HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Huntingdon County Markers
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Huntingdon — David R. Porter
Ironmaster and Governor of the State, 1839-45, lived in this house. A leader in local affairs, he was called "our own Davy R." His son Horace, soldier and diplomat, was born here, 1837. — Map (db m52542) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Huntingdon — Founders Hall 1879 - 1979
Juniata acknowledges with gratitude those members of the Huntingdon community who made the construction of Founders Hall possible in 1879. On the occasion of its 100th Anniversary, the College expresses appreciation to those alumni and other friends who, a century later, provided for the renovation of this historic building. — Map (db m52602) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Huntingdon — Huntingdon County
Formed September 20, 1787 out of Bedford County. Named for the Countess of Huntingdon. Huntingdon, the county seat, was laid out in 1767. This county was developed by settlers attracted to its fertile agricultural land and its rich iron deposits. — Map (db m52579) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Huntingdon — Martin G. Brumbaugh
World War I Governor from 1915-19, one of the most prominent educators of the State, was born a few miles SW, April 14, 1862. Buried in Valley View Cemetery in the same neighborhood. In 1895-1906; 1924-30, he was President Juniata College. — Map (db m52351) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Huntingdon — McMurtrie Mansion
David McMurtrie built this house in 1817. A pioneer family; leaders in local political and business affairs. Now houses the Historical Society and the Library of Huntingdon County. —————— This home and the adjoining properties were given for the use of the Library and Historical Society of Huntingdon County by Miss Clara McMurtrie 1860 - 1952 — Map (db m52390) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Huntingdon — Onojutta Juniata Achsinnink Standing Stone
Erected Sept. 8th 1896 as a memorial of the ancient Standing Stone Removed by the Indians in 1754< —————— "The Standing Stone" Symbol of Huntingdon Rededicated March 29, 1996 in conjunction with the opening to the bicentennial celebration In memory of those who have come and gone, and in honor of those here now and those who are yet to come. — Map (db m52574) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Huntingdon — Rural Electrification
In 1936 seventy-five percent of Pennsylvania farms had no electric service. During the next five years, with Federal support, 14 consumer-owned cooperatives were formed in this State. Valley Rural Electric Cooperative, serving seven counties from headquarters at Huntingdon, was incorporated November 1, 1938. — Map (db m6754) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Huntingdon — Smithfield Township World War Memorial Honor Roll
To perpetuate the memory of the men of Smithfield Township who served their country in the World's War 1917-1919 [Honor Roll of Veterans] And to honor him who made the Supreme Sacrifice Corporal Thomas Davis McEwen Killed in action, Vesle River, Fismette, France August 8th, A.D. 1918 — Map (db m52603) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Huntingdon — Speer House
Home of R. Milton Speer Congressman, 1870-1874, and his Sons: William McMurtrie Speer, 1865-1923 Newspaperman and Lawyer Robert E. Speer, 1867-1947 Missionary Statesman and Church Leader Victor Speer, 1872-1909 Newspaperman and Poet This house was built in 1850 by Greenbury Dorsey on Lot No. 10 Owned originally by William Smith, D.D. Founder of Huntingdon in 1767 —————— American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site No. . . . — Map (db m52394) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Huntingdon — War Memorial
To Those Who Served Our Country In Time Of War ———— They Gave Their Today For Our Tomorrow — Map (db m52589) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Mount Union — Mount Union Area Veterans Memorial
To Honor All Veterans Serving In The Armed Forces In War And Peace [Panels Recognize Different Wars] Dedicated November 11, 1991 — Map (db m52590) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Mount Union — Site of National Steam Grist Mill
Constructed 1867 by Peter M. Bare — Map (db m52381) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Mount Union — Stone House
Erected 1841 by John Sharrar — Map (db m52385) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Obisonia — Bedford Furnace
First iron furnace in the Juniata region. Famous as a center for making quality charcoal iron. Located on Black Log Creek below its junction with Shade Creek. Completed about 1786. — Map (db m44766) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Orbisonia — Juniata Iron
Along the streams of this region are ruins of many charcoal iron furnaces and forges built between 1790 - 1850. Juniata iron was the best in America. Its reign ended with the rise of coal and coke iron making. — Map (db m44767) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Rockhill Furnace — East Broad Top Railroad
East Broad Top Railroad Has Been Designated A Registered National Historic Landmark Under the Provisions of The Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This Site Possesses Exceptional Value In Commemorating and Illustrating The History of the United States U.S. Department of the Interior National Park Service 1964 — Map (db m32389) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Shade Gap — Shadow of Death
The name applied to this locality by Conrad Weiser and other travellers on the Frankstown Path in the mid-18th century. Its local significance is now unknown. — Map (db m32404) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Shirleysburg — Fort Shirley
One of the chain of frontier defenses of the Province of Pennsylvania in the French and Indian Wars stood on this knoll, built 1756 by its Commander the noted Indian trader and agent George Croghan here in 1753 at the site of Aughwick Indian Town he had located his trading post and here September 3-6, 1754 Conrad Weiser the noted Indian interpreter and agent had held a conference with the great Iroquoian half king Tanacharisson and other chiefs . . . — Map (db m40042) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Shirleysburg — Fort Shirley
Built 1755-56 by George Croghan. First a stockade and then a major link in the frontier fort chain west of the Susquehanna. Base for the Armstrong expedition, 1756. Site on opposite knoll. — Map (db m44836) HM
19 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 133 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.