wayne Nance and Mary Ellen Todd Nance for their significant contributions to Myrtle Beach’s early civic, business and religious growth.
A master builder, Daniel Wayne Nance was responsible for many downtown buildings near this plaza, as well as historic homes on North Ocean Boulevard and in the Withers Swash neighborhood. He served on the Committee that successfully sought incorporation for the city in the late 1930s. Together, the Nances raised 10 children and were . . . — Map (db m37989) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — The F - 100D at MBAFB, 1956 - 1970|
|On 19 November 1956, after more than 10 years of inactive status, the 354 Fighter Group was reactivated at Myrtle Beach AFB. The first maintenance training aircraft was flown in on 7 December 1956 by the Fighter Day Wing Commander, Colonel Francis S. Gabreski; the first operational F-100D was flown in on 5 February 1957 by the Fighter Day Group Commander, Colonel James F. Hackler.
Upon becoming operational in the F-100D, the 354 Tactical Fighter Wing (redesignated 1 July 1958) deployed units . . . — Map (db m23622) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — 26-1 — Washington’s Southern Tour|
|On April 27, 1791, President George Washington spent the night nearby at the indigo plantation of Jeremiah Vereen. He wrote in his diary that he was “entertained (& very kindly) without being able to make compensation.” The next day Vereen guided Washington across Lewis Swash (now Singleton Swash) and onto the strand at Long Bay (now Myrtle Beach). — Map (db m27332) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — William Bartram Trail — Traced 1773–1777 — South Atlantic Region|
|In 1776, naturalist William Bartram traveled through this area, noting the “cliffs of rocks” now known as Hurl Rocks. — Map (db m852) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), North Myrtle Beach — 26-4 — Fort Randall|
|Located about 5 miles E. of here, this Confederate fort included a blockhouse pierced for musketry and earthworks surrounded by a ditch about 10 ft. broad and 5 ft. deep. The fort was captured Jan 1863 by U.S. Navy Lt. Wm. B. Cushing and twenty-five men while looking for blockage-runner pilots. Cushing held the fort briefly until his supply of ammunition was exhausted. — Map (db m849) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), North Myrtle Beach — 26-18 — Roberts Pavilion / Ocean Drive Pavilion|
|Roberts Pavilion 1936–1954The Roberts Pavilion, built in 1936 by William Roberts, was an early open-air oceanfront pavilion on the Grand Strand. The rhythm & blues of the post-World War II ear—later called beach music—was played on jukeboxes here and at other popular pavilions on the beach. At these pavilions dancers perfected the Shag, named the state dance in 1984. Beach music was named the state popular music in 2001.
Ocean Drive PavilionRoberts Pavilion was one . . . — Map (db m11257) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Socastee — Intra-Coastal Waterway — Little River to Winyah Bay, S.C.|
|The last section of a continuous inside passage along the eastern coast of the United States begun December 19, 1932. Completed April 3, 1936.
United States Corps of Engineers, W.G. Caples, Colonel, U.S.A. • Standard Dredging Co., Contractor; T.P. Pearson, Supt. — Map (db m853) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Socastee — 26-13 — Socastee|
|Socastee is a Native American name referred to as “Sawkastee” in a 1711 land grant to Percival Pawley. A skirmish between small forces of American and British troops occurred near Socastee Creek in 1781. By the 1870s, the Socastee community was a significant center for the production and distribution of naval stores such as turpentine and tar.
This area included a saw mill, turpentine distilleries, cotton gin, grist mill, cooper shop, and general store, and was also a gateway . . . — Map (db m855) HM|
|South Carolina (Horry County), Socastee — 26-14 — Socastee Methodist Church|
|This church, originating with services held in a brush arbor, was formally organized by 1818. Its first sanctuary, a log building, was built here soon afterwards on land donated by Philip Elkes. The cemetery, dating from the 19th century, includes the plots of the Clardy, Cooper, Elkes, Hucks, Macklen, Outlaw, Sarvis, Stalvey, and other early church families.
The second sanctuary, a frame building featuring a large portico and square columns, was built in 1875 by W.T. Goldfinch of Conway. . . . — Map (db m9982) HM|