|Wisconsin (Iowa County), Arena — 7 — Village of Dover|
|Beginning in 1844, nearly 700 settlers were brought into this area by the British Temperance & Emigration Society, organized the previous year in Liverpool, England. By 1850 Dover boasted a hotel, post office, cooper, blacksmith, shoemaker, wagon shop and stores.
When the railroad chose Mazomanie for a depot site and made no stop in Dover, Doverites moved their houses into Mazomanie and Dover faded away to become a ghost town. A local boy who made good was John Appleby, inventor of the . . . — Map (db m6780) HM|
|Wisconsin (Iowa County), Dodgeville — 403 — Dodge's Grove and Fort Union|
|Arriving in Dodgeville in 1827, Henry Dodge, later renowned as a Black Hawk War military leader, territorial governor and state senator, began his Wisconsin career as a miner. In circa 1830, Dodge established living quarters and a large two-furnace smelting and mining operation at this site, a few miles south of Dodgeville. Bringing his family, slaves and about 200 miners to work at this location, Dodge constructed many log dwellings and a stockade, later known as Fort Union during the Black Hawk War. — Map (db m32450) HM|
|Wisconsin (Iowa County), Dodgeville — 250 — Iowa County Courthouse|
|This is the oldest courthouse in Wisconsin. Construction started June 11, 1859. It was dedicated in 1861, enlarged in 1894 and again in 1927. In 1937 the Doric columns, pediment and cupola were restored exactly as the 1859 original. In 1969 the interior was completely renovated to better utilize space.
It is Iowa County's fourth courthouse. The first three were located in Mineral Point, the county seat from 1829 to 1861. The design is Greek Revival and the material is native Galena . . . — Map (db m71717) HM|
|Wisconsin (Iowa County), Dodgeville — 38 — Old Military Road|
|You are traveling the route of the Old Military Road, built in 1835-36, to connect Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien and Fort Howard at Green Bay, via Fort Winnebago at "The Portage" between the Fox-Wisconsin rivers. The section from Prairie du Chien to Fort Winnebago was built by soldiers from Fort Crawford, under command of Colonel (later president) Zachary Taylor. The road was crudely constructed two rods in width, with corduroy over the marshy places. Describing his travels over this road . . . — Map (db m36908) HM|
|Wisconsin (Iowa County), Mineral Point — 335 — Fort Defiance|
|Fort Defiance was one of the last garrisoned stockade forts constructed in territorial Wisconsin. Located in the booming lead mining region, an area of early settlement, the fort was built by local settlers in 1832 when developing tensions over Indian rights erupted in the Black Hawk War. Although Fort Defiance did not undergo attack, it did have a garrison of about forty militia men who were said to be among the best drilled in the territory. The fort stood on the hill about 300 yards east of . . . — Map (db m32043) HM|
|Wisconsin (Iowa County), Mineral Point — 343 — Historic Mineral Point|
|In the 1820s, after hearing reports of abundant lead in the area, prospective miners with "lead fever" began pouring into southwestern Wisconsin. Finding ore just beneath the surface, miners set up "diggings" and soon established Mineral Point. It quickly became the regional center for land sales and government. In 1836, the Territory's first governor, Henry Dodge, was inaugurated here and served his first term out of Mineral Point. Immigrant Cornish miners brought advanced hard-rock and deep . . . — Map (db m35335) HM|
|Wisconsin (Iowa County), Mineral Point — 433 — Laurence F. Graber — "Mister Alfalfa"|
|In 1887, Professor Laurence F. Graber was born on a nearby Mineral Point farm about three miles southwest of this location. In 1910, he began his career as an agronomy instructor at the University of Wisconsin - Madison and was given the responsibility of increasing alfalfa acreage throughout the state. Graber received his doctorate from the University of Chicago and became an eminent agricultural scientist. He helped to develop superior winter hardy varieties of alfalfa seed and discovered new . . . — Map (db m71721) HM|
|Wisconsin (Iowa County), Mineral Point — 5 — Shake Rag|
|In the 1830’s, tin miners from Cornwall, England started coming to S. W. Wisconsin to work the newly discovered lead ore deposits. In certain localities they built their stone cottages similar to the ones of their homeland.
Shake Rag, the greatest concentration of these homes, was so named because at meal time the shaking of rags by the womenfolk would call the men from the mines on the opposite hill. — Map (db m2968) HM|
|Wisconsin (Iowa County), Mineral Point — 472 — Site of Fort Jackson|
|In June, 1832, an alarm spread throughout the mining region that Black Hawk and his band were on the march north from Illinois. Hastily built stockades were erected throughout the lead region. Fort Jackson was built on this site using vertically placed logs arranged in a square that enclosed cabins housing the garrison and their families. Two-story blockhouses fitted with gun ports were installed on the southeast and northwest corners. Fort Jackson served mainly to distribute military supplies . . . — Map (db m32065) HM|
|Wisconsin (Iowa County), Mineral Point — 137 — Wisconsin Territory|
|On July 4, 1836, here in Mineral Point, Col. Henry Dodge took the oath of office to become the first Governor of the newly-created Territory of Wisconsin. This Territory, previously attached to Michigan, embraced the vast and important area of what is now the states of Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota and portions of North and South Dakota. — Map (db m35336) HM|
|Wisconsin (Iowa County), Spring Green — 134 — Frank Lloyd Wright|
|Frank Lloyd Wright, Wisconsin-born, world-renowned architect, lived and worked in Wyoming Valley, 6 miles southwest of here, at Taliesin, his home and school for apprentices. In the practice of "organic" or natural architecture, he sought to blend structure with site, to create harmonious surroundings for the occupants, to bring the outdoors indoors, and to use materials naturally.
Among Wright's many innovations were the pre-fabricated house, gravity heat, indirect lighting, concrete . . . — Map (db m19276) HM|
|Wisconsin (Iowa County), Spring Green — 404 — Military River Crossing|
|In this vicinity, during the Black Hawk War of 1832, General Henry Atkinson and approximately 1,000 soldiers crossed the Wisconsin River in pursuit of Sac Indian leader Black Hawk and his followers. On July 26th, at the old abandoned Village of Helena, the soldiers dismantled the village's buildings to make rafts for the crossing. — Map (db m19150) HM|