HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Jackson County Markers
Georgia (Jackson County), Braselton — 78-3 — The Braselton Family
In 1876 William H. Braselton, Sr. and his wife, Susan Hosch Braselton, established a 796-acre farm in western Jackson County . The Braseltonsí children, Henry, Green, John Oliver, Belle, and Lena , grew up working on the family farm, developing several support businesses such as a store and fertilizer operation. The arrival of first the railroad in 1902 and then a state highway in 1927 allowed expansion of farming operations. In 1916 the town of Braselton was incorporated. In addition to the . . . — Map (db m24176) HM
Georgia (Jackson County), Braselton — The Braselton School Bell
Originally located in the bell tower of the Braselton High School, the bell was commissioned by Senator Isaac Frank Duncan for all students from 1920 until 1957. The school was built by the Town of Braseltonís founders, and when it closed in 1957, the bell was returned to Senator Duncanís family. The bell was later donated to the Town by the children of Green and May Braselton who were the Senatorís grandchildren. The restored school bell is a symbol of pride for Braselton, where . . . — Map (db m18270) HM
Georgia (Jackson County), Commerce — 78-2 — Home of Governor L.G. Hardman ó (1856-1937)
Lamartine Griffin Hardman was governor of Georgia from 1927 to 1931. A physician, businessman, manufacturer, and farmer, Hardman served in the Georgia house and senate before becoming governor. In the state legislature, Hardman sponsored legislation that created the State Board of Health and the State College of Agriculture, and supported statewide prohibition measures. As governor, Hardman laid the groundwork for comprehensive state government reorganization. Construction on the . . . — Map (db m22967) HM
Georgia (Jackson County), Hoschton — 78-1 — Hoschton Train Depot
The four Hosch brothers founded Hoschton in 1881 in the hope of influencing the proposed route of the Gainesville, Jefferson and Southern Railroad. In 1833 this depot was built on land donated by the brothers. The railroad transformed the town and surrounding areas, serving as a catalyst for the development of commerce, agriculture, education, industry, communications, and transportation. The railroad provided a link with other Georgia communities, opened the market for the regionís . . . — Map (db m18272) HM
Georgia (Jackson County), Jefferson — Builder of the Nation
This steam locomotive was presented to the City of Jefferson in 1959 by the Seaboard Air Line Railroad Company as a permanent exhibit in memory of the important service engines of this type gave to the nation. It was one of the last steam-powered locomotives to operate in this section of the country. It was built in 1907 and was last operated on the Gainesville Midland Railroad. — Map (db m24720) HM
Georgia (Jackson County), Jefferson — 078-1 — Jackson County
This County, created by Act of the Legislature February 11, 1796, is named for James Jackson who later became Governor in 1798-1801. A soldier of the Revolution he served in Congress 1789-91 and in the Senate 1793-95 and 1801-06. He strongly opposed the Yazoo fraud, and died in 1806. Here in Jefferson ether was first used as an anaesthetic in surgery by Dr. Crawford W. Long on March 30, 1842. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff John Hart, Clerk of Superior Court George Taylor, Clerk . . . — Map (db m26155) HM
Georgia (Jackson County), Nicholson — Antioch United Methodist Church
Antioch Church was founded in Jackson County, Georgia in 1799, on land given by the James Glenn family. The original building, along with an 1825 addition, stands to the rear of the present sanctuary forming the "T" and was bricked over in 1954 with the construction of the new building. The fellowship hall was added in 1985. The church bicentennial was held Sunday, September 12, 1999, during annual homecoming service. Antioch has been designated Historic Site number 369 by the North Georgia . . . — Map (db m26023) HM
7 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 125 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.