HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Hudson County Markers
New Jersey (Hudson County), Bayonne — Bayonne Terrorist Victims
In remembrance of the Bayonne residents who lost their lives in the terrorist attacks on our country on February 26, 1993 and September 11, 2001. Dedicated by the September 11th “Bayonne Remembers” Committee – September 11,2007 — Map (db m53037) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Bayonne — Bergen Neck Fort
Built by Americans, 1776, at the site of Bayonne. Occupied 1777 – 82 by Loyalist forces, who named it Fort Delancey. — Map (db m7698) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Bayonne — First Federated Church
First Refd. Dutch Church Orgend. 1828 Erecd. 1866 First Federated Church Bayonne’s Oldest Church – 1866 and its oldest Congregation: Dutch Reformed Church (1828) Merged in 1952 with Third Reformed Church and Christ Presbyterian Forming First Federated Church. Placed on State (1981) and National (1982) Registers of Historic Places. — Map (db m54634) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Bayonne — Mercer Park
Named to memorialize the presence of the Patriot Army under General Hugh Mercer in 1776 in this vicinity. •     •     • Presented by The Bayonne Historical Society 1953 — Map (db m63614) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Bayonne — Monument to the Struggle Against World Terrorism
Gift From the people of Russia President Vladimir Putin Artist Zurab Tsereteli — Map (db m53039) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Bayonne — Port Jersey Peninsula Preserve
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey has established preserved areas within the Port Jersey Peninsula to protect and maintain fragile wetlands and wildlife, and provide a waterfront which can be enjoyed by all. From here you can see some of the greatest landmarks this area has to offer. If you stand facing Manhattan, you will be enjoying a view of the World Financial Center, and beyond it, the Empire State Building. The Statue of Liberty can be seen to your left, as well as the red . . . — Map (db m53043) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Bayonne — Stephen R. Gregg / Bayonne Park
Lt. Stephen R. Gregg U. S. Army – 143rd Infantry, 36th Infantry Division Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient For his role in Action on August 27, 1944 Near Montelimar, France — Map (db m54637) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Bayonne — Tear of Grief
Gift from the people of Russia President Vladimir Putin This site will be a home for the monument to the struggle against world terrorism Artist Zurab Tsereteli — Map (db m53040) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Bayonne — U.S.S. Maine Memorial
In Memoriam U.S.S. Maine Destroyed in Havana Harbor February 15th 1898 This tablet is cast from metal recovered from the U.S.S. Maine — Map (db m54632) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Bayonne — Volunteers of the Army and Navy
To the Volunteers of the Army and Navy of the United States whose heroic patriotism has helped to make our Republic what it is to-day. Erected MCMXIV — Map (db m54636) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Hoboken — 77 River Street
This site was once close to the geological edge of the Hudson River. This building, CIRCA 1889, close to major transportation was once Hoboken's largest commercial structure. Built as the Second National Bank, it housed a variety of uses, most notably the Hoboken Post Office, Library, Garibaldi Real Estate and Insurance Company and the Hudson Opera Association. Envisioned as condominiums by the Elysian Federal Bank through replication two and one-half stories were added creating living space . . . — Map (db m6881) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Hoboken — Baseball
On June 19, 1846, the first match game of baseball was played here on the Elysian Fields between the Knickerbockers and the New Yorks. It is generally conceded that until this time, the game was not seriously regarded. — Map (db m6878) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Hoboken — Civil War MonumentHoboken
Dedicated May 30th - 1888 – Committee – E.A. Stevens – G.A. Seide James A. Greyer – Theophilus Butts James Benson – B.F. Hart F.W. Schroeder – John Eckstein Erected By the citizens of Hoboken In memory of their fallen heroes 1861 – 1965 — Map (db m6791) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Hoboken — Elysian FieldsNew York’s First Central Park
Fast, reliable ferry service run by the Stevens family brought New Yorkers to Hoboken in droves. To attract riders, the Stevens' turned the waterfront into a semi-public park. They opened paths, pavilions, and breath-taking views, and named it Elysian Fields, after the paradise of ancient mythology. It opened with fanfare on July 11, 1831. The park stretched from this site to Weehawken Cove. Sports games, rides, and outdoor events gave people reasons to return. Tens of thousands packed the park . . . — Map (db m6883) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Hoboken — Francis Albert Sinatra BirthplaceThe Voice
Francis Albert Sinatra The Voice Born here At 415 Monroe Street December 12, 1915 — Map (db m6788) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Hoboken — Hudson River Bridge Cornerstone
The North River Bridge Co. Ground broken June 8th, 1895 First foundation masonry laid June 18th, 1895 — Map (db m6945) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Hoboken — Maxwell House Coffee PlantFrom Field to Factory in Hoboken
The Maxwell House Coffee Plant stretched along Hoboken's waterfront from Tenth to Twelfth Streets. It was a marvel of its time, the largest coffee processing plant in the world, and a local landmark. Before the plant was built in 1938-39, part of the site included key Hoboken landmarks. Among these were Turtle Cove and The Colonnade Pavilion, marking the entrance to Elysian Fields, a vast park and popular attraction. The first New York Yacht Club clubhouse was built here. The site is also regarded as the birthplace of modern baseball. — Map (db m6880) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Hoboken — New York Yacht ClubHome of the America’s Cup
John Cox Stevens, an outgoing member of Hoboken's founding family and avid boater, organized the New York Yacht Club (NYYC) on July 30, 1844, and served as its first Commodore. He built the first clubhouse on this site at the foot of Tenth Street. Renowned architect A.J. Davis may have designed the Gothic-style cottage. NYYC meetings and its annual regatta took place here from 1845 to 1865. Stevens also built the yacht America and sailed it to England to race and win the first "America's . . . — Map (db m6882) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Hoboken — Sergeant William Fesken Memorial Field
In memory of SGT William Fesken Killed in action, Vietnam May 2, 1967 And dedicated to all Those who sacrificed their lives In the Vietnam Conflict so that Our country might live — Map (db m6790) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Hoboken — Stephen Foster House
Stephen Collins Foster composer of “Old Folks at Home” and other immortal songs lived in this house during the year 1854. It was while living here that “Jeanie With the Light Brown Hair” was published June 5, 1854. This is the only house standing today in which Stephen Foster is known to have lived. — Map (db m7252) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Hoboken — Stevens Institute of Technology
This land was a part of the Island of Hoboken which was deeded on Feb. 15, 1663 by Peter Stuyvesant, Governor of Nieuw Amsterdam, for the benefit of his sister Anna, Widow of Samuel Bayard of Amsterdam. In 1784, these 564 acres belonging to William Bayard, her great, great grandson, were declared forfeit because he had "joined the Army of the King of Great Britian," they were bought at public auction for £18,360 by Colonel John Stevens "Treasurer on Horseback" of the State of New Jersey . . . — Map (db m6860) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Hoboken — The Hudson School
On this site stood the Martha Institute from 1866-1999. Built on land donated by Hoboken philanthropist Martha Bayard Stevens and named in her honor, the Martha Institute served as home to Hoboken's first German-American school, the Manual Trade School, Hoboken's first public high school, the Stevens Academy, andthe Normal School, a teacher training institute. Inspired by the architecture of the Martha Institute, the present building was designed by Ehrenrantz, Eckstut and Kuhn and built by . . . — Map (db m6879) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Hoboken — World War II MemorialIn Honor of the Hoboken Residents Who Gave Their Lives for Freedom
Dedicated to those 153 Hoboken residents Who made the ultimate sacrifice through Seflfess acts of bravery, courage, And loyalty to our great country And the principles of democracy. Mayor David Roberts James J Farina, City Clerk Hoboken City Council: Theresa Castellano, President A. Nono Giacchi, Vice-President Peter J. Cammarano Terry la Bruno Ruben Ramos Elizabeth Mason Michael Russo Peter Cunningham Hoboken World War II Memorial Fund Committee: Mayor . . . — Map (db m6786) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — “Mother of Exiles”
Between 1886 and 1924, 14 million immigrants entered America through New York. The Statue of Liberty was a reassuring sign that they had arrived in the land of their dreams. To these anxious newcomers, the Statue’s uplifted torch did not suggest “enlightenment,” as her creators intended, but rather, “welcome.” Over time, the Statue of Liberty emerged as Emma Lazarus’ “Mother of Exiles,” a symbol of hope to generations of immigrants. — Map (db m49321) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — “The New Colossus”
In 1883, a young writer, Emma Lazarus, donated a poem to an auction raising funds for the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty. “The New Colossus” vividly depicted the Statue of Liberty as offering refuge from the miseries of Europe. The sonnet received little attention at the time, but in 1903 was engraved on a bronze plaque and affixed to the base of the Statue. Still, it was only in the late 1930’s, when millions fled fascism, that the poem became fully identified with the Statue. . . . — Map (db m49325) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Alexandre Gustave Eiffel( 1832 – 1923 )
The iron skeleton which supports the Statue was designed by this noted French engineer and bridge builder. He later designed and built the Eiffel Tower for the Paris World’s Fair of 1889. Dedicated by Mr. and Mrs. Marvin Kay Philip Rathner – Sculptor — Map (db m49813) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — An Gorta Mor
In Memoriam of the Irish Famine An Gorta Mor   1845 – 1852 For those lives claimed by it and the Irish Immigrants that survived and relocated to the United States. Erected By The Friendly Sons of St. Patrick Hudson County, N.J. [ Back of Monument: ] Dedicated to the sacred memory of thousands of Irish who, in order to preserve their faith, suffered famine and exile. The potato blight in Ireland was exasperated by a cruel, non-caring and inept foreign government. As a . . . — Map (db m42404) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Bartholdi
Born in Colmar, France in 1834, Frederic Auguste Bartholdi was one of the most celebrated sculptors of the nineteenth century. He is most famous for creating the Statue of Liberty which was dedicated in 1886. In his fifty-two years as an artist, he created approximately one hundred works of art. He died on October 4, 1904 of tuberculosis and is buried in Montparnasse Cemetery in Paris, France. — Map (db m49314) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Blakeslee Route
In honor of George E. Blakeslee Pioneer of the modern highway [ Rear Marker : ] Blakeslee rededicated September 2005 by The Friends of the Marion Section Patrick J. O’Melia Hassan Abubakr • Tessie Brady • Sam C. Difeo • Mary Donnelly • Colin Egan • Dean S. Geibel • Robert & Florence Hawks • Jerramiah T. Healy • Louis M. Manzo • Bill O’Dea • Joseph & Rita Pane • Joseph A. Panepinto, Esq. • L. Harvey Smith • Recycling Specialists Burns Bros. Memorials Glenn D. Cunningham 1943 . . . — Map (db m51534) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Building the Statue of Liberty
The French sculptor, Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi designed the Statue of Liberty as a giant three-dimensional jigsaw puzzle. Over 300 thin sheets of copper, most of it from a copper mine in Karmoy, Norway, fit together to form the Statue’s outer skin. Each copper sheet is 3/32 of an inch thick, about the thickness of two coins. The sheets were shaped in France using the ancient repoussé method in which the metal is hammered and shaped within large wooden and plaster molds. The finished . . . — Map (db m49285) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Central Railroad of NJ Employees
New Jersey Central Jersey Central Lines Honoring the employees of the Central Railroad of New Jersey 1849 – 1976 Dedicated by the Central Railroad of New Jersey Veteran Employees Association — Map (db m51512) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Changes in the LandLiberty State Park
Prior to 1860, the area surrounding you was mostly brackish waters, salt marshes and mudflats of a tidal estuary. Known to the native Lenape as Communipaw Cove, these wetlands were a rich source of fish, waterfowl and shellfish. Early Dutch and English settlers also relied upon this vast wealth of marine resources for their survival. In the later half of the 19th century, the rise of the railroads resulted in dramatic changes to this landscape. In order to run tracks to parts of the . . . — Map (db m49794) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Changes in the Land
The land we know as Liberty State Park has undergone many changes. Known to the Lenape Indians as Communipaw Cove, it was a place of saltmarshes and oysters. Later Dutch and English settlers harvested salt hay for their livestock. To native people and early settlers, the saltmarsh provided resources necessary for survival. The 19th century brought many changes. The area became a vital transportation hub. The railroads needed access to deep water shipping lanes and gradually filled the shallow . . . — Map (db m69423) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Communipaw and Lafayette
Henry Hudson’s “Half Moon” anchored off Communipaw in 1609. In 1633 the Dutch West India Company built the first house occupied by “John the Laugher.” A small colony of Dutch houses and farms developed along the shore where water extended up to Phillip Street by the Liberty Science Center. In 1660 the first road connected the isolated hamlets of Communipaw with Bergen. In 1661 the first ferry to Manhattan was established. In the early 19th century Washington Irving . . . — Map (db m42415) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Copper for the Statue of Liberty
This stone from the mine that produced the copper in the Statue of Liberty was brought with the sailing ship "Sorlandet" as a gift to the United States of America from the citizens of Karmov, Norway. July 4, 1986 — Map (db m42185) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Delaware Indian Burials
Delaware             Stockbridge Munsee Tribe of Indians   Band of Mohican Indians Delaware Nation Delaware Indian Burials Uncovered on Ellis and Liberty Islands Re-interred May 1, 2003 — Map (db m49281) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Edouard Rene De Laboulaye(1811 – 1883)
He conceived this monument, showing the love of Liberty shared by France and America. This statue would be a gift from a people to a people. It was intended for the 1876 Centennial, but was delayed until 1876. De Laboulaye never saw his dream realized. Dedicated by Mr. and Mrs. Ronald Cohen Philip Rathner – Sculptor — Map (db m49811) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Emma Lazarus
Emma Lazarus was born into a prominent fourth generation Jewish family, one of the oldest in New York City, on July 22, 1849. Her father recognized Emma’s talent for writing at an early age and encouraged her work. In 1866, when Emma was seventeen, he privately published her first book, Poems and Translations Written Between the Ages of Fourteen and Seventeen. Emma Lazarus would not live long enough to experience the full impact of her poem. She died in 1887 and it was not until 1903 . . . — Map (db m49322) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Emma Lazarus(1849 – 1887)
In 1883 this American poet and essayist wrote “The New Colossus” to aid the Pedestal Fund Campaign. Twenty years later her sonnet was cast in bronze and placed inside the Statue’s pedestal. “Give me your tired, your poor, . . ” Donated by Mr. and Mrs. Jerome Rogoway Philip Rathner – Sculptor — Map (db m49815) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Empty Sky: New JerseySeptember 11th Memorial
On the morning of September 11, 2001, with the skies so clear that the Twin Towers across the river appeared to be within reach, the very essence of what our country stands for - freedom, tolerance, and the pursuit of happiness – was attacked. This memorial is dedicated to New Jersey’s innocent loved ones who were violently and senselessly murdered that day at the World Trade Center, The Pentagon, and in Shanksville, PA. [ Right Marker : ] Let this memorial reflect the . . . — Map (db m49789) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Explosion at Liberty!
On July 30, 1916, the Black Tom munitions depot exploded, rocking New York Harbor and sending sleeping residents tumbling from their beds. The noise of the explosion was heard as far away as Maryland and Connecticut. On Ellis Island, terrified immigrants were evacuated by ferry to the Battery. Shrapnel pierced the Statue of Liberty (the arm of the Statue was closed to visitors after this). Property damage was estimated at $20 million. It is not known how many died. Why the explosion? . . . — Map (db m6148) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Farrier Memorial
to the Volunteer Fireman of Jersey City Erected through the bequest of Capt. Frederick T. Farrier as a token of the friendship and esteem in which he held his former associates in the Volunteer Fire Department. Edwin M. Farrier 1931                 Executor — Map (db m42413) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Fort Gibson: Ammunition to Immigration
In the decades following the War of 1812, Fort Gibson continued to be used as a military installation. Large magazines were built to store explosive black powder, which was too unstable to be kept at the Navy Yard in Brooklyn. During the Civil War, the fort’s importance in guarding the approaches to New York Harbor again became critical. Twelve new cannons were installed and 120 army and navy personnel were garrisoned here. After the war, stories about the 10,000 pounds of explosive powder . . . — Map (db m49335) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Fort Gibson: Defending the Approaches
The fort that stood here on Ellis Island was part of two defensive triangles which made it almost impossible for enemy ships to approach New York City. Any ship entering the upper harbor first had to pass the guns of Fort Wood on Liberty Island and then pass through the crossfire from Fort Gibson on the west and from Castle Williams on Governor’s Island to the east. In the unlikely event that a ship was able to slip through this gauntlet, it would then face an even greater challenge – . . . — Map (db m49310) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Fort Gibson: Oyster Banks to Batteries
The earliest fort on this site was built in 1794. Great Britain’s navy had been seizing American merchant ships and forcing their sailors into service on British vessels. Congress decided that the nation’s most important harbors should be defended in case war broke between Great Britain and the United States. Charles Vincent, a French engineer, was hired to construct defenses in New York Harbor. He chose tiny Oyster Island (as Ellis Island was then called), known only for its oyster banks, . . . — Map (db m49336) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Fort Gibson: The New York Harbor System
Fort Gibson was among 40 forts constructed between 1794 and 1812 in the United States. All were built during threats of war resulting from attacks on American shipping by Great Britain and France, two dominant powers of the 18th and 19th centuries. These forts were the first defense systems set up by the new United States Government. Many of the forts in New York Harbor were constructed in this period, including Castle Williams on Governor’s Island, Castle Clinton in lower Manhattan, and the . . . — Map (db m49311) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Fort Gibson: The Other Ellis Island Story
The stones you see here reveal yet another layer of the story of Ellis Island. This is the story of Fort Gibson, one of the earliest forts built after the American Revolution to protect New York Harbor. Discovered during the excavations for the American Immigrant Wall of Honor, these remains of the walls of Fort Gibson bear witness to the nearly 100 years when Ellis Island was used to ward off enemies rather than to welcome immigrants. Two forts stood on the site. The first was a . . . — Map (db m49298) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Fort Gibson: Uncovering the Past
If you were standing here in 1812, you would be looking at the exterior wall of Fort Gibson, which was five and a half feet thick and sixteen feet high. What you see now are the remains of that wall’s lower half. These remains, which continue seven feet into the ground, have been buried by the massive amounts of landfill that were used to expand Ellis Island. The outer fort wall was supported by stone buttresses backed by mounded earth and a second wall. You can still see the remains of the . . . — Map (db m49299) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Fort Wood
The Statue of Liberty’s pedestal sits atop the remains of Fort Wood, originally one link in a chain of defenses protecting New York City and its vital harbor. The fort was built between 1808 and 1811 in the shape of an eleven-pointed star and was occupied by the War Department as an army post until 1937. The eleven-pointed star design was brought to North America by French military engineers in the 17th century. The fort acted as a lookout position with harbor guns entrenched near the shore. . . . — Map (db m49283) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Frederic Auguste Bartholdi(1834 – 1904)
A French sculptor and friend of De Laboulaye, he created the Statue of “Liberty Enlightening the World” and selected its site. Inspired by his first view of New York Harbor, Bartholdi later wrote “The Statue was born for this place which inspired its conception”. A gift from Ed and Rhona Libov to the city we love Philip Rathner – Sculptor — Map (db m49812) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Immigrant Processing in New York
Prior to 1855, immigrants arriving at the port of New York were free to enter the United States if their vessel was checked and cleared for all “loathsome and contagious diseases.” Between 1855 and 1890, approximately 8 million new immigrants traveling through the Port of New York were formally processed at Castle Garden in Battery Park by New York State immigration officials. After 1890, the Federal government assumed responsibility for processing immigrants. All third class and . . . — Map (db m49300) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Inside the Statue
Frédéric-Auguste Bartholdi chose to build the Statue of Liberty out of copper – a lightweight metal – critical for such a large work. In order to fashion the metal, the sculptor had to first make full size sections of the Statue out of plaster. For each section, carpenters built a wooden form that duplicated the plaster shape. Thin copper sheets were placed on the backside of these forms and then hammered into shape by artisans, a technique called Repoussé. The Statue’s immense . . . — Map (db m49319) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Jack Roosevelt Robinson
“A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.” Jack Roosevelt Robinson 1919–1972 Jack Roosevelt Robinson, the first African-American to break the color barrier in Major League Baseball, played in his first minor league game in Jersey City, New Jersey. This statue, sculpted by Susan Wagner, commemorates that historic event. Dedicated Wednesday, February 25, 1998 Rachel Robinson, Founder, Jackie Robinson Foundation Leonard . . . — Map (db m6101) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Jane Tuers
This marks the site of the home of Jane Tuers a heroine of the American Revolution Presented by Jane Tuers Cociety C.A.R. 1925 — Map (db m63612) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Jersey City Civil War Memorial
In memory of the Soldiers of Jersey City who fought in the War of the Rebellion. [ Back of Monument: ] This monument is erected by the executor of the estate of the late Edward J. Donnelly, Sergt. Co. C, 5th N.J. Volunteers and a committee appointed by the city commissioners. — Map (db m42406) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Joseph Pulitzer(1847 – 1911 )
As publisher of the New York World newspaper, this Hungarian immigrant conducted the editorial crusade that popularized the American Pedestal Fund Campaign. His last will and testament established the Pulitzer prizes for achievement in journalism, literature, music and art. The Bender Foundation for the Bender Family Howard and Sondra Bender Philip Rathner – Sculptor — Map (db m49814) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Liberation
Dedicated to America’s role of preserving freedom and rescuing the oppressed, this monument, by Natan Rapoport, of an American soldier carrying a World War II concentration camp survivor was gifted to the State of New Jersey through the generosity of thousands of people of good will. May 30, 1985. Liberty Park Monument Committee — Map (db m13295) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Liberty’s Symbols
The Statue of Liberty conveys its message of freedom through a number of dramatic symbols. The broken shackles at her feet signify escape from tyranny. In her left arm, she holds a tablet of law inscribed in Roman numerals the date of the American Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776. Her crown’s seven rays suggest the seven seas and seven continents. Most significant of all, however, her torch and flame symbolize truth and justice enlightening the world. Perhaps no poem brings these . . . — Map (db m49290) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Lincoln Park
Hudson County’s great public work of the 1890’s was Hudson (now Kennedy) Boulevard, a 20-mile landscaped roadway running through the county. Construction caused the demolition or relocation of many buildings and was completed in 1895. The road marked the Bergen section as the most desirable in Jersey City. Elaborate homes faced the boulevard and side streets. Beginning in 1905 Hudson County’s Park Commission began to turn Glendale Woods and surrounding area, an unsightly swamp, into the 208 . . . — Map (db m42419) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Morris Pesin’s Legendary Canoe Trip Which Launched Liberty State Park
On the foggy, drizzly morning of June 13, 1958, Morris Pesin (1911-1992) made his historic 8 minute canoe trip to the Statue of Liberty with a Jersey Journal reporter to dramatize the close proximity of the Jersey City shoreline to Ms. Liberty. The newspaper story focused public attention on his ideas of public access from New Jersey to the Statue and of an open space family park rising up from the waterfront wasteland of decaying piers and abandoned railroad yards. Morris repeated the . . . — Map (db m13294) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Mystic Lincoln
Sculptor   James Earle Frazer Erected in 1930 by the Lincoln Association of Jersey City with contributions from the school children of Jersey City. Rededicated February 12, 2005 75th Anniversary [ Pedestal Inscription: ] Lincoln MDCCCIX • MDCCCLXV [ Left Wing: ] That government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth. [ Right Wing: ] Let us have faith that right makes might and in that faith let us to the end dare to . . . — Map (db m42408) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — New York Sculptures
The French government commissioned Bartholdi to create a sculpture of the Marquis de Lafayette as a gift to America for its support during the Franco-Prussian War. The sculpture shows Lafayette offering his heart and his sword to the colonists fighting in the American Revolution. Bartholdi’s sculpture of Lafayette was unveiled in Union Square, New York City on September 6, 1876. A four-hour multinational parade was held as part of the celebration. Joseph Pulitzer, publisher of the “New . . . — Map (db m49317) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Newkirk House
Jersey City’s oldest building, the Newkirk House was erected circa 1690 a few blocks northeast of the nearby Dutch settlement of Bergen Square (1660). Occupied for two centuries by the Newkirk family, the sandstone structure was sold by descendants in 1889 and moved and altered in 1928 for the widening of Summit Avenue. The Newkirk House stands as a rare reminder of Jersey City’s primordial Dutch heritage. — Map (db m63613) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — NewportJersey City
Southeast of this spot, the Half Moon anchored Sept. 11- 12, 1609. Here, the community of Pavonia was established Jan. 10, 1630. Washington made this area the keystone of the campaign, 1776. Ham- ilton and his friends planned the city Feb. 22, 1804. — Map (db m35586) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Old Bergen Church
The Old Bergen Church, a Dutch Reformed Church, is a classic blending of Greek Revival details and form, with New Jersey Dutch influences. Originally founded in 1662 at Bergen Avenue and Vroom Street, the church has undergone two rebuildings on this site, in 1773 and 1842, using many of the original stones. Robert C. Janiszewski, County Executive Hudson County Board of Chosen Freeholders Map (db m6137) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Paulus Hook
Washington’s “Flying Camp” here in 1776. Later fort held by British during entire war despite American attacks. — Map (db m7697) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Rt. Rev. Msgr. Roger A. McGinleyPriest and Patriot
In grateful memory of Right Reverend Monsignor Roger A. McGinley Priest and Patriot who by teaching and example raised the level of citizenship in our city, and by founding Saint Aedan’s Parish in 1912, serving as its pastor for twenty-four years, and erecting magnificent parochial buildings, enhanced the dignity and beauty of the neighborhood, this section has been designated by the commissioners of Jersey City as McGinley Square — Map (db m35589) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Statue Facts
Height from base to torch           151’ 1”       (46.50m) Pedestal foundation to torch       305’ 1”       (92.99m) Length of hand                            16’ 5”        (5.00m) Index finger                                 8’ 0”          (2.44m) Size of fingernail                         13” x 10”   (.33x.25m) Head from chin to cranium         17’ 3”        (5.26m) Head width from ear to ear         10’ 0”        (3.05m) Distance across eye   . . . — Map (db m49332) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Symbolism
“In all ages, the achievements of man and his aspirations have been represented by symbols” noted an official at the dedication of the Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor more than 100 years ago. Although unaware at the time of the importance of his words, the speaker proved prophetic. Frédéric-Auguste Bartholdi’s monument took the form of a colossal statue of a woman dressed in classical Roman clothing, symbolizing the Roman goddess of Liberty. She wears a crown of seven rays . . . — Map (db m49320) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — The American Immigrant Wall of Honor ®
The American Immigrant Wall of Honor ® celebrates the peopling of America. The names of individuals and families are inscribed on the wall for posterity as gifts of remembrance through donations made to restore and maintain Ellis Island. The circular wall contains over 500,000 names. It measures 262 feet across and 664 feet in length. The straight wall contains 56,000 names and is 213 feet in length. There are three separate alphabetical listings: those names registered before 1993, on . . . — Map (db m49816) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — The American Immigrant Wall of Honor ®
The American Immigrant Wall of Honor ® celebrates the peopling of America. The names of individuals and families are inscribed on the wall for posterity as gifts of remembrance through donations made to restore and maintain Ellis Island. The circular wall contains over 500,000 names. It measures 262 feet across and 664 feet in length. The straight wall contains 56,000 names and is 213 feet in length. There are three separate alphabetical listings: those names registered before 1993, on . . . — Map (db m49817) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — The Bridge of Nations
A bridge to a new world founded by the imagination of a dreamer Forged with courage ~ Traversed by Greatness an everlasting connection between our nations Italy and America ~ Brethren forever together may we sail           - Joseph C. DeFilippi — Map (db m51513) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — The Central Railroad of New Jersey (CRRNJ) TerminalFerry Houses: Connecting People, Boats and Trains
From 1864 until 1967: the Central Railroad of New Jersey (CRRNJ) Terminal provided a vital link between the New Jersey and New York City shores. At its busiest, more than 200 ferry sailings transported tens of thousands of commuters and thousands of immigrants over the New York Harbor waters every day. In 1889, the CRRNJ built a single-story wooden ferry house, providing a functional and protective link for passengers walking between the ferry boats and the main building. This ferry house . . . — Map (db m13300) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — The Central Railroad of New Jersey (CRRNJ) TerminalEmigrant (Immigrant) Waiting Room
After passing the Statue of Liberty and being processed at Ellis Island, where did the new Americans go? Once declared “clearly and beyond a doubt, entitled to land” almost two-thirds of the immigrants processed at Ellis Island bought train tickets from the Central Railroad of New Jersey (CRRNJ) ticket office on the island. They then boarded ferries which brought them here to the CRRNJ Terminal in Jersey City. Upon arrival at the CRRNJ Terminal, the immigrants awaited their . . . — Map (db m49339) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — The Central Railroad of New Jersey Terminal
This terminal was completed in June, 1889 and became fully operational on October 6, 1889. For almost 80 years it served as the main passenger terminal for the Central Railroad Company of New Jersey at this strategic Jersey City waterfront location. The terminal is the second to be located here. The first was a wooden structure which opened July 29, 1864 when the railroad was completed between Elizabethport and Jersey City, following the construction of a bridge across NewarkBay. Prior to the . . . — Map (db m13290) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — The Historic Trilogy
The term “Historic Trilogy” is used to represent the role the Central Railroad of New Jersey (CRRNJ) Terminal, Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty played in American history. It was these three historic structures that greeted most of the immigrants arriving to the New York Harbor area during the wave of immigration of the 19th and early 20th centuries. The Statue of Liberty, dedicated in 1886, was a gift from the people of France to the people of the United States. Its . . . — Map (db m49344) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — The Historic Trilogy
The term “Historic Trilogy” is used to represent the role the Central Railroad of New Jersey (CRRNJ) Terminal, Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty played in American history. It was these three historic structures that greeted most of the immigrants arriving to the New York Harbor area during the wave of immigration of the 19th and early 20th centuries. The Statue of Liberty, dedicated in 1886, was a gift from the people of France to the people of the United States. Its . . . — Map (db m69419) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — The Manhattan Skyline
In 1886, the Statue of Liberty standing on her pedestal, stood taller than any other structure in New York City. At 305 feet, 1 inch (92.99 meters), it exceeded even the Brooklyn Bridge, which had been completed three years earlier. However, the Statue was soon surpassed in height by the forest of tall buildings which today gives Manhattan its world-famous skyline. — Map (db m49308) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — The New Colossus
The Statue of Liberty was the first statue designed by Bartholdi to be completed. Earlier, in the 1850s, while traveling in Egypt, the Nubia and Ethiopia, he designed an immense lighthouse for the opening of the Suez Canal in Egypt, but the design was not accepted. After the Statue of Liberty was dedicated in 1886, Bartholdi also completed a thirty-six foot high sculpture of a lion in Belfort, France. This sculpture commemorates the defense of the town of Belfort, during the Franco-Prussian War (1870-1871). — Map (db m49315) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — The New Ferry Building – Ellis IslandSave America’s Treasures — Statue of Liberty Nat’l Mon & Ellis Island
Restoration of the New Ferry Building on Ellis Island is being supported in part by a Federal Save America’s Treasures award administered by the National Park Service, Department of the Interior. New Ferry Building In 1999, the Statue of Liberty National Monument/Ellis Island was awarded a $1.2 million federal challenge grant from the Save America’s Treasures program to restore the New Ferry Building. New Jersey Governor Christine Todd Whitman’s advisory committee on Ellis Island helped . . . — Map (db m49291) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — The Pedestal
The granite pedestal of the Statue was paid for entirely by private funds raised in the United States. It was designed by the eminent American architect, Richard Morris Hunt, and engineered by former Civil War General, Charles P. Stone. Its variety of strong shapes and rich textures makes the pedestal seem less massive as it tapers gracefully upward. Roughly the height of a ten-story building, the tremendous structure rests on a huge concrete foundation that is anchored to surrounding Fort . . . — Map (db m49287) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — The Salt Marsh
Salt marshes like the one you are looking at, once lined the entire coast of New York Harbor. Most were filled as the Harbor became an industrial port. However, this remnant marsh teems with the life that results when brackish (salty) water meets fertile soil. The Liberty State Park Natural Area is the focus of many of the programs given by the Park Interpretive Center located just beyond this marsh. — Map (db m69424) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — The South Side of Ellis IslandStatue of Liberty Natl Mon/Ellis Island Immigration Museum
An Adventure in Stabilization Ellis Island The 29 buildings on the south side of Ellis Island comprise one of the largest hospitals to be built in the United States during the first decades of this [20th] century. With more than a quarter million square feet of enclosed space, the buildings and connecting corridors are a significant and unified architectural development. Once the island was vacated in 1954, maintenance of the buildings and grounds effectively ceased. After over forty . . . — Map (db m49309) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — U.S.S. Maine Memorial
In Memoriam U.S.S. Maine Destroyed in Havana Harbor February 15, 1898 This tablet is cast from metal recovered from the U.S.S. Maine Presented to the People of Jersey City, N.J. By General Joseph Wheeler Post No. 4 A.V.F.S. September 20, 1913 Rededicated by General Joseph Wheeler Post No. 62 V.F.W. September 20, 1975 — Map (db m6102) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — Why is the Statue Green?
The answer is in the air. The Statue’s skin is made of copper, and when copper is exposed to oxygen in the air, it undergoes a chemical reaction called oxidation. The reaction causes a fine crust or film to develop that is usually green in color. This layer protects the original metal underneath. In copper and bronze, this natural protective process is called Patination. It took nearly thirty years for the Statue to turn from her original copper color to the green you see today. . . . — Map (db m49289) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Kearny — LCpl Osbrany Montes De Oca Bridge
Osbrany Montes De Oca   LCpl KIA – 2/10/12 – Afghanistan Operation Enduring Freedom Memorial Bridge — Map (db m68677) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Kearny — Major General Philip Kearny
Erected by the town of Kearny Tercentenary Committee in memory of Major General Philip Kearny during the New Jersey Tercentenary year 1664 – 1964. — Map (db m6744) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Kearny — Route 7 BridgeBuilt 1915
This bridge was a heel-trunnion bascule built by the Strauss Bascule Bridge Co. of Chicago, Illinois. It was a popular and economic design in the early 1900’s. The first Strauss Bascule Bridge was built in 1905. The 1915 Route 7 bridge was deemed eligible for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places prior to its replacement in 2003. — Map (db m68681) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Secaucus — Secaucus War Memorial
For God and Country in memory of Joseph Hassenforder, who made the supreme sacrifice and in honor of the boys of Secaucus who served their country in the World War 1917 ––– 1918 Erected by the citizens of Secaucus, N.J. [ Lower plaque ] Raymond Frank Schopmann Cpl, United States Army Born November 9th, 1949 Casualty of the Vietnam War March 26th, 1968 — Map (db m25515) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Secaucus — Secaucus World War II Memorial
In loving memory of our war dead These members of the United States Armed Forces gave their lives in World War II to preserve us a free nation Franklin D. Roosevelt President of the United States Armondo A. Alvino • Thomas G. Blondel • Howard Bokel • Anthony F. Fusco • Angus J. Gillis • Edward I. Ivanoski • Fred H. Koelle, Jr. • Louis A. Lanza • William C. Mansfield • Edmund R. Naters • Edward C. Riedel • Martin J. Sampson • Frank L. Schultz • Paul Shetik • Adrian H. Smit • . . . — Map (db m25519) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Weehawken — Death Rock of Alexander Hamilton
Upon this stone rested the head of the patriot, soldier, statesman, and jurist Alexander Hamilton, after the duel with Aaron Burr. — Map (db m7332) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Weehawken — Highwood
In 1832, James Gore King (1791-1853), a New York banking magnate and son of statesman Rufus King, moved his family here to Weehawken, overlooking the Hudson. King was an early president of the Erie Railroad and served in the US Congress from 1849-1851. His house and expansive estate called Highwood became a gathering place for the wealthy and influential, including Charles Dickens, Washington Irving, Daniel Webster, and the poet Fitz-Greene Halleck. The spectacular grounds, extending down into . . . — Map (db m66642) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Weehawken — The Hamilton-Burr DuelJuly 11, 1804
The most famous duel in American History took place on this date at the dueling grounds in Weehakken, between political rivals, General Alexander Hamilton and sitting Vice President of the United States, Colonel Aaron Burr. Hamilton fell mortally wounded, and died the next day in New York City. Tragically, Hamilton’s son Philip had also met his death here in a duel in 1801. Dedicated on July 11, 2004, the 200th Anniversary of the Duel. — Map (db m7333) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Weehawken — Weehawken Dueling Grounds1700's – 1840's
Somewhere below this site, on a wooded ledge twenty feet above the Hudson River, lay the dueling grounds. Among the many known and unknown duelists who fought here were Governor of New York, DeWitt Clinton (1769-1828), Secretary of the Treasury, Alexander Hamilton (1755-1804), Vice-President Aaron Burr (1756-1836) and U.S. Navy Commodore Oliver Perry (1785-1819). All came to Weehawken to defend their honor, according to the custom of the day. Dedicated on July 11, 2004, the 200th Anniversary of the Hamilton-Burr Duel. — Map (db m7334) HM
94 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 543 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.