|Alabama (Jackson County), Bridgeport — Bridgeport|
| Vital Memphis-Charleston Railroad, "backbone of Confederacy", spanned Tennessee River here. Bridge burned several times, 1862-3.
Gen. Mitchell (US), occupying Huntsville after Battle of Shiloh, seized Bridgeport in April 1862 and held it until August.
Federals recaptured town in July 1863 as Rosecrans (US) took Chattanooga (up river).
As end of usable railway from Nashville, town became key base of operations in U.S. victory at Chickamauga and lifting siege of Chattanooga. — Map (db m12283) HM|
|Alabama (Jackson County), Bridgeport — Rocky Springs Church of Christ|
|Oldest Church of Christ
in the State
1807 - 1976
the Alabama Society
Daughters of the American Revolution — Map (db m71538) HM|
|Alabama (Jackson County), Hollywood — Bellefonte Cemetery / Town of Bellefonte|
|(Front): Before the courthouse was completed, the community selected a location for a cemetery. The highest elevation in Bellefonte's corporate limits was chosen as the town's burial place. The earliest inscribed marker in Bellefonte Cemetery bears the date 1826.
The Civil War exacted a heavy toll on Bellefonte. The Federal Army burned the courthouse and the town never recovered. The town square was sold at public auction in 1878. Only the Bellefonte Cemetery remains of the bustling . . . — Map (db m30138) HM|
|Alabama (Jackson County), Langston — History of Langston|
|The small village of Coffeetown, located to the southeast of what is now Langston, was established in the 1810s. Coffeetown faded away in 1869 when most of its residents moved to Texas. It was then that James Morgan sold 15 acres in town lots and the town of Langston was born. The town was named for Langston Coffee, the first postmaster. When river transportation thrived in the 1800s and early 1900, Langston prospered. Langston once had five physicians, a livery stable, stores, jail, school, . . . — Map (db m70116) HM|
|Alabama (Jackson County), Paint Rock — The History of Paint Rock, Alabama / Paint Rock Arrests in 1931 Began 'Scottsboro Boys' Cases|
The History of Paint Rock, Alabama
Originally Camden circa 1830, the post office was renamed Redman in 1846 and became Paint Rock on May 17, 1860. After the Memphis and Charleston Railroad Co. built a depot and water tower in 1856, the village thrived as a farm to market center. Four battles were waged nearby during the Civil War and Union troops guarded the railroad.
Early industries included a mill to grind corn and wheat, a pencil mill, and two mills made . . . — Map (db m69756) HM|
|Alabama (Jackson County), Rocky Springs — Trail of Tears|
|In May 1838 soldiers, under the command of U.S. Army General Winfield Scott, began rounding up Cherokee Indians in this area who had refused to move to Indian Territory in Oklahoma. About 16,000 Cherokees were placed in stockades in Tennessee and Alabama until their removal. Roughly 3,000 were sent by boat down the Tennessee River and the rest were marched overland in the fall and winter of 1838-1839. This forced-removal under harsh conditions resulted in the deaths of about 4,000 . . . — Map (db m18047) HM|
|Alabama (Jackson County), Scottsboro — Gen. Andrew Jackson — Soldier, Statesman, 7th President U.S.A.|
|Jackson County was created by the State Legislature on December 13, 1819 while in session in Huntsville, Ala. The county was named in honor of Gen. Andrew Jackson who was visiting in Huntsville at the time.
This Statue was presented by the Citizens of Jackson County during the year of the Bicentennial 1776 - 1976 — Map (db m22262) HM|
|Alabama (Jackson County), Scottsboro — Jackson County Courthouse And The Scottsboro Boys|
Constructed in 1911-1912 and designed by architect Richard H. Hunt, the Jackson County Courthouse is a Neo-Classical, brick building situated on a town square in Scottsboro, the county seat of Jackson County. The front, two-story portico is supported by four stone columns of the Doric order. A cupola on the top contains a Seth Thomas clock.
This courthouse was the site of the first of the Scottsboro Boys trials. Two white women accused nine black teenagers of rape on . . . — Map (db m22264) HM|
|Alabama (Jackson County), Scottsboro — Robert Thomas Scott — 1800-1863|
|Planter, tavern operator, newspaper editor, legislator, and land developer, he sought in vain to have the Jackson County seat moved from Bellefont to the settlement that bore his name. After his death in 1863, his widow reached an agreement in 1868 with the county government whereby the site for the courthouse and jail was deeded to Jackson County on condition that Scottsboro become the county seat.
Incorporated by the state legislature on January 20, 1870, the town became an important . . . — Map (db m22260) HM|
|Alabama (Jackson County), Scottsboro — Scottsboro Railroad Depot|
|The Memphis and Charleston Railroad Company constructed the Scottsboro Railroad Depot in 1860-1861 as a passenger and freight facility. The rail line ran throughout the Confederacy and the Union considered its capture vital to cutting off supplies to the south. On January 8, 1865, the Depot was the site of an intense battle between 101st U.S. Colored Infantry and the 110th U.S. Colored Infantry, who held the Depot, and Confederate soldiers led by Brigadier-General H. B. Lyon. The out-numbered . . . — Map (db m22258) HM|
|Alabama (Jackson County), Stevenson — Crow Town|
| Side A One of the Five Lower Towns established by the Chickamauga Cherokees in 1782 under the leadership of Dragging Canoe. Territorial Governor William Blount reported to the Secretary of War in 1792 that: “Crow Town lies on the north side of the Tennessee (River), half a mile from the river, up Crow Creek, 30 miles below the Suck. (It) is the lowest town in the Cherokee Nation and contained 30 huts in 1790. The Creeks and Northward tribes cross (the river) here.”
All of . . . — Map (db m28473) HM|
|Alabama (Jackson County), Stevenson — Fort Harker|
|Constructed by the Union Army in the summer of 1862 and expanded in 1864, using soldiers and freed slaves, Ft. Harker was built on a broad hill a quarter mile east of town. It overlooked Crow Creek and was well within firing range of Stevenson's strategic railroad lines, supply depots and warehouses.
Ft. Harker was an earthen redoubt, 150 fee square, with walls 14 feet high, surrounded by an 8 foot deep dry powder moat. It contained 7 cannon platforms, a bomb-proof powder magazine, a . . . — Map (db m27944) HM|
|Alabama (Jackson County), Stevenson — Stevenson Depot and Hotel|
|A one-story depot building was constructed here in 1853, when the railroad was first laid through Stevenson. That building burned after the Civil War and was replaced by the present brick depot and hotel in 1872.
During the Civil War, Stevenson was a hub of activity. Union and Confederate troops skirmished here and the town changed hands more than once, though Stevenson mostly lay under Union control. Troops occupied the town and a large refugee camp sprang up between the depot and Ft. . . . — Map (db m22271) HM|
|Alabama (Jackson County), Woodville — Decatur County — 1821~1825|
|Created by an Act of the Legislature on December 7, 1821, Decatur County was comprised of portions of Madison and Jackson Counties. "Old Woodville," two miles north along County Highway 7, was designated as the County Seat. An 1823-‘24 completed survey revealed that it did not contain the constitutionally required number of square miles. The county was abolished by an Act of the Legislature on December 28, 1825, and the territory was returned to Madison and Jackson Counties. — Map (db m33314) HM|